Marathon Weekend 2024

Agree. Love it also. Someone asked me this past weekend that question that I am sure many of you get "how do you get through four runs four days in a row". I always said just get to Sunday and then becomes a matter of survival. You have to get from point A to B. Not everyone does it the same. You have to do what is required to survive that last run.
Exactly. Pace yourself for the 5, 10, and half, and then grind out the marathon.

SAFD:

Good Morning runDIsney All-Stars!
It is time for Sunday’s are for Disney. It is crazy to say, but we are starting to run out of Sundays before Marathon Weekend! So it is time… Weather. Running in Florida in January leaves a big question mark…. So depending on what the weather provides and where you call home it could feel like a steaming hot mess, an arctic tundra or maybe (hopefully, imo) somewhere in the middle. How do you prepare for this unknown weather/what are you hoping for?

My answer: As you can guess in my screen name, I am from Michigan and I spend most of November and all of December running in very cold weather, and I love it! I am a big guy so the cooler weather is so much more kind to me than hot and/or humid weather. I just enjoy the crisp cold air. So I am hopping for colder weather in January. I am very happy to trade off a cold struggle in the corrals for a cooler run in the parks. My nightmare are the humid and hot runs out on the roads (or worse blazing hot, unrelenting sun in the middle of a water park parking lot… So for me, fingers crossed for low humidity and a temp around 50 degrees fahrenheit. Only 37 days!!! Have a good week all!

SAFD: Since I’m not running the marathon this year I can handle pretty much any weather except rain.

i learned my lesson in 2017 to ignore the weather forecast and prepare for anything. So I will have cold weather running clothes plus at least one layer I can toss at the start if it is cold that morning.

ideally it’s cool enough where it’s a little chilly in the morning but doesn’t break 70 until the end of the race.

SAFD: I hope I'll be prepared for any weather this year. I'm currently training in the cold of PA but will be in Florida prior to Dopey from ~Dec. 19. That will hopefully get me prepared for some warmer weather.

Overall, I prefer running in warmer weather. But for performance reasons, I will root for cooler and less humid weather for Dopey. And then a rapid warm-up to summer-like temperatures after each race is over.

SAFD: Being a Minnesotan, I would probably lean closer to wanting it tundra-esque, though I admit that Florida cold hits different than Minnesota cold. As to how I would prepare, I have no idea. I think I’d warm up enough while running that I wouldn‘t have to do much differently, except for some kind of throwaway layer for the corrals.

SAFD: timely post as we are supposed to get 3-8in of snow today.

I haaaate the cold, and even though I have amassed a reasonable collection of cold-weather running gear, I still prefer the treadmill to running outside when its below 40. I'm more concerned about running in the heat than the cold, so I usually attempt some sort of heat-acclimation in the 2 weeks leading up to our trip. That means running indoors in layers, and getting massively sweaty.

I have started ordering "Florida-cold" layers in case we need them (thanks, UA 60-day return window!) and have grabbed another set of throw-away long sleeve undershirts from Costco. I have arm sleeves from last year that can get cycled back in if needed. And once they start to clearance out stuff from the holidays, I'll grab a few more throw-away corral layers. We also have tons of handwarmers that I will pack, again, for the corrals.

I think I had about 1/3 of a suitcase of stuff I didn't even touch last year, but I was prepared.

I'm hoping for mid-50s to mid-60s for race days. I'd be ok with a little warmer for the 5k and 10k.

SAFD: I’m writing this from a room set to 76 degrees, in which I’m wearing fleece pajamas, a fleece bathrobe, and have a sleeping bag over me on the couch… I consider losing layers outside when it goes above 88. But in a bizarre turn of events, my preferred running weather is in the low 40s (or lower), and I wear a tank top and shorts until it goes below 38ish. Rain, sleet, hail- bring it on. I don’t know what’s wrong with me 😂

So my ideal would be 40s for the marathon, and then 80s for the park afterwards. I don’t stress about the running weather unless it looks warm (or stormy and potentially canceled).

ETA: which means I stress a lot, because the race weekends I have done have all be hot 😊

Last edited:
I live here, so the normal temps don’t bother me. (I don’t LIKE running when it’s hot, but I’m used to it!) I’d prefer it to be 50s-60s. I actually haven’t run when it’s colder than that yet! (I didnt start really running until last January and we didn’t have any super cold days leading up to Princess.) This week will be a test for me since it’s supposed to get down to the 40s. I have no idea what will be comfortable for me to run in that weather!

Sometimes marathon weekend is a running trip with some vacation thrown in and sometimes it is a vacation with some running thrown in. This time it is the later so the warmer and sunnier the better. I'm not running for a time and I've done a half when it was in the 90s so bring on the sun and warmth.

I'm a year-round runner living in Virginia, so I'm used to everything from hot and humid running in August to running in the 20's in January. Because Disney races are always fun runs for me and never target races, I'd rather be comfortable waiting forever in the corrals than on the actual racecourse, and like warmer weather for marathon weekends. 60's-70's are ideal for me. I'm never chasing a PR at a Disney race, so a little warm is fine. Of course, hot years like 2013 and 2020 aren't fun, but I'll finish regardless.

SAFD: I treat MW as a hope for the best, prepare for the worst situation. I had a tote filled with running clothes for all weather last year (we drive for MW). As to prepare, beforehand I just never skip a run due to weather (except lightning) because anything can happen on race day….well except the flurries I ran in this morning. THAT would be something at Disney!

My perfect weather would be 50’s for the first 3 races and mid 40’s for the marathon. One of the medications I am on makes temperature regulation difficult for me so the cooler the better!

SAFD:

How do you prepare for this unknown weather? I'll do the same heat acclimation that I've done, i.e. start running indoors on a treadmill with a few layers about a week before I leave for FL. And then I'll bring throwaway layers for the corrals, as all my costumes are tanks with shorts or 3/4 leggings. You can always warm up as you run but you can't cool down.

What are you hoping for? I'm in the Northeast and I love cold weather running. I can't handle running in hot humid weather. Anything below 60 would be ideal for me.

SAFD: Floridian here…

Prep? I live here and run outdoors year-round - unless the temp hits 100, I’m as prepped for heat as is possible. Cold is another story entirely - I’ve had exactly zero cold weather runs since last winter, so I’m still VERY heat-acclimated. Layers is the name of the game, and I’ll be bringing every item I need for temps ranging from 20-90, plus rain gear and throwaway stuff. Too many Jan./Feb. race weekends under my belt with crazy weather changes!

What I hope for? It depends - I haven’t decided on any outfits yet, so I’m not sure if I want it warm enough to be comfortable in bare legs/arms, or if I’d like it cool enough to be happy with them covered. Generally speaking, I’m happiest running with a temp of 65, sun with passing fluffy clouds, a light breeze, and humidity around 75%.

SAFD: I treat MW as a hope for the best, prepare for the worst situation. I had a tote filled with running clothes for all weather last year (we drive for MW). As to prepare, beforehand I just never skip a run due to weather (except lightning) because anything can happen on race day….well except the flurries I ran in this morning. THAT would be something at Disney!
I'm pretty sure there was a flurry or two during the 2010 frozen tundra weekend. I think it was the morning of the half.

… except the flurries I ran in this morning. THAT would be something at Disney!
That’s happened, too! 2010 - flurries for the half. Marathon day saw temps in the 20s with wind chills in the teens and frozen water stops. It was pretty wild! And COLD. I wasn’t running, just visiting parks early in the day, and I could not stay warm at all. Spent a LOT of time indoors, sipping hot beverages.

SAFD: Being from Houston I'm way more used to the heat/humidity. It's actually a little harder for more in the winter because of my asthma + the cold air. Hoping that it's not **too** cold, and definitely not rainy.

How do y'all usually pack? Am I looking at bringing my entire running wardrobe with me to be ready for any weather?
Another Houston are person here. We get so used to running in the heat and humidity a good majority of the year, that I am usually someone who wants a little warmer temp than most people want. My ideal weather would be 65-70 degrees for the race, but I know that most people like it in that 50-55 degree range. But it has been nice running this past week in the cooler temps. I had two long runs the past four days. The mid 50's temp made it a nice run. I actually went out in a singlet today. I forgot that if you are running in a singlet in cold weather, there are some areas that need to have some vaseline applied, LOL. I was starting to feel like Andy from The Office.

For packing, I try to usually just bring running shorts and singlets. Last year for the half marathon it got way colder than I thought. Went to Disney Springs the night before and grabbed some leggings from Under Armor and ended up running in the half marathon shirt that we get with registration. That has been the one time I had to deter from the planned running attire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter