modern day garage sale villas

I wonder if there is some reasoning that when staying dvc the rooms look like a modern day garage sale meaning the soft goods in the rooms but the regular cash base customer rooms are all nice and fresh looking? Not to mention the villas are always set to be off to the side of the resort and the big awe of the resorts kind of like step children to the resorts?

I've stayed at AKL for years and loved it. This last July we rented points and stayed in a DVC studio villa in Kidani. My room at Kidani was nicer than the rooms at Jambo that I for years had paid cash for. The day we left we had to fly to the Texas coast for an awards ceremony for one of our kids so we took advantage of the free laundry room. All of Kidani are villas. Kidani has animals just like Jambo. There's a pool, a restaraunt, etc in Kidani.... I'm not understanding the comparison of being a "step-child"?
As far as the daily room service? It's a time share. I understand the value of what it costs to pay for the mousekeeping salaries. If I personally want maid service everyday then I have the option to pay for it. In 47 years if I weighed the cost of my DVC membership AND bought daily maid service I'd still be ahead then if I continued to rent or book rooms directly through Disney inventory. When I go to Disney now I am "renting" a condo (through my DVC points) and calling it "home", ie just like they say everytime I walk through the door or call member services. I really wouldn't want the intrusiveness of a maid coming in every day- not into my "home" anyways. There's a level of difference in the two (DVC/hotel)... I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not the OP but I do want a fair all around refurbs on all the resorts.
SSR has received a refurb and they are a newer resort than WLV.... :sad2:
I wish they would do WLV ...

This is one that I am referring to.. WLV.

I've stayed at AKL for years and loved it. This last July we rented points and stayed in a DVC studio villa in Kidani. My room at Kidani was nicer than the rooms at Jambo that I for years had paid cash for. The day we left we had to fly to the Texas coast for an awards ceremony for one of our kids so we took advantage of the free laundry room. All of Kidani are villas. Kidani has animals just like Jambo. There's a pool, a restaraunt, etc in Kidani.... I'm not understanding the comparison of being a "step-child"?
As far as the daily room service? It's a time share. I understand the value of what it costs to pay for the mousekeeping salaries. If I personally want maid service everyday then I have the option to pay for it. In 47 years if I weighed the cost of my DVC membership AND bought daily maid service I'd still be ahead then if I continued to rent or book rooms directly through Disney inventory. When I go to Disney now I am "renting" a condo (through my DVC points) and calling it "home", ie just like they say everytime I walk through the door or call member services. I really wouldn't want the intrusiveness of a maid coming in every day- not into my "home" anyways. There's a level of difference in the two (DVC/hotel)... I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

AKL is where we bought and I did enjoy Kidani immensley more than I thought I would but at first thought the kids were like we want to be where the action is why did they put us over here and thats from kids. Kids who did not understand that I am the one that reserved Kidani they just loved the AKL Jambo lobby. I just see again a lot of complaints and if they are true why is that happening so much here? WLV may be that surprise to but it looks off to the side and away from the theming and main center hotel.The green color in pics I see is the same style green that was big in the 90's in the rooms Maybe that is how I should have worded it. Some regular hotel rooms at the beach club got flat screens while the DVC sat with box tvs for a while I am not sure if at present they have been replaced or not. The Rooms at the hotels have brighter fresh white linens. There are complaints about BLT and the wear there but there is more money spent on dues there than the other DVC's. Do I like DVC sure or I would not have bought but the perks could be so much of a mover and affect sales even more. I just see rooms for improvement IMO

your expectations need an adjustment - you really don't sound like a good candidate for DVC ownership... it's going to be a long list of disappointments...

(also, if you've been loyal to your local cable company, you may want to call and threaten to leave and see if they offer you a better deal...)

Well I own so its really not up for discussion and people misunderstand here if one or two negetives are stated they think you should throw in the towel rather than ask for small changes to occur. I did change cable companies and am much happier by the way. Thats ironic. But my point is that people arent afraid to change and this should worry any business to the point of providing the best to the loyal ones.

DVC does bring out more perks but it never seems to be enough for some people. The $399 PAP offer was a great deal. It may not work for everyone but it was a good deal on top of the regular AP/PAP discount. There's a free D23 membership coming out next year. TIW card for members at the discounted rate ($100, regular is now $125). I think the perks are way better than when I bought in 1999.

This is the first perk I have seen since joining of course we just joined a couple of years ago I think they are headed in the right direction trying to increase the perks due to a lack of doing so in the past.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow. First and foremost, Disney is a business, they focus on what brings in the money. Put yourself Disney's shoes, they make money by selling new resorts, they fit in a DVC building where they can because selling DVC units will make more money than adding rooms for cash guests.

Over the years they have learned that perks and loyalty hasn't greatly affected sales so why give them away? They tend to offer perks that don't cost them anything while keeping most owners happy.

:earsboy: Bill

This is so true and as you say Disney is a business. I see they are starting to offer more perks I wonder if a birdie has dropped some new information that perks could help drive more sales or that they need to substantiate raising the cost. Business is like you say just business.

...WLV may be that surprise to but it looks off to the side and away from the theming and main center hotel.The green color in pics I see is the same style green that was big in the 90's in the rooms Maybe that is how I should have worded it. Some regular hotel rooms at the beach club got flat screens while the DVC sat with box tvs for a while I am not sure if at present they have been replaced or not. The Rooms at the hotels have brighter fresh white linens. There are complaints about BLT and the wear there but there is more money spent on dues there than the other DVC's. Do I like DVC sure or I would not have bought but the perks could be so much of a mover and affect sales even more. I just see rooms for improvement IMO

First of all, there is no WLV. It is VWL - the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. Where would you have built the villas since they were added way after the resort was built? They were built on the only available land to the resort. I am an owner at VWL and I like the decor. I bought it for the decor. Who do you think pays for the flat screen tv sets? Disney doesn't buys stuff for the villas out of the goodness of their heart. We buy that stuff. It comes out of our dues.
This is so true and as you say Disney is a business. I see they are starting to offer more perks I wonder if a birdie has dropped some new information that perks could help drive more sales or that they need to substantiate raising the cost. Business is like you say just business.

Where do you think perks come from? They are negotiated by the leadership. And there really aren't any more perks than we had in the past. The perk for PAPs is temporary as far as we know. The former leadership was too busy covering his butt after the dues fiasco at Aulani and BLT. The new VP of DVC appears to be eager to negotiate deals for the members. But the deals are not going to cost us money. Perks do not drive sales. The first thing you read here on the DIS when a prospective member talks about the perks is that the perks don't last. I didn't think there were any suckers who would buy DVC at $100 a point. But it seems lots did. And there will be more suckers who will buy direct from Disney for the villas at the GF when they start sales there. Just because they want the "magic" and "pixiedust".

First of all, there is no WLV. It is VWL - the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. Where would you have built the villas since they were added way after the resort was built? They were built on the only available land to the resort. I am an owner at VWL and I like the decor. I bought it for the decor. Who do you think pays for the flat screen tv sets? Disney doesn't buys stuff for the villas out of the goodness of their heart. We buy that stuff. It comes out of our dues.

I agree and sorry about the letter mistake on the villas of wilderness lodge. The flat screen tvs are paid for by us but in the same token Id like them updated as technology improves.Just saying. Again each person has a preference in resort thus why they buy there just not mine now if it was made as part of the other with another pool just as grand as the main one by it Id be more willing to buy more but until they do I keep my contract where I have bought. Planning on purchasing an RV rather than more points at DVC

Where do you think perks come from? They are negotiated by the leadership. And there really aren't any more perks than we had in the past. The perk for PAPs is temporary as far as we know. The former leadership was too busy covering his butt after the dues fiasco at Aulani and BLT. The new VP of DVC appears to be eager to negotiate deals for the members. But the deals are not going to cost us money. Perks do not drive sales. The first thing you read here on the DIS when a prospective member talks about the perks is that the perks don't last. I didn't think there were any suckers who would buy DVC at $100 a point. But it seems lots did. And there will be more suckers who will buy direct from Disney for the villas at the GF when they start sales there. Just because they want the "magic" and "pixiedust".
I see the perks dont last neither do sales or discounts or special offerings to the customers but they keep getting them. People pay 100.00 a point for what they see as security in the company and the fact that anyone can get financed going direct thats plain to see.

I'm not the OP but I do want a fair all around refurbs on all the resorts.
SSR has received a refurb and they are a newer resort than WLV.... :sad2:
I wish they would do WLV ...

The Saratoga Springs refurb is just a "soft goods" refurbishment. Upholstery...wall coverings...linens. No changes to furniture or appliances.

VWL has had at least one soft goods refurb itself since opening.

Its my understanding VWL is getting a refurb this year 2013. Hotel side is now finished.

The DVC villas and the hotel rooms are not on any schedule with each other. Reference the BC and BCV renovations. None at BCV yet and BC has had several.

AKL is where we bought and I did enjoy Kidani immensley more than I thought I would but at first thought the kids were like we want to be where the action is why did they put us over here and thats from kids. Kids who did not understand that I am the one that reserved Kidani they just loved the AKL Jambo lobby.
There are a lot of people here who prefer Jambo House for the same reason your kids do. There are others (myself included) who prefer the peacefulness of Kidani. When we want to eat at Boma or The Mara we walk over to Jambo. It takes about 10 minutes and we enjoy the walk over and back. There is a shuttle bus for those who prefer to ride. After we eat we might hang out in the Jambo House lobby for a bit or walk out to Arusha Rock and look at the animals. Then we head back to the peace and quiet of Kidani. AKV is great in that you get to choose your preferred location.

I just see again a lot of complaints and if they are true why is that happening so much here? WLV may be that surprise to but it looks off to the side and away from the theming and main center hotel.The green color in pics I see is the same style green that was big in the 90's in the rooms Maybe that is how I should have worded it.
I love VWL just the way it is. Again, we love the serenity. The WL lobby is a short walk away but it's nice to come home to the peaceful atmosphere of the villas. My only complaint about VWL is the lack of a view of anything but trees. It would be nice if you could see the lake from more of the rooms. The green color used in VWL seems appropriate for the theme. I love the rustic yet comfortable feel of the place.

Some regular hotel rooms at the beach club got flat screens while the DVC sat with box tvs for a while I am not sure if at present they have been replaced or not.
Would I like for the villas to have the latest and greatest of everything? Maybe, provided I didn't have to pay for it. Unfortunately I do so I'm willing to live with older TVs for a while in exchange for reasonable dues. I don't watch that much TV at WDW anyway. There are things I would like to see in every villa, like magnifying mirrors in the bathrooms!

The Rooms at the hotels have brighter fresh white linens. There are complaints about BLT and the wear there but there is more money spent on dues there than the other DVC's. Do I like DVC sure or I would not have bought but the perks could be so much of a mover and affect sales even more. I just see rooms for improvement IMO
I'm pretty comfortable with the DVC villas as they are, apart from some of the silly decisions they've made like not providing cereal/soup bowls when they changed out the dishes. I think if you want a more plush timeshare, there are other options like HGVC. One of my relatives owns there and based on the photos I've seen, the accommodations look more upscale. DVC isn't plush but it is comfortable and that suits my DH and me but I can see where it wouldn't appeal to everyone.

I see the perks dont last neither do sales or discounts or special offerings to the customers but they keep getting them. People pay 100.00 a point for what they see as security in the company and the fact that anyone can get financed going direct thats plain to see.

Buying into DVC is a quid pro quo: something for something. Yes, buyers pay a large sum of money up front. But in return they get decades of vacations for pennies on the dollar.

The numbers I have run show savings of 65-75% off rack rates for as much as as 50 years. THAT is your "discount" or "special."

There's no sign of loyalty in a DVC purchase. There are cash guests--not DVC owners--who have been making annual trips for years staying anywhere from a Value resort to Deluxe. Some locals visit the parks 2-3 times per week, spending money on their passes, food and more. DVC members are no more "loyal" than others.

When Disney offers "free dining" to cash guests, those people are paying $400+ per night for Deluxe accommodations and free meals. I can guarantee that using DVC points for a stay and buying a dining plan will cost less than any "free dining" offer. And Disney promos of 20-30% off rack pale in comparison to the long-term DVC savings.

Perks and benefits are nice. But they will only be offered when Disney determines it has something to gain--could be more DVC point sales, higher merchandise sales at the parks, etc.

But if your expectation is to be treated like the most valued Disney guest of all, I think you're in for some disappointment.

Its my understanding VWL is getting a refurb this year 2013. Hotel side is now finished.

At the annual meeting, DVC execs stated that it takes 3 years to prepare for a refurb. Kidani, HHI, VWL, BWV, Vero and VGC were all noted as being in year 1 or 2 of that prep cycle. Implication was that the current SSR refurb--which is about half done--is the only one on track for 2013.

Probably looking at 2014 or 2015 for the VWL refurb.

At the annual meeting, DVC execs stated that it takes 3 years to prepare for a refurb. Kidani, HHI, VWL, BWV, Vero and VGC were all noted as being in year 1 or 2 of that prep cycle. Implication was that the current SSR refurb--which is about half done--is the only one on track for 2013.

Probably looking at 2014 or 2015 for the VWL refurb.

Thanks for the info on the refurb.
Do you remember how long ago the VWL soft goods refurb was?
I am trying to remember if our last trip was before or after that.
I just remember thinking that the stuff there (soft goods) were looking rather tired and that they needed to be changed...
It's good to know that a refurb is coming up soon.

People pay 100.00 a point for what they see as security in the company and the fact that anyone can get financed going direct thats plain to see.

No, people pay $100 per point for a real estate interest in a resort. Period. If you went in expecting anything else it is no wonder you are disappointed.

Personally, we have paid no more than $60 per point...both in our original, 1997 DVC purchase, and in our recent resale purchases. We own nearly 700 points and have never regretted our purchase...not once. We accept any perks that come along and see them as just that...perks. They are not a right of ownership. They are extras that come and go. I really think you need to readjust your expectations or you are going to have many years of unhappy DVC ownership.

I was told No, to that question. That the villas would not be getting a refurb even though the hotel side did.:confused3

I know when they did the Yacht and Beach, the villas did not get one. I do not think they are on the same schedule.

And this info came from the GM of the Lodge.

As TJ said I expect it to be much later.

No, people pay $100 per point for a real estate interest in a resort. Period. If you went in expecting anything else it is no wonder you are disappointed.

Personally, we have paid no more than $60 per point...both in our original, 1997 DVC purchase, and in our recent resale purchases. We own nearly 700 points and have never regretted our purchase...not once. We accept any perks that come along and see them as just that...perks. They are not a right of ownership. They are extras that come and go. I really think you need to readjust your expectations or you are going to have many years of unhappy DVC ownership.

first off again you are loosing the conversation I was having with another poster who could not believe people were spending 100.00 a point to buy direct. Second I am not disappointed just looking for a few tweeks. Possibly you do not like modern day garage sales and you took my title as a bad thing in its entirety. A modern day garage sale has many good things if you want to look at it from a more positive perspective. I am not disappointed entirley as you would like to believe. such craziness. I know I am not going to get the expectations I am just saying it would be niiiiicccceeee.... get it.....

..another thing we all need to keep in mind, is these are 'our' properties, and since we have to pay for repairs, cleaning, etc., it would serve us well to treat the rooms and furnishings as well as we do at home. So much damage is caused by carelessness or uncaring actions by the guests. There was no reason for me to see a big gouge in the arm of a chair at VGC only a couple months after opening. People..please be careful and expect your kids to respect the property as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter