News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

There were several World Showcase Pavilions which almost made it to the construction phase. A detailed model of the Equatorial Africa Pavilion was put on display at one point and supposedly Alex Haley had recorded an introduction for the attraction. Never did hear why Disney pulled the plug for this one. Supposedly Disney had an agreement with a Japanese company (I'm thinking Fuji Film?) to sponsor a Mount Fuji roller coaster at the Japan Pavilion.

Disney was close to starting construction of the Asian Resort in the mid-1970's but he Arab oil embargo came along. There was information in that year's annual report to shareholders that construction was imminent.

Yeah, definitely a lot with World Showcase - they even had in the opening day brochure of EPCOT promotions for three new pavilions that would be coming soon - Equatorial Africa (as you mention) and also Spain and Israel. Money/lack of sponsor hurt those also political climate I believe impacted Israel

Yeah, definitely a lot with World Showcase - they even had in the opening day brochure of EPCOT promotions for three new pavilions that would be coming soon - Equatorial Africa (as you mention) and also Spain and Israel. Money/lack of sponsor hurt those also political climate I believe impacted Israel

Israel was rumored to be scotched by Morocco who said they would pull out.

There were several World Showcase Pavilions which almost made it to the construction phase. A detailed model of the Equatorial Africa Pavilion was put on display at one point and supposedly Alex Haley had recorded an introduction for the attraction. Never did hear why Disney pulled the plug for this one. Supposedly Disney had an agreement with a Japanese company (I'm thinking Fuji Film?) to sponsor a Mount Fuji roller coaster at the Japan Pavilion.

Disney was close to starting construction of the Asian Resort in the mid-1970's but he Arab oil embargo came along. There was information in that year's annual report to shareholders that construction was imminent.

The Asian Resort could not be built. When site prep was done on the area it was found unsuitable for large scale building given the budget and the site remains that way today. Whether it was mean to be built later in a different spot and was cancelled by the oil embargo I don't know. Mount Fuji was said to be scotched by Kodak, who was sponsoring the Imagination Pavilion. Kodak did not want the name Fuji, which was used by Fujifilm as the major competitor to Kodak at the time, in EPCOT while they were sponsoring the Imagination Pavilion.

This is a joke, right?

I wish...

I’m confused, what’s the hate? Is it just the “Guardians don’t belong in Epcot” thing? To me, the ride is coming whether we like it or not, might as well embrace it. A free dance party seems fine to me.

Reread the article before posting... I totally understand the hate. WHY would they put it in that location?!? Why not by Mission: Space? Or literally anywhere else in Future World over that theater?!

The Asian Resort could not be built. When site prep was done on the area it was found unsuitable for large scale building given the budget and the site remains that way today.

i thought the Asian Resort was going to go where the Grand Floridian currently is - it was the Venetian that was going to go between the TTC and the Contemporary that was scraped because the land was unstable (but I could be wrong)

I don't think the Incredibles belong in Tomorrowland, either... I also don't get the whole dance party thing, but apparently other people like them because they keep adding them.

i thought the Asian Resort was going to go where the Grand Floridian currently is - it was the Venetian that was going to go between the TTC and the Contemporary that was scraped because the land was unstable (but I could be wrong)
I think you are right on that. I think I got them confused. Good catch.

I’m confused, what’s the hate? Is it just the “Guardians don’t belong in Epcot” thing? To me, the ride is coming whether we like it or not, might as well embrace it. A free dance party seems fine to me.

Reread the article before posting... I totally understand the hate. WHY would they put it in that location?!? Why not by Mission: Space? Or literally anywhere else in Future World over that theater?!

I don't mind guardians in future world but I hate the fact that guardians will be in the American pavilion for this party.

I don't think the Incredibles belong in Tomorrowland, either... I also don't get the whole dance party thing, but apparently other people like them because they keep adding them.

My kids love the dance parties with the characters. One of my favorite memories from our first trip a few years ago was my 4 and 2 yo dancing with a very smooth Mr Incredible.

We were sad when it was gone last year and wish it was coming back in time for our March trip.

No way this could be worse than the "band" that normally butchers great songs in that location. How/where would they host this by Mission Space, btw?

If you're just walking around WS, won't you just hear the cool songs from those mix tapes? Will it really be that obtrusive?

I'm guessing they want it to feel more like a performance? Maybe they don't want to build a temporary stage over there? Seems pretty easy to avoid if people don't want to go to it. I like that Future World is pretty much dead in the evenings, so it's easier to get in some rides before Illuminations.

No way this could be worse than the "band" that normally butchers great songs in that location. How/where would they host this by Mission Space, btw?

If you're just walking around WS, won't you just hear the cool songs from those mix tapes? Will it really be that obtrusive?

The songs won’t necessarily be out of place but the characters are, in my opinion. It would make so much more sense if this was in FW. And true there’s no stage by MS but that doesn’t mean they can’t have a dance party in that area without a stage

Is that going to be a separate event or just like the little stage show like the do out in California Adventure with Star Lord and Gamora where they need everyone to dance along to keep the heat signatures up or something like that?
Probably like the DCA thing.

The songs won’t necessarily be out of place but the characters are, in my opinion. It would make so much more sense if this was in FW. And true there’s no stage by MS but that doesn’t mean they can’t have a dance party in that area without a stage
I get what you're saying, but what they normally have there is awful, IMO, and there's a built-in stage. I can completely understand using it for this purpose rather than erecting something elsewhere, even though the characters don't fit. It's not as though the American Pavilion has such an incredible and unique vibe to ruin. Honestly, we always walk right by it quickly, getting away from the butchering of Aerosmith songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter