Member Services Breaking 11 Month Rule!

The 27th-28th seem to be where a lot of the reservations got blocked and showed holes. Once we hit those dates we can't see holes because it can appear to be legitimate bookings. Reports and screenshots I've seen include AKV Club, VGF Lakeview, BLT standard 1BR, BLT Lakeview Studio, BLT 2 BR (not sure category), CCV studio and Cabin, and others (I'd have to go back through a bunch of FB posts to find all of them).

The points traded out I've assumed would be treated like any other points because they're essentially using that person's points in exchange for the cruise or whatever other trade it is. I haven't found anything in what I've read that outlines how they're handled though.
I got blocked twice with two AKV value studios, but not around the 50th anniversary. One time happened for a late July booking, and the other was for an early September booking. Both times several days after the 11-month booking window were unavailable, but after the days passed, they all became available.

I dont think they are pulling them to keep them out of booking and moving for cash. But. I think something in the system has been set up to block walking.

I don't think this was done to block walking. One day would block walking, but we had Sept 30 and Oct 01 blocked. This wasn't happening at all the resorts, BWV had everything available, yet BLT had it happening in just about all the room categories. Plus why block 1 bedrooms. If you want to block, you would block everyone, yet member services said those nights were booked by other members.

The simpler explanation based on the resorts, dates and room categories effected is that they were taken out for cash bookings for the 50th.

Personally I don't think we will see any explanation on what happened and things will continue as if this never happened. And for most members it never did.

I don't think this was done to block walking. One day would block walking, but we had Sept 30 and Oct 01 blocked. This wasn't happening at all the resorts, BWV had everything available, yet BLT had it happening in just about all the room categories. Plus why block 1 bedrooms. If you want to block, you would block everyone, yet member services said those nights were booked by other members.

The simpler explanation based on the resorts, dates and room categories effected is that they were taken out for cash bookings for the 50th.

Personally I don't think we will see any explanation on what happened and things will continue as if this never happened. And for most members it never did.

It wasn’t all at BLT because I was able to book a SV studio right at 8 am for Sept 26th to Oct 2nd.

My theory is they choose to block a few rooms that wouldn’t make it evident because they are not typical.

And, it did happen with BWV as well as I have been monitoring. The bulk of the time it was what we would expect, but other rooms we would not.

I do agree we will never know exactly what is going on but my bet is more to prevent the walking than anything else.

This happened last year (like I've posted), and after multiple phone calls and mutiple emails - no real answer, just a song and dance about someone booking it ahead of me.

so, yes- it will happen again (and again, and again...)

what we need is an attorney or auditor who could ask to see the booking records....Then something might happen...

I will say that in reading over the POS of being able to pull for breakage by anticipating, it is possible why something like a cabin or GV could get pulled as those are almost always available.

September isn’t usually a busy time...it starts October..so that could be why we see rooms other than normal,

But, I have been monitoring daily, and honestly, it isn’t very many rooms this is happening to. I just checked now, and nothing has holes.

Here is another thought. People can trade out for cruises and things more than 11 months out...would that allow DVCM to pull things for that too? Those would not be DVD owned points so it wouldn’t be violating the rule.

I mentioned this on the thread in the facebook group. Basically I would assume at this point, between people putting points into RCI this year, trading out for cruises, and using excess points due to covid for other collections type bookings, and all of their recent buy backs in ROFR that they probably hold at least 10% of inventory at this time, giving them a lot more flexibility to do what they please heading into the 50th.

It wasn’t all at BLT because I was able to book a SV studio right at 8 am for Sept 26th to Oct 2nd.

My theory is they choose to block a few rooms that wouldn’t make it evident because they are not typical.

And, it did happen with BWV as well as I have been monitoring. The bulk of the time it was what we would expect, but other rooms we would not.

I do agree we will never know exactly what is going on but my bet is more to prevent the walking than anything else.

Thats my belief as well with the Grand Villas and Cabins that were essentially pulled from inventory before their 11 month booking windows opened, yet their exact 11-month booking date was still available. I don't mind too much them dipping into those room categories, as they are typically available, but to dip into the Club Level rooms (which it appears they clearly did, as these had similar holes over the last few days) does bother me though. Members shouldn't be blocked out from that room category considering there are 5 of them and how highly sought after they are.

I mentioned this on the thread in the facebook group. Basically I would assume at this point, between people putting points into RCI this year, trading out for cruises, and using excess points due to covid for other collections type bookings, and all of their recent buy backs in ROFR that they probably hold at least 10% of inventory at this time, giving them a lot more flexibility to do what they please heading into the 50th.
As far as RCI goes, I believe those get pulled later and don't include the rooms we're seeing pulled. Most reports are SSR 1BR's being deposited to RCI. I don't really know how that portion works though so would love to know more about it if someone does happen to know.

I was forgetting about RCI. So, it does really bring up the question of when they are allowed to pull rooms from DVC booking for owners who traded out,

If that doesn’t follow the 11 month window, then it does give them the ability to do it, Now, it may not be common practice, but legally, once those points are traded, can they pull whatever they want?

As far as RCI goes, I believe those get pulled later and don't include the rooms we're seeing pulled. Most reports are SSR 1BR's being deposited to RCI. I don't really know how that portion works though so would love to know more about it if someone does happen to know.

I know what is missing is not what is normal, but this isn’t normal times. So, they pull something else, and than later put it back and take something else,

Again, based on what I have watched...being in quarantine I check the site Avery few hours...other than CL, most rooms are showing back up which means whatever was taken ahead of time, at least some went back.

It just does not make sense for them to pull for use for a few of the rooms that they did. There are also no DVC villas for cash around the times went missing.

This does happen every year.l..but I think more are paying attention and so DVC is going to have to explain why to those who ask. if they have a legal way to do it, it won’t be hard to explain.

If they don’t, well then, it should stop now that they are caught.

ETA: I got blocked in a RIV SV studio last year but by mid afternoon it was back and I got it.

Over on the Facebook page, people were posting pictures of DVC rooms available for cash bookings on dates before the 11 month window.

The thing about RCI trades is, those rooms would have to be given to RCI members, not to cash bookings. And I doubt they were pulling GV for RCI members.

Now cruises and any other trades for points, who knows. But at the very least, there should be complete transparency on DVC’s part. If what they are doing is legit, it should be easy to explain how and why it is legit. Sunshine is good for all organizations.

With the excess points crunch coming up over the next two years, the last thing the membership needs is more inventory taken out of play.

Over on the Facebook page, people were posting pictures of DVC rooms available for cash bookings on dates before the 11 month window.

The thing about RCI trades is, those rooms would have to be given to RCI members, not to cash bookings. And I doubt they were pulling GV for RCI members.

Now cruises and any other trades for points, who knows. But at the very least, there should be complete transparency on DVC’s part. If what they are doing is legit, it should be easy to explain how and why it is legit. Sunshine is good for all organizations.

With the excess points crunch coming up over the next two years, the last thing the membership needs is more inventory taken out of play.

Interesting, I wonder if that could mean they do get to take ahead of time for trades?

But, if a lot more points went into RCI than normal, we will see more rooms going and again, it’s always going to be future availability that is taken out to send.

I can’t seem to locate the specifics of how it works but i do not believe they have to send rooms to match the points deposited.

I got stuck in this problem with a BLT 1BR theme park view. I had been walking a reservation (of seven nights) but didn’t pay attention (because I didn’t think I had to walk every single day) and didn’t check in on it until September 28. At that point, October 1, 2021 was blocked—so, yes, I had a reservation where I would have to CHECK OUT on October 1. Grr. Knowing this would not be easy to fix, I quickly made a booking at VGF as a backup.

After reading this thread, I finally had the energy yesterday to call MS to try to get my BLT reservation fixed. I spent a half hour, mostly on hold, with a representative who was very pleasant but did not seem to understand why this was anamolous. I was politely persistent in saying I realized she could not see the problem on her end but something seemed to be wrong “behind the scenes,” etc. Eventually she very apologetically came back on, said no manager was available and she would fill out a form to have one of them call me.

No call yet, BUT I checked online this morning and miraculously Oct. 1 was available and I booked it. I tried to make another booking just to check inventory and Oct. 1 was unavailable. Not sure if I was lucky or the various contacts have resulted in inventory being freed up. Inventory on Oct. 1 at the MK resorts seems more open than it looked yesterday.

I got stuck in this problem with a BLT 1BR theme park view. I had been walking a reservation (of seven nights) but didn’t pay attention (because I didn’t think I had to walk every single day) and didn’t check in on it until September 28. At that point, October 1, 2021 was blocked—so, yes, I had a reservation where I would have to CHECK OUT on October 1. Grr. Knowing this would not be easy to fix, I quickly made a booking at VGF as a backup.

After reading this thread, I finally had the energy yesterday to call MS to try to get my BLT reservation fixed. I spent a half hour, mostly on hold, with a representative who was very pleasant but did not seem to understand why this was anamolous. I was politely persistent in saying I realized she could not see the problem on her end but something seemed to be wrong “behind the scenes,” etc. Eventually she very apologetically came back on, said no manager was available and she would fill out a form to have one of them call me.

No call yet, BUT I checked online this morning and miraculously Oct. 1 was available and I booked it. I tried to make another booking just to check inventory and Oct. 1 was unavailable. Not sure if I was lucky or the various contacts have resulted in inventory being freed up. Inventory on Oct. 1 at the MK resorts seems more open than it looked yesterday.

I've also been looking at the inventory over the past week and feel that as of yesterday a lot of the missing was restored.

this will be that time where you need to own where you want to stay. The 7 month window will be Impossible to change resorts.

I just had another call from another supervisor (I’m not sure why I received two!) and she echoed what the first said and what PP suggested above. Her statement was that DVC can hold back rooms for cash bookings outside of the eleven-month window if they have been able to procure those rooms via members using their points for cruises and ABD.

I just had another call from another supervisor (I’m not sure why I received two!) and she echoed what the first said and what PP suggested above. Her statement was that DVC can hold back rooms for cash bookings outside of the eleven-month window if they have been able to procure those rooms via members using their points for cruises and ABD.

Until I see it in hard writing someplace this sounds like nothing more than a line they've been fed to repeat to make peace.
I'm sure those points are not popped immediately into any one room, but rather into a holding cell of sorts where they're pulled from for cash rentals when the 11 month window opens.

Not to mention, it makes no sense for DVC to be holding back the rooms that are more sought and harder to come by when there are plenty of other rooms available.

Until I see it in hard writing someplace this sounds like nothing more than a line they've been fed to repeat to make peace.
I'm sure those points are not popped immediately into any one room, but rather into a holding cell of sorts where they're pulled from for cash rentals when the 11 month window opens.

Not to mention, it makes no sense for DVC to be holding back the rooms that are more sought and harder to come by when there are plenty of other rooms available.
Oh, I’m not taking them at their word for this. I’m just passing on what I was told ;)

In the past when they pulled rooms to compensate for cruising, ABD & etc., they stayed away from popular times & less expensive booking categories. Sorry they aren't doing that now. It does explain why/how some have gotten rooms after a call. It probably isn't hard to put a room back into points inventory and choose something else for the "compensation" inventory.

I wonder if the employees pulling inventory are new to the task and don't understand DVC. DVC room popularity doesn't track all that well with theme park and cash resort busy times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter