Mom Ticketed For Neglect After Calling Police To Help Free Toddler Locked in Car

And therein lies the problem today. Not everyone is a criminal! Common sense and logic has gone out the window in policing.Everyone one they come in contact with is, in the polices eyes, guilty until proven innocent in a court of law, even in ridiculous situations as this one...that isn't how it is in the US.

I don't believe that. it is their job to protect that child, not determine if the parent is guilty. Determining guilt is not their job at all, that is the court system's job.

I don't believe that. it is their job to protect that child, not determine if the parent is guilty. Determining guilt is not their job at all, that is the court system's job.
THE PARENT called them for help! If this child was left in the car for hours, different story. That wasn't the case here and should have been obvious by the minimal increase in temperature in the car vs outside temperature. Using this logic anytime a cop is called they need to issue a ticket, regardless of the situation so the court can figure it out if something if a crime was committed. What has happened to a cop having the ability to make a decision without arresting someone, or issuing a ticket? This need to prosecute/ticket everything is undermining everything that law enforcement is suppose to stand for.

I can tell you, if I lived in that state I wouldn't be calling the police for assistance.

THE PARENT called them for help! If this child was left in the car for hours, different story. That wasn't the case here and should have been obvious by the minimal increase in temperature in the car vs outside temperature. Using this logic anytime a cop is called they need to issue a ticket, regardless of the situation so the court can figure it out if something if a crime was committed. What has happened to a cop having the ability to make a decision without arresting someone, or issuing a ticket? This need to prosecute/ticket everything is undermining everything that law enforcement is suppose to stand for.

I can tell you, if I lived in that state I wouldn't be calling the police for assistance.
With all due respect I do believe you've got a chip on your shoulder here as if there are other things going on that are making you see it as if every single police officer out there is just out to get everyone.

As for living in that state:

According to your profile you live in NJ..I took a look at some of their statues....one of which I found quite interesting

Did you know "the habitual use by the parent or by a person having the custody and control of a child, in the hearing of such child, of profane, indecent or obscene language" is considered abuse of a child according to the State of New Jersey.

So of course I'm not saying your curse around your child but just know that your state considers that abuse should you do it habitually.

No they wouldn't. Every time they are called there isn't a ticketable offense going on. Obviously there was for this call.

If the child had been left for hours, he would be dead.

I am well aware that these things happen by accident. Accidentally locking the child and keys in the car, even unintentionally forgetting a baby in the backseat. It happens. But how is an officer supposed to know it was an accident? How many of those children that died had parents who were also the ones that called 911?

The article said "one" of the reasons, we don't know the other reasons.

I don't think automatically assuming the police are wrong is helpful.

Somehow if you ever have a true emergency, I don't think you will hesitate to call 911 and be thankful for who they send.

So...because one lady got a ticket, you wouldn't call the police, anywhere in the state for assistance? lol I am sure all jurisdictions have at one time or another issued a ticket that you would disagree with...not sure it will be safe for you anywhere.

I don't think it is an over-reaction. Almost nightly on the news you hear about a child dying, or being rescued, because they were left in a hot car. Accident or no, it is deadly far to often.

I also have to wonder if the protestations of It was only 15 minutes are equal to But officer, I only had 2 drinks before I got behind the wheel. Undercounting to make it seem not so bad.

I don't think it is an over-reaction. Almost nightly on the news you hear about a child dying, or being rescued, because they were left in a hot car. Accident or no, it is deadly far to often.

I also have to wonder if the protestations of It was only 15 minutes are equal to But officer, I only had 2 drinks before I got behind the wheel. Undercounting to make it seem not so bad.

That's what I'm pretty sure of. If they tried to pick the lock, and call AAA and THEN call 911, I think it's pretty likely that 15 min is an underestimate.

With all due respect I do believe you've got a chip on your shoulder here as if there are other things going on that are making you see it as if every single police officer out there is just out to get everyone.

According to your profile you live in NJ..I took a look at some of their statues....one of which I found quite interesting

Did you know "the habitual use by the parent or by a person having the custody and control of a child, in the hearing of such child, of profane, indecent or obscene language" is considered abuse of a child according to the State of New Jersey.

So of course I'm not saying your curse around your child but just know that your state considers that abuse should you do it habitually.
And you are being ridiculous. Really, you took the time to find out where I was from and look for some bizarre, old statute on the books in my state? I'm entitled to my opinion on this case just as you are entitled to yours. I''ll bow out of this one, because it's obvious that any opinion other that the police are always right is not appreciated by those on this thread, which is very sad.

No occupation is perfect and in this case the reaction was an overreaction.

That's what I'm pretty sure of. If they tried to pick the lock, and call AAA and THEN call 911, I think it's pretty likely that 15 min is an underestimate.
But you have no idea how long it took from the 911 call to the officer arriving on the scene. Plus, according to the article, the LEO tried to use a slim jim and a screw driver to open the door before breaking the window. How long did that take? It's possible they called 911 5 minutes after the car was locked. Then add the time for the officer to get to the scene and try his own ways of getting into the car, then getting something to break the window, etc. Are there parts of the story we're missing? I'm sure. But based on what WE have, I would say the ticket is not warranted.

Do you have any idea how out of line this post is? It's super creepy for you to look up where she lives and find random laws. Bringing her kid into just really takes it to a whole nothing level of over the line though.

And you are being ridiculous. Really, you took the time to find out where I was from and look for some bizarre, old statute on the books in my state? I'm entitled to my opinion on this case just as you are entitled to yours. I''ll bow out of this one, because it's obvious that any opinion other that the police are always right is not appreciated by those on this thread, which is very sad.

No occupation is perfect and in this case the reaction was an overreaction.
I didn't take the time..it's a second to figure that out:

upload_2017-6-24_14-43-19.png

You're more than welcome to adjust your privacy settings on your profile should you not want someone to see that information. All I did was click on your name..but sure yeah I'm being ridiculous :rolleyes:

I've got a suggestion for anyone who thinks the mother wasn't negligent--wait until it's 93 degrees out, put your car outside in the sun and then sit in it with the windows rolled up for 15 minutes (or more, because who knows how long the child was really in the car) and then come back and report if you would leave your kid in there that long without immediately calling the police, or what I would do after a minute or two, break the damn window!

It's obvious that they worried more about a car window than kid.

If you read the article the aunt claims she left the keys in the car when she got out and then went to open the back door and a gust of wind blew the doors shut and locked them. How does that happen? A gust of wind blew both the front and back door shut and caused both doors to be locked?

Obviously there is more to the story and why there was a ticket issued. The article said that the police didn't believe what they were being told. The story sounds a little sketchy to me.
What exactly do you suggest she break the window with? Fingernail clippers? Ever try and intentionally break a window? Should she have a crowbar or tire iron in her pocket? Self righteousness, is not a pretty thing. Hope that some of you never find yourself in that position even accidentally.

Well one of the things I picked up on from the article is this:

"One of the adults also called a roadside service, and a representative said someone would be on the way to help in a half hour."

Ok I have AAA and while they usually come 30mins to an hour I wouldn't be calling them to get into my car when my child is inside especially given the outside temp was 93 degrees (car was 97 degrees inside when the child was able to be freed). I understand the thoughtprocess behind it but in that situation relying on roadside service to get your child out was probably not the best thinking (I get it situations get make you fuzzy in that department it was just an interesting thing to me).

I also have to wonder if the adult who called the roadside service actually told the rep that a child was locked in the car. Honestly, I'd imagine that rep would have told the adult to call the police immediately rather than wait on someone to come because you locked your keys in your car (which unfortunately I have done that) because locking your keys in your car isn't an emergency whereas your child being locked in your car can turn into an emergency--that's just my thoughts though so who knows what the phone conversation was like.

As for the ticket my main thought is they are likely trying to send a message. The child was fine, according to the doctor at the hospital, so there is that.
Here in Vegas any reputable roadside service will come immediately if there is a child or animal involved. I'm sure they'd tell someone to call 911 in the meantime but they will send their closest person ASAP. There are billboards and ads about it especially in the summertime so I can see that being someone's initial response. Then it would just be a matter of who gets there first, the company or the Fire Dept.

It gets dangerously hot here really FAST. I have burned my arm badly on a seatbelt buckle in a vehicle that's only been sitting for about 30 mins so I'd be looking for something to bust out a window while I was on the phone with 911. I can't say whether these people hesitated too long or not. If they're not used to such high temps they may not have realized 15 mins may have been too long.

Do you have any idea how out of line this post is? It's super creepy for you to look up where she lives and find random laws. Bringing her kid into just really takes it to a whole nothing level of over the line though.
Do you have any idea how NOT out of line it is. It's on their freaking profile for heaven's sake. See screen shot from above comment. Websites have privacy settings for a reason. Maybe it's a good time to adjust those settings so no one can see that should you not want anyone to have access to that information.

And no I didn't bring her kid into the situation by any means..why in the world would you think I was making it personal when it wasn't at all. For some odd reason you like to find my posts on multiple threads and comment on them in such a way that is not related to the actual thread but is in a way to attack me. I would highly suggest you ignore me from now on because I'm tired of you quoting me and going at a personal jab. Your comment wasn't called for by any means.

Here in Vegas any reputable roadside service will come immediately if there is a child or animal involved. I'm sure they'd tell someone to call 911 in the meantime but they will send their closest person ASAP. There are billboards and ads about it especially in the summertime so I can see that being someone's initial response. Then it would just be a matter of who gets there first, the company or the Fire Dept.

It gets dangerously hot here really FAST. I have burned my arm badly on a seatbelt buckle in a vehicle that's only been sitting for about 30 mins so I'd be looking for something to bust out a window while I was on the phone with 911. I can't say whether these people hesitated too long or not. If they're not used to such high temps they may not have realized 15 mins may have been too long.
That's good to know. That's another reason why I'm wondering if the adult who called actually told them there was a child locked in the car.

I agree it can get super hot super fast. I haven't been burned by a seatbelt buckle but I have touched it when it was really hot and I didn't realize that. I'm sorry about your burned arm :sad1:

Thanks sunshine...that's why the Dis has the ignore feature, so you can ignore the creepy ones!

This is is an inaccurate perception of the way our criminal justice system works. Police are authorized to use discretion on whether to issue a ticket or arrest a person for a given offense. If you've ever had a cop let you off of a speeding ticket with a warning, you've been the beneficiary of this discretion. This discretion is based on a lot of things, such as the severity of the offense, if it seemed to be purposeful or not, etc. So yes, police officers routinely make judgments about the person they're dealing with and the circumstances before issuing or not issuing a citation.

Likewise, prosecutors have discretion in deciding which cases they will or will not prosecute. They typically first try to arrange a deal so that the case never goes to court, and failing that, they want to feel they have a reasonable chance of proving their case and getting a conviction before taking the case to court on the public's dime.

So no, it's not like police officers are robots who must write tickets & make arrests for every infraction they see, and the judge must decide all of these cases. Only a small minority of criminal cases ever end up being decided in front of a judge or jury.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea how NOT out of line it is. It's on their freaking profile for heaven's sake. See screen shot from above comment. Websites have privacy settings for a reason. Maybe it's a good time to adjust those settings so no one can see that should you not want anyone to have access to that information.

And no I didn't bring her kid into the situation by any means..why in the world would you think I was making it personal when it wasn't at all. For some odd reason you like to find my posts on multiple threads and comment on them in such a way that is not related to the actual thread but is in a way to attack me. I would highly suggest you ignore me from now on because I'm tired of you quoting me and going at a personal jab. Your comment wasn't called for by any means.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
It's a public forum with tools you can use to protect your privacy. I have seen tons of people say "oh well if you look at the poster's other posts you'll see X" I didn't by any means look at the profile which is generally how you would find out other posts from someone. I simply clicked on the hyperlink of the name. No reason to treat this forum any differently than other social media in that you don't want your information available don't let it be available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter