Month of August - WISH Team Walkers and Runners

Hello Wishers! I did my first group run with TnT today. We were down on Kelly drive in Philadelphia. I was scheduled to do 6 miles but did 6.5 because I kept looking for the water stop. I ended up turning around when I saw the markers on the path and realized that I had gone too far. It turns out that the second water stop was set up for the people doing 9-10 miles.

I also ran into Lou who was doing a 20 miles run. :cheer2::worship: It is scary to think that I will be up to that level in a few short months. Good luck!

Next week is an 8-10 mile run for me. I will be camping in the Hershey campground so I plan on getting my run in early on Saturday among the chocolate cows who eat chocolate grass and drink from the chocolate streams. ( I need to dig out my chocolate chocolate chocolate chocolate mug!) I hope everyone has a good week!

Hello Wishers! I did my first group run with TnT today. We were down on Kelly drive in Philadelphia. I was scheduled to do 6 miles but did 6.5 because I kept looking for the water stop. I ended up turning around when I saw the markers on the path and realized that I had gone too far. It turns out that the second water stop was set up for the people doing 9-10 miles.

I also ran into Lou who was doing a 20 miles run. :cheer2::worship: It is scary to think that I will be up to that level in a few short months. Good luck!

Next week is an 8-10 mile run for me. I will be camping in the Hershey campground so I plan on getting my run in early on Saturday among the chocolate cows who eat chocolate grass and drink from the chocolate streams. ( I need to dig out my chocolate chocolate chocolate chocolate mug!) I hope everyone has a good week!

Megan - Glad you spotted me on Kelly Drive. I was 14.5 miles into the run so I was in a fog when you saw me. I'm training for NYC on 11/1 which is why I was running 20 today. I think I saw the water stop you are talking about at Falls Bridge.

Great job on your run. Looking forward to seeing you an other WISHers at the PDR in a few short weeks. We'll plan a meet before and after the race at the Rocky statue.

Lou

Diane 16k is pretty standard for a 1/2 training plan. When I trained for Donald this year, that was the longest distance I did, and it worked out fine. If you feel more comfortable doing a slightly longer run just to prove that you can do it, I say fine. I would just remember to...1) leave yourself "taper time"--1-2 weeks prior to the race where your mileage is decreasing and 2) take your longer run easy. With that, I think you'' be fine.

Jackie Sorry the 18 didn't go as well as planned. But with the rest and the weather cooling, your 20 miler will be better, right?

Megan Hmmmmmm, chocolate..... I wonder if Hershey sponsors any race? Not that there chocolate is superior (although Cadbury manages), but still I would think the goody bag would be good!

Debra If you visit this board......heard anything about the "Spirit of Pittsburgh" races on November 1? The half distance would be just when I should do 13 and I am thinking of looking for races to do to get through the longer runs.

I had a step-back week so only 8 today. Went fine--not the strongest, but not bad. The weather is only in the upper 50's here! Feels good when you run. Will soon be tranistioning to my offical marathon plan.

Maura

This is cross posted from the August Ducks. I'm looking for some advice/experience/feedback on prep for Donald 2010.

I’ve been plugging along biking to work and running three times a week. I’ve chosen the MfM half plan. Just not sure if I can do all run. I may switch to the run/walk. Maybe a combination of run during the week and run/walk on the longer weekend runs. Just not confident that I can run more than four miles.

I ran in two local events this spring… a four mile and 5k. There is a local timed 10K that corresponds to my 6 mile run on the MfM plan (November 14). I want to do it to get more experience preparing and going through the nerves cycle. I expect it to be a hilly course given the county park location. I’m also doing it because, if memory serves, a decent 10K time could move me up in the Donald corrals.

So questions:
1. Sound idea to run an event as part of training?
2. What kind of 10K time will help my placement at WDW? What the corral to pace relationship?
3. Should I bother? My pace is currently around 12:30-13:00. I don't expect to get much beyond 12:00 by January.
4. Is everyone else starting MfM Half plan the week of October 4?

Thanks,
Ronda

Knees - Welcome. Perhaps I will see you at EEC. You'll probably fly right by me while I'm busy trying to stop myself from running directly to flame tree bbq.

Sounds like everyone had some great runs this weekend. I love reading about all the miles everyone's putting in. Keeps me motivated. I'm just trying to be more accountable for my running. Reading and reporting is really helping, I think.

Tonight I'm doing 38 minutes. Should be about 2.75. We'll see what the weather can do for me as it's gorgeous now, so I expect to get a boost from the fantastic weather here.

Have a great week everyone! :goodvibes

So questions:
1. Sound idea to run an event as part of training?

Ronda - I see no problem doing a race as part of training. I am doing a half on both Sept 6 and Sept 20 as part of my marathon training. Just remember that you should match your pace to what you would normally do. You will always gain a little speed doing a race but if you go for a PR instead of run at your training pace you may end up requiring more recovery time that you would otherwise.

Ronda - I see no problem doing a race as part of training. I am doing a half on both Sept 6 and Sept 20 as part of my marathon training. Just remember that you should match your pace to what you would normally do. You will always gain a little speed doing a race but if you go for a PR instead of run at your training pace you may end up requiring more recovery time that you would otherwise.

Just to add on to that, since Ronda had asked about possibly trying to go for a better corral placement, I would say don't press for a PR just for that reason. At the pace alluded to, it's not likely you will get a better placement as a result of this particular 10K.

On that note, if you do a race on a day where you would otherwise be doing a slightly longer run (say, if you were scheduled for a 9 miler that week), it might be a different story, since race-level effort is often higher than typical training.

Knees - Welcome!!! If you only knew how many WISHres you sound like. ;) I am blesseed taht dh runs with me, but everyone else in our world thought we were crazy to start. SO glad you found us!!!!

Ronda - SOund sliek you have gotten good advice so far. Stick with them. GLadd trianign is goign well!

JAckie - 18 milers suck. I have been there too many times. I think it's just one that seems like teh last step to the 20 adn there's nothing motivating about it or something. Don't worry, though, it's not a sign of how your race will be. My 2 best marathons were after my 2 worst 18-milers.

I finished my first olympic/international distance Tri tyesterday. It was great (except that the bike and swim were gollowed by teh longest, slowest 10K of my life). Still, that meant I left it all on teh course. My report is up on teh tri thread if you want the very lengthy version. ;)

and I added pictures to go along with Carrie's report!!

(most are generic - but you'll get a real feel for the Chicago area in case the Olympic bid comes for Chicago 2016!) a couple are of my DS!! (back in Jan I posted he was in the hospital and many of you sent up prayers - so PRAISES are in order as part of his recovery his goal was to do a triatholon - so that's one reason we were there! Unfortunately I didnt get any pics of Carrie, Scott, Jim, or Pat!! Wearing the WISH shirts - and hat was a great way to spot each other!! :wizard:)

Carrie I have to tell you when I did the 1/2 Marathon CDC that last part of the race from McCormick to the finish line was the same end part I believe - if not for Susie on the WISH team walking me that last part I wouldnt have finished it - I so wanted to lay down and die!! Somehow those moments of completion does make us stronger - and the WISH Scream Teamers (Yeah Pat and Jim) give just the boost needed!!

Good evening,
I went for my run after work tonight and the first 1km was not easy. Since I work mostly evening, I mostly do my run early morning. I must say it is a lot tougher running after work in the afternoon.
But I did try my new shoes and I love them (Mizuno wave creation).

Ronda- It seems that i hope to run the same pace as you for Donald which will be my first half. The training program I am following is from john Stanton who is a running guru up here in Canada. I run-walk 10:1. And like he says I will finish upright and smiling.

Diane

Knees Okay--how does one not sound weird addressing a note to a body part!:lmao: Welcome to the board--we are so glad you found us! Now hand over your valuables--just kidding, although how do we fund all out trips to WDW?

There are a lot of us who are fairly new to running--I started last year just to run the now-departed Minnie race. I'm impressed that you made Goofy your first marathon, too. I was too scared to do that.

If you look at the main race keeping thread you'll see there's a ton of people doing the Goofy, and there is a separate thread for that, too.

Plus, join us for the RFTT mini-meet. That;s on a separate thread, too.

Hope to meet up with you there.

Maura

:lmao: I guess I could see the weirdness in that. Be thankful, however that I was christened with "Knees" rather than another random body part. That could get even more weird..... :laughing:

Once I figure out how to keep my work from interfering with my forum time, I hope to check out all of the information. It's good to know that I will have plenty of company when it's time to go Goofy. A RFTT meet too? Wow..you guys sure know how to party!

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to meeting you!

Knees - Welcome!!! If you only knew how many WISHres you sound like. ;) I am blesseed taht dh runs with me, but everyone else in our world thought we were crazy to start. SO glad you found us!!!!

Thank you! I am glad that I found you guys too!

I had a great run last night. 2.6 miles (with a hill!). I even had enough energy left at the end to race my boyfriend to the finish (he let me win). Not every run feels good, but after the ones that do I feel so motivated to keep going.

Somebody should start a September thread. I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter