modern day garage sale villas

This thread perfectly illustrates the problem.

Some Members would like to see more frequent updates, a higher level of service, etc. and would be more than willing to pay for it. Other Members already think the dues are too high and would be happy stretching out refurbishment periods a little bit more to save money.

But, there is only one schedule that will be followed for an entire resort, and therefore not everyone can be happy with the result. Instead, DVCMC shoots for a schedule and level of service---and level of dues---that meets most Members expectations most of the time.

And its important to understand when you buy what you are getting.

If you believe that you are getting the equivalent in decor, soft goods, and service as staying at a Deluxe resort, you are likely to be diappointed.

If you understand that the DVC resorts have been "downscaled" a little, that housekeeping isn't daily, that refurbs happen about half as often...you are in a much better spot out of the gate to be content with your purchase.

If you believe perks can never go away or rules can't change, you'll be disappointed the first time that happens to your detriment. But sometimes rule changes work out for someone, or new perks are added.

If you believe Disney is a magical place where the voice of the customer is always heard, you'll be disappointed to learn its run as a business, where the demands of the customers are weighed against profitability.

This thread perfectly illustrates the problem.

Some Members would like to see more frequent updates, a higher level of service, etc. and would be more than willing to pay for it. Other Members already think the dues are too high and would be happy stretching out refurbishment periods a little bit more to save money.

But, there is only one schedule that will be followed for an entire resort, and therefore not everyone can be happy with the result. Instead, DVCMC shoots for a schedule and level of service---and level of dues---that meets most Members expectations most of the time.

Yep, and I would pay more for better everything-but then someone will whine cuz they are "paying more" and still not happy with something. Not an easy solution. I guess leave it as is and keep up with feedback.

And its important to understand when you buy what you are getting.

If you believe that you are getting the equivalent in decor, soft goods, and service as staying at a Deluxe resort, you are likely to be diappointed.

If you understand that the DVC resorts have been "downscaled" a little, that housekeeping isn't daily, that refurbs happen about half as often...you are in a much better spot out of the gate to be content with your purchase.

If you believe perks can never go away or rules can't change, you'll be disappointed the first time that happens to your detriment. But sometimes rule changes work out for someone, or new perks are added.

If you believe Disney is a magical place where the voice of the customer is always heard, you'll be disappointed to learn its run as a business, where the demands of the customers are weighed against profitability.

I for one would like to see some accountability to guarantee that the best decisions are being made on out behalf. What is the refurb schedule? How are products selected? Why don't they do a better job inspecting the rooms and what would it cost to make Mousekeeping and Maintenance do a better job?

A couple of years ago at SSR a team of 4 manager types were walking around viewing the pictures on the walls in the Carriage House. I chatted them up and was told that they were selecting which art work to replace. I said that the pictures looked fine to me and their reply was that they like to keep the place looking fresh.:confused3

I told DW that no wonder the dues keep going up.

:earsboy: Bill

I for one would like to see some accountability to guarantee that the best decisions are being made on out behalf. What is the refurb schedule? How are products selected? Why don't they do a better job inspecting the rooms and what would it cost to make Mousekeeping and Maintenance do a better job?

A couple of years ago at SSR a team of 4 manager types were walking around viewing the pictures on the walls in the Carriage House. I chatted them up and was told that they were selecting which art work to replace. I said that the pictures looked fine to me and their reply was that they like to keep the place looking fresh.:confused3

I told DW that no wonder the dues keep going up.

Their accountability to members is in the contract - you can get a majority of members to vote out the management company and they need to provide an annual accounting in our dues statement. That was the power you agreed to when you signed - you are not entitled to anything more.

You may want it all you want, I'd like it to, but it isn't going to happen.

A couple of years ago at SSR a team of 4 manager types.......they like to keep the place looking fresh.:confused3

The "place" maybe, what about the "rooms"?

Remember this?

ssr_zpsed71ae2a.jpg

You bring out the fancy dinnerware when you are having important guests as company (cash paying customers) and use the chipped stuff for family (DVC owners). Welcome Home!

This thread has me confused, probably because I'm not a DVC member. I know that the mere existence of the theme parks, transportation, etc. are not guaranteed in the contract, and that makes sense (i.e. Disney has a right to open new theme parks or even shut old ones down if they felt like it, or change any transportation without having to nullify any DVC contracts).

However, I thought the reservation windows & ability to reserve at other resorts were part of the current contracts. From my understanding, if Disney did revoke the right to use alternate DVC resorts on resale contracts, it would only apply to NEW resale contracts going forward at that time of the change - they can't rewrite the contracts of those who are current resale owners. Is that not true?

AKL is where we bought and I did enjoy Kidani immensley more than I thought I would but at first thought the kids were like we want to be where the action is why did they put us over here and thats from kids. Kids who did not understand that I am the one that reserved Kidani they just loved the AKL Jambo lobby. I just see again a lot of complaints and if they are true why is that happening so much here? WLV may be that surprise to but it looks off to the side and away from the theming and main center hotel.The green color in pics I see is the same style green that was big in the 90's in the rooms Maybe that is how I should have worded it. Some regular hotel rooms at the beach club got flat screens while the DVC sat with box tvs for a while I am not sure if at present they have been replaced or not. The Rooms at the hotels have brighter fresh white linens. There are complaints about BLT and the wear there but there is more money spent on dues there than the other DVC's. Do I like DVC sure or I would not have bought but the perks could be so much of a mover and affect sales even more. I just see rooms for improvement IMO

I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned this but The villas at Wilderness lodge were built after the wilderness lodge so,that's why they are off to,the side....

However, I thought the reservation windows & ability to reserve at other resorts were part of the current contracts. From my understanding, if Disney did revoke the right to use alternate DVC resorts on resale contracts, it would only apply to NEW resale contracts going forward at that time of the change - they can't rewrite the contracts of those who are current resale owners. Is that not true?

Since it hasn't happened, nobody knows. Some people think it is a near certainty that Disney will do this and how it will be done, others are much more skeptical about it. Unless and until it happens, nobody knows what the revision would look like.

Personally, even if it is legally possible (and I don't know if it is), I think worrying that Disney will revoke significant reservation rights from existing contracts is like worrying about the end of the world prophecies. I think the chances are extremely remote, and if you overweight the probability, you risk making bad decisions.

This thread has me confused, probably because I'm not a DVC member. I know that the mere existence of the theme parks, transportation, etc. are not guaranteed in the contract, and that makes sense (i.e. Disney has a right to open new theme parks or even shut old ones down if they felt like it, or change any transportation without having to nullify any DVC contracts).

They can remove a resort from the club. Lets say they decide to sell vero beach. Vero owners would no longer have rights to book within DVC (unless Disney sold it with some rights intact) and non vero owners would not be able to book vero.

I don't think these are likely scenarios, particularly which the on site resorts, but they are possibilities. They could create a club for each resort, and then each club could have its own trading arrangements. Again, not likely, but the sort of corporate shell game that would let them do a lot of unlikely things.

I suspect that Disney could do a lot of things. And their Legal team is one of the best respected Legal teams in corporate America.

They can remove a resort from the club. Lets say they decide to sell vero beach. Vero owners would no longer have rights to book within DVC (unless Disney sold it with some rights intact) and non vero owners would not be able to book vero.

I don't think these are likely scenarios, particularly which the on site resorts, but they are possibilities. They could create a club for each resort, and then each club could have its own trading arrangements. Again, not likely, but the sort of corporate shell game that would let them do a lot of unlikely things.

I suspect that Disney could do a lot of things. And their Legal team is one of the best respected Legal teams in corporate America.

They could remove a resort from the club, but wouldn't that affect both direct and resale buyers?

Yes, simply withdrawing a resort from the Club would affect all owners there, no matter how they purchased.

Yea kinda old thread, but super interested in the pics-when you say "so much better" do you mean the room was so much better? Or that you have pics of a room at BWV that's so much "worse" than these on post 17?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2844938&highlight=ssr+mold&page=2

Initially I thought worse, but then I looked through all of them. Nope, ours aren't worse than that...thank goodness. I didn't think to take pics before I vacuumed up all of the hair. I think I should have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter