• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I guess I'm showing my age but my favorite old school Disney movie is Bedknobs and Broomsticks. This is mainly because it was the first movie I was ever taken to, as a very small girl. My parents had me when they were still in college, so there was very little money for extras in the early years. Things changed as I got older, but I still remember those times when splitting a Twinpop popsicle with my brother was a treat, and going to the movies was a really big deal. So that movie will always loom in my memory as a wonderful occasion.

As for nutrition, I'm the one who asked the question because I want to do better than last year. Last year I had a BCAA drink in the morning because it was recommended by a friend of mine who owns a nutrition store. I brought a cup of hot tea with me and sipped it as I waited for the bus, and I brought a plain bagel that I nibbled in the corral. I also brought some Honey Stinger chews in my running belt, but I should have trued them in advance because I ended up not liking them at all. I ate all the bananas that were handed out; those really appealed to me (I resisted the urge to make a pun there). I even--and I suppose I should be ashamed to admit this but I'm not--picked up a banana that someone left intact on a guardrail (I guess they changed their mind) and ate that too. But I'm planning on trying the Honey Stinger waffles on my long run next weekend and seeing how they go. If I like them I may carry a few for the marathon, because I don't want those fruit chews again. Those just seemed to stay on my teeth forever.
I watched Bedknobs after Angela Lansbury died 🙁. I actually watched BatB the weekend before and went with Bedknobs to get both her Disney movies.

SAFD- Peter Pan, but Rescuers would be a close second.

Nutrition- I don’t really have a routine. I never wanted to be stuck “needing” a particular food. Leading up to a race I just try to drink more. I eat carb heavy all the time so that’s not an issue. Morning of at Disney I usually do a bagel and bring a Luna bar for just before. At home before a long run it’s bagel, toast, oatmeal, granola bar or sometimes a donut. I like to keep my stomach guessing 😂 After I’m not picky either but I like something carby with a fresh fruit or veggie like carrot sticks. Hard boiled eggs are good too. And I like some ice cold coke. Sometimes I’ll do an omelet with chocolate milk. And a lot of times I eat chipotle because I finish my run so late in the day.

SAFD: Robin Hood. I loved this move so much as a kid. I was so happy to see characters on course for the marathon this year.

2. I don’t follow any strict nutrition plan the day before a race other than lots of water and electrolytes. For a race, I generally eat oatmeal for breakfast and then carry Glukos packs for electrolytes/blood sugar. I’ve been using honey stinger waffles while running because I find they’re easy to eat and enough to get me through…but I’m getting tired of them since they’re pretty overly sweet. i want to experiment with new things but will probably just stick with the waffles until after Dopey.

SAFD: Tough to pick a favourite but I'll go in a little different direction and pick Fantasia. (and just thinking about it now makes me want to re watch it). I love every single minute of that movie - and it's the first appearance of sorcerer Mickey!

Nutrition: My one piece of advice is don't take nutrition advice from me. I'm all in on the Jai Alai hydration method.

SAFD: 100% Lion King.

Nutrition: I try to drink more water leading up to race day. Breakfast leading up is always a bagel with peanut butter and honey, lunch is normally chicken, spinach, and mac and cheese or rice, then dinner leading up is whatever my husband cooks. Dinner the night before is ALWAYS pizza. Breakfast before the race is always a bagel with PB/honey and a banana. During the race, I use huma gels and honey stinger chews. I also normally carry my own gatorade and then just get water on course.

SAFD: Bedknobs and Broomsticks is one that I recall watching a lot when I was young. The scene where she brings all the armor to life was my favorite. I would walk around saying the spell. LOL. The original Pete's Dragon was another one. For some reason I was fascinated with Elliot cooking an apple straight off the tree with his fire. Of course there was all the Herbie movies. My mom loved them. So we used to watch them all the time. Herbie Goes Bananas is one I think we watched the most.

Last edited:
SAFD: Mary Poppins is my absolute favorite, it has meant even more to me since seeing Saving Mr Banks.
Also - in the late 80's/early 90's I used to love watching the Sing Along Songs VCR tapes, especially the ones that featured the parks. I was a teenager then, and clinging to the nostalgia of my youth!

Nutrition: I actually went totally vegan almost 5 years ago because I wanted to see if it helped my GI issues with endurance events, and it made a huge difference. The night before a big race, I try to stick with a rice-based dish, something topped with some veggies and tofu. Pre-race, it's a Clif bar and a coffee. During the race, I sip Tailwind the whole way and take Shot Blok chews (I can't handle the texture of gels). Post-race, I eat a banana and try to nibble on some chips. I usually want something salty and carby several hours later - think french fries or ramen.

Also - in the late 80's/early 90's I used to love watching the Sing Along Songs VCR tapes, especially the ones that featured the parks. I was a teenager then, and clinging to the nostalgia of my youth!
I had a VHS singalong that I loved! Can’t believe I forgot about it, especially since someone I follow on IG used it as a Wine and Dine costume this year!

SAFD: Mary Poppins is my absolute favorite, it has meant even more to me since seeing Saving Mr Banks.

Nutrition: I actually went totally vegan almost 5 years ago because I wanted to see if it helped my GI issues with endurance events, and it made a huge difference. The night before a big race, I try to stick with a rice-based dish, something topped with some veggies and tofu. Pre-race, it's a Clif bar and a coffee. During the race, I sip Tailwind the whole way and take Shot Blok chews (I can't handle the texture of gels). Post-race, I eat a banana and try to nibble on some chips. I usually want something salty and carby several hours later - think french fries or ramen.
I had those VHS's too! "I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street USA."

SAFD: I keep typing and erasing what my favourite old school Disney movie is. I remember watching Cinderella in English (before I could speak English) on repeat, so I think I’ll go with that one. We’ve started watching all the classics with our boys, and I’m loving reliving my childhood movies.

As for nutrition, I’m still figuring it out. I’ll usually have an English muffin with almond butter and honey before, and then alternate between cliff blocks and gels during the race. Still haven’t figured out what to do afterwards. I had a half in September where they gave us breakfast sandwiches after, and I only managed to take one bite before handing it to my husband.

Trying to buy Taylor Swift tickets is giving me unwelcome flashbacks to MW registration lol
Had similar thoughts when I went to buy Springsteen tickets a couple months ago. Then an even worse thought hit me...what if Run Disney moved to dynamic demand pricing like TicketMaster has done?

Trying to buy Taylor Swift tickets is giving me unwelcome flashbacks to MW registration lol
Haha. My daughter had the entire family put their email into the drawing last week. Three of us were selected and got the text code yesterday. I haven't asked how it's going today. Got to imagine the servers got bombed. She added two more shows out here, so three shows all together.

Last year--my first marathon--I just ate whatever they handed out and drank at almost all the hydration points, whether it was water or that unpredictably-mixed sports drink they were serving. I don't think I have enough experience yet as a runner to do anything more this year.
I will say that I have learned a lot from other runners about nutrition, including a race saving risk that I had to take before my first marathon. For perspective, I sometimes have a difficult time keeping any food down before 8:00am. Obviously, this is a bad point to start with for races, so for years, my go to half marathon breakfast had been applesauce. Problem is that since I was running Dopey, 3 consecutive mornings of applesauce were telling me that there was no way I could handle applesauce 4 mornings in a row. Desperately, I remembered so many people saying that their pre race breakfast was a plain bagel with peanut butter. Since I like peanut butter and bagels are fine, I decided to "break" the nothing new on race day rule. My old standby would not work, so that's bad. Nothing before a marathon, especially my first is probably worse, so I went with what my body was telling me.

Two pieces of good news here. First it worked. Second it worked so well that it is my new race day breakfast.

On the course, I take a Huma gel every 45 minutes and then work whatever nutrition is offered along the course into the mix. I used to eat clif bloks, but was struggling to take enough fuel in during marathon training. Huma gels did the trick. I may not finish every banana along the course, but I know they're important nutrition so I finish what I can until my body says "no more."
SAFD: Has to be The Jungle Book. My dad took me and my middle brother to see it in the theater when it first came out. I was 6 at the time and got very upset and was crying when Baloo had “died”. My dad held me in his lap to comfort me until Baloo was alive again. My favorite memory of any movie ever!
Reminds of the third time I saw The Rise of Skywalker in theaters. A little girl next to me was absolutely devastated and heartbroken when Chewbacca was "killed." It took a lot of willpower not to tell her that it would be okay and Chewbacca was not really dead.
SAFD: I'm going "oldest school" with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Indicative of the creative genius of Disney Studios and the technological advancements in animation that were introduced with that movie.
I'm not sure we fully appreciate just how important Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is to animation. At the time it was a huge risk. People thought it would devastate the studio. Hollywood called it Walt's Folly. Then we know what happened. No matter what your favorite animated movie is, it owes a huge debt to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

SAFD: And while I'm also unsure as to what constitutes old school, mine is Sleeping Beauty, which I'm sure is shocking given my avatar on these boards. The film is absolutely gorgeous and the dragon fight sequence remains one of the greatest things I have ever seen in theaters. In 2008, in advance of the films 50th anniversary, Disney gave it a 3 week run at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. Even though I know every beat of the movie very well, the dragon fight sequence felt incredibly exciting and exhilarating on the big screen.

SAFD: I would have to go with Sword in the Stone. My mom tells me that I watched it on repeat to the tune of like 6 or 7 times a day for a long time. I watched it a couple weeks ago when I was having a bad day (Disney movies in bed never fail to make me feel better), and all of the nostalgia of watching it as a kid came rushing back. "I'm a boy. I tried to tell you."

As far as nutrition goes, it has been 8 years since I've done any sort of long-distance race. I remember for my one marathon in 2014 that I did GU gels starting around mile 10 and took one every 5 miles, which seemed to work well for me. The fruit-flavored ones gave my stomach the least trouble (my first one ever was on my first half marathon where the race handed them out at mile 8. I got a vanilla custard one by luck of the draw and almost vomited when it hit my taste buds. haha!), which leads me to my biggest recommendation: figure out what flavors do the best with your stomach regardless of what gel or chew that you choose; they are not all created equal. I second the plain bagel with peanut butter and banana recommendation on race day before the race, and chocolate milk is my favorite recovery beverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter