My side of the Gay Day Story 2008

My husband and I were at WDW in June 2007 during Gay Days...We did not witness anything unusual..just people wearing red tee-shirts...I don't see what the big deal is..We realized that there was many same-sex couples but none were any more affectionate than opposite-sex couples..We talked to many same-sex couples in line and they were very friendly...Why would someone let this ruin their vacation?

Has anyone tried their sugar free sodas?

I have not -- have you?

Along with all the interesting flavors, one of the things that I really like about "regular" Jones Soda is they use cane sugar as the sweetener. I'm lucky enough to live in a border state so I can get Mexican Coca-cola (also sweetened with sugar) in glass bottles (This makes soda taste better too. I'm enough of a chemist that I REALLY don't wanna think too long and hard about why that is :scared:) when I feel like a soda-splurge. Mucho mas yummier! :goodvibes

:grouphug: to all that have to live with hate...................myself, I am a clueless wonder as far as who is holding hands w/ who & what color they are............(I honestly didn't even realize what ethnic heritage Condoleezza Rice was upon her entrance on the scene......:confused3 (told ya clueless).............& in line w/ this cluelessness..........upon reading DVCajun's post about Rush............well you guessed it............my thoughts are of the Band..........:lmao: my DH loves Rush (the Band)--so I immediately go to their website, look up their lyrics & then 'duh' I figure out the 'other' Rush.............just thought I give ya all a laugh this morning :rotfl:

:sick:
I am SO Trick-or-treating in your neighborhood. YUM -- Jones Soda!!!:goodvibes

They have really cute little ones in Halloween flavors too! The only part that I have issue with is the fact that they are the official soda of the Seattle Seahawks.:mad: (I know it always comes back to football.....:rolleyes: )

Their root beer is fantastic, and I do not like root beer!

Every year (in my family) we get the Christmas and Hanukah flavors and dare each other to drink them. I know really mature for a bunch of 30 year olds. They can be really gross…..antacid flavor, pea, turkey and gravy. :sick:

I be the ghost in the 800 count, 100% egyptian cotton, aubergine sheets.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Don (and everybody), I am so sorry that you had to experience that! It really makes me sad to see so many miserable people intent on trying to make other peoples lives miserable.

I wish June wasnt such a terrible time for me to go on vacation! I would love to go and get some good use out of my Christian, not close minded, Straight, not narrow, and Marriage equals heart plus heart t-shirts. Maybe some day!

Greetings All,

Having read the post and the first 13 pages to this post about the family at gay days in Florida I want to say to all that in a modified way this type of thing really does happen. I am choosing to post this on this board due to the fact the audience will keep this in the context it happened in It happened to me 10/05/2008 at California Adventure during Gay Days 2008

If you take out all of the drama in the OP it is what happened to me. Guest sees gay people, guest panics, guest leaves parks dragging kid out of Disney blaming Disney for allowing it to happen.

We were standing at the entrance of the Grisly River Run with some of my friends. We were wearing our red shirts and waiting for others to join us. As we were waiting and others joined us there was hugging, a few pecks on the cheek between men, but nothing inappropriate. As we were there waiting for our friends several children ran past us and into the ride. Shortly thereafter a woman (lets assume it was Mom) came up the path with a stroller with an infant in her arms. She was clearly uncomfortable by our presence. Several others joined us and departed for the ride. Since I did not want to walk the parks in wet shoes I chose to stand by the entrance/exit and wait for my friends.

At this point it is just me and Mom. She is standing away form me in the middle of the walkway as I am now on the only bench in the area. She gives me looks that I have not seen since a playground back in the day. Clearly she wanted to say something to me, but held it in. At this point my cell phone rang. In order to get a better signal I stood up and moved into the walkway. It took a few seconds for me to realize that because I stepped behind her she has spun around to keep an eye on me. She is clutching her child much tighter then before. Thinking I was just being way too critical of the situation I stepped to the right further to see if she would again adjust her position. Needless to say once I realized what she was doing I was shocked with disbelief. Not sure what she thought I would do, and I do not want to even image what was going on in her head.

Shortly her children came off the ride laughing and shouting to her “We are going to go again”. The kids clearly were having a great time and wanted to go back into line immediately. The mother spoke to her children in a tone only a Mother can when she is pissed and sad “We are leaving, I can’t believe they let these people in here”. The kids ask why they had to leave and the Mother grabbed one by the arm and drug her down the path towards the exit with the others following. As they got further down the path the kids were crying and trying to figure what they had done wrong to make them leave the park. They did not understand why they had to leave.

This was just 2 weeks ago!

I’m sure she will tell the story very differently to her friends and will embellish the story to make it more dramatic, but it did happen, and it was amazing that what appeared to be a Southern California local could be so intolerant and flustered. Now that I take a deep breath and think back to this incident I am glad that she left the park and I was the only one who had to deal with her hatred.

Thanks for giving me a safe place to tell my side of the issue to a group of open mined people. Wish us luck in November on defeating proposition 8. Hopefully it will be voted down.

Don

I'm very sorry that happened to you. There are so many ignorant people in this world.

Lucky for me, I've avoided most of the idiots who go. One year a man stopped my female roomie (who was straight, but wearing a red shirt) and in a solemn voice said, "You people make me sick!". My roomie replied with "I'm sorry to hear that, but we straight people should be allowed to be here too!" :lmao:

You know....one of the best WDW experiences I have had occurred back in Oct, '06...the 25th to be exact. It was my dd's 13th birthday breakfast at Crystal Palace. Those of you familier with the venue know how closely together some of the tables are. Well, we were seated at a table for four...myself, dd, her friend (from childbirth class, also celebrating her 13th) and friend's mother. Next to us were two gentlemen, by themselves. Now, they were practically seated at our table..or, it could have been we were seated at their table!!! Anyway, they were taking photos of each other..so I asked if they would like a shot together. They were thrilled, so I got a few of them together, and then took one or two for myself..yes, they are in our family scrapbook!! I asked if they were celebrating something. Yes, they were celebrating their 'anniversary'...can't remember which one, but it was of many, many years, as well as one birthday. We had some terrific convervation with them. They were hysterical!! My dd and I had a ball. Well....they left before we did, we said our goodbye's, and had a hug or two.
The other birthday girl asked me why I was talking to strangers. I told her that strangers were just friends we hadn't met yet, and that they were really nice guys. Her response? 'Yeah, well... I'm pretty sure they were gay. I don't think you should have been so friendly.' Her mother just told her that they did seem to be nice but did nothing to correct her child.
How very sad. My dd and I had a ball talking to the two guys. They were so much in love and so obviously happy to be there, and to have others to talk to.

Man...it amazes me to see how much ignorance there is out there. I keep trying to get to WDW for Gay Days, but it just never seems to work out for me. Yes, I'm sure there is some over the top behaviour happening. But, I"ve seen over the top behaviour from straight guests...some of it pretty horrendous! My dd, now 15, got her 'gay education' while at WDW!! How cool is that!? She had just turned 10. We were at AllStar Music, trying to find some good times after my mother passed away. My dd got sick, we went back to our room. She lay there on the bed, reading a teen magazine. She looked up and asked me what 'gay' means. I asked her how it was used. She said that she just didn't see 'happy' being the right context. So....I explained to her. I do a ton of theater, I have a gay brother and a lesbian step-sister...so it was really past time for dd to get the facts. She took it all in, said 'Oh, cool.' and went back to reading.

I will never figure out why knowledge is a bad thing. Oh well...you do what you can do. All I ask is that you guys (and gals!!)behave in a responsible manner during Gay Days. Yes, there will always be those who feel obligated to really act out, and that's really too bad. It tends to paint everyone with the same brush so to speak. And from what I understand, there are a ton of gay families in WDW, just trying to enjoy the parks, with other, like-minded parents. What's so inherently evil about that?? So, to those of you who have had nasty experiences, due to ignorance or just plain hate....:hug: ! Know that not all heterosexual people out there feel that way!!!!

Lucky for me, I've avoided most of the idiots who go. One year a man stopped my female roomie (who was straight, but wearing a red shirt) and in a solemn voice said, "You people make me sick!". My roomie replied with "I'm sorry to hear that, but we straight people should be allowed to be here too!" :lmao:

ROFL :rotfl2: (see?) Your friend rocks.

You know....one of the best WDW experiences I have had occurred back in Oct, '06...the 25th to be exact. It was my dd's 13th birthday breakfast at Crystal Palace. Those of you familier with the venue know how closely together some of the tables are. Well, we were seated at a table for four...myself, dd, her friend (from childbirth class, also celebrating her 13th) and friend's mother. Next to us were two gentlemen, by themselves. Now, they were practically seated at our table..or, it could have been we were seated at their table!!! Anyway, they were taking photos of each other..so I asked if they would like a shot together. They were thrilled, so I got a few of them together, and then took one or two for myself..yes, they are in our family scrapbook!! I asked if they were celebrating something. Yes, they were celebrating their 'anniversary'...can't remember which one, but it was of many, many years, as well as one birthday. We had some terrific convervation with them. They were hysterical!! My dd and I had a ball. Well....they left before we did, we said our goodbye's, and had a hug or two.
The other birthday girl asked me why I was talking to strangers. I told her that strangers were just friends we hadn't met yet, and that they were really nice guys. Her response? 'Yeah, well... I'm pretty sure they were gay. I don't think you should have been so friendly.' Her mother just told her that they did seem to be nice but did nothing to correct her child.
How very sad. My dd and I had a ball talking to the two guys. They were so much in love and so obviously happy to be there, and to have others to talk to.

Man...it amazes me to see how much ignorance there is out there. I keep trying to get to WDW for Gay Days, but it just never seems to work out for me. Yes, I'm sure there is some over the top behaviour happening. But, I"ve seen over the top behaviour from straight guests...some of it pretty horrendous! My dd, now 15, got her 'gay education' while at WDW!! How cool is that!? She had just turned 10. We were at AllStar Music, trying to find some good times after my mother passed away. My dd got sick, we went back to our room. She lay there on the bed, reading a teen magazine. She looked up and asked me what 'gay' means. I asked her how it was used. She said that she just didn't see 'happy' being the right context. So....I explained to her. I do a ton of theater, I have a gay brother and a lesbian step-sister...so it was really past time for dd to get the facts. She took it all in, said 'Oh, cool.' and went back to reading.

I will never figure out why knowledge is a bad thing. Oh well...you do what you can do. All I ask is that you guys (and gals!!)behave in a responsible manner during Gay Days. Yes, there will always be those who feel obligated to really act out, and that's really too bad. It tends to paint everyone with the same brush so to speak. And from what I understand, there are a ton of gay families in WDW, just trying to enjoy the parks, with other, like-minded parents. What's so inherently evil about that?? So, to those of you who have had nasty experiences, due to ignorance or just plain hate....:hug: ! Know that not all heterosexual people out there feel that way!!!!

I so hear what you're saying.

I'm really struggling right now. My wife and I are in the "coming out" process, and in the middle of election time, no less. My work place is less than accepting, to say the least, and I'm really having a hard time keeping a good attitude. I don't want to be one of the "bitter" ones. But I'm really having a tough time not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Having been an open minded, accepting person all of my life, it's hard to understand the people who are simply just not interested in seeing past the end of their nose.

But I definitely know what you're talking about when you request that we behave in a "responsible manner" during gay days. The media (and people in general), will always remember the flamboyant, the "in-your-face" moments, and overlook the two awesome guys they met at Crystal Palace. The wife and I are considerate of the families around us when we're in public -- we behave affectionately, but not sexually. If you know what I mean.

I am the only democrat in my work place. It's a relatively small work-place -- about 20 of us. But seriously-- I'm the only one voting for Obama. I'm seriously feeling like the only Democrat in my city just now. :sick:

Sad tears. :guilty:

I am the only democrat in my work place. It's a relatively small work-place -- about 20 of us. But seriously-- I'm the only one voting for Obama. I'm seriously feeling like the only Democrat in my city just now. :sick:

:grouphug: for you, DVCajun. It DOES seem to be a particularly mean last two weeks. I am SO looking forward to getting past it so I can go back to talking to the guy at the feedstore about the price of alfalfa instead of constitutional law.

This is such a coincidence :eek: -
Cause I too met this nice family from the mid west at the Crystal Palace -
we had a geat time chatting:hyper2: bonding - such camaraderie:lovestruc
till alas - it was time to part ways - hugs all around:grouphug: -
promises to keep in-touch - and I lifted the dad's wallet.
Only about $60 damn bucks inside. :sad2:
Stupid Family! :mad:

ththlildevil1xo0qe.gif

I can't believe that parents would force their kids to skip such a cool house! When my brother's kids were young, every kid in the neighborhood loved trick or treating at the house where a gay couple lived because they always handed out live goldfish. Granted, the fish never lived for than a few weeks but the kids always got such a kick out of 'em.

DH and I were at Halloween Horror Nights last night and the hetro tonsil licking and crotch grabbing was so far beyond anything I've ever seen at Gay Days that I just shooked my head and attributed it to the free-flowing alcohol. I swear one day a couple at HHN is gonna do the nasty right there on the sidewalk. Yet Gay Days, were I see at most some hand-holding and type of kissing you'd see between any loving couple, has a reputation of causing bigots and their children to vaporize just at the sight. Sigh!

Oh well, they can just stay at home. DH and I will be there for sure...I'm hoping to see the guy with his photogenic Ru Paul doll again next year!

I couldn't care less if someone is gay or not, I wouldn't think to ask or care if I knew. That having been said I don't understand one thing: This whole thread seems to be about leave us alone to live our lives and don't judge so here is the thing I don't understsand why is there a time called Gay Days and everyone wears Red. Isn't that doing the very thing you're asking not to be done? Calling attention to gays as a group rather than just individuals. I could be wrong but thats just the way that I took it.

I so hear what you're saying.

I'm really struggling right now. My wife and I are in the "coming out" process, and in the middle of election time, no less. My work place is less than accepting, to say the least, and I'm really having a hard time keeping a good attitude. I don't want to be one of the "bitter" ones. But I'm really having a tough time not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Having been an open minded, accepting person all of my life, it's hard to understand the people who are simply just not interested in seeing past the end of their nose.

But I definitely know what you're talking about when you request that we behave in a "responsible manner" during gay days. The media (and people in general), will always remember the flamboyant, the "in-your-face" moments, and overlook the two awesome guys they met at Crystal Palace. The wife and I are considerate of the families around us when we're in public -- we behave affectionately, but not sexually. If you know what I mean.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all that. Man, I would think being the only democrat would be the biggest issue!!! Man, you can win for losing.
I have to say...I have seen much worse stuff going on with the 'straight' folk!!! Not sure why it's okay for them to behave the way they do out in public but it's not okay for you to hold hands or give a peck on the cheek!!! Hopefully, one day we will look back and say..'Man, those were some kind of awful days. Glad we got through 'em and everyone is looked upon equaly now!!' My mouth to God's ears!!!! :hug:

I couldn't care less if someone is gay or not, I wouldn't think to ask or care if I knew. That having been said I don't understand one thing: This whole thread seems to be about leave us alone to live our lives and don't judge so here is the thing I don't understsand why is there a time called Gay Days and everyone wears Red. Isn't that doing the very thing you're asking not to be done? Calling attention to gays as a group rather than just individuals. I could be wrong but thats just the way that I took it.

What I am getting from your post is that in order to have the majority accept us we must assimilate into something that reflects them. We don’t feel the need to change to be excepted. As for gay days it is just an event that a bunch of people put together so that they could enjoy Disney together and not feel like the odd ones out. We feel that way everyday .

I reread the thread and I don’t see where we say leave us alone?

No it doesn't say leave us alone in those exact words but I thought the point trying to get across was we're just like everyone else so why single us out as a group. My post certainly did not say you must assimulate into something that reflects other people in order to be accepted it basically says the opposite why would you feel the need to wear one color, thereby grouping yourselves into a "gay group" rather than being yourselves and wearing what you would normally wear for a day in the park. We go to disney to have a great vacation, I wouldn't plan my time around it being hetro day, or gay day, or fat day, or blonde day etc... I plan it around what works for my family. If you don't care that your gay and you don't want other people to care if your gay, which I would hope most people don't, then why single that one characteristic of yourself out?

No it doesn't say leave us alone in those exact words but I thought the point trying to get across was we're just like everyone else so why single us out as a group. My post certainly did not say you must assimulate into something that reflects other people in order to be accepted it basically says the opposite why would you feel the need to wear one color, thereby grouping yourselves into a "gay group" rather than being yourselves and wearing what you would normally wear for a day in the park. We go to disney to have a great vacation, I wouldn't plan my time around it being hetro day, or gay day, or fat day, or blonde day etc... I plan it around what works for my family. If you don't care that your gay and you don't want other people to care if your gay, which I would hope most people don't, then why single that one characteristic of yourself out?

People do it all the time. We like to be with people that in someway are similar to us. That’s why now you have cruises for cooks, or cruises for singles, adult cruises, DISNEY cruises! Family groups wear t-shirts to the parks all the time stating their family reunion. Go to a NFL game they all have their jerseys showing who they support. What I am saying is that on some level we all do it.

I think the idea (and someone correct me if I am wrong) of wearing red originated because it was not the huge event it is today. By wearing red they could more precisely see who else came to hang out at Disney.

I plan my vacations in several ways. My upcoming trip is with family and we booked that time because that’s when my sister can get of work. I also will book specifically to go on certain vacation (like Olivia…lesbian vacations) so that I can be in an environment that I am in the majority. It is an incredible feeling to be as free as you want. There is no need to think about what people are going to say if you hold your girlfriends hand . There is no need to censor yourself when talking to others. There is no worry that you might get verbally or physically harmed in some way because of who you are and who you are with. There is no weird awkwardness about checking in with one bed. The list can really go on and on. For heterosexual people they feel this everyday. I never knew what the other foot felt like until I went on a gay cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter