• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

More innapropriate 'Mug" behavior

I am bothered by things like this.
But I also wonder why restaurants (not neccesarily Disney) but McDonald's and such in general, put the soda fountains out in the open anyway.

Take it back to the old days where the cashier gave you your drink and if you wanted another one, you paid for it.

(This is all coming from someone who drinks water with meals) :confused3

This is a good idea, it might also give someone a job. :thumbsup2

I have a new resort mug and no where on the mug does it specifically state that I can't use it at McDonald's. And before anyone flames me I'm just kidding! Why would I need to do that anyway when I can just refill my McDonald's cup from my last visit? :)

You're the guy I saw recently filling a dirty Little Mermaid commemorative McDonalds cup at the drink station! I tried to say something to you but you were too busy converting your 1 double cheeseburger into 2 separate burgers.

<<It baffles me how people find the time to enjoy their own vacation while paying attention to everyone elses actions>>>
, I am not on vacation, Actually. I live here and am a CM and was having lunch when i noticed the mug incident. As for how i noticed, i was sitting directly in front of the beverage area, and the offenders were sitting a couple tables away from me so i noticed them and their mugs before they even went to the machine to fill their mugs..and yes, i suppose it is possible when they ordered their burgers they told the order taker they had their own mugs and would pay for the soda and use their mugs but i highly doubt ir, plus i am sure for sanitary reasons, Mcd would not want them using mugs..as i said in my original post, there is a sign at the bev station that stated outside cups are not allowed refills..Plus the offending party was a party of three older teenagers...

In 2008, I purchased a mug. One day we were headed to TL. I left my resort mug in our room and on the way stopped in the food court for a drink of soda. I filled up a portion approximately the same as the resort mug in my BB mug.

I had another guest say something to me and I replied that I did have a resort mug, but wasn't going to carry an extra mug around as I was headed to the waterpark.

I have no problem with the other guest questioning me. To some it appears I am stealing soda.

If all the places were to go back to having the soda behind the counter, then you would be waiting in a much longer line. All of the McDonald's around here still have them behind the counter. McDonald's has free refills on soda and coffee.

Stealing is stealing period. I'm sure they would have a conniption if someone took something from them:mad:. That is just a lack of respect for other peoples property. I wouldn't be surprised if they started locking people up for stealing drinks:rolleyes1( I know, I'm reaching :rotfl:). But can you imagine the horror:confused3 "it's just soda Officer" Officer: If it's JUST soda why didn't you pay for it:rolleyes1

I am bothered by things like this.
But I also wonder why restaurants (not neccesarily Disney) but McDonald's and such in general, put the soda fountains out in the open anyway.

Take it back to the old days where the cashier gave you your drink and if you wanted another one, you paid for it.

(This is all coming from someone who drinks water with meals) :confused3

This. I've never understood the mentality of having the soda out in the open. It's there for people to take as much of as they want.

I'm not saying that filling up a refillable mug without paying for a drink isn't stealing - it is - but if someone fills up their drink cup (that they paid for) 5 or 6 times, McDonald's is 'losing' (I use the term losely) just as much as someone filling up their refillable mug once, after buying a couple of burgers and fries without a drink :confused3

You're the guy I saw recently filling a dirty Little Mermaid commemorative McDonalds cup at the drink station! I tried to say something to you but you were too busy converting your 1 double cheeseburger into 2 separate burgers.

I didn't think anyone saw that. If only McDonalds had the free topping bar so I could have made my whole family a free salad.

This. I've never understood the mentality of having the soda out in the open. It's there for people to take as much of as they want.

I'm not saying that filling up a refillable mug without paying for a drink isn't stealing - it is - but if someone fills up their drink cup (that they paid for) 5 or 6 times, McDonald's is 'losing' (I use the term losely) just as much as someone filling up their refillable mug once, after buying a couple of burgers and fries without a drink :confused3

But McDonalds refills soda and coffee for free. Doesn't matter if it's behind the counter.

Cups? Mugs? In my family, we just put our mouths under our favorite flavor and hit the button.

Cups? Mugs? In my family, we just put our mouths under our favorite flavor and hit the button.

2.gif

My DH is known to go a little silly with refills, he gets that type of behaviour from his parents. All of them are ever so pleased if they work out they can get even better on the good deal they're getting. eg. Here they charge a surcharge for seafood and chicken on pizza, DH worked out if he ordered online and selected a build your own he could add seafood and chicken at no extra cost. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on him when we go.

For those wondering why restaurants keep the soda machines out in the open and allow guests to fill their own cups, the reason is that labor costs a lot more than soda. IOW, employing people to fill beverage cups is expensive. It's cheaper to allow the occasional soda theft than to pay people to fill the cups.

I've seen people using all kinds of mugs at WDW resorts--Universal, Big Gulps, Six Flags, etc.--but it doesn't bother me. I really could care less what other people do in the food court, as long as whatever they're doing doesn't compromise sanitary conditions.

LOL!!!!

Anyway, back to the OP. Soda is so unhealthy anyway, let them drink as much as they want...it will come back to haunt them!! lol.

Hi
Just finished having lunch at the McDonald's by the All Star Resorts and observed a group of three guests with current Disney mugs filling their mug at the Mcd soda fountain...and there is a clealy visible sign at the beverage station stating cups brought in from outside are not allowed refills there...bad mug behavior indeed.

Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

Jackie-Chiles.jpg

I know of some McDees that charge you for a cup if they have a refill station. Same with some Subways I've been to.

This sucks for those of us who really just want some tap water.

It's the law that any place that sells food or drink MUST provide a small cup of water free of charge for those that ask.... it's a medical thing....

:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

This has nothing to do with the high cost of soda. The number of people who do this is but a marginally fractional percentage. The reason for the high cost of soda is corporate greed and making up for losses (i.e. not enough profit) on other things -- soda actually costs the purveyor pennies, and they charge 1000% (I'm not kidding you, my DH has done accounting for restaurants) of their cost. The actual cost of the soda swipers' actions is the price you all pay in the high blood pressure you get from jumping on your high horse and galloping away.

OMG! Agree!!!!!

Since this isn't really about trip planning, I'm going to move this to the theme parks community board.

But McDonalds refills soda and coffee for free. Doesn't matter if it's behind the counter.

Yes, but the issue is not buying one to begin with. Just filling mugs you brought with you free. That is stealing no matter what type of "corporate greed" argument one attempts to put on it.

If you understand business at all you would realize that something like soda, which doesn't cost Disney (or McDonalds) very much is a profit builder for the company. It helps make up for the lost leaders like progressively lower daily rates for tickets. It's why they do it, to get you to stay longer so you will spend money on things that make a profit for them. Without profit, no matter how righteous we want to feel about it, will eventually end. Even if they can survive giving away soft drinks, can anyone tell me why they should. You don't work without getting paid do you?

If one were to spend just a moment and think about how much it must cost to operate places like WDW Theme Parks, I think that you will figure out that a lot of the profit they make is from things other then the parks.

Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

Jackie-Chiles.jpg

Do we have a chance? You get me one soda drinker on that jury, you gonna walk outta there a rich man.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter