More news & VMK closure thoughts

Dave Dizney

<font color=blue>Super-Duper organized Ultimate Di
Well, here is what I've found out from my limited sources. They reflect mostly opinion, but from some who know better than I.

From what I've understood, the decision to close VMK was reached back in the summer/late fall and included the closure of the VMK shops at the parks. There was some objection which resulted in the last quarters barrage of additions to the game. This decision occurred during a time of "turnover" at Disney Internet - which makes me wonder if the Yavn of today is also the Yavn of a few months ago (just a question I've been wondering about for the last few days). My sources say this was a decision based on the bottom line - and the plan was that money was to be thrown at the new Pirates game (which was about to go golden around the same time as the park shops began to close). From what I understand, there has been a lot of internal battles over this, including a plan to launch a pay VMK site, but at this point the decision is to close VMK down for good. In all probability, the top brass at Disney was informed about this decision, but at arms length as far as the decision-making of VMK’s future was concerned.

I also have another secondary conclusion based on my background work with the media: The news companies (local and national) care little about the closure of an online video game. At best, this is a HI (human interest) story, but a weak one at that. CNN or Fox is too busy covering the presidential race, the death of an Al-Qaeda leader, and the economy to work in this story which would have connectivity to so few. Let's face it - VMK is important to us, but not the masses.

The only exception that comes to mind is the online Disney news sites. I’m wondering if any high profile non-Disney Disney site will do an investigative story on this? Where is Jim Hill or Al Lutz on this story? Sometimes their stories can get a rise out of Disney corporate. I’d suggest we approach them to lift up our cause.

Finally, to me, there’s another potential answer to our need to proactively vent. Since the media doesn't care about VMK’s demise, possibly the decision-makers do. Bob Iger and John Lasseter I believe could be persuaded to care about this place where the die-hard fans and imprintable children reside in an on-going advertisement for Disney Parks and Disney media. So far, I've found them both to be open and concerned about those things that will link people to the brand, and, if there is a potential financial gain (such as a pay VMK site), they just might be swayed. I would encourage that if there be any letter-writing, that the communications go directly to the corporate heads who actually have some say-so in what happens and have initially demonstrated that they care what Disney fanatics think. I would keep the communications short, pointed, and sweet (a spoon-full of sugar...).

Remember, the head leads the body. I'd suggest we go to the top. Just my 2 cents.

I think John Lasseter would be the best bet both from personality and his position in the company. He is one of the few who would understand the "attachment" so many have to VMK rather than just be interested in the bottom line. Can someone add him to the contacts list?

Thanks for your comments- I especially appreciated your remarks about the news media and coverage of VMK closing.

I personally feel that while this may be 'huge' for a small amount of the world's population- it is in the end, important that those who are able to (I am not talking about kids with autism or those who can't understand, obviously- they are the ones my heart is breaking for!) remember that this is a video game. I hope that people can keep it in perspective if the bids to save VMK don't work.

I have to say I have rarely if ever been prouder of my young daughter than when I mentioned to her yesterday about the possibility of CNN covering the story and she turned to me and said "Mom, there's a war on, aren't there more important stories they should be covering?" She's a kid, and she realizes that VMK is a game not your life.

Summed it all up for me right there. I hope people can keep it in perspective and enjoy the time that is left in VMK.

I for one plan to give a lot of stuff away randomly have already given some magic away and things- all I want to have left at the end is my plain black clothing which I have worn 99.9 percent of the time since I joined two years ago LOL and my black ears.

Laren

Actually, I was going to post that we need to make contacts to news agencies about the human interest side of this.
Such as the way it's helped many people to get through tough a hard life. It helps/has helped people through sickness and disease.
It's helped children with social problems.
It's helped to make some families stronger as they can play together.
It's also created real families and friendships (Coriander and Out, Bug and Bears to name a couple).

Unfortunately, those that have never experienced VMK can no longer sign up. Which makes it difficult for any journalist to do an in depth story. Most people would never know that many friendships will be completely broken because of the limitations VMK puts on what we say. They have no idea about what it's really like in the game.

I have also been saying all along that we need to get word to the higher ups. :thumbsup2

And send them these stories about the real Disney lovers and those that came to love Disney just because of VMK. Also send them screen shots of not just our characters, but of some of the public rooms in VMK. Do these people even know that there is a statue of Walt & Mickey in the game? Do they know of the tiniest details transferred from the real parks to the virtual version? Probably not.

There needs to be a balance of both the human aspect and the money aspect. They are businessmen after all.

remember that this is a video game.

I have to disagree here. A video game has no social interaction.
A video game cannot affect real change in people.

VMK has lots of social interaction and has changed many people's lives.

Thanks for your comments- I especially appreciated your remarks about the news media and coverage of VMK closing.

I personally feel that while this may be 'huge' for a small amount of the world's population- it is in the end, important that those who are able to (I am not talking about kids with autism or those who can't understand, obviously- they are the ones my heart is breaking for!) remember that this is a video game. I hope that people can keep it in perspective if the bids to save VMK don't work.

I have to say I have rarely if ever been prouder of my young daughter than when I mentioned to her yesterday about the possibility of CNN covering the story and she turned to me and said "Mom, there's a war on, aren't there more important stories they should be covering?" She's a kid, and she realizes that VMK is a game not your life.

Summed it all up for me right there. I hope people can keep it in perspective and enjoy the time that is left in VMK.

I for one plan to give a lot of stuff away randomly have already given some magic away and things- all I want to have left at the end is my plain black clothing which I have worn 99.9 percent of the time since I joined two years ago LOL and my black ears.

Laren
I personally strongly disagree with you. I have seen stories such as 2 girls fighting to be put on youtube. WOW! THAT IS TRAGIC! VMK affects 150,000 people. Not 1 Not 2 Not 3 150,000. This is Disney.
Sure it is just a "game" but it is a game I have came to love. I met many nice people in the game so it is more of a game of friendship. So Disney takes away 50 friends away from me!

I am not saying my virtual friends are more important then real life friends. I am just saying that they have became good friends. And when I have some free time on my hands I could log on to VMK.

Also earning items for two years for me is tough. Taking them away in a short notice us horrid.

I know you probably do not play VMK much however to me it is a 2nd home.

Like I said I am not saying VMK is my life. I am just saying VMK is a great thing to have in my life.

Actually we play VMK in my household every single day after work/school and constantly on weekends. We got a second computer mostly so that my husband and child could play VMK together. We have been members since summer of 06 and have spent countless hours there. We have friends lists too. We have many wonderful VMK memories.

I don't mean to demean the place VMK has in anyones life, it is just that some of the reactions here really scare me as to what is going to happen to the people writing them if the "Save VMK' strategies don't work. I am worried about people :(

I don't want to 'hijack' the OP's thread this will be my last reply to this-I don't want to argue with anyone- I am just hoping that people can get some perspective and enjoy the time left.

The only exception that comes to mind is the online Disney news sites. I’m wondering if any high profile non-Disney Disney site will do an investigative story on this? Where is Jim Hill or Al Lutz on this story? Sometimes their stories can get a rise out of Disney corporate. I’d suggest we approach them to lift up our cause.

This is a BRILLIANT idea. I definately plan to write Al Lutz tonight. I believe his contact information is available on a certain place where people chat about mice. I think him...or some of the other columnists featured overe there..could be of help! THANKS!

This is a BRILLIANT idea. I definately plan to write Al Lutz tonight. I believe his contact information is available on a certain place where people chat about mice. I think him...or some of the other columnists featured overe there..could be of help! THANKS!

Great! Anyone have an in with Jim Hill? How about Deb Wills? How about Steve Russo or Mike Scopa? Anyone out there have any of these people's ears???

Great! Anyone have an in with Jim Hill? How about Deb Wills? How about Steve Russo or Mike Scopa? Anyone out there have any of these people's ears???

Dave, this is a fabulous idea! Jim Hill's pieces get a lot of attention, and hopefully Deb would be interested as well. Thank you so much for your posts.

BTW, I saw your TC special several times; watching your family experience the World was wonderful! Nice to see you over on these parts of the DIS. :goodvibes

Dave, this is a fabulous idea! Jim Hill's pieces get a lot of attention, and hopefully Deb would be interested as well. Thank you so much for your posts.

BTW, I saw your TC special several times; watching your family experience the World was wonderful! Nice to see you over on these parts of the DIS. :goodvibes

Thanks! I think the Travel Channel show has seen it's last days - it ran on Discovery HD this Spring, but I'm sure it's days are numbered.

I think a story on Mouse Planet, Mice Age, Jim Hill Media, AllEars.net, Intercot, or other Disney Fan sites might actually get some notice. Does anyone out there have ties with any of these site leaders?

Laren - I completely agree with you! I have played VMK since January 2006 and am very sad to see it closed too, but I think things are starting to get WAY out of hand. My thoughts were the same as Laren's daughter...look at what is going on in the world...look at what is on CNN and we are more worried about VMK? What good will it do to contact these new agencies anyways? If you make Disney mad, they won't change their minds. Beisdes, if Disney comments, they will say that the game was a promotion for the 50th celebration and they extended it because it was so popular. We were lucky to have it longer than it was intended, but there isn't a news story there. What about all of those millions of people who do not play VMK? They will think that it is silly for people to be so upset about this and they will question how playing a game on a computer can be better for kids than spending time with family. To me VMK is more than a game, but to everyone else I know and tell VMK about, they think it is very silly and a waste of time. We, the VMK players, are only a very, very small portion of this world.

Fight for VMK, yes, but keep it in perspective and do not let it get anymore out of hand. Lets do what we can, but also enjoy what little time we have left.

But if we can't be passionate about the small things in life, the good things that give us pleasure, then what's the point? To a child, this is huge. Just as important as the Chinese human rights protests over the Olympic torch or who gets to sit in the White House. So your grownup "keep it in perspective" is meaningless to them. Those of us who are adult players of VMK, are speaking for the voiceless ones, the children, who have no advocate for them in the real world to speak to the things that matter to them.

Oh, there are many who are their advocates for the serious things like hunger and child abuse. What I mean are the things that can seem trivial to a grownup but will have a child cry him or herself to sleep. VMK closing is just as devasting to them as losing a job would be to one of us. While we can keep it in perspective, I'm not sure the little ones can without at least a sense that we tried for them to save what they love.

I contacted Jim Hill. Will try the others tomorrow.

I wrote to Deb/allears and recieved a reply last night:

Your best bet is to direct all communication to The Disney Company
President at the address below:

Mr. Robert Iger
Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

I was told by a local news station to go to the website of Oprah and Ellen because they are big on human interest stories. I went to both and incourage others to do the same. On the Oprah site search contact us and then submit a storyline. On Ellen just click the email Ellen.

There are many angles to this VMK closing. And one that is not really been talked about. The influence of interet games on kids. We all know kids spend far to much time infront of a TV or computer/game system.

Why is VMK so special. Many different views and opinions. But what it is to many is a techology bridge.

Parents and kids sharing their love of Disney as a family. Less competitive and violent. Grandparents learning to use a computer they were once so scared of because they can spend time with their grand kids in a meanful way. No canned phases, no funny animals just virtual mini mes'

Teaching social skills, manners, and learning not following the rules also can effect you in a virtual world.

Many people who never played computer games are earning new skills.

The hand and eye coordination as a form of therapy playing VMK games and building rooms.

How many hugs do you get in the real world. How many smiles. ?

A place in the big world wide web were caring and friendships is more important than getting high score and destroying the enemy.

I find it so ironic that there is a place that no matter where you live, what race you are young in life or young in heart. That soon wil not exist. And there is no viable alternative coming from disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter