News Round Up 2020

I don't know. I think Disney parks are really built on nostalgia. So many people bring their kids to Disney because they went to Disney or they grew up with Disney films and TV. Obviously the product itself changes over time and they can innovate but the stories are what's nostalgic. Also its often said Disney is reluctant to make big changes or remove something like Autopia/Speedway because so many kids experience that as a right of passage sort of thing and then those kids bring their kids when they become parents. I know for myself I loved Speedway as a kid and I certainly would want to experience that with my kids whenever I become a parent.

I am think that is something Disney parks need to balance that most other parks don't - keep enough the same for nostolgia and so people can re-experience things with their kids (and grand kids) but also keep the parks fresh and represent new entities that people of Today are into.

So anyone can pick specific things they could have kept or not - but for every person that wishes Maelstrom was still around I bet there are 2 or 3 that prefer having Frozen

One argument that can be made is that Disney doesn't always use their "blessing of size" with WDW (could argue they could have refurbed Great Movie Ride and then built Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway in expansion building - but sometimes it is best to replace things

I am think that is something Disney parks need to balance that most other parks don't - keep enough the same for nostolgia and so people can re-experience things with their kids (and grand kids) but also keep the parks fresh and represent new entities that people of Today are into.
I think most of the “big” older parks deal with this quite a bit. People dislike when their favorite attractions go away. Disney fans seem to long for Horizons the same way that Kings Dominion fans want Volcano back. Anytime a popular attraction closes at any park, there’s a big pushback from fans. The greater coaster community is just as nostalgic as the Disney one. Nobody likes when favorite things from their childhood go away. I mean it goes beyond parks too, look at the outcry from Hostess going out of business, or the launch of New Coke. People get upset and talk about it for years.

I think that what the PP was intending was to say that each generation develops their own nostalgia based on what their own experiences were. Given how many generations have experienced the attractions since the opening of WDW there is a wide variety of experiences.

How many times do you hear about reflections on the changes to Imagination or the removal of Horizons. Many of today’s fans never experienced either. I think Disney has done a pretty decent job along the way with a few exceptions balancing the old with the new. Examples include Main Street, Haunted Mansion, Dumbo, Pirates etc...

while I certainly embrace the nostalgia I am open to the new as I think it’s important to evolve so that future generations feel the same.

How many of us have showed our children or grandchild an experience that we thought was truly memorable and impactful only to have them shrug?

I think change is great as long as there is some attention payed to maintaining as much nostalgia as possible No matter how it is defined.

I don't know. I think Disney parks are really built on nostalgia. So many people bring their kids to Disney because they went to Disney or they grew up with Disney films and TV. Obviously the product itself changes over time and they can innovate but the stories are what's nostalgic. Also its often said Disney is reluctant to make big changes or remove something like Autopia/Speedway because so many kids experience that as a right of passage sort of thing and then those kids bring their kids when they become parents. I know for myself I loved Speedway as a kid and I certainly would want to experience that with my kids whenever I become a parent.
I just don't understand some of Disney's decisions really . .sometimes nostalgia reigns (in the case of leaving around (and refurbing/redoing the track) of an attraction that just doesn't fit anymore (in Tomorrowland Speedway). That attraction space could be totally utilized for something so much better.

And other times new stuff replaces the old that didn't feel like it needed replacing -- (like replacing the Great Movie Ride or replacing 20,000 leagues under the sea with the Little Mermaid.

Personally I like both. I like showing my kids Pirates of the Caribbean and while I miss them not seeing a classic attraction I remember, like the Great Movie Ride, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or seeing Mickey's house in Toontown faire, the replacements are just better attractions and will mean more to them (and to me as well since it is "new" to me).

Disney does a great job of making the parks feel new even if you go back repeatedly. But at the same time, there are some things that neeed to go.

A Hollywood studios about the "magic of movie making" was amazing to me in the late 80s. That wouldn't mean much to my son as everything is just digitially done now. But for me, back then, seeing all the practical effects was fun and educating (at least the first time, but being able to experience two of my favorite movies in Star Tours and Indiana Jones Stunt Spectactular made it my favorite park.

While I have nostalgia for those two attractions . .their time has passed. They can go any time now and won't be missed and will be replaced with things much better and frankly I am surprised they haven't yet.

Rumor

Pretty sure I didn't see this posted yet ... ABC News correspondent and Star Wars Fan hinting that the Star Wars Project Luminous details will drop on 2/24

The latest rumor is that the project will be a series of books, comics, and possibly TV that will set the up the Star Wars universe status quo post Ep 9 ... the time frame seems to be the big question floating around. Based on what I've read in the Star Wars comic, I agree with some others that it will be sort of a 'Deep Space Nine' Outer Rim space station saga taking place during the Old/High Republic

Last edited:
With the nostalgia question, what I mean is that Walt did intentionally set up parts of the park to invoke nostalgia, but that wasn't the point of the parks in and of themselves. EPCOT, for instance, didn't have anything to do with trying to invoke nostalgia (even with Walt's plan for it), what happened was it morphed into that because of people's experiences there when young (that's me lol).

I think Disney has actually done a fairly decent job balancing nostalgia and innovation, sometimes they waiver back and forth between those things in a way that lacks direction, sure. Disney's a big ship and it takes a long while to turn it.

What is it with the focus lately on young adult novels for Star wars? I miss the novels being aimed at adults. This may come as a shock to Disney, but when I was young I read the adult Star wars novels.

But at times it can be hard for adults to read books aimed at the younger crowd because they can be simplified. This isn't always the case, there are some amazing young adult books out there.

I would love an ahsoka book aimed at adults. The one out there for young adults really fell flat for me.

What is it with the focus lately on young adult novels for Star wars? I miss the novels being aimed at adults. This may come as a shock to Disney, but when I was young I read the adult Star wars novels.

But at times it can be hard for adults to read books aimed at the younger crowd because they can be simplified. This isn't always the case, there are some amazing young adult books out there.

I would love an ahsoka book aimed at adults. The one out there for young adults really fell flat for me.

I think there is a difference in stuff really aimed and younger kids vs some that are aimed at teens and stuff that are fully mature books and stuff just also will avoid any content that perhaps is best teens (tweens) don't read

So I think an Ahsoka book that is fully formed and like a really solid "teen" book could be fine - but definitely would want to avoid something that is really "junior"

I think most of the “big” older parks deal with this quite a bit. People dislike when their favorite attractions go away. Disney fans seem to long for Horizons the same way that Kings Dominion fans want Volcano back. Anytime a popular attraction closes at any park, there’s a big pushback from fans. The greater coaster community is just as nostalgic as the Disney one. Nobody likes when favorite things from their childhood go away. I mean it goes beyond parks too, look at the outcry from Hostess going out of business, or the launch of New Coke. People get upset and talk about it for years.

'The Hat' at DHS. After all the teeth gnashing about the then impending removal I don't think I've heard it mentioned since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter