• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I didn’t set goals earlier, but I’m doing Dopey again and this time I’m running the 5k with DD, the 10k with DS, and the half with someone doing his first half marathon. So my goals are to have fun with the kids during their races and help my friend stay ahead of the balloon ladies during the half. I’ll be solo on the full and have no specific goals other than to have fun and not get injured. I tweaked my knee somehow this weekend, so I cut my long run and am resting it for now. Grounding yourself this close to the end is hard, but I keep telling myself getting injured is a far worse outcome…

When biking- do I bike for a time equivalent to running miles or overall mileage? The interwebs say 1:3 which is what I've done but I want to be sure that's getting me where I need to be training wise... as much as it can since running and biking aren't the same. For example, I had a 4-mile easy run today on my plan so I cycled for 12 miles. The 4 mile run would take me 1 hour but the bike ride took me 40 minutes.

So I guess my question is- should I have continued biking for the hour and not worried about the mileage to have the equivalent time that the plan called for?

My personal experience from using an indoor bike as a replacement for running was that biking needed to be about 1.5-2x the duration of the scheduled run at a similar effort level to be roughly the equivalent workout. So if you were scheduled for a 60 min easy run, then it would take 90-120 min of easy biking to be near the same workout. Be careful jumping straight into a replacement of running with indoor biking as you could cause an overuse injury if your body isn't use to that volume of biking.

SAFD: My goal was:
"My goal is to simply enjoy a relaxing weekend of running. I'm in for Dopey and plan to tackle it at comfortable training paces as a mid-training cycle check-in for my March 100k."

I guess I'm still partly to mostly on track, maybe? I've had to cut my pacing way back here lately as I work on my posterior tibialis issue. This past week has been the best set of runs I've had in a couple of months, with yesterday's 14 miler (reduced from 16 for time on feet purposes) being as close to normal feeling as I've had in a long time. I'm hesitant to get too positive about it, though, as the only thing consistent about this issue has been its inconsistency. I could go out Tue or Wed and have it blow up again and it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

It's really hard to relax and enjoy the running with that fear hanging over me. I'm at the point where if this isn't resolved by Dopey I'm going to have to reconsider my March race. Fingers crossed, though, at least it's trending in the right direction.

As far as meet-ups go, I should be in for most of them. Definitely HH and DATW and pre-race if I can find them. I roll solo for MW so the meetups are my social time.

In the same boat. Well, coming out of it. I just finished my 5th run following a week of rest due to Achilles pain. So far it’s going well and haven’t had any pain. It will be worth the rest. If you have a cross training option available that you can do without pain, use it. I didn’t have a bike or anything so it was pretty total rest but I did some body weight strength and core workouts and took a slow walk after several days. Keep it up!
FWIW, I don’t think my endurance took much of a hit. I missed running but so far, I feel like I’m picking up where I left off. I am doing shorter runs because I want to ramp up slowly to avoid reinjury, not because I can’t do the distance. I’m slowly getting back to my plan with some shuffling and shortening of runs.
Yeah, I’ve got the stationary bike, and now I’ve got a real bike if the roads are decent. And I’m under orders to start with just a mile when I get back to running. Thankfully, I don’t have any hard-scheduled races (just virtual ones) until Princess, so I have plenty of time to do the rest and slow ramp up properly.

My personal experience from using an indoor bike as a replacement for running was that biking needed to be about 1.5-2x the duration of the scheduled run at a similar effort level to be roughly the equivalent workout. So if you were scheduled for a 60 min easy run, then it would take 90-120 min of easy biking to be near the same workout. Be careful jumping straight into a replacement of running with indoor biking as you could cause an overuse injury if your body isn't use to that volume of biking.
This is where I am as well. I sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago on a lake effect snow research project and have been using the bike to keep my endurance up while my ankle heals. I'm also an indoor cycle/spin instructor, so 60 min on the bike is pretty natural to me.

I'm doing around 1.5x on the bike in terms of time duration of the workout not concerned about distance.

SAFD: IDK if I had any goals, but if I did they’re entirely out the window now. I’m going in goal-less. I still don’t have a full answer to what’s going on with my body, but a recent test result confirms it’s not my imagination, or a lack of fitness, or a lack of mental toughness responsible for the pain and fatigue preventing me from training like I’m used to: it’s my body attacking itself. 0% chance that’s magically fixed by MW, so I have NO idea what to expect… I could pull off a marathon with only 16 miles as my longest training run if I have a good day, or I could pull myself at 3 if it’s a bad day. Genuinely no clue what’s coming! I feel like I need an easily attainable goal… I’m “only” registered for the 10K and full, so maybe it’s a jumping pic with SE from each race.

SAFD: My only goals are to finish each race. I came out of W&D feeling great and ready to conquer Dopey. But then everything came crashing down. I started having hip pain in my left hip, which was totally new. Previously I was dealing with IT band issues on the right side, but the left was completely out of nowhere. Still fighting that. Not getting in the runs I need to be, but running on an injury seems like a bad idea, so I've been doing what I can. I'm hoping things are getting better by Marathon weekend. I have my final long run on Sunday and I really want to accomplish it. I need this "win" on my scorecard for my confidence. :(

SAFD: Found my response to the original question - the only pre-MW goal was to improve on my training. I think I'm doing well on that (though not where I had wanted to be - but still better than last year!)

I will try to make the pre-race meetups - at least for the half and full.

HH is still a TBD - I've got Epcot booked that day as a park so at the very least I should be able to sneak out for 1 drink!

DATW - not this time - but I do plan to make it one of these years! We're planning on MK open to close (with the party) that day!

I have Tuli’s classic (they are yellow). Looks like they also have a heavy duty version.

SAFD: I forgot to answer the part about meet ups. I don’t think I’ll be able to do HH bc I’ll be at DHS (maybe I can leave the park and come back depending on how logistically easy that is?
DHS to HH is super easy -- just take the boat, get off a the Yacht/Beach Club stop and walk to the end of the dock. It's right there!
Is anyone else doing MW for GOTR Central Florida? I am getting my 10K bib through them. I reached my release fundraising amount back in October and emailed them, but it was when the hurricane came through so I was not surprised to not hear back. I reached out again and heard back with a registration link, but they sent me the wrong link (it was for W&D and didn't work). I have then reached out to them multiple times since then to let them know this via both email and text and have still not heard back. I'm kind of frustrated and also stressed that I do not actually have a 10K bib in my name yet.
I would be, too! Some (if not all) of the regional branches are volunteer-run, so it can be difficult to reach the right person, especially if they aren't doing it full time. Maybe try contacting GOTR's national org to see if they can do anything from their end? They list this number and email on their website: info@girlsontherun.org. Phone: 800.901.9965

I think I'd try calling first and just see if they can help you cut through the clutter and at least find out who at the local level has the info you need.

SAFD: My goals for this year's Dopey was

5k - 22 min
10k - 45 min
Half - 1:40
Marathon: 3:45-4 hrs

I was one pace for all of this but then developed something going on with the inside of right ankle after running a half marathon a couple of weekends ago. All symptoms point to tendonitis. The area right behind my ankle bone is painful for the first 3/4 mile or so and then loosens up. The pain is noticeable after that, but not as much as when I first start the run. With that, I have had to slow down my pace a little. Hoping that since my long run training is done for now that it will help out and not be an issue come MW.

Meet ups: Possibly able to make it over to HH for the meet up. If we are at Epcot or DHS, I told my fam I would probably ditch them for a little bit for the meet up.

SAFD: I'm registered for everything but the full. My goals are:
1. Have fun and enjoy my solo trip. I'm leaving my 3 kids and DH at home. This will be my 3rd time doing this for MW and I cherish this time.
2. Commit to a strength training routine. I've got a good running base now, so it's time to build up those muscles!
3. Work on speed so I can enjoy the races. I know that sounds weird, but I want to have time to stop for pics and soak it all in so I need to be able to move a bit faster during the boring parts.
4. Attend the HH meetup. I had so much fun meeting everyone last year!
5. Pre race meet ups. I missed these this year so hopefully I'll catch one next year!

SAFD- goals progress
1. I should have no problem with this. Have planned a restful trip with several days just lounging around or going to DS.
2. I started going to the gym on my lunch hour a few days week back in October. I haven't been totally consistent, but it's better than nothing!
3. I've definitely gotten faster this year, but I still need some major work on this.
4. Planning to be at HH again! Got a Beaches and Cream reservation at 1pm and then I'll head over.
5. Pre race- hoping to catch at least one of these.

DATW- can't make it. Unfortunately I'm leaving Sunday morning (as of right now). I'm thinking of switching to a later flight to avoid some of the marathon morning traffic, but I want to see the course map first to decide if this is really worth it.

SAFD:

I don't seem to have posted goals at the time, but I have not been too ambitious. I mostly just want to finish! I'm in much better shape that I was last year (injured 6:23 finish) and believe that a sub-5:30 is likely and a sub-5:00 is possible in good weather. But I'll call it a win if I can finish.

I'll meet up before the marathon, but otherwise have plans with the family.

I didn't register early enough to be a part of the goals. I think I got in for the marathon in June and then upgraded to Goofy thereafter.

I basically had to skip most of October and November training-wise after a DNF in Chicago and then a DNS in Indy. Training just got going again this past week (December mileage already > November mileage), so my #1 goal is to get to the Half starting line healthy and then my #2 goal is to finish the Full without injury.

I suppose another goal should be to finish the Half without any major chafing... my DD and I are doing the Half together and apparently I agreed to be a dinosaur and she will be Dr. Seeker from Dinosaur. I've never run/raced with a costume so this should be a fun experience.

I didn't register early enough to be a part of the goals. I think I got in for the marathon in June and then upgraded to Goofy thereafter.

I basically had to skip most of October and November training-wise after a DNF in Chicago and then a DNS in Indy. Training just got going again this past week (December mileage already > November mileage), so my #1 goal is to get to the Half starting line healthy and then my #2 goal is to finish the Full without injury.

I suppose another goal should be to finish the Half without any major chafing... my DD and I are doing the Half together and apparently I agreed to be a dinosaur and she will be Dr. Seeker from Dinosaur. I've never run/raced with a costume so this should be a fun experience.
That is great! I love the dinosaur/Dr. Seeker coordinating costumes. Will this be one of those giant inflatable dinosaur costumes?

SAFD: I don't think I wrote goals before, but I've always had the same two for my first half marathon:

1) Start - preferably uninjured
2) Finish - cross the finish line on my own two feet

Not super confident about either one of these at this point because I am still SO slow, and I have just seen how illness can wipe out my training, so I guess goal 0.5 needs to be: stay healthy so I can keep training!

Can someone help me feel better about the marathon medal? Every time I look at it I feel sad lol. I hate the big 30. I wish they had done something like this (inspired by DLP) if they were that insistent on incorporating the 30. That way it also looks like Mickey ears:

View attachment 722739
While I don't like that Mickey and Minnie are so small on the medal, I do like that the marathon medal has all 4 park icons.
I can't help you feel better about the medal. We can hold out hope for a really cool ear hat for finishers, right?!
I'm fully expecting wildly crazy neon finisher ears. We'll see if I like them. But will I wear them in the parks? Yes.
I like 2Toms SportShield for chafing. Discovered them at the 2020 Marathon weekend race expo.

SAFD: I don't remember what goals I would have set. Training is fine although I took last week off on account of early mornings and late nights in Disney World don't leave much time for training. Park time has never tripped me up in training before. So hopefully this will be similar to prior years. As usual, I only set a goal of finish the race. I figure that I have enough areas in my life that are always full of stress so I should not introduce more stress into something that's supposed to help me manage stress. I also tend to perform better in races and enjoy them so much more when I take them as they unfold on race day. In a sense I let the race come to me and then go with what feels right on that day.

I find motivation in reminding myself that when I encounter a day where training feels hard or difficult, then it's an invaluable preparation day because when I face obstacles during the races, I can look back and remind myself that I've pushed through this before. I usually run after work. On those days when I do not want to run because of laziness, I tell myself that the 4 mile run for that day is really mile 22 of the marathon and I'm practicing running when I just don't want to. When the real mile 22 hits during the marathon, I then tell myself that I can do this because I've already done it many times before.

Do you think there will be a magic band for marathon weekend? I really like the magic band I have (it was the Tiana one from last flower and Garden), but it's just a regular one and won't work at Disneyland once they get the program there. I'm trying to decide if I should preorder one since they seem to be cheaper, but I would love a Marathon one if they will have it. I don't think I'm a person who will want to collect magic bands, so I just need one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter