I know everything is extremely subject to change, but as of right now, is there any advantage to staying in a Disneyland resort hotel for getting into galaxies edge? And to the new ride when it opens?

We will be out there in late February and I’m trying to decide if I should splurge on a Disney hotel room or just stick with a cheaper option.

There isn't a direct advantage for Galaxy Edge by staying onsite, but, you can get on other rides that you want to ride the first hour (that are in Fantasyland/Tomorrowland), and have a really good time while people are waiting in SWGE line to be one of the people let in first. Maybe, like others have posted, you can get into a boarding group in the MM/EE hour.

They already do that in Florida. So I can’t imagine they’d let anyone ride more than once a day at DLR, based on the demand they have at DHS. They did let people book more than one BG on the first day in Florida but quickly shut that off by day two.

Small correction, it was not until Sunday after it opened that they really stopped people from riding twice. I was there at Disney World from Thursday-Saturday, each of those three days I was able to get two boarding groups (though they changed when you could get a second boarding group).

It probably is better they keep it limited to one per day though, even on opening day... though perchance someone loitering around midnight might get on again?

I have gone crazy, and have arranged to be at the opening for Disneyland ROTR as well, so I'll be able to compare the experience directly... at least I have some experience getting boarding groups.

I am going to guess that the BG Pass will also work for Park Hoppers in California Adventure.
I just hope they only up reservations at park opening time and not during Early Entry or when you scan through the gates.

ME
I agree. Disney wants this opening to be a success. They don’t want a bone crushing stampede of people all trying to enter the same park at the same time just to reserve their BG. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t want crowds spread out into both parks as much as possible for the day. I know they won’t let you book a park hopping BG at WDW, but it’s an entirely different animal out there.

I seriously hope they let you book a BG if you scan into either park, or visiting Disneyland for the foreseeable future is going to be unpleasant at rope drop!

We are planning a quick trip just after the New Year. Definitely want to experience Galaxy's Edge. We will be in Anaheim on Wednesday night (1/1) and flying back late Friday (1/3) night. We are staying at the Anaheim Marriott.

Our options are:
1. Go to DLR at rope drop (8:00 AM) on Thursday, even though there is Magic Morning\Extra Magic that day and have the whole day and night available to do Galaxy's Edge
2. Go to DLR at rope drop (8:00 AM) on Friday. There's no MM\EMH, but we would have to leave at around 6:00 PM to catch a 9:00 PM flight at John Wayne.

Leaning toward option 1, but not sure how much of an impact MM\EMH would have on that day.

Thoughts? TIA

Off topic merchandise thought...

Okay, after seeing this movie (twice now ha!) I’m dying to get my hands on a Leia and Rey legacy lightsaber. They definitely went out of their way to show those details and I’m ready to give Disney all my money!

Anyone heard rumor if these will end up at Dok’s at some point? It’d be nice to see the souvenirs get added to and changed over time so we constantly have new things to get!

We are planning a quick trip just after the New Year. Definitely want to experience Galaxy's Edge. We will be in Anaheim on Wednesday night (1/1) and flying back late Friday (1/3) night. We are staying at the Anaheim Marriott.

Our options are:
1. Go to DLR at rope drop (8:00 AM) on Thursday, even though there is Magic Morning\Extra Magic that day and have the whole day and night available to do Galaxy's Edge
2. Go to DLR at rope drop (8:00 AM) on Friday. There's no MM\EMH, but we would have to leave at around 6:00 PM to catch a 9:00 PM flight at John Wayne.

Leaning toward option 1, but not sure how much of an impact MM\EMH would have on that day.

Thoughts? TIA
Do you have a specific time of day that you want to see SWGE? Has to be morning? Has to be evening? Doesn't matter, just want to get in to spend as much time as possible? Option 1 sounds good because MM/EMH only allow people to line up for SWGE, not actually enter the land. Many people here have been spending their morning hours enjoying the shorter ride lines in the rest of the park before entering SWGE. Keep an eye on the app to see how the wait times look for MFSR in the next few days. That can be very informative for you about planning the best time to visit Batuu.

Will be in the parks first week of February. Coming with my son and my granddaughter. My son (huge Star Wars fan) is very much looking forward to making a light saber in Galaxy Edge. Question- Can you take this home on a plane?? Could we take it as a carry-on or is it packable for checked bag? Thanks!

My boyfriend and I each built a lightsaber in August and brought them on as one of our carry-ons. We had them in an overhead bin above us after making sure the other carry-ons would keep them level. There was actually a father and son who had one as well and we stored all 3 together.

It was too long for us to check it in our luggage though we didn't try to take it apart or anything for traveling.

Our options are:

Thoughts? TIA

I would go option one as I love Galaxy’s Edge at night. If you can, it’s worth seeing it both in day and night.

we put them in carry on wrapped in bubble wrap but DH and DS put the hilts in our luggage. This was Alaska Airlines at LAX. They didn't bat an eye.

I separated the hilt from the blade and put the hilt in my checked bag. The blade was too long to fit in the bag, even diagonally. So I carried it on in the padded case that came with the lightsaber. I was afraid the blade might be damaged by others putting their bags on top of it in the overhead bin, so I asked the flight attendant if there was space in the front closet for it, and she was happy to put it there. This was on both of my connecting flights home.

It was funny though, one flight attendant asked me if it was a fly rod in the case. When I told her it was a lightsaber blade she didn't say anything. I guessed she was a fishing fan but not a Star Wars fan.

Will be in the parks first week of February. Coming with my son and my granddaughter. My son (huge Star Wars fan) is very much looking forward to making a light saber in Galaxy Edge. Question- Can you take this home on a plane?? Could we take it as a carry-on or is it packable for checked bag? Thanks!
You could maybe detach the blade & be able to fit diagonally it in a checked bag, but it would need to be a very big bag. The blades are really long. And I would really hesitate unless you had a very sturdy hard suitcase as it could break. But, as the PP said, you can bring them on planes as your carry on.

When my son built his 1st lightsaber, we were in the very 1st building group on opening day of SWGE. I was so certain that we wouldn’t be able to carry it on, so I was determined to ship it back. The gift shop at GCH had already told me that they couldn’t ship it, so I’d have to do it from the park. We spent a good 45 minutes searching for the right shop in SWGE to ship from. There was only 1 shop in the land doing it &, with everything being so new, none of the cast members knew where. So, everyone kept directing us wrong. In the end, we were able to get it done. But, I was so annoyed with myself when on our flight home 2 people had lightsabers as carry on & had no issues.

Last time he built one, we did the carry on as well & it was no problem. It’s so much easier & less expensive that way.

I am taking my 15 year old SW fan for his first trip this summer. Can someone please clarify the differences in light sabers for me:

I know about the Savi's building experience. How does a lightsaber built there differ from any of the ones you can purchase inside Dok Ondar's inside the case? (The ones in the case are "handles" only but I assume if you purchase one you'll get a blade with it???)

We disconnected our lightsaber blade and put it the case sticking out of my son’s backpack. No one said anything and we were able to put it by our feet. I was so worried they were going to make me check it or pay a carry on fee and it was really no big deal.

I know they won’t let you book a park hopping BG at WDW, but it’s an entirely different animal out there.

Bingo. WDW/DHS has the physical space (and transportation staging areas) to handle extreme demand situations at one park. By comparison, DLR's critical success factors here will be: 1) having as many security stations and entry points as possible to get guests safely inside a park until boarding groups begin distribution electronically and 2) distributing crowds as courteously/comfortably as possible immediately thereafter.

Allowing ticket holders with park hopping capabilities to scan in at DCA and still obtain a Boarding Group doubles entry-points PLUS incentivizes purchase of a park hopping-enabled ticket.

Fingers crossed they see the value to the guest experience in terms of Safety and Courtesy and allow this.

I am taking my 15 year old SW fan for his first trip this summer. Can someone please clarify the differences in light sabers for me:

I know about the Savi's building experience. How does a lightsaber built there differ from any of the ones you can purchase inside Dok Ondar's inside the case? (The ones in the case are "handles" only but I assume if you purchase one you'll get a blade with it???)
The ones in Dok Ondar’s are prebuilt hilts that are replicas of the different characters’ sabers from the films. At Savi’s they build their own sabers. There are 4 different categories you can choose from to determine the overall style of the saber. Then there are 2 sets of parts per style. So, they choose the style they want before going into the experience & then they’re given a tray inside with 2 sets of parts to choose from when assembling.m & they get to pick the color of the blade. There’s also a theatrical component to building your own as the cast members put on a bit of a show.
And the ones at Savi’s cost $200.00, which I believe is more than any of those in Dok Ondar’s.

So, far my son, also 15, has built 2 & plans on doing a 3rd in a couple of weeks. He hasn’t shown any real interest in the ones at Doc Ondar’s yet. He seems to really enjoy the aspect of customizing his own. Which is why we also have like a dozen of those plastic sabers from DLR & WDW that he built over the years. Disney is kinda brilliant for upping the game on the quality & getting people to pay so much for the new ones.

Note that with the legacy sabers from Dok-Ondar's you will not be able to change the kyber crystals inside (and thus the color of the blade) and you will have to buy the blade separately (if you want to use it as a sword, rather than just display the hilt). In at least some cases, the price of the hilt + blade will be pretty close to the cost of building one at Savi's. One minor exception: for Kylo Ren's saber, the side blades are included, but the main blade would still have to be purchased separately.

My understanding is that if you want a lightsaber that looks just like those of one of the characters from the films or shows, the legacy sabers are great. If you want to build your own and really feel like you've earned a place as a Jedi, Savi's is the way to go.

Unless you specifically want a replica of a character’s saber, I’d go for the Savi’s option. It’s an experience/show that’s super fun if you’re a fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter