No need to use the Rennervate Spell this Christmas..update 5/11

wow, another restaraunt blowout!!! Hope your luck got better with them!

At least this time it was not the food and the wait staff...

I really want to try Mythos in Nov, but my family is "meat and potatoes" like yours. I was hesitating because of the menu but your pics of the restaurant are so awesome I might just schedule it anyway!

There are some standard things on the menu...and I hear the flatbread is really good...check on the menu. The restuarant is amazing.

Geez, two of our favorite restaurants and you had poor service at both. I sure hope that is a fluke. I like that your trip report is taking time and all the pictures make it GREAT! ;)

I am glad you are happy with this slow TR...I just feel like I am losing readers. I am hoping to finish up the Universal Part by next weekend.

Sadly, we had the same experience at Mythos, but with a different waitress. It was unbelievable. There were 10 of us at the table and we were there forever waiting for food and drinks, and asking for things multiple times etc.

The food was amazing when it finally came though! But the wait staff gave us such a bad experience that I doubt we will be back. It was not worth all the trouble.

:):):)

I wonder why they do not train their staff? More efficient wait staff will result in more people through there which means more money for them. Maybe they don't get that concept.

;)

The only saving grace of the meal, was that is was good food...you would think they would want repeat business...I know I wont go back...

I am loving your trip report...I started reading it before our recent first trip to Universal and it was so helpful...oddly enough, I was chosen in the wand ceremony even though I ushered my daughters into the first row and hid behind them in the second...(although I am a huge Harry Potter fan and loved every minute of it!) I had to laugh when I read about your husband asking questions in Mythos...my husband is known as "question man" with my family...we are planning our trip for next year already and it looks like Discovery Cove may be included as well thanks to your amazing report on it!! We loved the Royal Pacific Resort, although the rooms are a little small..it is worth the perks for the short stay...next year we are looking at a one bedroom suite...again, your report was a huge help with the planning of the Universal portion of our holiday and I can't thank you enough!!!!!

Patti

How Many Times Can You Ride FJ with a Moaning Boo?​

The alarm rings to signal our last early morning with Harry. Ab and Boo, dress fairly quickly (although not as fast as they did the first morning) while Jeff and Goo continue to sleep. They had decided that there was not a lot for Goo to do, so they would meet us later for our breakfast reservation. We are out the door and in line once again 1st, but this time things are a little different there are tons of people arriving close on our heels and there seems to be a little more happening on the other side of the entry gate too!

1firstinline.jpg

At 6:15 am a ticket attendant arrives at the computer to begin set up. She is one of the more friendly ones we have encountered and strikes up a conversation with us. So I ask what is going on today, our last couple days experience was that the computers got logged on around 6:45 am. She smiles and does a little chuckle, today we are opening at 6:30 am for early entry? What? Apparently yesterday while we were at Discovery Cove attendance records were being set at Universal not only during the day at night. Today, they were expecting things to be even more crazier. I assumed it was just Christmas crowds, but she said this has never happened before…in addition to Christmas there are 2 Bowl Games in the area which are drawing the crowds to Universal over Disney (guess college kids like more thrill then the mouse has to offer), as well as that Wednesday’s and Thursday’s are usually the busier days for Universal. She also told us last night that WWofHP was stand by until the park closed, and the park even closed at midnight (an hour past what was the scheduled time). People were so upset that they offered “paper type express passes” to those waiting in standby last night when the park closed to allow them to enter this morning…so hence 6:30 am opening to do something for on site people who expected to be the only ones from 7:00-8:00 am. At promptly 6:30 am, the computers are ready and the gates open. This time we have no trouble getting through the stall and we are quickly making our way towards Seuss Landing with people running past us and park attendants shouting. I refuse to run, because we know the short cut to get back ahead of the crowd in Seuss Landing, but I am walking rather quickly. We make it across the bridge into Lost Continent and make our way around the corner in front of Mythos where there are several attendants stopping us…again we are in the front.

1heldupat.jpg

They hold us there shouting at people to make sure they walk, when Boo starts acting strange. I am not sure why we were stopped here, but all it seems to do is get everyone coming through the gates again into one uncontrollable mass. Finally, after about 5 minutes we are let go to make our way through the rest of Lost Continent into Hogsmeade. People are racing past us, and park attendants are yelling…I still refuse to run (the rule follower in me). We have our plan, and we know what we are going to do so 20-30 people in front of us is not going to make a huge difference. As we enter into Hogsmeade Boo decides he needs to visit with Moaning Myrtle.

2moaningmyrtle.jpg

WHAT YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! I yell at him to hurry (thinking he just needs to go the bathroom) while his sister shoots daggers as she watches the massive wave of people entering behind us and now passing us.

3crowdsrushingpastus.jpg

Time is passing and with each second, I am ready to go in after him. Finally after what seemed like eternity he emerges, not looking so good. His stomach is hurting, but he thinks he can make it. Ab is fuming mad by this time and she is ready to kill him and sets off giving him a royal tongue lashing, now we will not get to ride Forbidden Journey as much as we want.

5towerandbridge.jpg

4tower2.jpg

I step in and tell her that yes we will, mom has a plan to fix the situation. We enter Hogwart’s and Ab is still as mad as can be and is letting her brother know it with her deadly teenage girl glares while I store our backpack into one of those lockers. We step back out of the locker room, where I ask the attendant to point us to the single rider line. She points to a door directly across from where we are standing and up the stairs we go

1singleriderline.jpg

and walk straight on to Forbidden Journey! We had planned to ride once together, so we could get a picture but knowing how much Ab and Boo love this ride I knew we could not waste time in the regular line. As Ab gets on in front of us, I smile at her my best mommie “I told you so” smile and send her off on her journey.

1forbidden.jpg

Boo meanwhile is moaning next to me. Do you want to ride? He assures me he does and I send him off, and then it is my turn to fly with Harry.

2Harryflying.jpg

When I get off Ab and Boo are standing waiting for me and want to know if they can ride again. Of course, that was the plan to ride it until the line got to bad or they did not want to go. Boo is continuing to moan (I think Myrtle gave him some lessons while he was visiting) but assures me he wants to ride again. So we quickly head down the stairs, through Filtch’s, through the locker room, and up the stairs in the single rider line.

1greathall.jpg

This time we wait about 5 minutes, but still not an issue I point out to Ab a few of the people in the other line that were this us in the entrance line and they have not even ridden yet! Off we go on our separate journeys to meet up in the loading area…again? Again, they shout but Boo is starting to look really bad! Are you sure? My mind is imagining what his stomach is thinking about doing…but he wants to go again! Back down the stairs, through Filch’s, through the locker room, up the stairs into the single rider line with the wait being still about 5 minutes and meeting again at the unloading area. Again? Ab says Boo, but this time the moan is unmistakably a NO from Boo. I tell him that he can sit this one out in the child swap area while we ride. So it is once again down the stairs, through Filtch’s, through the locker room, up the stairs into the single rider line…this time I think people have figured out our trick because the single rider line takes almost 15 minutes. Ab goes off and I leave my moaning son in child swap before I head on my way. Ab meets me in the unloading area and decides her stomach could use a break now, so we go and pick up Boo in the child swap room…where he is laying down moaning (thank goodness no one else is in there). I am thinking this boy needs some fresh air so we head out of Hogwarts where we do not get more than 10 feet from the castle when Boo is running for a trash can with his head going in it….thank goodness he made it to a trash can.

2aaronhangsovertrash.jpg

Now there comes a time in a child’s life when mom is really not needed anymore when a child is…so I stand with him digging for something to wipe his mouth…although it is the dry kind since he has not eaten anything since last night while Ab stands away from us dying in embarrassment. I did snap a few pictures though...

2castle.jpg

Boo finishes and moans to sit down, we find an empty bench near by and I tell Ab that she can go ride again while we wait, but she decides that she just wants to shop around Filch’s for awhile. So I let her head into the store, Boo reassures me that his is fine and I go back inside to get our backpack out of the locker. When I get back to him, I notice that it is now only a little past 7:00 am and we have ridden FJ 4 times, how cool is that! Ab emerges from Filch’s and we decide to take it easy for awhile and check out the castle only tour of Hogwarts.

I love all your pictures in your trip report, but thankful you spared us pictures of poor Boo with his head in the trash can. :rotfl2:

Funny story about the time...along the far edges of the Grand Reef are glassed in aquariums full of less friendly creatures...like moray eels and sharks. You can swim and snorkel right up to the glass and not even realize there is glass. That is exactly what happened to Ab, she was snorkeling up in front of Jeff when all the sudden she shot straight out of the water with a scream. She has just passed the moray eels for the first time, and these guys just as she was passing by decided to come out of their holes and become activity. She had not discovered the concave glass separating her from them...it was pretty funny to witness from across the reef and Jeff said it was even funnier being near her as it happened!

Words cannot even begin to describe how much fun we had the next hour or so, but like all good things, the peacefulness and the fun quickly came to an end because....

Back from Spring Break- we were at Atlantis for 5 nights. I'm going to catch up on your report and comment individually on each update.

The Grand Reef sounds incredible!!! That just opened about a year ago, right?

I love the story about Ab- sounds so cool that you feel like you are snorkeling with the Morays and sharks.

I could talk snorkeling for HOURS! We love, love, love it!

One place I can recommend for a family vacation with excellent snorkeling is the Barcelo Maya resort in Mexico. All inclusive, 3 amazing different beaches, lots of activities, near to a lot of excursion and close to two ruins

I also just posted a few pictures from the Atlantis trip on the Beach Club resort board. Post 1990 is about snorkeling in the aquarium there, and also snorkeling in the "wild"

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2892905&page=133

Only problem with both of these locations is that there are limited rooms for families of 5. We stayed at Comfort Suites in the Bahamas, and I'm not sure if they have rooms for 5 people.

Ride the soothing currents of a tropical river as it winds past sandy beaches, through a dense rain forest, beneath the rocky terrain of cascading waterfalls, and through an underwater cave. Glance down as you travel and take in the wonders that exist beneath the surface of the crystal-clear water

What a fun place and experience...the whole river tip probably took 20-30 minutes and we all had fun diving looking for all the sunken treasure below us and playing in the various waterfalls.

Venture beyond the beaches and waterfalls of Discovery Cove and enter a hidden treasure, the Explorer's Aviary, where an inspiring natural habitat sings with the rhythm of wings and the melodies of birdsong. Watch as hundreds of colorful birds soar above and around you. Feel your heart soar as a feathered friend glides in to meet you and nibble fruit from your hand.

Wind Away River sounds really nice, and relaxing, and fun. And WARM!!!

Bummer that it was too cold to really enjoy the Aviary. That would be an interesting experience.

Snorkeling and Floating sounds like a great afternoon to me!!! Beautiful photos of both fish and family!

Love your pictures from Cat in the Hat- so it looks like nobody was yelling at you to put down the camera that night.

I also appreciate the photos and descriptions from Poseidon's Fury. We didn't see that show.

Bummer about the meal fiasco at Mythos. The atmosphere is phenomenal and the food is great, but you really had poor service once again!

A Fond Farewell to Harry​

I ask the attendant where the entrance to the castle only tour is and she points me back through Filchs to the entrance.

3signonwallnomuggles.jpg

We head up some stairs and into a different portrait hall then what is in the ride line.

3castleonly.jpg

3castleonlytour.jpg

I think it is cooler with the staircase and all, more like the movie. From there we head down a narrow hallway which opens into Dumbledore’s Office along side the ride line.

3dumbledoreoffice.jpg

3dumbledorefont.jpg

3dumbledorecases.jpg

We spend some time hear watching Dumbledore emerge, give his speech, and disappear again…although it feels weird because we are standing in front of those going through the ride line. We also check out all the theming details and what a lot there are that we had missed when we were walking through the ride line. From Dumbledore’s Office we follow alongside the ride line and into the Dark Arts Classroom.

3hogwartwindow.jpg

3darkartswindowsill.jpg

3darkartsclassromsign.jpg

3darkartsbones.jpg

Where again we watch the show with Harry, Hermione, and Ron emerging, give their speech, disappear under the cloak of invisibility and making it…

3darkartsclassroom.jpg

3darkartssnowing.jpg

We leave the classroom and this is where the tour ends with a set of stairs back down into Filch’s. The castle tour is neat and you get time to enjoy all the little things that you don’t have time to stop for when you are in the ride line, but you also miss so much and don’t have the AHHH of going through the greenhouse to the entrance of Hogwarts.
My suggestion is that even if you are not riding FJ, do the rider line (if the wait time is reasonable) and take the chicken exit once you get to the sorting hat. Depending on how fast the rider line went, go back and do the castle only tour so you can enjoy the 2 large rooms at your own pace.

Back outside of Hogwarts (forgive me for a moment when I post one of my favorite pictures of Ab on the trip)
6favpictureab.jpg

Ab and Boo both decide it is time for some Butter Beer and I have some unfinished business in Honeydukes, so we make our way down the street in Hogsmeade and into the Boar’s Head Tavern where we order a round of Butter Beer and take it out to the patio to enjoy the view of Hogwarts and talk about our touring plan.

6onelastbutterbeer.jpg

Ab and Boo decide that they have done everything they want in WWofHP (and it is only about 7:45 am) and are ready to move on, since the rest of the park is about to open and we have no real plans until 9:30 am. The Butter Beer seems to have done the trick and Boo acts for the time being that he is over his Moaning Myrtle impression so we head back out onto the street in Hogsmeade where we see the conductor has arrived and stop to take a picture with him and see if we can stump him with some HP trivia.

4express.jpg

Honeydukes is still calling my name...I had promised myself a cauldron cake so in we go and pick up a little treat.

AlexsPictures093.jpg

7caldroncake.jpg

Back outside we take a look at the crowds and decide that we are done in WWofHP and bid Harry a fond farewell.

6christmascrowds.jpg

6chrismascrowds.jpg

Once we step outside of the arch way leading into WWofHP we are asked "Are you sure you want to leave? There is no re-entry once you leave?" What, looking at my watch it is 8:15 am and we realize that WWofHP is now standby entrance over in Jurassic Park. Really the park has been open 15 minutes to the general public and it is now at capacity...this is not looking good for our touring plan today.

Wind Away River sounds really nice, and relaxing, and fun. And WARM!!!

Bummer that it was too cold to really enjoy the Aviary. That would be an interesting experience.

We loved wind away river...our lazy river this summer at out local water park is going to be such a disappointment...

Snorkeling and Floating sounds like a great afternoon to me!!! Beautiful photos of both fish and family!

I wish that I had time to scan the actual photos...I am not sure what is up with the CD...the colors were so cool for a small little disposable camera.

Love your pictures from Cat in the Hat- so it looks like nobody was yelling at you to put down the camera that night.

I don't understand what the big deal is with cameras...it is not like the ride is top secret...as long as the flash is off, what is the problems.

I also appreciate the photos and descriptions from Poseidon's Fury. We didn't see that show.

Bummer about the meal fiasco at Mythos. The atmosphere is phenomenal and the food is great, but you really had poor service once again!

You are so right...the atmosphere is amazing!

I'm really looking forward to touring that castle!! It's SSOO cool! Butterbeer (frozen) is on our top priority list too - well that's for me anyway. ROFL DH doesn't care - he'd rather save money and drink water and DD will try the pumpkin juice b/c she doesn't drink pop so I guess I'm on my own but it's on MY TOP PRIORITY list! :rotfl2:

One Last Time Around to All the Islands​

With Caledron cake safely inside a box we decide to head off for Jurassic Park to find someplace to sit down and share it, and then make the big loop around IOA. We have a little less than 2 hours before we meet Jeff and Goo for breakfast at Confisco Grill back at the Port of Entry. Since we had not really checked out the Jurassic Discovery Center we went in there and found the place to be completely empty so we found an empty table and shared the little cake.

1caldrooncake.jpg

Boo is still complaining that his stomach hurts and passes on a bite. Ab and I both agreed that it was pretty yummy…we loved the chocolate mousee that it was filled with. With the cake eaten, I suggest that we head down the stairs and explore the Discovery Center…but Ab and Boo decide that they have seen enough dinosaur exhibits and want to pass on this. I am a little shocked, but I can understand I do tend to drag them to lots of museums. We head back outside and pass on the Jurassic River Adventure, no body really feels like getting wet nor do they want to ride the Flyers. Next up we enter into Toon Lagoon and Boo is really moaning and groaning, so I suggest that he goes into the bathroom to see if that helps while Ab and take a little closer look at the theming. Boo emerges some 10 minutes later, not looking any better but he says he can continue on. I have to say that both JP and TL are desserted, there is literally no one anywhere in sight of us so we are really taking the time to look around and take some fun pictures.

2funyet.jpg

2-1.jpg

3funwithsigns.jpg

4stinky.jpg

There is really nothing in Toon Lagoon that does not entail getting wet so we continue on until we cross over into Super Hero Island where I start in on begging, pleading, and trying to bribe someone to ride the Hulk with me. But first there is Spiderman, which both of the kids love and we decide to stop and ride a few times.

Universal_2011_0162.jpg

After our last ride, Boo begins moaning again and just wants to sit down. Well, I am riding Hulk whether the two of them do or not. About the time I make my decision Jeff calls and he and Goo are on their way to the park. I tell him where we are and where to meet us and I head off to ride the Hulk, by myself! The wait time is about 60 minutes according the sign, so I opt to do the Express Pass line…could not find the single rider line entrance.

5hulkcomingin.jpg

5hulkgoing.jpg

5hulk.jpg

It takes me about 15 minutes before I am on board and whisked away through the loops and drops. While riding I can see that Jeff and Goo have arrived and are standing with Ab and Boo below…yes, I could see them while I rode and they actually caught me riding. I love the Hulk, it is a smooth coaster with lots of fun twists and turns. I meet them and find that Goo has discovered the super hero phones and is playing around, while Boo is still sitting there moaning.

6goocalls.jpg

5mythos.jpg

Looking at my watch we have about 20 minutes before our reservation and I decide it would not hurt to go and see if we can get in early and we head back towards the Port of Entry to Confisco Grill where I check in and the hostess doesn’t think there will be a problem.

CIMG0449.jpg

With Boo moaning loudly by now we send him to the bathroom while we sit (and wonder if we will have a good restaurant experience) and wait to be called for our table.

Okay, your daughter sorta kinda looks like Luna Lovegood in this picture :)

You are so right...she loves Luna!

I'm really looking forward to touring that castle!! It's SSOO cool! Butterbeer (frozen) is on our top priority list too - well that's for me anyway. ROFL DH doesn't care - he'd rather save money and drink water and DD will try the pumpkin juice b/c she doesn't drink pop so I guess I'm on my own but it's on MY TOP PRIORITY list! :rotfl2:

You are about to leave on your trip! Drink a butterbeer for me! I bet when DD tries a sip of butterbeer she will love it! The frozen really does not have the fizzy pop...really nor does the regular. Have a super trip and I cant wait to read your TR!

Once again, amazing photos from the castle tour! Your pictures of the rooms with the holograms are awesome.

I'm glad the rest of the park was not crowded for you, but looking at that picture from WWoHP, I know where everyone was!

You got to ride Hulk!!! :banana::banana::banana:

I only got one chance to ride it, at night, right before the park closed. My oldest son LOVED it, but the younger one refused.

Don't like hearing all that moaning from Boo... :sick:

I am venturing into the world of Digital Scrapbooking...I just don't seem to have the time or the place to do traditional anymore. I am learning...here is a page I completed tonight. I will post the others I have finished for the trip later...

For TR Chapter:
Not Platform 9 3/4, but Still Pretty Cool

HogwartsExpressPage.jpg

Once again, amazing photos from the castle tour! Your pictures of the rooms with the holograms are awesome.

I will not tell you how many attempts and changes in shutter speeds it took me!

I'm glad the rest of the park was not crowded for you, but looking at that picture from WWoHP, I know where everyone was!

Yep...silly muggles standing in line while we enjoy the rest of the park!

You got to ride Hulk!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Finally decided if I am going to ride, I am gonna have to do it myself. I knew Jeff was on his way so I was not worried leaving them for a few moments so I could enjoy!

I only got one chance to ride it, at night, right before the park closed. My oldest son LOVED it, but the younger one refused.

Don't like hearing all that moaning from Boo... :sick:

Me either...

I am venturing into the world of Digital Scrapbooking...I just don't seem to have the time or the place to do traditional anymore. I am learning...here is a page I completed tonight. I will post the others I have finished for the trip later...

For TR Chapter:
Not Platform 9 3/4, but Still Pretty Cool

HogwartsExpressPage.jpg

The cool thing about digital scrap booking is you can have several copies printed as books and then give them out as Christmas gifts. We do this every year for our parents!
Love your "page" btw!

The cool thing about digital scrap booking is you can have several copies printed as books and then give them out as Christmas gifts. We do this every year for our parents!
Love your "page" btw!

I have done a few photo books, mostly the kind where you upload the photos and the company inserts them into premade layouts for family and friends...this is the first time I am doing the designing from scratch and I am loving it! I have done traditional scrapbooking for over 15 years but I just don't have the time needed to get it done...let alone the work space.

A Grinch-y Breakfast​

Last Christmas Abigail decided that the Grinch is her favorite character so this Christmas, I scheduled for us to have breakfast with the Grinch as a special treat for her. Goo laughs and says she likes the Grinch because he as attitude just like her, which lands him a loving pop on the head from his big sister. They both giggle and poke their heads into the dining area, where Goo spots the Grinch and asks if Max is here too. About the same time our name is called Boo arrives back, looking a little better and saying he is hungry (a good sign that maybe today will not be a disaster and we can be a family again). We are greeted by Mike, our server, who takes us over to a table near the back of the restaurant. Goo asks if Max is around, and Mike not missing a beat to a 6 year olds question tells Boo that he will have to go look and see if he can find them. Mike takes our drink order, explains the buffet and sends us on our way. Maybe we will have a good waiter, it is looking promising. The buffet is set up across the room near the entrance and we go to fill up our plates. The selection is not bad including a few themed foods like green eggs and ham,

7gooeatsgreeneggs.jpg

little rice krispe treat Christmas trees, and waffle snitch stars.

6breakfast.jpg

When we get back to the table, our drinks are waiting along with…

3gooandmax.jpg

sitting on Goo’s chair. Mike comes back as we sit down and asks if we needing anything and tells Goo to take good care of Max or the Grinch might get a little, well Grinchy. As we begin to eat, Boo decides that since we are doing a Seuss breakfast maybe he should more Seuss-ish and dons his blue Thing hair (what Grinch matching shirts are not enough?) and the Whoos come to check him out.

5stylehepforboo.jpg

5booanwhoo.jpg

Ab pulls out her copy of How the Grinch Stole Christmas and gets them to sign her book.

4anotherwhoo.jpg

The Whoos have a great time signing the book, styling his hair and warning us about the green guy who is in the room that scares them. Before we know it the Grinch himself appears to check out the blue haired boy, tell Goo to eat his breakfast and don’t feed Max, and then to make a few comments about the cute blonde at the table.

2grinchsigns.jpg

2grinchandboo.jpg

1kidswithgrinch.jpg

I must say that we love the Jim Carrey verision of the Grinch the best, and this guy does a great job. I had read that sometimes he is a little bit over the top during breakfast, but I really found him to be perfect. He spent a lot of time teasing the kids and being just plain like the Grinch. Near the end of the breakfast the Cat in the Hat arrived for his interaction time with the kids.

8kidsandcat.jpg

10cathugsgoo.jpg

9cathugsboo.jpg

I think Jo liked him the best, since he is at the age where his teachers do a lot of Seuss themed days. Mike brings the bill and mistakenly gives it to Jeff who freaks out over the price of the meal, I quickly grab it from his hands to pay telling him that everything has been budgeted for in advance and quit being Grinchy which gets a big laugh from the kids. Overall breakfast was a good experience…good food (although it is really overpriced), great character interaction (except Ab was hoping to see Thing 1 & 2), and the best wait staff we have had at a meal (for which I gave him a large tip). With the bill paid and breakfast over, our next stop of course has to be…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter