May 10, 2008 Ship of Thieves! Stealing the Magic..AGAIN!!! Panama Canal FL to CA!!! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had something similar. Jenna has been a little down of late with her interactions with her classmates. Actually has been rather blue. We called her teacher and asked if she had noticed anything. We had been concerned last year when she was in Kindergarten that she didn't seem to interact with her classmates as she does outside of school. So when the school approached us about placing her in a mulitage class this year (1st and 2nd grade) we thought it would be perfect for her in social skills. Multi-age in Arizona is geared to social interactions. Anyway, her teacher said she did have some thoughts and would we like to meet at young authors night (Jenna had written a book on tall tales) Thursday night. So we meet with her last night and the teacher says that Jenna is just much more mature and passing the 2nd grade students in her studies. Her suggestion was for Jenna to possibly skipped 2nd grade next year and enroll in 3rd grade! Total shock to us. We don't think we want to do this, because at some point all things are going to level out. We don't want her to be the 16 year old Senior and not be at the maturity level she needs to be at then. In a nutshell, it was nice to hear that our daughter is doing just fine.

Those are great options to have, and I too agree with your decision, although it is always a personal one. Our son could have done the same thing, and we decided the gifted program here was a better route. He was younger than his classmates to begin with.

That being said, he is graduating from college now at 19 (20 a month later). The difference is HE wanted the program he is in, and, he has a support group of about 75 kids just like him who are going to be moving on to medical school in the same program just like him.

These are good problems to have though.

Thanks for sharing about this young man. It was really uplifting. Lisa

Big game tonight . . . This young man and another one will meet in our District Basketball final and both are 7 foot or taller. Sold out 4,000 seats for a High School Basketball game.

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=341117&Category=17

That's where I'll be tonight - center court, aisle seats - sometimes being a school board member can be OK . . .:rotfl2:

I think some Lancashire folk may say they are 'nattering', meaning fretting, actually.

For me though it is just a good old chat!:chat: :hyper2:

I heard my great aunt Grace tell my cousin to stop nattering which I assumed meant stop fretting, so I guess it does have many meanings does it not? She also told me once she was banting which I understand used to mean dieting.

:surfweb:

Those are great options to have, and I too agree with your decision, although it is always a personal one. Our son could have done the same thing, and we decided the gifted program here was a better route. He was younger than his classmates to begin with.

That being said, he is graduating from college now at 19 (20 a month later). The difference is HE wanted the program he is in, and, he has a support group of about 75 kids just like him who are going to be moving on to medical school in the same program just like him.

These are good problems to have though.

My son also graduated early from hs and college. He was much more mature than our youngest DD. I agree it depends on the level of maturity of the child, not necessarily the academic ability.

Sounds like your son has both the emotional maturity and the academic excellence. I am sure you are very proud of his achievements.

I heard my great aunt Grace tell my cousin to stop nattering which I assumed meant stop fretting, so I guess it does have many meanings does it not? She also told me once she was banting which I understand used to mean dieting.

Now I haven't heard of banting so that must be local to your great aunt.

I used to be told to stop mythering as a child meaning to stop moaning!! I had a Lancashire friend who used it of her daughter and she meant for her to stop fretting or worrying. I don't hear it used nowadays.

Language is so interesting isn't it?

I used to be told to stop mythering as a child meaning to stop moaning!! I had a Lancashire friend who used it of her daughter and she meant for her to stop fretting or worrying. I don't hear it used nowadays.

Language is a fascination of mind and word etomology.

I found an interesting thread about the word mythering from a person who asked the following:

Dear Word Detective: My mother was raised in a bomb shelter in Lancashire, and when I was a tot growing up in California in the early 'sixties she introduced me to a vocabulary not like that of the other moms. In the instance that I was not satisfied by my mother's response to a given complaint, and continued to express resistance while ostensibly setting myself to the task at hand, she would admonish me by saying "Stop your mythering." I recall that usage in relation not to the existence of my complaint, but to its persistence. A consultation with the Oxford English Dictionary brought me to a similar word indicating "forbearance," but it was unlikely to have been pronounced anything like my mother's word. I wonder whether there may have been a Celtic component in the word (maybe it was "moithering"), for although my mother's indoctrination was Anglican, my adult experience of Scottish culture often more closely resembles the world I knew when visiting Uncle Billy and Mrs. Bailey and her budgie, bob-a-jobbing with cousin Philip and taking jam butties up Billinge Lump. I have been unable to find this word in any dictionary or slang glossary. Are you acquainted with the expression "mythering"? -- Steven Strauss, Oakland, CA.

Answer: The word you're looking for is most often spelled "moider, though "moither," "moidur," "mither," "myther," "meyther," and "meither" are common variants. To "moider" is to babble, to speak foolishly, to act in a weak-headed or childish manner. Your mother probably meant it in the sense of "whining or complaining." The origin of "moider" (which first appeared in the 17th century as the transitive verb "moyder," meaning "to confuse or perplex") is obscure, but it is probably related to "muddle."

Language is a fascination of mind and word etomology.

I found an interesting thread about the word mythering from a person who asked the following:

Dear Word Detective: My mother was raised in a bomb shelter in Lancashire, and when I was a tot growing up in California in the early 'sixties she introduced me to a vocabulary not like that of the other moms. In the instance that I was not satisfied by my mother's response to a given complaint, and continued to express resistance while ostensibly setting myself to the task at hand, she would admonish me by saying "Stop your mythering." I recall that usage in relation not to the existence of my complaint, but to its persistence. A consultation with the Oxford English Dictionary brought me to a similar word indicating "forbearance," but it was unlikely to have been pronounced anything like my mother's word. I wonder whether there may have been a Celtic component in the word (maybe it was "moithering"), for although my mother's indoctrination was Anglican, my adult experience of Scottish culture often more closely resembles the world I knew when visiting Uncle Billy and Mrs. Bailey and her budgie, bob-a-jobbing with cousin Philip and taking jam butties up Billinge Lump. I have been unable to find this word in any dictionary or slang glossary. Are you acquainted with the expression "mythering"? -- Steven Strauss, Oakland, CA.

Answer: The word you're looking for is most often spelled "moider, though "moither," "moidur," "mither," "myther," "meyther," and "meither" are common variants. To "moider" is to babble, to speak foolishly, to act in a weak-headed or childish manner. Your mother probably meant it in the sense of "whining or complaining." The origin of "moider" (which first appeared in the 17th century as the transitive verb "moyder," meaning "to confuse or perplex") is obscure, but it is probably related to "muddle."

Thank you!!! I don't think I myther nowadays, but I don't have a mother to tell me off now!!:rotfl:

Aha, I see mention of jam butties!!! I don't suppose you have butties over there? We have chip butties too - fries over there, though I haven't had one in years. Jam is your jelly I believe. So, I suppose they would be jelly sandwiches. Try and put our jelly in a sandwich and it would be fun. That would be jello sandwiches to you!

I don't post much....no time....but I do check in every now and them. Can someone tell me what the 'teams' are??? I already have a fish extender, if that helps....
Called DCL today....still no cabin assignment and no idea when they may give us one. Can't get too excited till I know where we might be!!!

I am not a fan of rules so let's say guidelines - add or take away as you like:
FISH EXTENDER GUIDELINES
*Email Carol "Pahrumpgirl" if you need a fish extender. Cost $30.
*If you don't want to buy or make one, bring a christmas stocking or anything you can hang on the fish that can hold gifts
*You can bring gifts to your fellow DIS mates and not join a team.
*If you like to join a team (to save money or buy bigger gifts), email me Calmom
*Each indiviudal or team will make the decision as to who they will give fish mail to (whether they will chase people around or only deliver to fish extenders)
*If you would like to receive fish mail, you should have something hanging from your fish. Otherwise, you might be left out.
*You don't need to give mail to get mail.
*Oh yes, and this is fun!:goodvibes :scared:

Excellent 'guidelines'! pirate: Pretty much, if we know your cabin number, surprises will appear.

I do have GTY questions, for those of you with experience with it. Because our cruise has SO MANY booked as GTY, do you think they'll keep moving us around up till the last minute? Do you think some might get room assignments as early as next Feb (after final payment droupouts)? And if we do, will they 'stick'? If you have a cat 11 GTY and you DON"T WANT an upgrade (!) can you have that noted on your reservation? I really would prefer to not have a 10 or 9...I like the cat 11 locations and also feel the upgrades available should go to folks with more than one person in the stateroom (which DCL would probably do anyway).

. At least he's not a Lancastrian! :rotfl: (Family secret - DF was born in Littleborough :eek: but pretends he's a Yorkshireman!)

. Always loads of banter about the great Yorks/Lancs divide too.

Goodness, is that STILL going on? :rotfl: Do we yanks still have hundreds of years worth of "North/South, the war isn't really over" to look forward to?

Thank you!!! I don't think I myther nowadays, but I don't have a mother to tell me off now!!:rotfl:

Aha, I see mention of jam butties!!! I don't suppose you have butties over there? We have chip butties too - fries over there, though I haven't had one in years. Jam is your jelly I believe. So, I suppose they would be jelly sandwiches. Try and put our jelly in a sandwich and it would be fun. That would be jello sandwiches to you!

To confuse things further, we have jam, jelly and preserves. Jam and jelly are essentially the same. Preserves can be either fruit or vegetables.

Hello all:)
Lovely sunny day here and I've just been shopping and bought yet more shoes....yay!:cool1:

Not snope but here you go:

The next time you are tramping about in the forest (which we hope is at least once a day, if not more) and come across a banana slug, sneak up on it and give it a lick. Not just a touch with the tip of the tongue, but a full-on 'puppy dog happy to see ya' kind of lick.

As you watch the slug shrink away from the sudden stimuli, you will notice a most remarkable chemical reaction: your tongue goes numb. The slimy trail of slug ooze is really the only adaptation for slugs to have a chance of survival when lapped up by some human-looking puppy dog. Truly biochemistry at its finest.

Note - this does not hurt the slug. It only spooks it a little. In no way does this entry condone slug abuse. Of course, how would you feel if you were just scooting along the forest floor, minding your own little slug business, when... slurp!!!... you got licked? So don't do this too many times to one slug. Just use some common sense.

And there you have it. So, the next time you are in the wet 'n' wild forests of the Pacific Northwest, bring a friend. Tell them you want to conduct a 'serious biochemistry experiment', in which you need their full co-operation. The rest is up to you.

Can't imagine taht anyone actually does this!!!!

NO WAY! Now I probably won't eat tomorrow either! :rotfl2: Wow...didn't she get sick from eating those? How old was she? Does she remember doing that? :rotfl:

Maybe Sophie, the little girl in question would have liked licking the banana slug! She's actually 14 now and doesn't remember ever doing any of this. (maybe she's blotted it our of her mind!) It never seemed to make her ill btw!:confused3

"Yes, room service. This is Noel and my big huge suite. Please bring me some croissants...but leave at the door" CAL MOM :tiptoe: once again

......I can imagine a long line of 'thieves' tip toeing up the corridor to try and beat Calmom!;)

FISH EXTENDER GUIDELINES
*If you don't want to buy or make one, bring a christmas stocking or anything you can hang on the fish that can hold gifts
*If you like to join a team (to save money or buy bigger gifts), email me Calmom
*Each indiviudal or team will make the decision as to who they will give fish mail to (whether they will chase people around or only deliver to fish extenders)
*If you would like to receive fish mail, you should have something hanging from your fish. Otherwise, you might be left out.

Great guidelines and explanation thank you!

Oh my, I'm just 4 more posts away from 500. I need to think of something really clever to say...but what, but what??? Should I post my 500 over on the EB thread as a sign of peace and friendship??? Oh should I save it and not post again...I hear my husband yelling "YES!" as he takes care of all 4 boys so I can catch up on the DIS boards. :lmao: Now he is changing the youngest's diaper....oh boy, glad that wasn't my 500 post. Don't want THAT to go down in history. The pressure, the pressure...:eek:

:rotfl: :rotfl2:

" No" she said "If I move Gretchen by the wall, soon the wall will be Gretchen's best friend!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:rotfl: What a fantastic image!!!:rotfl:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but "natter" is pronounced like hatter. Don't know the origins of the word or whether it's used all across England - I use it, but I'm from the north, where Marilyn (Granmaz) lives.

we use it all the time down south too:)

'mythering' is one of my favourite words! the kids at school used to look very confused when I used to use it though so I guess they haven't come across it much!:rolleyes1

:offtopic: :offtopic: Another wild and crazy Friday night out! :goodvibes Thursday after work I tried a new Mexican restaurant in town with a co-worker. It's called Mango's Mexican Grill. We sat at the bar and I loved how authentic it is (including the guys who work there). So I asked my fellow cruiser Cindy to join me there again last night because I was sure she'd love the "scenery" too! :rolleyes1 I got along really well with one waiter (Alejandro) and after Cindy left, he and I went out for a fun evening of playing pool. :thumbsup2 Major language barrier (because he moved here from Mexico a few months ago to work in his cousin's restaurant), but it was fun trying to remember all the years of Spanish I took in school. Alejandro and I are going out next weekend and he says if I teach him more English, he'll help me re-learn Spanish.

I just love meeting new people from all over! :)

Late morning hello. Just a few pages to catch up on. I see we are getting close to another pirate:

FISH EXTENDER GUIDELINES

Love the guidlines:love:

FISH EXTENDER GUIDELINES

Great Guidelines! Should we post these on the page 1 here or PJ's site so they don't get "lost" in the sea of posts?
When our team was talking, we were figuring about 100 gifts, does that sound like a reasonable amount to people, too high/too low? I know it is hard to guess now because some people actually haven't gotten started Dis'ing for this cruise yet. They might think it is so far away:scared: What a silly thought, never too early, right:lmao:

I would think that it should be a list of people that have registered or who we know are going but this list would have to be confirmed at some point prior to sailing. I know of one family on the list who is not sailing. Cabin numbers have to be confirmed as well (although I know these can change at the last minute).

Quick post and haven't read everything - dental surgery yesterday and still not feeling that great.

Fiona

Good point.. About updating the list.

I had a dental work done on Monday and now I think I may have to have a root canal. Thank goodness our dentist does sedation dentistry. :banana: :banana:

Great Guidelines! Should we post these on the page 1 here or PJ's site so they don't get "lost" in the sea of posts?
When our team was talking, we were figuring about 100 gifts, does that sound like a reasonable amount to people, too high/too low? I know it is hard to guess now because some people actually haven't gotten started Dis'ing for this cruise yet. They might think it is so far away:scared: What a silly thought, never too early, right:lmao:

I think that posts in both places would be great!

As for 100, I think that is a reasonable number for the time being. As we get closer to the sail date, we can take another count.

Noel

Good point.. About updating the list.

I had a dental work done on Monday and now I think I may have to have a root canal. Thank goodness our dentist does sedation dentistry. :banana: :banana:

Nothing worse than a root canal!! I hope you are feeling better!!

We had something similar. Jenna has been a little down of late with her interactions with her classmates. Actually has been rather blue. We called her teacher and asked if she had noticed anything. We had been concerned last year when she was in Kindergarten that she didn't seem to interact with her classmates as she does outside of school. So when the school approached us about placing her in a mulitage class this year (1st and 2nd grade) we thought it would be perfect for her in social skills. Multi-age in Arizona is geared to social interactions. Anyway, her teacher said she did have some thoughts and would we like to meet at young authors night (Jenna had written a book on tall tales) Thursday night. So we meet with her last night and the teacher says that Jenna is just much more mature and passing the 2nd grade students in her studies. Her suggestion was for Jenna to possibly skipped 2nd grade next year and enroll in 3rd grade! Total shock to us. We don't think we want to do this, because at some point all things are going to level out. We don't want her to be the 16 year old Senior and not be at the maturity level she needs to be at then. In a nutshell, it was nice to hear that our daughter is doing just fine.

Good for her.:thumbsup2

You know your daughter best, and I'm sure will make the right decision for her.

Good morning! My 1 year old was playing with the phone and called someone. I quickly hung up - but darn caller ID! Person called me back! Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter