• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

More innapropriate 'Mug" behavior

Honestly though for all anybody knows this family was trying to be "green" and said, "no thanks, we don't need any cups, we've got our own mugs" when they paid for their drinks.
Surely the members of this board aren't the only people in the world who are above trying to cop free soft drinks.

I wondered the same thing, actually.

So going green is the new name for stealing?:rotfl2:

Re-read the bolded part in the above quote.

So going green is the new name for stealing?:rotfl2:

I guess you missed the part where I said, "Paid for their drinks"?

When I worked QSR in the parks a lot of people offered their mugs even when they had to pay for drinks because they prefered to use the mug instead of the paper cup. Although we couldn't actually put the drink directly in the mug in those instances.

All I'm saying is it's awfully easy to judge a situation when you've only seen half of it.

I see people getting "water" cups all the time, only to fill it with Coke at the drink station. There will ALWAYS be people trying to "get over" on the rules.

My local McDonald's gives out water cups that are the same cups they put ice cream in (that don't fit a lid) because they are clear so they can see if people are stealing soda.

Another McDonald's we went to last month wanted to charge $1.00 per cup even for water (the same price as the soda) and a different McDonald's said they can only give 1 water cup per order (despite ordering for 4 people).

Very annoying for those of us who really just wanted water and have all these new policies in place because of those people too cheap to pay $1.00 for soda and steal it instead.

I say stick it to that McD's. At Christmas this past year, I paid for the most expensive McD's cheeseburger I've had. It was bad enough what they charged me for a double cheeseburger, it added insult to injury when I got back to my room, to see they had only giving me a single.

:mad:

Back to the OP, it's amazing how many people you'll see doing that with the refills. I thought we were always being "cheap" when we'd fill it up right before we left. Another place is the WDW food courts. I couldn't believe how many people were using whatever container they wanted at the beverage stands. I honestly was thinking, well, the people that bring back mugs from previous stays at least purchased the mug at one time. Not sure they sell Dunkin' Donuts' mugs at the WDW resorts, but that's what I saw one guy using.

I say stick it to that McD's. At Christmas this past year, I paid for the most expensive McD's cheeseburger I've had. It was bad enough what they charged me for a double cheeseburger, it added insult to injury when I got back to my room, to see they had only giving me a single.

:mad:

Back to the OP, it's amazing how many people you'll see doing that with the refills. I thought we were always being "cheap" when we'd fill it up right before we left. Another place is the WDW food courts. I couldn't believe how many people were using whatever container they wanted at the beverage stands. I honestly was thinking, well, the people that bring back mugs from previous stays at least purchased the mug at one time. Not sure they sell Dunkin' Donuts' mugs at the WDW resorts, but that's what I saw one guy using.

He was obviously doing his part for the environment. He didn't even waste a WDW plastic mug!

I am bothered by things like this.
But I also wonder why restaurants (not neccesarily Disney) but McDonald's and such in general, put the soda fountains out in the open anyway.

Take it back to the old days where the cashier gave you your drink and if you wanted another one, you paid for it.

(This is all coming from someone who drinks water with meals) :confused3

It is possible that those people actually bought a drink and the OP just didn't see it and they were refilling their mugs. Or, like another poster said maybe they told them they didn't need cups, they have their mugs. There are a lot of places that you can bring in your refillable mug and pour your own drink or coffee and get a refill price rather than the regular price since you're using your own mug. (at least where I live). We don't know exactly what transpired only what the OP saw.

Personally, I wish Disney would go with some sort of electronic soda system where the soda would only pour if you swipe your mug (current mugs only). Or maybe you can swipe your room key. Cruise lines have started this with their soda package. There is a bar code on the cup and you have to wait like 5 minutes in between fill ups.

It is possible that those people actually bought a drink and the OP just didn't see it and they were refilling their mugs. Or, like another poster said maybe they told them they didn't need cups, they have their mugs. There are a lot of places that you can bring in your refillable mug and pour your own drink or coffee and get a refill price rather than the regular price since you're using your own mug. (at least where I live). We don't know exactly what transpired only what the OP saw.

Personally, I wish Disney would go with some sort of electronic soda system where the soda would only pour if you swipe your mug (current mugs only). Or maybe you can swipe your room key. Cruise lines have started this with their soda package. There is a bar code on the cup and you have to wait like 5 minutes in between fill ups.

If I remember correctly they have that at Typhoon Lagoon already for their good for one day only refillable mugs.

OK - going out on a limb here and I probably will be flamed but.....

Sodas don't cost the restaurants all that much. Certainly way less than the price you are paying. It's one of the most profitable items. So each restaurant has to weigh the price of bad thoughts of customers versus just ignoring it. It doesn't eat into profits as much as people think.

No, I do NOT condone this behavior. However, I don't think restaurants are going to jump over hoops to do anything about it. I would never refill my drink cup for free when I'm not supposed to but I'm also not going to go crazy when someone else does.

To paraphase Forest Gump, "stuff happens". Wipe it off, continue on.

I have a new resort mug and no where on the mug does it specifically state that I can't use it at McDonald's. And before anyone flames me I'm just kidding! Why would I need to do that anyway when I can just refill my McDonald's cup from my last visit? :)

At least on Disney Cruise Line, the soda refills are free. There is no need for a soda package or bar codes.

That said, DCL does NOT want you using your own cups even though it's free. It's for cleanliness and keeping the spread of germs minimized. They provide cups to use for each refill. I'm surprised that as careful as cruise ships are today with cleanliness that any cruise ship lets you use a refillable mug.

As another poster said, Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon have the bar codes to swipe. You can reuse your mug from a previous trip, but you have to buy a new barcode sticker.

That said, DCL does NOT want you using your own cups even though it's free. It's for cleanliness and keeping the spread of germs minimized. They provide cups to use for each refill.

I wish that people at DCL would share that idea with the rest of Disney.

I saw someone refill a diet coke 20oz bottle - I rolled my eyes at her & shook my head - then told my son that - that was stealing
after that I didn't see her again but I hope she heard me

At least on Disney Cruise Line, the soda refills are free. There is no need for a soda package or bar codes.

That said, DCL does NOT want you using your own cups even though it's free. It's for cleanliness and keeping the spread of germs minimized. They provide cups to use for each refill. I'm surprised that as careful as cruise ships are today with cleanliness that any cruise ship lets you use a refillable mug.

As another poster said, Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon have the bar codes to swipe. You can reuse your mug from a previous trip, but you have to buy a new barcode sticker.

I have traveled on Royal Carribean for many cruises and they have the refillable mug. You can go to any bar throughout the ship and have it refilled. Or some ships have the bar code system and you can refill it yourself. I heard that Disney soda is included. I wish it was included on other cruise lines.

I'm sure we've been giving the mug patrol minor coronaries since we've been here. My aunt gave our dd3 an old mug from 2 years ago. She LOVES this mug and wants to use it or everything. So we brought it with us and have been taking it to the parks.

We haven't used it for anything other than our OWN drinks that we bring in for the kids, but I've heard a couple of people snark out "that's not even this years mug". :rotfl2: MYOB folks!

Actually we were going to bring one of our old WL mugs to fill up at Kidani just for a picture of it to post here as a joke, but forgot it during the chaos of having to relocate.

We'll actually be getting a couple of sets of mugs with our DxDP segments. The whole thing is just ridiculous. 3 separate nights on the DxDP - 3 sets of mugs. Can I only use the first mug on the 1 night and then I have to put it away and use the next mug :confused3 :rotfl:

Oh the things that bother some people...

I am bothered by things like this.
But I also wonder why restaurants (not neccesarily Disney) but McDonald's and such in general, put the soda fountains out in the open anyway.

Take it back to the old days where the cashier gave you your drink and if you wanted another one, you paid for it.

(This is all coming from someone who drinks water with meals) :confused3

Many have, the others just raise the prices and everyone pays for what others steal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter