Menu Planning April 27-May 3- requested recipes within!

The Crockpot layered Cabbage Rolls came about because I'm lazy. I saw a recipe a few years back to make cabbage rolls and cook them in the crockpot. However, still too much work, so I took several recipes and came up with this recipe. Instead of rolling it, I just layer it in the crockpot. We love it. Fast, easy and delicious.

Nothing needs to be measured.

Mix about 1 cup of uncooked minute rice (do to your preference) with 1 to 1.5 lbs of leaner hamburger (raw), salt and pepper to your liking (or I prefer Cavander's Greek Seasoning) and a small to med onion finely chopped. In separate bowl, mix 2 cans of tomato sauce with about a tablespoon or two Worchestershire. In crockpot, layer a third of a small cabbage (I just slice it up). Then a layer of meat mixture. I pour tomato mixture and Greek Seasoning (or Salt and Pepper) over every layer. I usually get 3 layers of cabbage and two of meat. Prefer to cook high for an hour or two and low the rest of day, but if I start early in day, can cook low all day.

I originally cooked rice to add to the meat, but tried it with minute rice and think it is fine. Now it is even easier.

The Kielbasa Stew is something that was emailed to me from some newsletter. Reviews on it were 4 out of 5 star. I thought it was good (not great), but I might make it again. It was a good, fall meal on a cold night. Everyone did eat it so that's a plus.

I would leave off the cheddar cheese, it added nothing to the meal except fat.

Vickie's Kielbasa Stew Recipe
From Diana Rattray,
INGREDIENTS:
• 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 lb kielbasa, sliced
• 2 cans green beans, (15oz each) drained
• 1 medium onion, quartered( I use dried minced onion flakes)
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
PREPARATION:
Layer potatoes, kielbasa, green beans, onion, garlic, cream of mushroom soup, and shredded cheddar cheese in the crockpot in the order listed above. Cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
Vickie's Note: I have cooked this as long as 11 hours, it only gets better.

Menu Planning-Oct 12-18
-chicken and broccoli with garlic sauce
-shepherd's pie
-beef enchiladas
-spaghetti with meat sauce
-baked fish
-grilled burgers

Also- just made a big pot of chicken noodle soup for lunches
-will make a big pot of minestrone or taco soup for lunches as well

-going to try to bake a Weight Watchers treat near the end of the week.

I'm glad you posted Katy Belle - I almost forgot! LOL If I didn't post here I wouldn't bother to come up with a meal plan. :guilty:

Sat - bake fish, potato salad, garden salads
Sun - grilled steak, potato packets (store changed its recipe for potato salad...yuck), garden salads, roasted red peppers
Mon - pork chops, rice, ??
Tues - almond chicken with lemon sauce, broccoli, rice
Wed - leftovers or breakfast
Thurs - baked ham, baked sweet potatoes, maybe corn pudding??
Fri - baked ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole

Just printed out several of the recipes...always looking for something different. This is a great idea to share menus, I'll post mine for next week once I get it worked up. It really does help me to have a basic plan and then make one trip to the store and have everything on hand for the week. It helps to beat the temptation to just run out and grab a bite.

A new week a new plan!

Sesame beef and veg fried noodles
grilled burgers and baked fries (never did this last week!), corn on cob
Garlic Lime Chicken, rice, broccoli
Shepherd's pie (never did this last week either)
Roast Beef, potatoes, carrots

Never made the minestrone last week either...will try to do that today!

Katy

Sat - nut-crusted Mahi Mahi (from Boma)
Sun - stir fry
Mon - lasagna
Tues - baked ham (never got to it last week)
Weds - leftover ham
Thurs - tortilla soup
Fri - assorted leftovers

I've got a cold that won't let me go, so I am going for easy this week.:goodvibes

Mon - Rotisserie Chicken from Sam's Club with veggies
Tues - Crockpot pulled pork and baked beans
Wed - Chicken Casserole
Thurs- Pizza
Fri - Red Beans and Rice
Sat - Spinach Ravioli

We just got back from a few days at WDW (not long enough!) and I'm just getting around to this weeks plan. I only need Tues-Friday since I'll be out of town on Sat.

Tonight was Chili. I'll have leftovers for lunch.

The rest of the week in some order.

spaghetti and meat sauce

Italian sausage either on buns or with rigatoni

need one more, be back later when I decide...Merekc, what's your chicken casserole recipe???
(ended up with canadian bacon stuffed french bread)

hmmmm, lots of red sauce this week! :goodvibes

I found an interesting crock pot recipe for BBQ brisket and beans I want to try next week

New week, new menu.

I'm having knee surgery tomorrow so I have had to make stuff ahead that will be easy to do while I am on crutches.

So far in some order:

pork chops and apples

penne and meatballs

beef tips over noodles

Kung pao chicken

probably pizza on Halloween

I still have to go to the store so I'll see what else they have on special this week. They are supposed to have eye of the round roast on sale so that will be tonight if I can find one.

Swimnoid- I have to give the warning with my chicken casserole. I love it. My DH not so much. It is a recipe out of our church cookbook, it is pretty much chicken in goo.:lmao:

...but I love it. It is such a comfort food. :thumbsup2

And the other plus is I always have ingredients on hand for a fast meal.

Chicken Casserole

Chicken - canned and drained (1 or 2 large cans) or cooked and cubed - 3 to 4 cups
1.5 stacks saltine crackers
1 stick margarine (you can get away with about a half, enough to moisten cracker crumbs)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small container sour cream
2 c. chicken broth
garlic pepper

Crush crackers very small and mix with melted margarine. Take out 1/2 cup and put rest in bottom of medium to large casserole dish. Put chicken over crust and sprinkle with garlic pepper. Mix cream of chicken soup in hot broth; let cool. Add sour cream and pour over chicken. Sprinkle remaining cracker crumbs on top. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

- Not the best recipe if you are watching your salt.:rolleyes1

So far, I haven't been good about sticking to my menus, but I have been cooking more, so I guess menu making is still a good idea.:thumbsup2

Tonight: Chicken Noodle Soup
Monday: Southwest Crockpot Chili - It is a packet but very, very good.
Tuesday: Crockpot Chili Verde
Wednesday: Spinach Ravioli
Thursday: Eat Out
Friday: Probably fast food or PB&J
Saturday: Chicken Quesadillas

I haven't been sticking to my menus that all well either, but if I hit 4 of the meals I'm happy! I seem to be avoiding the chopping of veggies that the shepherds pie requires! I will leave it off the menu this week. I'm sorta burried in sugar cookies and not up to another project.

Last night was grilled hamburgers
Tonight will be grilled chicken sandwhiches, potatoes and green beens
Chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese
Garlic Lime chicken

halloween will be baked eyeball casserole, moldy bread, mummy toes, haunted slaw, puking pumpkin veggie tray, scary cookies... maybe popcorn balls. (we're having a party ;) )

Happy cooking all!
Katy

I just found this post and I am happy to join! I always try to plan my meals so that me and my husband will limit how much we go out. popcorn::

Anyway, this week I am having:
Tonight : sloppy joes
Tomorrow: Chicken Parmesan
Friday : quick sandwiches (we are having a Halloween party so we will be busy!)
Saturday: Go out to dinner
Sunday: Hamburgers

I rarely have good sides to go with my meals though; that is something I need to work on!

welcome Southernbelle. I always get some much needed ideas from reading this thread.

This week's menu.

Tonight: Chili Verde in the Crockpot (finally, it has been on my list for several weeks)
Tomorrow: Cabbage Rolls in Crockpot (never got to these either, but now I have ingredients, so it is definitely a go).
Wednesday: Chicken in crockpot, not sure am looking for a recipe, probably do something of the thread that is floating around. I am baking turkeys all day so it needs to be easy.
Thursday: Our church is having a turkey dinner, so we will eat there.
Friday: Eat Out with my family
Saturday: Spicy Jerk Chicken
Sunday: Eat at IL's.

I bought 40 lbs of chicken this weekend, because my FIL called me with a good deal. So, if anyone has any killer chicken recipes, I'll take them. We may be eating chicken until next Christmas.:rotfl2:

Trying to climb out of my rut here. I'm not terribly motivated to make a meal plan because we never seem to follow it...something always comes up. That, and I'm really tired of making the same things week after week. :rofl:

So far, this is what I've got planned and/or made:

Sat - nut crusted Mahi Mahi since it was such a hit last time
Sun - Sautéed Pork Chops with Balsamic Apples (these were really yummy!
Mon - barrel scrapings ;) This is what we call leftovers when there's only a little of several things - not enough for more than one person...as in scraping the bottom of the barrel
Tues - spaghetti with meatballs
Weds - chicken divan
Thurs - ?? maybe pork & sauerkraut
Fri - chicken chimichangas

I bought 40 lbs of chicken this weekend, because my FIL called me with a good deal. So, if anyone has any killer chicken recipes, I'll take them. We may be eating chicken until next Christmas.:rotfl2:

The Garlic Lime chicken recipe that I posted earlier in this thread is really good. I made it Sunday night and the whole family was begging for more!

-----
My menu for the week...
Sunday did the Garlic Lime Chicken
Monday did grilled burgers

Braised Bar B Que beef sandwhiches
Chicken (roasted?)
chicken enchiladas
spaghetti with meatballs
meatloaf

Thanks Katy Belle - I made the Garlic Lime Chicken a few weeks ago, and I liked it. I will have to keep that in mind.

Piratesmate- what is your recipe for pork chops and balsamic apples? That sounds good.

Mon...
BBQ pork chops with homemade mashed potatoes and salad.

Tues..
Chicken Stirfry with mushrooms, onions, peppers and sliced waterchestnuts..add some brown sugar and lots of fresh ground black pepper and it's yummy with brown rice and a side of broccolli.

Wed...We stop by our favorite chinese buffet and get our favorites then come home and watch all the shows we have tivoed.

Thur...
Revinvention of the chicken stirfry.. stuff it inside a whole wheat pita with homemade hummus and olive oil..slice some cucumber, tomatoes and drizzle with a little green goddess dressing.

Frid..
Sauteed Scallops in butter, wine and fresh garlic ..over brown rice with a salad

Sat..
BBQ hefty burgers and hotdogs, the entire family comes over and spends the day outside while we BBQ with salads and corn.

Sun... Another BBQ but with chicken ..salads and fresh fruit..with homemade baked beans.

I have just been so NOT in the mood to cook! So planning has kind of gone by the wayside this week.

Sun was beef tips over noodles

Last night was cut up veggies, dip, and cereal :lmao:

Tonight--spaghetti. I made some sauce this morning so DH can eat when he gets home. I may or may not be in the mood by the time I get home.

Wed, Thurs, in some order--kungpao chicken I have in the freezer and maybe salmon that I have in the freezer.

Fri--I'll be working out of town until late so probably a pick up burger

I think I want to try the garlic lime chicken next week though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter