• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2020

So WITHIN the ride's "track"? Interesting. What could it be? Hard to imagine Disney updating an attraction right now (like adding more of a story element back to the ride?), and I can't imagine it to be a snack shack in the middle of the ride. Heh. :)

Restrooms!

:D

So WITHIN the ride's "track"? Interesting. What could it be? Hard to imagine Disney updating an attraction right now (like adding more of a story element back to the ride?), and I can't imagine it to be a snack shack in the middle of the ride. Heh. :)
It’s likely just a theming element. This area has been several things over the years.

Rolly Crump is my favorite!

For those of you who might not know him, he was responsible for the Tower of the Four Winds for IASW at the World's Fair. He also designed the clock in front of IASW at DL. He designed the Land Pavilion at Epcot and the courtyard of Tiki Room at DL with the tiki gods and godesses.

He was also a bit infamous for driving his motorcycle into a Disney studios building.

Rolly Crump is my favorite!

For those of you who might not know him, he was responsible for the Tower of the Four Winds for IASW at the World's Fair. He also designed the clock in front of IASW at DL. He designed the Land Pavilion at Epcot and the courtyard of Tiki Room at DL with the tiki gods and godesses.

He was also a bit infamous for driving his motorcycle into a Disney studios building.

For those that haven't read it, his autobiography"It's Kind of a Cute Story" is a fun read - he was pretty unique among the Imagineers

https://smile.amazon.com/Kind-Cute-...=1597456465&sprefix=it's+kind+of+a+cut&sr=8-3

I think it got buried among all the complaints about the treatment of AP holders, but there was some pretty big legal news recently-

The end of Paramount could eventually make your local theater a Disneyplex

Of course, we've seen studios get around the specifics in the Paramount ruling recently (or at least not be challenged). The Paramount ruling made the practice of selling films in 'blocks' illegal- that is, stipulating that if a theater wanted to show the latest feature film, they must also purchase and show a handful of shorts and newsreels as well. Of course, we all remember the Olaf's Frozen Adventure nonsense that was shown before Coco that huge amounts of moviegoers did NOT want to see. Disney included it as if it were a preview, part of the Coco film. Strictly speaking, it should have been illegal to require a theater chain to show it with Coco (or any of the Pixar shorts that have traditionally played before Pixar films) but they were never challenged. Likewise, demanding that, if a theater wanted to show The Force Awakens, they must dedicate their largest screens to showing only that movie for the first X number of weeks of release (I think it was 4 weeks?) should have been illegal under the Paramount ruling, but it happened anyway.

Completely vacating the ruling and allowing Disney (and other movie studios) to own its own movie theater chain would remove the incentive to sell distribution rights to other theater chains- small independent theaters, or even places like Alamo. The above article makes the point that the only reason these smaller, artsy theaters are able to stay in business is because they do occasionally show current films to draw in enough ticket sales to support the purchase of small, indie films.

Anyway this could, in the short term, actually be good, in a way, for consumers- I'm sure watching a movie at a Disney Movie Theater would be a pleasant experience, with more magic than your standard sticky-floor Regal- but in the long term, this could be exactly like the situation we have with streaming services now- if you want content from a certain studio, you have to go to that studio's theater. And while that won't be a problem in major metropolitan areas that already have multiple movie theaters, it could be a problem in towns that currently only have one.

I'm going to Orlando in early October to house hunt. I had thought to look at the Disney hotels thinking I'd stay at one of those.

Frankly, the prices I saw were astronomical. I understand that all the hotels aren't open, but I'm really beginning to think that Disney truly doesn't want people to come to the parks or the hotels.

Pop was $180 a night. Now, that may be somewhat in line with Pop's cost before COVID, but I would never pay that for a value.

Besides the AP discount for September, there have been no promotions or discounts offered.

I understand they don't want the place flooded, but from all accounts it sounds like most parks save DHS are not hitting their reduced capacity.

I'm just really confused by the behavior of the WDW parks and resorts. Were they ordered to open by the higher ups in the company, but other, not so highly placed people didn't want them to open so they're not offering discounts or trying to get people to fill the lowered capacity?

I don't get it.

Going to Orland to house hunt sounds amazing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter