New law, parents/kids sitting together

We will have to disagree. The airlines get away with this type of behaviour because too many people choose to accept this treatment rather than protest. If all families refused to comply, there would be change. That is how change is affected. It's a discriminatory practice.

Why would I protest, I have no problem paying more for a seat I want.

Seat assignment should be included in the price of the seat, done time the seat is purchased. Not doing so lets the airline over book the flight. People in the same reservation should be seated together or in smaller groups.

Exactly this. If a group of airline tickets are purchased together then that group should be assigned seats together no matter if there is children or not.

Exactly this. If a group of airline tickets are purchased together then that group should be assigned seats together no matter if there is children or not.

Jevs, I agree - that has always been my experience in Australia. My family was caught out with this in the USA because they made their reservation through an agent who may not have known, or at least, did not inform them. This is going back 12-odd years ago, mind you.

Domestic or international, I've never had that situation with Qantas or Singapore Airlines, with whom I usually fly. I will be reading fare fine print when I travel by air with my own kids (domestic we usually drive - more fun!).

Only way to assure your kids will be seated next to you without charge is a no brainer. Hand your child a bag of doritos and tell the lucky guest seating next to him/her to enjoy their flight. Just kidding!! We have always factored in the cost of seats when planning a trip, I for one hate the very back of the plane and the one time we didn't pay we were in the second to last row. What a pain when getting off. I'm sorry but I don't find the airline responsible for putting our group together, if its a must pay the price.

Only way to assure your kids will be seated next to you without charge is a no brainer. Hand your child a bag of doritos and tell the lucky guest seating next to him/her to enjoy their flight. Just kidding!! We have always factored in the cost of seats when planning a trip, I for one hate the very back of the plane and the one time we didn't pay we were in the second to last row. What a pain when getting off. I'm sorry but I don't find the airline responsible for putting our group together, if its a must pay the price.
Well, is the kid going to share? If so, he's welcome to sit with me. lol

That is ok, I get it in your culture you feel you should be taken care of by someone else. That isn't how this American feels. If I want to ensure I sit next to my kids that is my responsibility not the airlines, or the government or anyone elses.

I absolutely agree. I think that safety nets should not include the right to have me pay for someone else's kids to sit together when there were plenty of avenues in place to have ensured that without my subsidizing the cost.

I think it is weird, to be honest. The notion that businesses owe people a special discount, if you will, because of personal choices that they made is something I just do not understand. When I purchase tickets to a show, I always make sure I have seats that will give the children in my group the best view possible. I pay the upcharge for better seating choices. The theater is not responsible for ensuring we have what we want for the same cost as if we choose the nosebleed seats. When I travel to Disney if I have the kids, I choose Deluxe accommodations. We need the space so I save and I make the decision to pay for that. I do not expect Disney to give me a reduced rate, especially if I waited so ling that I cannot book CBR or POR.

The thing is, I don't think only parents and their kids need looking after. A person who is stressed out by flying is just as deserving of a seat next to their traveling companion as anyone else. As is an elderly person, or someone with a disability. Anyone can choose to buy seats (on the airlines that offer that service). Parents can choose to buy them as well as anyone else.

I'm not sure how schools work in your country, but here it is fairly common to have very small children ride buses to schools without their parents every day. So sitting a few rows away on the same aircraft as their parents is really not that big of a deal.

You may think it great if all seats were automatically assigned. Fine. But be aware in that you will be paying the same, if not more, for those tickets than if you had simply paid for seat assignments. The airlines will not simply absorb that cost, no way.

Born and Raised USA and I see that comparison as vastly different. A 5 yr old getting on a bus full of other children that are monitored by a licensed adult for them to be transported usually less than 30 minutes to a school (at least in my state of MA bus rides over 45 minutes are frowned upon by the state and not usually allowed except in extreme circumstances of regionalization) where they will be accounted for is NOT IN ANY WAY the same thing as getting on an aircraft full of inconsiderate, self centered ME ME ME adults who won't budge their favorite aisle seat so that 5 year old can sit with a mother or father etc. This type of thinking is why the government ends up passing laws to make people behave as decent human beings. It's "be a decent person 101" to just move and let a kid sit with their parents. The law isn't trying to make people pay more or less than what the airlines already have in place, just making it law that the airlines can't lie about the seats available. It's more for the jerk flying southwest who already paid for the cheapest seat possible and feels entitled to act like he's in first class somewhere, and warning families what the airline policy is when they purchase.

Last edited:
Born and Raised USA and I see that comparison as vastly different. A 5 yr old getting on a bus full of other children that are monitored by a licensed adult for them to be transported usually less than 30 minutes to a school (at least in my state of MA bus rides over 45 minutes are frowned upon by the state and not usually allowed except in extreme circumstances of regionalization) where they will be accounted for is NOT IN ANY WAY the same thing as getting on an aircraft full of inconsiderate, self centered ME ME ME adults who won't budge their favorite aisle seat so that 5 year old can sit with a mother or father etc. This type of thinking is why the government ends up passing laws to make people behave as decent human beings. It's "be a decent person 101" to just move and let a kid sit with their parents. The law isn't trying to address prices of seat assignments or making airlines assign seats. It's more for the jerk flying southwest who already paid for the cheapest seat possible and feels entitled to act like he's in first class somewhere.

I never pay a premium for early boarding on Southwest, but I make it my business to be checking in at exactly 24 hours prior to take off, and I have never ever seen an issue where there are not enough open seats so a family could sit together. I bring children with me and our group is never apart. I have been treated to a scene where an "inconsiderate jerk" had been literally the last number on a fully booked plane and then went on a rampage because he did not like the last opened seat. He then threatened to deplane...no can do buckaroo...until someone offered to let him sit in her seat. The FA had tried to explain that had he checked in earlier, like most of the rest of us, he would have had his choice of seats.

I believe that if something is important to you (in general you, not you personally) you will make it your business to make it happen. You can pay more, you can fly an airline that offers assigned seating, or you can be organized and check in early enough to reserve you spot. I will move for most people, but I do it because I want to. I do not feel I should be compelled because I make my plans to suit me, but someone who did not now need special accommodations.

If I have to pay to sit next to my 13 yo then you should pay to sit next to your 5 yo. Sure I could get the cheapest ticket possible and we could be seated apart but I wouldn't do that to my kid. I also pay for EB checkin on Southwest because I want us to sit together.

I absolutely agree. I think that safety nets should not include the right to have me pay for someone else's kids to sit together when there were plenty of avenues in place to have ensured that without my subsidizing the cost.

I think it is weird, to be honest. The notion that businesses owe people a special discount, if you will, because of personal choices that they made is something I just do not understand. When I purchase tickets to a show, I always make sure I have seats that will give the children in my group the best view possible. I pay the upcharge for better seating choices. The theater is not responsible for ensuring we have what we want for the same cost as if we choose the nosebleed seats. When I travel to Disney if I have the kids, I choose Deluxe accommodations. We need the space so I save and I make the decision to pay for that. I do not expect Disney to give me a reduced rate, especially if I waited so ling that I cannot book CBR or POR.
Now who is insulting another person's culture? Your replies illustrate my point about the differences between our countries. I will bow out now as I refuse to deal with insulting, unreasonable people.

The poster who mentioned up thread that parties who purchase tickets together should be seated together is spot on. My original point is that airlines use this as an opportunity to gouge all passenger is lost on you.

I never pay a premium for early boarding on Southwest, but I make it my business to be checking in at exactly 24 hours prior to take off, and I have never ever seen an issue where there are not enough open seats so a family could sit together. I bring children with me and our group is never apart. I have been treated to a scene where an "inconsiderate jerk" had been literally the last number on a fully booked plane and then went on a rampage because he did not like the last opened seat. He then threatened to deplane...no can do buckaroo...until someone offered to let him sit in her seat. The FA had tried to explain that had he checked in earlier, like most of the rest of us, he would have had his choice of seats.

I believe that if something is important to you (in general you, not you personally) you will make it your business to make it happen. You can pay more, you can fly an airline that offers assigned seating, or you can be organized and check in early enough to reserve you spot. I will move for most people, but I do it because I want to. I do not feel I should be compelled because I make my plans to suit me, but someone who did not now need special accommodations.

Oh I get what you are saying. But maybe you're the person who is mad that Southwest won't give you your peanuts either because they accommodated my daughter's allergy? I'm not trying to be rude I can't convey tone, I'm sincerely asking. Or maybe you are the family who is SUPER MAD that my family got to pre-board because we were traveling with an allergic toddler and autism spectrum teenager and between wiping down seats and installing the FAA approved child seat and dealing with separation anxiety if the teen wasn't allowed to go with us (as is policy only 1 person can go with the eligible pre-boader), which I had to note on our reservations and check in twice and speak to various staff members etc about because yes you can bet I do my planning to keep my family safe, get the special boarding pass, get the special allergy statement, tag the stroller, tag the car seat, identify the whole family ahead of time at the desk and at the gate and at the door to the plane.....we chose to fly Southwest not because of the price. American actually had cheaper prices in my area for our last vacation. But many airlines won't even address allergic or special needs so that is why we flew them. And, the staff were pretty accommodating. I don't "deserve" a vacation less than anyone and someone speculating as a bystander to my situation doesn't have the right to judge me. Man you should have seen the looks on the families with EBC standing at the front of A. Pissed off wouldn't even do it justice. I'm not sure we will fly Southwest again I am thinking to try JetBlue next time where I will get the even more seats. Someone else's situation may LOOK like lack of planning to you and that may not be the case. Hence, we go back to "be a decent person 101" So after all that, my two older kids move from our preboarded seats so a mom could sit with her daughter because she caught the beginning of B boarding. I guess I should've told her to buck up the EBC fee.

Oh I get what you are saying. But maybe you're the person who is mad that Southwest won't give you your peanuts either because they accommodated my daughter's allergy? I'm not trying to be rude I can't convey tone, I'm sincerely asking. Or maybe you are the family who is SUPER MAD that my family got to pre-board because we were traveling with an allergic toddler and autism spectrum teenager and between wiping down seats and installing the FAA approved child seat and dealing with separation anxiety if the teen wasn't allowed to go with us (as is policy only 1 person can go with the eligible pre-boader), which I had to note on our reservations and check in twice and speak to various staff members etc about because yes you can bet I do my planning to keep my family safe, get the special boarding pass, get the special allergy statement, tag the stroller, tag the car seat, identify the whole family ahead of time at the desk and at the gate and at the door to the plane.....we chose to fly Southwest not because of the price. American actually had cheaper prices in my area for our last vacation. But many airlines won't even address allergic or special needs so that is why we flew them. And, the staff were pretty accommodating. I don't "deserve" a vacation less than anyone and someone speculating as a bystander to my situation doesn't have the right to judge me. Man you should have seen the looks on the families with EBC standing at the front of A. Pissed off wouldn't even do it justice. I'm not sure we will fly Southwest again I am thinking to try JetBlue next time where I will get the even more seats. Someone else's situation may LOOK like lack of planning to you and that may not be the case. Hence, we go back to "be a decent person 101" So after all that, my two older kids move from our preboarded seats so a mom could sit with her daughter because she caught the beginning of B boarding. I guess I should've told her to buck up the EBC fee.

Nope, I am not that person. Allergies are not a choice. Take all the nuts off the plan and serve water and I will support you 100%. A whole cavalcade of cheers traveling with minimal adults? Take my seat, so your chaperones can keep close to all of them. If I board before you and you need help with seating...tell me....I will be sure to sit where it would be stinkin inconvenient for someone else, and then move when you board. And God Bless anyone who gave you trouble if you were accommodated because they were not approving. . So no, I have already said upthread that I think when possible parents should make their own arrangements. I do understand that is not always possible.

Now who is insulting another person's culture? Your replies illustrate my point about the differences between our countries. I will bow out now as I refuse to deal with insulting, unreasonable people.

The poster who mentioned up thread that parties who purchase tickets together should be seated together is spot on. My original point is that airlines use this as an opportunity to gouge all passenger is lost on you.

I have never mentioned your culture. You have brought it into the conversation.

In Canada the was a mandate by the Canadian Transport Agency on the books (a law already in place) from many years ago, when airline assigned seat to ensure children 12 and under were seated with parents for safety reasons (Seatbelts on during turbulence, air mask drop, and potty breaks, and help with food). The airlines BROKE the law when they started charging Extra for seat assignment for kids and parents that USED to be included in the Basic cheapest fare. They got away with it for years as the general public didn't know until a airline passenger advocate here pointed it out after parents protested and refused to pay. This law applied to US airline flights that fly out of a Canadian Airports as well.

If I have to pay to sit next to my 13 yo then you should pay to sit next to your 5 yo. Sure I could get the cheapest ticket possible and we could be seated apart but I wouldn't do that to my kid. I also pay for EB checkin on Southwest because I want us to sit together.

Well that's the problem. The airlines were purposely "graying out" "not showing" "not selling" adjoining seats with the same prices in order to force families to pay more. That's discrimination, not capitalism. So now they HAVE to sell you the adjoining seats OR tell you what the accommodation (or lack of) will be if you are buying tickets for yourself and children under 13. It's just another example of bad form by American companies and someone having to step in and make them act right. And yes, it serveskeeps the people who would just buy whatever ticket and expect people to move for their kid honest at the same time. win win.

Born and Raised USA and I see that comparison as vastly different. A 5 yr old getting on a bus full of other children that are monitored by a licensed adult for them to be transported usually less than 30 minutes to a school (at least in my state of MA bus rides over 45 minutes are frowned upon by the state and not usually allowed except in extreme circumstances of regionalization) where they will be accounted for is NOT IN ANY WAY the same thing as getting on an aircraft full of inconsiderate, self centered ME ME ME adults who won't budge their favorite aisle seat so that 5 year old can sit with a mother or father etc. This type of thinking is why the government ends up passing laws to make people behave as decent human beings. It's "be a decent person 101" to just move and let a kid sit with their parents. The law isn't trying to make people pay more or less than what the airlines already have in place, just making it law that the airlines can't lie about the seats available. It's more for the jerk flying southwest who already paid for the cheapest seat possible and feels entitled to act like he's in first class somewhere, and warning families what the airline policy is when they purchase.
You're right it is completely different. On a bus you have one adult who is responsible for driving the bus and monitoring the students who can range from 5 to 18 depending on how the busing is done. The parent is not seated a few rows or seats away from the child. On a plane you are not expecting the pilot to also monitor the passengers. You also have flight attendants who check on passengers and the parents can get up and check on the kids periodically. Check the statistics on the number of assaults on school buses compared to airplanes. What you are claiming is someone's favorite seat may be the seat they are comfortable because they may have to get up numerous times or stretch their leg because they have an issue with their joints or even they are claustrophobic and they need to not be penned in. You don't want people to judge your family because of allergies and autism but you are willing to judge other people who may have their own invisible disability that they don't want to have to disclose to a stranger.

In Canada the was a mandate by the Canadian Transport Agency on the books (a law already in place) from many years ago, when airline assigned seat to ensure children 12 and under were seated with parents for safety reasons (Seatbelts on during turbulence, air mask drop, and potty breaks, and help with food). The airlines BROKE the law when they started charging Extra for seat assignment for kids and parents that USED to be included in the Basic cheapest fare. They got away with it for years as the general public didn't know until a airline passenger advocate here pointed it out after parents protested and refused to pay. This law applied to US airline flights that fly out of a Canadian Airports as well.

you see I wonder when this changed in the USA. It could be we never had a law because we didn't used to need one. As people become worse to each other (and companies get greedier), we do. When I was a kid flying in the 80s, every time the flight attendants did the safety schpeel in the beginning of the flight they would say RIGHT BEFORE the "put your own mask on first part," that any child under 12 needed to be seated with an adult and if you needed assistance relocating your seats due to this regulation to let the flight attendant know. Like when they used to do the safety part before take off not mid air o_O When flight attendants came up to you and asked you to move, you did, you didn't stomp and pink a fit and try to compare your situation proving why you shouldn't be the one to concede. Now all they say is about the exit rows, that kids can't sit there. In my opinion a child under 13 sitting without a known to them adult, they should qualify as unaccompanied for safety reasons. In the event of an emergency (rare, I know, don't need statistics) or even turbulence kids can't keep calm and always remember what to do. Since having a family I've never traveled off peak due to school vacations. I can't remember the last time I was on a flight that didn't announce it was full and taking volunteers to stand by for future flights. So for people who don't experience that maybe they don't understand the need for this type of legislation.

You're right it is completely different. On a bus you have one adult who is responsible for driving the bus and monitoring the students who can range from 5 to 18 depending on how the busing is done. The parent is not seated a few rows or seats away from the child. On a plane you are not expecting the pilot to also monitor the passengers. You also have flight attendants who check on passengers and the parents can get up and check on the kids periodically. Check the statistics on the number of assaults on school buses compared to airplanes. What you are claiming is someone's favorite seat may be the seat they are comfortable because they may have to get up numerous times or stretch their leg because they have an issue with their joints or even they are claustrophobic and they need to not be penned in. You don't want people to judge your family because of allergies and autism but you are willing to judge other people who may have their own invisible disability that they don't want to have to disclose to a stranger.

I'm sincerely sorry you live in an area that does not provide bus monitors. I know a few areas that tried to do away with them but luckily more state legislation (as busing is usually state not federally mandated) comes down requiring more than 1 adult in addition to the driver on buses. Luckily, I have not lived in an area where the bus driver is solely responsible for the children. Nor a system that buses kindergartners with seniors. If I did I would move! JK Actually no we private school our kids LOL but our public systems aren't like that either. The person who has that issue with their favorite aisle seat being a medical need would surely have that noted on their ticket reservation just as any other disability would. Any wheelchair or walker needs, any mobility or anxiety issues all of that can be communicated to the airline attendants without public disclosure. Therefore the flight attendants know which individuals could possibly move and which cannot. I'm not worried my child will be assaulted on an airplane I have no idea where that came from? Nobody has to tell me why they can't move. The professional flight staff has the training and information necessary to make educated decisions about seating. The woman who was complaining about my family boarding didn't bother me, but she actually did upset the flight attendant who had to explain multiple times she was doing her job. I had my ducks in a row I wasn't insulted. It wasn't fair for the staff to be questioned like they were playing favorites or treating other passengers unfairly. On our flight home the poor woman who endured the complaints had to get another supervisor involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter