Moved from the Budget Board: Salad recipes?? - Graduation party

A tweaked version of an allrecipes.com recipe we LOVE!

Sweet Pasta Salad
Prep time: 4 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes
Servings: 10

Ingredients:
1 pound rotini pasta
4 carrots, shredded
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I used most of a red pepper and most of a yellow pepper)
1 onion, diced (left out - I'd probably add some next time)
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoon salt (left out)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (left out - add it next time)
* I added a package of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a package of sliced pepperoni. They were out of the stick pepperoni or I'd have used chunks of that instead of the sliced.

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. In large bowl, combine pasta, carrot, green pepper and onion. In medium bowl, combine vinegar, condensed milk, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Toss salad with dressing and chill 4 hours in refrigerator before serving.

* it makes a lot of dressed - some people on the recipe board have used only 1/2 or 2/3 of the dressing in this salad. The dressing tastes similar to a coleslaw dressing I had once before so that might be fun as well

Mediterranean Orzo Salad

1 lb. orzo pasta
1/4 lemon juice
1/4 cp EVOO
1 pound tomatoes diced
1 seedless cucumber quartered and cut into 1/2 inc pieces
1/3 cp pitted Klamata olives, coarsley chopped
8 oz feta cheese crumbled
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Prepare pasta as diected on box , drain in collander and rinse with cold water.
Set aside.
Meanwhile , in a small whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. set aside.

In a large bowl combine the tomatoes,cucumbers,olives,feta cheese,and Orzo.Add the drssing and toss well to coat. Season with the salt and pepper.:cutie:

I LOVE this salad. The only difference with my recipe is that mine also has fresh dill in it. The original recipe that a friend shared with me also had fresh shrimp in it, but I usually don't do that as some of my friends/relatives don't eat shrimp.

My friend who brought it to my home had the top decorated beautifully with fresh dill springs, cherry tomato halves, and cucumber slices.

What great recipes! I'll be trying a lot of them this summer for sure!!

Hope this isn't a waste of your time because it isn't a traditional "salad" - but I think it is really fun and clever. When we had a salad pot luck at work one time, one of my coworkers brought an "M&M Salad" - basically she took a bag of each kind of M&M - plain, peanut, peanut butter, mint, etc - and mixed them all together in a bowl! It was a great compliment to all the other conventional salads.....and was really pretty to look at. :)

The Mediterranean Orzo sounds so good! I'm assuming in the recipe it's 1/4 C of lemon juice?

Yes I'm sorry ,it's a 1/4 cup of lemon juice. They had the recipe in my newspaper and it sounded really good and differn't.

What great recipes! I'll be trying a lot of them this summer for sure!!

Hope this isn't a waste of your time because it isn't a traditional "salad" - but I think it is really fun and clever. When we had a salad pot luck at work one time, one of my coworkers brought an "M&M Salad" - basically she took a bag of each kind of M&M - plain, peanut, peanut butter, mint, etc - and mixed them all together in a bowl! It was a great compliment to all the other conventional salads.....and was really pretty to look at. :)

This would look real pretty in a clear glass bowl. I have some M & M fanatics coming... I may just add it to the dessert table with a little scoop for serving. :goodvibes

Thanks!!

Thanks luckey-lasvegas! I assumed right! I will definitely make this, hopefully this week, and let you know how it was.

Chicken twist salad:

8 oz corkscrew tricolor pasta
3 c cooked chicken
3/4 c green olives sliced
1 c diced celery
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c diced cucumber
1 tsp salt
1/2 c mayo
1 tbs mustard
1 tsp pepper
1 c italian dressing
3 tbs lemon juice.

Cook pasta as directed. Mix cooked chicken and italian dressing with pasta. Cool. Blend mayo, lemon juice, and mustard. Stir in chopped onion. olives, cucumber, celery, salt and pepper. Add to pasta mixture and chill.

Quick and easy salad

1 tub cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can cherry pie filling
marshmellows (mini)

mix all together. I add more marshmellows if I need a bigger batch.:stir:

I don't like cherries but blueberry works just as well.

I just wanted to add I made the Mediterranean orzo salad this afternoon and it is so wonderful! Perfect summer, fresh pasta salad. I will always make this.

I'm thinking of doing this for my daughter's graduation party. OP: did you end up doing a salad party? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!

Ok. I am not sure how budget friendly these are but, they are definitely unique, simple, tasty. Here they are...

Easy Pasta Salad
1 box small pasta noodles (elbows, small shells, ditalini, rotini, etc.)
1 pint grape tomatoes (cherry or roma tomatoes work too, just cut smaller)
1 seedless cucumber
1 can sliced black olives
italian dressing (1/4 cup?)
Grated parmesan cheese (1/4 cup?)
Cook & drain pasta. In large bowl mix pasta with a small amount of dressing to keep from sticking. Drain olives, add to pasta. Add tomatoes. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise. Slice cucumber, and add to pasta. Stir together, add more dressing. Do not add too much dressing. The warm pasta should soak up the dressing as it chills. Chill. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and mix to blend. Serve.

Italian Cole Slaw
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 head cabbage, shredded **
1 carrot, shredded **
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
** Or USE 1 bag of slaw mix instead
Mix first 4 ingredients. Mix vegetables in a large bowl with a lid.
Pour dressing over veggies, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Toss before opening.

Turkey & Rice salad
1 box (10 oz) frozen white & wild rice (rice with green beans)
6 large tomatoes
2 cups diced cook turkey
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup mayo or salad dressing
2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (can use regular balsamic. mix will be darker)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Cook rice according to directions on box. Chill in fridge 10 min. Cut tops from tomatoes, gently squeeze out seeds. Remove pulp, leaving shell. Drain upside down, refrigerate until serving time. In medium bowl, mix rice, turkey, celery, pepper and onions. In small bowl, mix mayo, vinegar, salt & pepper. Pour over salad, stir gently to coat. Cover, refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Just before serving, spoon salad into tomato shells.

Greek Pasta salad
2/3 cup EVOO
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 coarse ground black pepper
1 clove finely chopped garlic
8 oz uncooked rotini pasta
4 oz sliced hard salami, quartered
1 seedless cucumber, cut into chunks
1 small green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
1 small red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
2 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges, then in half
1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
2 teaspoons dried basil
6 oz crumbled feta
In a blender, put first 7 ingredients. Blend on medium until smooth.
Cook & drain pasta according to package. Rinse with cold water to cool and drain. In large bowl mix remaining ingredients with pasta. Add dressing. Toss gently. Serve immediately.

Mediterranean Bulgur salad
2 cups boiling water
11/2 cups uncooked bulgur
11/2 cups water
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 15 oz can chick peas, drained
1/2 cup greek dressing
In large bowl, pour 2 cups boiling water over bulgur. Let stand 30 minutes.
In saucepan, heat 11/2 cups water to boiling add broccoli. Cook 1 minute drain and rinse in cold water. Stir remaining ingedients and broccoli into bulgur. Serve.

Confetti Quinoa salad
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10 oz) bag frozen shelled edamame
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
3/4 cup italian vinaigrette dressing
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leafed parsley
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
In a saucepan, heat quinoa, water & salt to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover & simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Cool at least 30 minutes.
Cook and drain edamame according to package. Rise with cold water to cool, and drain. In large bowl toss all ingredients together. Serve.

Layered fruits with creamy lime dressing
dressing
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
fruit
cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, mangoes cut up into bite sized pieces
blueberries
In medium bowl beat together first 3 dressing ingredients until smooth. Fold in whipped cream.
In a trifle bowl, layer cantaloupe, then strawberries. Spread half of the dressing over strawberries. Next layer mangoes, then blueberries, then honeydew. Spread remaining dressing on top. Serve.

Bacon Ranch Potato salad
11/2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1/2 cup ranch dressing
In pot, put potatoes and salt, add water just to cover. Heat to boiling, reduce heat simmer until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well, cool. In large bowl, place potatoes, tomatoes, celery, chives and bacon. Stir in dressing. Serve warm or cold.

There are some great ideas on here for DS upcoming HS Grad party! :goodvibes Thanks everyone! I am making the food myself, and attempting to be very "budget friendly"!

Recently hubby and I ate at Ruby Tuesdays (BOGOF coupon LOL)! On the salad bar there was some type of cold pasta salad with peas and ham. Is anyone a regular there? Any idea of how to make it? I usually do not care for peas, but these were firm and sweet (not mushy) and it was yummy!

TIA everyone! :)

On the salad bar there was some type of cold pasta salad with peas and ham. I usually do not care for peas, but these were firm and sweet (not mushy) and it was yummy!

RUBY TUESDAY'S PASTA SALAD CLONE

SALAD:
8 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained
8 ounces ham, cubed*, about 2 cups
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese*, cubed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, cooked and drained

DRESSING:
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup grated parmesan or Romano cheese
2 teaspoons dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl combine salad ingredients.

In a smaller bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over macaroni mix and toss to blend well. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. (More mayonnaise or sour cream may be needed.)

Depending on how firm the peas were/are, you may want to thaw them in cold running water instead of cooking them.

Black Bean Salsa Salad

I always double the recipe, but it makes quite a bit.
A single recipe is:

1 can black beans drained and rinsed

1 can shoepeg corn drained and rinsed

1 red onion chopped

4-5 tomatoes chopped

1 green pepper chopped

1 jalapeno chopped(remove seeds)

1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped

juice from 2 large limes

1 tablespoon of olive oil (maybe a dash more)

1 teaspoon of garlic powder

1 teaspoon of salt

1 tablespoon of sugar(optional)

Can serve as a salad or with doritoes as a dip.

Gets juicier as it sits so don’t think you need more oil

Lasts maybe a day or two but gets yucky after that.

RUBY TUESDAY'S PASTA SALAD CLONE

SALAD:
8 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained
8 ounces ham, cubed*, about 2 cups
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese*, cubed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, cooked and drained

DRESSING:
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup grated parmesan or Romano cheese
2 teaspoons dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl combine salad ingredients.

In a smaller bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over macaroni mix and toss to blend well. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. (More mayonnaise or sour cream may be needed.)

Depending on how firm the peas were/are, you may want to thaw them in cold running water instead of cooking them.

WOW :goodvibes thank you so much... I was going to try to recreate but it definately (dressing wise) would not have been the same! That was an awesome salad and it does not sound very hard to make at all! I appreciate your posting it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter