Masks back at DL starting July 30

Here at Disneyland today and not sure if someone has mentioned it but they got the social distancing lines to Pirates of the Caribbean already setup.

We almost were going to skip it, with the outside line looking so long with a posted time of 40 minutes but only took 15 minutes to board the ride.

Ugh, if they are forcing social distancing in line then we are going to cancel our trip in two weeks. The park will just be to crowded if they force everyone to space out 6 feet now that they increased the capacity.

Here at Disneyland today and not sure if someone has mentioned it but they got the social distancing lines to Pirates of the Caribbean already setup.

We almost were going to skip it, with the outside line looking so long with a posted time of 40 minutes but only took 15 minutes to board the ride.

Oh no. I was hoping they wouldn't go back to that given what it does with the walkways and the much higher crowds now. It would be one thing if they limited capacity to account for it, but without that, it is nothing but theater and the costs of the guest experience. You spend all day in massive crowds, but are "spaced" in line. That also means they would likely move back to not loading rides to capacity. If we can make money off it, we won't take precautions, but if it merely impacts the guest experience, "look how much we care!"

This might be the nail in the coffin for our two scheduled trips. I will wait and see what it looks like over the next week.

IF people will maintain social distance in outdoor queues, then I can see why DL may say no masks required in outdoor queues. Personally I think they should require a mask in ALL queues regardless, simply because close contact/droplet spread is possible. If masking is required when I go later this year I'll certainly be wearing one in all queues and crowded outdoor spaces.

The one issue we had at WDW was 'inch-worming' at times with people creeping up on the party in front of them, mostly unintentionally I'm sure, then falling back when they realized they'd gotten too close. CMs did the best they could, but they could hardly have CMs every 20 feet in every queue to give the 'stink eye' to people.

Oh no. I was hoping they wouldn't go back to that given what it does with the walkways and the much higher crowds now. It would be one thing if they limited capacity to account for it, but without that, it is nothing but theater and the costs of the guest experience. You spend all day in massive crowds, but are "spaced" in line. That also means they would likely move back to not loading rides to capacity. If we can make money off it, we won't take precautions, but if it merely impacts the guest experience, "look how much we care!"

This might be the nail in the coffin for our two scheduled trips. I will wait and see what it looks like over the next week.

Yet another reason to not go, full price for anything but the full experience we enjoy so much.

I believe it now states it's on all the rides indoors or outdoors and in the queues. You can basically wander Main St and other common areas maskless and that's it.

While I completely understand the decision to require masks ON rides and indoor ride queues (actually indoors, like Star Tours) what worries me about the potential for it including queues is:

Will we go back to no eating allowed in line? If this is the case, we will have to cancel or else possibly explore the DAS. DH was recently diagnosed with a new medical condition that absolutely requires he have access to food and water immediately and on demand, and its not even as simple as being able to get out of line and walk to the nearest bench. It is IMMEDIATE.
Hoping they will clarify this soon.

We went again in July. Masks outside would have been very difficult to tolerate. It hasn't been a "dry heat" summer like we usually have. Humidity has averaged in the 70% range for the last month. And its been hot. We were all uncomfortable on our July visits WITHOUT masks. Just warning you to be prepared for what it will be like. WDW in April is more comfortable than July at Disneyland. Make sure you have lightweight masks and stop and drink OFTEN. Luckily you can remove them in walkways and such. That's a good thing.

We have a ton of lightweight (but 2 ply as I call them) masks ready to go. Also invited in some of those bladeless neck fans to blow air on us if needed. It was actually quite hot while we were in Florida in April. Drinking water often helped a ton. Hydration...hydration....hydration.

It'll be nice to be able to take them off outdoors which is more than we could do while we were at WDW. Already a win for us there.

We went to Universal Orland back last August and had to wear masks the entire time. Then this past March, we did a two week trip out west that included Vegas and had to wear masks basically everywhere. Was it fun to wear the masks, especially in the August Florida heat? Ohhhhhhh definitely not, but looking back on those trips, are the masks what I remember about them? Absolutely not. Did I still have a blast and remember how much fun I had when I think back on it? Yup, 10000%.

To each their own and everyone should make whatever decision makes them feel the most comfortable, but I encourage those whose instant-reaction is to cancel to think more on it before making any decisions.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Distanced lines again? I had not heard about this at all. 😬

If masks and distancing are back then I would definitely cancel a planned trip. We went two weeks ago and it was SOOOOO nice to have things basically back to normal. I can hardly stand wearing a mask on a plane ride for a few hours, can't imagine doing that for most of the day in the parks too. No thanks, will wait until things are better again.

I think you are reading too much into this. DL doesn't have transportation vehicles at the moment - thus the WDW distinction.

DL has the Toy Story lot bus shuttles. It’s a very unclear announcement, but the quote I posted was a dual announcement for both DL and WDW, and does specify all attractions AND transportation for just WDW.

Last edited:
The two park websites have very distinct language differences about the attractions and mask requirements to be sure. Just a lot of confusion as people have sought to clarify directly with Cast about whether they mean indoors only for rides at DL and being told that no its all rides and queues in those conversations. That could just be an internal communication issue with Cast. It would be odd for them to provide such distinct language online but implement without that distinction.

Social distancing AND masks in the lines? If that's true, I'm really looking forward to our trips over the next several months. We're totally vaccinated and feel secure in that, but I just appreciate not having to be jam packed in with people in line. Probably helps that everyone in our party has go-with-the-flow personalities.

Though, I'm guessing Fantasmic won't be back for a while which is kind of a bummer.

We are going next week. It's a rescheduled trip after our Disneyland trip got canceled last summer. We were going to wear masks indoors and crowded spaces with our kiddo who's too young to get vaccinated anyway. Given how crowded recent photos and videos show it to be, I'm glad that nearly everyone will be wearing them too.

Hubby and I went to WDW last October with masks and social distancing and still had a wonderful time. We will make the best of masks and whatever else the safety protocols are next week and enjoy finally being back at Disneyland!

Social distancing AND masks in the lines? If that's true, I'm really looking forward to our trips over the next several months. We're totally vaccinated and feel secure in that, but I just appreciate not having to be jam packed in with people in line. Probably helps that everyone in our party has go-with-the-flow personalities.

Though, I'm guessing Fantasmic won't be back for a while which is kind of a bummer.

However, the wait times will probably be much longer due to riders most likely being spaced out and much higher capacity in the park.

Not for us, but I’m glad for those that it doesn’t bother.

We are going next week. It's a rescheduled trip after our Disneyland trip got canceled last summer. We were going to wear masks indoors and crowded spaces with our kiddo who's too young to get vaccinated anyway. Given how crowded recent photos and videos show it to be, I'm glad that nearly everyone will be wearing them too.

Hubby and I went to WDW last October with masks and social distancing and still had a wonderful time. We will make the best of masks and whatever else the safety protocols are next week and enjoy finally being back at Disneyland!

We did WDW last December and still had a good trip. My biggest concern is the crowds are significantly higher now and if the rumors of line spacing are true, I don't think the parks will be very enjoyable with massive lines spilling into the walkways at lengths we wouldn't have seen at WDW. More concerning is the possibility that ride capacity will be reduced again. At these crowd levels, that will cause multi-hour long waits for some rides. If Disney really cared and wasn't doing this for image, it will significantly reduce park capacity to match.

But as I said above, I am in wait and see mode before I make any decisions about future trips.

If Disney really cared and wasn't doing this for image, it will significantly reduce park capacity to match.
I don’t know how they could reduce capacity when they’ve already sold the tickets/reservations…

Our next reservation is August 22. I’m withholding further judgement until we actually see what changes are actually implemented. We wore masks indoors when we were there earlier this month, so that change doesn’t matter to us at all. We’ll see.

I don’t know how they could reduce capacity when they’ve already sold the tickets/reservations…

Our next reservation is August 22. I’m withholding further judgement until we actually see what changes are actually implemented. We wore masks indoors when we were there earlier this month, so that change doesn’t matter to us at all. We’ll see.
Every day but one is still available in August:

All they need to do is reduce availability of future reservations. That would at least keep new people from booking.

I updated my above post at the same time you posted - I too will withhold judgment until we see actual conditions in the next couple of weeks. I am just concerned given what I saw prior to restrictions changing. I literally bought tickets for a group of 12 yesterday morning. I wish I had waited now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter