New law, parents/kids sitting together

I'm the OP, and I think you're missing my point.

I’ve flown with my three kids MANY times. And each time I book, I check if there are enough open seats for the kids to be sitting next to a parent. However, even though there are plenty of seats available, I have to pay upwards of $200 extra to ensure my kids are next to a parent. I think it stinks. If at booking there are enough seats to be able to keep my kids next to a parent, I think they should allow it w/o paying more.

It’s NOT safe for my kids to be near strangers, plus who would want the responsibility or bother of sitting next to a 2-7 year old who is not theirs? Not me!

So once again, I will pay the extra fees to ensure my kids are with ME or my DH. I just think it’s unfair.

And, I will say, that EVERY TIME I fly I see parents being separated from their kids and then the parents throw a FIT and the flight attendant has to BEG people to move seats. I think that’s utter BS, too. Clearly the parents know it’s going to be an issue but they don’t want to take the sure bet and pay for seats together. But it’s HIGHLY unfair to make another passenger who selected and paid for a specific seat to move. But it happens EVERY flight I’m on. And you can imagine how much worse it is when we fly to Orlando. It’s pretty much all families.

I agree with most of your post. I don't agree that parents should get free seats next to their kids. If everyone is charged for seats, no one should be exempt. You shouldn't get a $200 freebie just for being a parent. I'm not sure how parents getting something for free that others are charged foscould be
I'm sincerely sorry you live in an area that does not provide bus monitors. I know a few areas that tried to do away with them but luckily more state legislation (as busing is usually state not federally mandated) comes down requiring more than 1 adult in addition to the driver on buses. Luckily, I have not lived in an area where the bus driver is solely responsible for the children. Nor a system that buses kindergartners with seniors. If I did I would move! JK Actually no we private school our kids LOL but our public systems aren't like that either. The person who has that issue with their favorite aisle seat being a medical need would surely have that noted on their ticket reservation just as any other disability would. Any wheelchair or walker needs, any mobility or anxiety issues all of that can be communicated to the airline attendants without public disclosure. Therefore the flight attendants know which individuals could possibly move and which cannot. I'm not worried my child will be assaulted on an airplane I have no idea where that came from? Nobody has to tell me why they can't move. The professional flight staff has the training and information necessary to make educated decisions about seating. The woman who was complaining about my family boarding didn't bother me, but she actually did upset the flight attendant who had to explain multiple times she was doing her job. I had my ducks in a row I wasn't insulted. It wasn't fair for the staff to be questioned like they were playing favorites or treating other passengers unfairly. On our flight home the poor woman who endured the complaints had to get another supervisor involved.

I shouldn't have to share my personal business with an FA to satisfy some parental seat requirements.

No such thing as bus monitors here either. A child is much more supervised by an FA than they are by someone driving.

I'm sincerely sorry you live in an area that does not provide bus monitors. I know a few areas that tried to do away with them but luckily more state legislation (as busing is usually state not federally mandated) comes down requiring more than 1 adult in addition to the driver on buses. Luckily, I have not lived in an area where the bus driver is solely responsible for the children. Nor a system that buses kindergartners with seniors. If I did I would move! JK Actually no we private school our kids LOL but our public systems aren't like that either. The person who has that issue with their favorite aisle seat being a medical need would surely have that noted on their ticket reservation just as any other disability would. Any wheelchair or walker needs, any mobility or anxiety issues all of that can be communicated to the airline attendants without public disclosure. Therefore the flight attendants know which individuals could possibly move and which cannot. I'm not worried my child will be assaulted on an airplane I have no idea where that came from? Nobody has to tell me why they can't move. The professional flight staff has the training and information necessary to make educated decisions about seating. The woman who was complaining about my family boarding didn't bother me, but she actually did upset the flight attendant who had to explain multiple times she was doing her job. I had my ducks in a row I wasn't insulted. It wasn't fair for the staff to be questioned like they were playing favorites or treating other passengers unfairly. On our flight home the poor woman who endured the complaints had to get another supervisor involved.
Oh please. I actually live in a school district where there is no busing but that doesn't mean that all school districts do it the way mine does. I have friends in rural districts with one bus for k-12 and no monitor. If I have a medical or disability and I take care of accommodating myself because I don't want to explain it to a stranger why would there be a need to note it with anyone? I have taken care of it.

Well that's the problem. The airlines were purposely "graying out" "not showing" "not selling" adjoining seats with the same prices in order to force families to pay more. That's discrimination, not capitalism. So now they HAVE to sell you the adjoining seats OR tell you what the accommodation (or lack of) will be if you are buying tickets for yourself and children under 13. It's just another example of bad form by American companies and someone having to step in and make them act right. And yes, it serveskeeps the people who would just buy whatever ticket and expect people to move for their kid honest at the same time. win win.

Can you document that it was intentionally done?

in the 10 plus years I have been flying with children and the 30(did fly until I was in my teens) years I have been flying with others I have always sat with my group and a few times that was 12-16 people... We simply booked an airline that had assigned seats. I flew Southwest recently we checked in on time so we were high in the boarding order decided I will never fly again as I like my seat assignment period just not worth the headache. will never fly delta even though it has been cheaper many times as years ago they made a mess out of a flight of 10 people in every way imaginable --very long story-- did we sit together yes that was not the issue and they did change planes and times a few times... spent hours on the phone getting things straightened out and I will not go through that again... point is there are choices... choose an airline that meets your needs... Do not see a lot of the points in this thread every place charges for everything these days... want a cheese on your burger now it is called a deluxe burger and has more and costs a lot more, sprinkles on your ice cream hmm now it is a sundae.... and the list could go on forever... some of the airlines did nothing different... but they did save people do not care where they sit some money.... once walked into a chain place ordered a hamburger (do not like cheese on burgers) charged me for a cheeseburger remove cheese... on the receipt.. that is something that pissed me off because I paid for something I did not want.. and they gladly took it off but gave me no money back...

Okay. Perhaps it's cultural. I come from a country with significantly different values than the US. Different way of seeing the world. No harm in that. Good day.
This comment and some of your others are on the tone of "the way my country does it is right and the way U.S. does it is wrong"...let's not pit culture against culture here.

Being separated from your children is not always the parent's fault. We booked our tickets for November with our 3 kids sitting by either myself or DH. We were in 2 rows. We didn't choose to pay for the upgraded seats, so we were in the middle of the plane. They have changed our seats twice. I think it's because they changed the plane. Anyway, at one point, they had each of us sitting separately in a middle row. That's not okay. If I hadn't seen it and been able to switch it before we flew, I would have been pretty upset.

Airlines give no discount for children, even though discounts are standard at most places (movies, amusement parks, trains, buses, etc). If we book together and choose seats together, it's not unreasonable to expect to be seated together. I would think that should be the case for any party sitting together, no matter what their situation. If you wait until the last minute, or book without choosing a seat, I wouldn't expect people to move to accommodate you.
About a week and a half before our flight to Hawaii on 9/12/16 with Delta we found out that our last flight on 9/21/16 from MSP to KCI our seats were moved from 22A and 22B to 17A and 17B. We assume they did a plane change (we don't remember what plane it was listed as when we first booked over 3 months before that flight). However, they did keep us sitting together. I was actually on a separate reservation due to using reward miles but I'm assuming either their system or an actual person if that's how it was done saw that the SkyMiles number was the same on both reservations and that they were bought moments from each other.

I think if you were all on the same reservation together I think that would be pretty crappy for them to switch the seats all up unless it was completely and utterly out of their hands. Plane types do change but typically seating configurations such as 3 seats by 3 seats or 3 seats by 2 seats typically don't.

Seat assignment should be included in the price of the seat, done time the seat is purchased. Not doing so lets the airline over book the flight. People in the same reservation should be seated together or in smaller groups.
It's like a lot of things though..we chase cheaper options even at the expense of the better option. As people were looking to spend less on air travel budget airlines especially Spirit came around and said hey we'll let you pay for what you want and not have to pay for what you don't want. People who truly do not care about where they sit at can save some money on airlines that charge for seating assignment. Airlines also overbook regardless of the presence of seat assignment. The less people on board the less opportunity to gain money.

Only way to assure your kids will be seated next to you without charge is a no brainer. Hand your child a bag of doritos and tell the lucky guest seating next to him/her to enjoy their flight.
I only fly airlines that let me pick my seats, but I have had them move my kids away from me when trying to accommodate other passengers. When I find out, I take the diaper bag and pacifier up to the counter and say who do I pass my child off to? Or my 15 yr old with autism? Enjoy! I will enjoy my child free flight :)

I booked travel on Delta for July 2014 that included a fight from Minneapolis to Portland, Oregon. When I booked (about 7-8 months in advance), the seating chart was wide open and I selected four non-premium (i.e. no extra cost) seats together. Aboout 4 weeks before the trip, I received a notice from Delta that our flight times had changed. As it turned out, Delta had changed planes and our seats were reassigned. I found that DH, Myself and our 10 & 12 year old daughters were now scattered all over the plane. Delta has an online feature that lets you change seats, so I was able to move the 10 year old next to DH at the back of the plane, but the only other areas of the plane with 2 open seats together were in premium economy ($50 per person surcharge) and first class ($$$$). I called Delta and explained the situation and asked the agent to find 2 seats together for DD12 & I. The Delta agent explained that it was a nearly full flight and told me that the only way I could sit by my daughter was to upgrade to premium economy or first class. I told her that I was not going to pay $100 to upgrade the two of us when I had already booked and paid for seats together. I asked the agent to waive the fee and move DD12 and I to premium economy. The agent refused, so I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing. I hung up and had my DH call since he always has better luck with this stuff ... and the supervisor he spoke to put 2 of us in premium economy for no charge.

So, in the end, I guess it worked out and each of our children got to sit with a parent ... but that's the kind of situation that should not happen. It wasn't about me being cheap or not planning ... I booked early and selected seats together, only to be told that I had to pay extra to sit by my child.

I booked travel on Delta for July 2014 that included a fight from Minneapolis to Portland, Oregon. When I booked (about 7-8 months in advance), the seating chart was wide open and I selected four non-premium (i.e. no extra cost) seats together. Aboout 4 weeks before the trip, I received a notice from Delta that our flight times had changed. As it turned out, Delta had changed planes and our seats were reassigned. I found that DH, Myself and our 10 & 12 year old daughters were now scattered all over the plane. Delta has an online feature that lets you change seats, so I was able to move the 10 year old next to DH at the back of the plane, but the only other areas of the plane with 2 open seats together were in premium economy ($50 per person surcharge) and first class ($$$$). I called Delta and explained the situation and asked the agent to find 2 seats together for DD12 & I. The Delta agent explained that it was a nearly full flight and told me that the only way I could sit by my daughter was to upgrade to premium economy or first class. I told her that I was not going to pay $100 to upgrade the two of us when I had already booked and paid for seats together. I asked the agent to waive the fee and move DD12 and I to premium economy. The agent refused, so I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing. I hung up and had my DH call since he always has better luck with this stuff ... and the supervisor he spoke to put 2 of us in premium economy for no charge.

So, in the end, I guess it worked out and each of our children got to sit with a parent ... but that's the kind of situation that should not happen. It wasn't about me being cheap or not planning ... I booked early and selected seats together, only to be told that I had to pay extra to sit by my child.

Delta behaves that way with every change. Not just with seating changes. They moved out flight and the one that they chose for us lost an entire vacation day. No. My dd calked and was told we could change the flight but would be charged a change fee. Are you kidding???? I called. After explaining that I had booked the flight I wanted, the one that they offered. I wanted s nonstop flight that was not impacting our vacation as badly, and that there would be no change fee to rectify their error. They complied. Delta is my last choice now.

We will have to disagree. The airlines get away with this type of behaviour because too many people choose to accept this treatment rather than protest. If all families refused to comply, there would be change. That is how change is affected. It's a discriminatory practice.

These arguments are hilarious.

There are options folks! Pay for the options you want! 1) Pay for assigned seats if you want to sit with your family, friend, or whomever. or 2) Pay a lower fair for the airline to assign you to a random seat.

I fail to see any discrimination in the airlines options that are available to everyone. As the other poster suggested, if there are no more seats available to pick the seats you want, choose a different flight.

To those who disagree. I think people have forgotten that the "courtesy" of sitting with one's party used to be extended to all. Now it is extended to no one. Why? Because the airlines price gouge. That is the only reason. It's been accepted instead of fought. It's wrong. I'm speaking as an idealist I suppose. It's an opportunity for them to make money. There is no other reasonable explanation for it. If no one accepted it as a reasonable business practice, perhaps the ensuing mayhem would force airlines in another direction. Mass protest is how change comes about. I know that will never happen. What happens instead is what happens here. People turning on each other rather than saying that this practice is supremely unreasonable.

Oh, and it has NOTHING to do with the increased number of people flying where almost every flight is booked solid leaving airlines no empty seats to provide a "courtsey" of rearranging an entire flight to put one family together?

LOL. Times have change, that is all. Airlines are very accommodating when there are EMPTY seats to rearrange passengers. However, those options decrease as more people fly over the course of the past decade.

I recall when parents would not buy a child under 3 a seat to save money and the airlines would still rearrange you and allow you to bring the car seat on board and the child have their own seat when there were empty seats available. I fly frequently and empty seats are far and few in between.

A parent can not purchase one assigned seat for the adult and then cheaper unassigned seats for the children and expect that the airline is going to rearrange the passengers to accommodate the family. There are many adults who choose their assigned seats based on their own needs and disabilities are not always visible to others.

Oh, and it has NOTHING to do with the increased number of people flying where almost every flight is booked solid leaving airlines no empty seats to provide a "courtsey" of rearranging an entire flight to put one family together?

LOL. Times have change, that is all. Airlines are very accommodating when there are EMPTY seats to rearrange passengers. However, those options decrease as more people fly over the course of the past decade.

I recall when parents would not buy a child under 3 a seat to save money and the airlines would still rearrange you and allow you to bring the car seat on board and the child have their own seat when there were empty seats available. I fly frequently and empty seats are far and few in between.

A parent can not purchase one assigned seat for the adult and then cheaper unassigned seats for the children and expect that the airline is going to rearrange the passengers to accommodate the family. There are many adults who choose their assigned seats based on their own needs and disabilities are not always visible to others.

I agree. Travel by air is not a luxury any longer. I cannot remember the last time I flew when there were empty seats, so it really is up to people to be proactive to avoid issues. I know that some things cannot be helped, and I sympathize with those folks who need to regroup. I do think that when something matters you need to do what you need to do to be sure you have the accomodations you want. As I said, I pay extra on Delta for COmfort class so DH has more legroom. He has had clots and is tall, so every bit of space helps. On SOuthwest I have nto needed to pay for early bird, because he is not usually with us, but if he was, I would pay. My DD buys the extra seat to be sure that she is not embarrassed at the gate. SHe can bring one person with her, so if we have children with us, she takes one of them. And we always check in on the dot so we can choose our seats.

I find flying cheaper today than ten years ago. They have so many specials and budget airlines that after paying for seats our flights are still less. I find it funny that so many parents feel entitled because they are traveling with kids. No offense, but who cares. If you have to be seated next to one another pay the piper!!! What about the adults who want next to their spouse or a senior who may need help during the flight. Seats next to one another are just as important to them. We travel with four kids and have always grabbed "A" boarding(even staying up until 3:00 am to do so) or paid for seats as it is not the airlines responsibility its ours as parents.

[QUOTE="

I am glad this is become policy. The horror stories of children assaulted in-flight are harrowing.:guilty:[/QUOTE]

Granted I don't fly that often with children, but is sexual assault on planes really that rampant? I get wanting to sit with your child on a flight for many reasons, but sexual assault isn't one that crossed my mind. I'm surprised some people get up enough courage to leave the house.

The horror stories of children assaulted in-flight are harrowing.:guilty:
Sigh. This was an observation and an expression of sympathy for people who have had such an unfortunate experience, which, happily, is rare. That it is rare doesn't make it any less tragic.

If I were to say it is tragic that some lost their homes in earthquakes before legislation required earthquake-proof building methods, would you still say:
I'm surprised some people get up enough courage to leave the house.

As I have already clarified in a post subsequent to the above:
For the record, my biggest concern about being separated from my children on a plane is that they will be too timid to let other passengers know they need to get out to go to the restroom if the other passengers are sleeping - and the inconvenience to said passengers. I am the parent - I get to play Jill-in-the-box.

Born and Raised USA and I see that comparison as vastly different. A 5 yr old getting on a bus full of other children that are monitored by a licensed adult for them to be transported usually less than 30 minutes to a school (at least in my state of MA bus rides over 45 minutes are frowned upon by the state and not usually allowed except in extreme circumstances of regionalization) where they will be accounted for is NOT IN ANY WAY the same thing as getting on an aircraft full of inconsiderate, self centered ME ME ME adults who won't budge their favorite aisle seat so that 5 year old can sit with a mother or father etc. This type of thinking is why the government ends up passing laws to make people behave as decent human beings. It's "be a decent person 101" to just move and let a kid sit with their parents. The law isn't trying to make people pay more or less than what the airlines already have in place, just making it law that the airlines can't lie about the seats available. It's more for the jerk flying southwest who already paid for the cheapest seat possible and feels entitled to act like he's in first class somewhere, and warning families what the airline policy is when they purchase.

If I pay for EB on SW and a family does not and they get on and there are no seats together, I will not move for that family. I planned ahead and paid extra to make sure I got to pick the seat I wanted. I love that the adult who won't move for the parent and child is being selfish, entitled, and inconsiderate but the parent of the child that didn't plan ahead that expects people to move for them isn't being selfish/entitled/inconsiderate

[QUOTE="

I am glad this is become policy. The horror stories of children assaulted in-flight are harrowing.:guilty:

Granted I don't fly that often with children, but is sexual assault on planes really that rampant? I get wanting to sit with your child on a flight for many reasons, but sexual assault isn't one that crossed my mind. I'm surprised some people get up enough courage to leave the house.
I have a 17 y/o DGD who refuses to ride the city bus because her mother has her convinced she might get raped on the bus. I've lived in our city for nearly 60 years and in that time there has not been one instance of anyone having been raped on the bus. DGD is much more likely to be raped by her mother's boyfriend, her weird Uncle Dale, or that cute guy who sits behind her in Chemistry class than she is by anyone on the bus.

Last edited:
I find this whole thing very interesting.
Here, I think the rule is that a young child MUST be sat with a parent / carer. At no extra cost. Of course, if there are more adults / more children, you might not ALL be together and you would have to pay extra for that, but, I am surprised that people feel it is right that one adult and one small child should have to pay more to guarantee sitting together. It would cause more problems for the others on the plane were they sat separately. Who in the world wants to be sat next to someone else's 4yr old?! Why would anyone object to that being included?

I find this whole thing very interesting.
Here, I think the rule is that a young child MUST be sat with a parent / carer. At no extra cost. Of course, if there are more adults / more children, you might not ALL be together and you would have to pay extra for that, but, I am surprised that people feel it is right that one adult and one small child should have to pay more to guarantee sitting together. It would cause more problems for the others on the plane were they sat separately. Who in the world wants to be sat next to someone else's 4yr old?! Why would anyone object to that being included?

What people object to is a business absorbing the cost for designated seating. We all pay more if we want to secure a specific seat.

What people object to is a business absorbing the cost for designated seating. We all pay more if we want to secure a specific seat.
Yes, but here, if you don't want a specific seat, just that your young child is next to *one* of their parents / a known carer, that's included. If you want those seats to be specific (i.e., in a specific part of the plane / with extra leg room aisle / window etc) that's a different thing, and that's extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter