My budget trip doesnt feel like a budget trip...

What one person considers budget is definitely not what another considers budget. A budget trip for us would not include a massage or pricey breakfast every morning nor would it include $300 wands. That's just not something we would do if we were truly trying to travel on a budget. That said, if you were just trying to go cheaper than normal, don't stress and enjoy yourself.

Don't like simulators? Out of luck! At Disney, so many family rides and other experiences that even those who don't do coasters can have things to do. My husband spent SO much time at Universal just waiting for us to come back from a simulator.

Now, Harry Potter. That was fantastic! Just wish we had cut Universal shorter.

You nailed it as to why I can easily do both Universal Parks in one day and although I think the HP areas are cute and great theming, its a one and done park for me. But alas -- I don't like most simulator rides. The only simulator ride I have tried (and unfortunately I've tried a lot ) is Soaring. My favorite attraction at Universal is the train between the two parks. So many, though, really enjoy the Universal parks. I'm a Disney girl, though, and prefer the vibe of Disney.

We’ve gone numerous times over the past 20 years. We used to be able to spend less but now if you can manage to spend $1,000-$1,500 per person for the week you are doing well! It also sounds like you paid it off for the most part. Enjoy!
PS my DS wanted a wand and it was $55 so we opted not to buy one. I did find him one for Xmas on Amazon and it was an authentic one but was less than $20. BTW he was 24 at the time. You may want to budget for one.

I think you're doing pretty good, it's just that 6 people adds up! And your hotels are way nicer than Pop too. Your food budget seems a bit high but better high than low! I will say that we found some of the table service at Universal to be cheaper than the quick service especially if your grandkids are still eating kids meals so you might want to check put some if their menus.

Chiming in on the worth of wands...

Personally, I would rather pay the $50 each for a wand at Universal, and cut back somewhere else than forego a wand.

Maybe it's because my kid is a die-hard Harry Potter fan, but the ability to do 'magic' in the windows was equal to (or greater than) any of the rides in terms of enjoyment. Moreover, my kid really, really wanted to have the "wand choose him," so we went to the wand ceremony 6 times before he was finally picked. So, $100 for two wands (because my other kid likes HP, even if he's not Mr. Superfan) was a known, budgeted expense.

Wands at Universal are not just toys or souvenirs. I'm actually extremely thrifty (my husband would say cheap) when it comes to buying stuff in the parks, and I usually get things at a discount prior to the trip and bring them with us (got my kids t-shirts for Universal themed areas like Jurassic World, Minions, and Harry Potter for about $3-5 each and they wore one each day). But the ability to interact with the Wizarding World exhibits is so integral to the park experience that I feel like it would be a tease to take my kids there and not let them have a wand (YMMV, and some kids may not care so much, but for my HP fans, the wands are really important).

I think people think Universal is more expensive than Disney because they are not comparing the price of a 3 day Disney vacation with the 3 day Universal one, as the daily cost for a Disney ticket goes down with more days.

To me the theming of the lands at IOA is better than many areas at Disney, and Volcano Bay is a great waterpark. I like both UO and Disney, but will be renewing my Universal AP but not my Disney one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter