News Round Up 2020

I think the vanicorn discussion is moot if she really does have a document from the Onward producer saying that they used her design and didn't pay her for it (as the article claims).

Pretty open and shut case.

Is there concept art out there what the whole land will look like when done? That's the Tomorrowland I've known for a long time, will be interesting to see it go, but definitely looks fresh and new now!
No it’s basically just removing the old metal stuff from the land.

Martin had shared this article. It’s an interesting look at the past decade of Disney parks and their current state. It’s not short.

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2020/01/disney-worlds-universal-decade.html
I get this is a blog/opinion piece and I do agree with a decent amount of this but some points that stuck out to me were:

Animal Kingdom is/was too lecture-y. Maybe early on but I don’t find it that way at all today. Yes I am bias because it’s my favorite park but I find parts of Epcot (at least Epcot 5 years ago) more lecture-y than AK.

The person makes a comment that while Pandora is done well they aren’t convinced either attraction delivers. I would agree with NRJ there but not FoP. I’m not quite sure what more you could want with that attraction. Yes it’s a simulator style attraction but it’s arguably one of the best of them.

I would agree that SWGE doesn’t belong at DL but to the point of the author Disney being built on nostalgia so is Star Wars. That almost makes it a better case to have it at DL than elsewhere.

Onto the hotels. I agree that many of the rooms after refurbs feel bland. I do think even a bed runner would help give it more of a Disney feel. Looking at the Donald themed rooms for the refurb of the ambassador in Tokyo that’s something I would love to stay in.

Now I’m not in complete agreement on something like Gran Destino though. Personally having visited but not stayed there I love the new tower but I also understand it’s purpose. It’s for convention business. This tower isn’t for the park vacationer. That’s okay not everything Disney does has to be.

I’d like to point out that the author is not completely correct on the fact that the RotR isn’t interactive. Using the data of you can interact with queue aspects. Now it’s not the Winnie the Pooh queue or something but it can be interactive.

I am not quite certain on the hotel occupancy being down overall either. We are seeing discounts still yes but much more restrictive than in years past. I will say we have seen summer being slower than it once was over the last few years.

I think this piece was well thought out and I have lots of points I agree with. At the same time though why can’t this still be the authors or our WDW? The parks since their inception have never been museums. There has always been change. Some yes for the better and some for the worse. Am I happy with everything that’s happening or happened recently to wdw? Of course not but there is still so much I love about it.

I get this is a blog/opinion piece and I do agree with a decent amount of this but some points that stuck out to me were:

Animal Kingdom is/was too lecture-y. Maybe early on but I don’t find it that way at all today. Yes I am bias because it’s my favorite park but I find parts of Epcot (at least Epcot 5 years ago) more lecture-y than AK.

The person makes a comment that while Pandora is done well they aren’t convinced either attraction delivers. I would agree with NRJ there but not FoP. I’m not quite sure what more you could want with that attraction. Yes it’s a simulator style attraction but it’s arguably one of the best of them.

I would agree that SWGE doesn’t belong at DL but to the point of the author Disney being built on nostalgia so is Star Wars. That almost makes it a better case to have it at DL than elsewhere.

Onto the hotels. I agree that many of the rooms after refurbs feel bland. I do think even a bed runner would help give it more of a Disney feel. Looking at the Donald themed rooms for the refurb of the ambassador in Tokyo that’s something I would love to stay in.

Now I’m not in complete agreement on something like Gran Destino though. Personally having visited but not stayed there I love the new tower but I also understand it’s purpose. It’s for convention business. This tower isn’t for the park vacationer. That’s okay not everything Disney does has to be.

I’d like to point out that the author is not completely correct on the fact that the RotR isn’t interactive. Using the data of you can interact with queue aspects. Now it’s not the Winnie the Pooh queue or something but it can be interactive.

I am not quite certain on the hotel occupancy being down overall either. We are seeing discounts still yes but much more restrictive than in years past. I will say we have seen summer being slower than it once was over the last few years.

I think this piece was well thought out and I have lots of points I agree with. At the same time though why can’t this still be the authors or our WDW? The parks since their inception have never been museums. There has always been change. Some yes for the better and some for the worse. Am I happy with everything that’s happening or happened recently to wdw? Of course not but there is still so much I love about it.
I found myself agreeing with a large portion of it as well. Ultimately though, I still very much enjoy the parks, and it’ll take a lot for that to go away. I dislike plenty of the changes, and enjoy many of the additions and replacements as well. While I’ll certainly miss things that are gone, we all must acknowledge that the parks can’t afford to grow stale. There has certainly been a significant change in direction they are taking things.

I disagree about Animal Kingdom being preachy, and certainly not anymore with the removal of the poachers and dinosaur museum. Although I could see where some could be bugged by the large presence of the conservation aspects being pushed.

Calling out Universal was interesting too, they really didn’t do too much outside of doubling down on Potter until recently. But they also don’t have the attendance to fund nonstop Potter sized investments. And that may change with the new park, or they could just sit back again. Orlando is heating up a lot heading into a new decade. It’ll be very interesting to see how it all plays out between the big 3.

The blog/opinion piece... I don't know, I disagree with more of it than I agree with. Even the parts I kind of agreed with fell flat the more the author went on about it. We've had several really good discussions on these boards about the parks that I think cover everything better than this blog post. One reason I think it doesn't actually hit the mark is the insistence on "nostalgia" as the whole point... it wasn't. Aspects of the parks, such as DL Main Street, is all about the nostalgia, but the rest of the parks/lands aren't. We, the fans, often make things about nostalgia, but that is a by product, not the main point, IMO.

The blog/opinion piece... I don't know, I disagree with more of it than I agree with. Even the parts I kind of agreed with fell flat the more the author went on about it. We've had several really good discussions on these boards about the parks that I think cover everything better than this blog post. One reason I think it doesn't actually hit the mark is the insistence on "nostalgia" as the whole point... it wasn't. Aspects of the parks, such as DL Main Street, is all about the nostalgia, but the rest of the parks/lands aren't. We, the fans, often make things about nostalgia, but that is a by product, not the main point, IMO.
I don't know. I think Disney parks are really built on nostalgia. So many people bring their kids to Disney because they went to Disney or they grew up with Disney films and TV. Obviously the product itself changes over time and they can innovate but the stories are what's nostalgic. Also its often said Disney is reluctant to make big changes or remove something like Autopia/Speedway because so many kids experience that as a right of passage sort of thing and then those kids bring their kids when they become parents. I know for myself I loved Speedway as a kid and I certainly would want to experience that with my kids whenever I become a parent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter