No the Magic isn’t gone but it’s at 25%

I do know at Cedar Fair parks they are kicking people out of the park for cutting the line as well as taking their phone out in line. Like you said at the majority of other parks most people don't buy skip the line passes.

A bit off topic I'm a bit jealous of how close you are to Great Adventure. It's one of the parks on my bucket list. I have been to Cedar Point, King's Island and Hershey Park.
Oh at Great Adventure no one cared and people skipped the lines to their hearts content. At least that's how it was when I was a teenager. Just because I was curious, I looked up how much the Flash Pass (their name for a skip the line service) would be for tomorrow and it is $185 per person for the premium (reduces your wait by 90%) and $110 for the gold that reduces your wait by 50%. I never bought this and neither did anyone I knew that went to Great Adventure (the park was a local hangout for my high school). Also apparently Great Adventure is the second largest theme park in the world behind Animal Kingdom...huh. Interesting.

I don't live in NJ anymore so that's why I don't go to Great Adventure these days but yeah it's a really fun park and the safari is great. Kingda Ka is the scariest coaster I've ever been on. I've only been to Hershey Park twice; once as a super little kid and the second time when my mom's company bought out the park for a day for an event. She gave my sister and I the tickets and we had a blast.

That would backfire on those who stay off-site as it would have limited availability. Express Pass does sell out. I think that's were the disconnect in this whole discussion is. Disney guests expect to have access to skip the line passes due to FP. Where as every park people accept waiting in line is part of the process.

Instead of looking at the added cost, guests should be looking at how to have a good day while waiting in hour to 2 hour lines.
This is where I disagree, I do think Disney will solve genie and wait times, because the last thing Disney wants is people standing in line where they aren’t spending money. It doesn’t make sense to have families wait hours in a line, it’s bad business. Currently it isn’t working, I think because they thought not many would spend the $15, which was probably naive. I truly believe they are working out the “bugs” technologically, and practically, and things will start to get tinkered with soon to try and balance it out. They’ve already started with limiting purchases to the day of visit.

This is where I disagree, I do think Disney will solve genie and wait times, because the last thing Disney wants is people standing in line where they aren’t spending money. It doesn’t make sense to have families wait hours in a line, it’s bad business. Currently it isn’t working, I think because they thought not many would spend the $15, which was probably naive. I truly believe they are working out the “bugs” technologically, and practically, and things will start to get tinkered with soon to try and balance it out. They’ve already started with limiting purchases to the day of visit.
To fix Genie+ requires capping sales which I think is coming. How is that different then pricing people out? At the end of the day it's the same thing.

because the last thing Disney wants is people standing in line where they aren’t spending money.
I think that's an overused reason and ignores the past. People gobbled up oodles of merch for Pandora for instance despite the 4-5 hour lines it was pulling (albeit that was with FP+ on there because no surprise it didn't open as standby only). And people gobble up merch for Star Wars despite being in long lines (that were VQ).

I think people overestimate Disney thinking of this reasoning of this of "if you're not standing in line you're not buying" if that were the case all these other theme parks would also have the same business model and Disney would have never allowed it to begin with. There's nothing like seeing the queue to make you want to buy the merch. Concept of being in line also encourages merch purchases. It can hype the person up.

Also I would argue that Disney themselves has hindered people wanting to purchase merch. No longer are merchandise sent to your hotel room (that stopped before the pandemic), no longer will your merch even be sent to your hotel. No longer can merchandise be held . We purchased a lot of merch (like honestly a lot) back in 2017 simply because we could purchase it before a cut off time and pick up in the gift shop area of our Disney resort (which was All-Stars), in 2011 as we were off site we purchased merch by having it sent to the front of the parks to be picked up on our way out. I *think* what they may offer right now is that they will hold the items at the particular store you bought it from only until 5pm or something like that, I saw an article about Windtraders in AK but that was from 2020 so could be very outdated. I saw another article from 2021 but was only for the holiday time period and it mentioned at Epcot there was a $150 minimum to do it. Online Disney lists both services (resort delivery and package holding) as presently unavailable..at least according to their website no holding of merch is done.

Universal however has this service still (not to your actual room though). If on site it can be sent to the hotel, if just wanting to pick it up on your way out no biggie it'll be available at the designated main store in each park.

Take into consideration some of these lines wouldn't be quite as long if not as many people are skipping.

Question. Do you go to other parks much outside of Disney or Universal? That's the point in making if so the average person doesn't buy it. The more people buy it the more it doesn't work.
Sea World a few times and Knotts many years ago. I live close to southern California. I'm guessing you are young, but you have to understand many people over the age of 40 can't handle roller coaster after rollercoaster. I would go to a rollercoaster park for my kids, but I'd probably be done after three rides. I like rollercoasters in small doses.

Sea World a few times and Knotts many years ago. I live close to southern California. I'm guessing you are young, but you have to understand many people over the age of 40 can't handle roller coaster after rollercoaster. I would go to a rollercoaster park for my kids, but I'd probably be done after three rides. I like rollercoasters in small doses.
Wish there was no truth in that whatsoever :) I am sure its not axiomatic, but I fall into that category.

I am mid 40s and love coasters still. My point was more about how FPs work at those parks. At all other parks it's priced as high as it is to discourage people from buying it. Those parks know you can't offer it to everyone. With Disney due to FP being always available to who wished to use it that now Disney does want to limit availability Disney guests won't accept it.

Wish there was no truth in that whatsoever :) I am sure its not axiomatic, but I fall into that category.
I love the new rollercoaster at Universal I could ride it all day, but I can't ride Hulk. Guardians at Epcot is as smooth as butter. If parks continue to make rollercoasters that don't beat the crap out of you I might like them more.

I am mid 40s and love coasters still. My point was more about how FPs work at those parks. At all other parks it's priced as high as it is to discourage people from buying it. Those parks know you can't offer it to everyone. With Disney due to FP being always available to who wished to use it that now Disney does want to limit availability Disney guests won't accept it.
I went to WDW three times when they didn't have fast passes and people seemed very happy. Lines were manageable. No one complained. Disney guests will accept no fast passes if it's the same for everyone. They certainly aren't going to accept paying outrageous fees or limited fast passes... as we know they aren't liking this current mess.

I went to WDW three times when they didn't have fast passes and people seemed very happy. Lines were manageable. No one complained. Disney guests will accept no fast passes if it's the same for everyone. They certainly aren't going to accept paying outrageous fees or limited fast passes... as we know they aren't liking this current mess.
Crowds were also more limited during the time there was no fast pass. That’s a critical piece of the equation.

I think that's an overused reason and ignores the past. People gobbled up oodles of merch for Pandora for instance despite the 4-5 hour lines it was pulling (albeit that was with FP+ on there because no surprise it didn't open as standby only). And people gobble up merch for Star Wars despite being in long lines (that were VQ).

I think people overestimate Disney thinking of this reasoning of this of "if you're not standing in line you're not buying" if that were the case all these other theme parks would also have the same business model and Disney would have never allowed it to begin with. There's nothing like seeing the queue to make you want to buy the merch. Concept of being in line also encourages merch purchases. It can hype the person up.

Also I would argue that Disney themselves has hindered people wanting to purchase merch. No longer are merchandise sent to your hotel room (that stopped before the pandemic), no longer will your merch even be sent to your hotel. No longer can merchandise be held . We purchased a lot of merch (like honestly a lot) back in 2017 simply because we could purchase it before a cut off time and pick up in the gift shop area of our Disney resort (which was All-Stars), in 2011 as we were off site we purchased merch by having it sent to the front of the parks to be picked up on our way out. I *think* what they may offer right now is that they will hold the items at the particular store you bought it from only until 5pm or something like that, I saw an article about Windtraders in AK but that was from 2020 so could be very outdated. I saw another article from 2021 but was only for the holiday time period and it mentioned at Epcot there was a $150 minimum to do it. Online Disney lists both services (resort delivery and package holding) as presently unavailable..at least according to their website no holding of merch is done.

Universal however has this service still (not to your actual room though). If on site it can be sent to the hotel, if just wanting to pick it up on your way out no biggie it'll be available at the designated main store in each park.

Take into consideration some of these lines wouldn't be quite as long if not as many people are skipping.
Disneyland is bringing back mercy delivery to resorts, so don’t be surprised when WDW does. The writing is kind of on the wall there, I think the pandemic has given a lot of people cover for their hot takes, but they seem to be falling apart one by one

And yet they keep buying them…..

Crowds were also more limited during the time there was no fast pass. That’s a critical piece of the equation.
Agreed. I did a trip with my entire family in September 2021 and it was the best trip we did in a long time crowd wise. That trip was great for waits (highest wait the entire time was 30 minutes for ToT) but the reduced capacity + international tourism still being prohibited at the time + typical lower crowd period of September were the key reasons for that.

Disneyland is bringing back mercy delivery to resorts, so don’t be surprised when WDW does. The writing is kind of on the wall there, I think the pandemic has given a lot of people cover for their hot takes, but they seem to be falling apart one by one
I agree the longer time has gone on the longer it is that decisions aren't being made in the name of "well we had to see it's called a pandemic and all" I just don't personally agree about the line/spending money part (which was said even before the pandemic), it doesn't match up with what they've done in the past and certainly right now disgruntled guests I would hazard a guess are less likely to be spending money on merch.

That to me so fascinating. Everyone says they hate Genie+ but yet buy it for the chance of skipping the line on 1-2 rides.
Hey I never bought it

I think that's in part because I hated and resented feeling like I had to with MP. I despised that feeling back in 2019 at DLR. And I'm not paying for an individual ride on something..least at this point in my life. Pfft $17 to ride a ride, come on. That said I know my step-father-in-law would if he were to go to WDW "if it made everyone happy" he would.

but you have to understand many people over the age of 40 can't handle roller coaster after rollercoaster.

I retired from the loopers and spinners at 55 but still love the speeders. The key is not sitting over the wheels.

I can still ride Millennium Force at Cedar Point or the Beast at Kings Island over and over again.

Millie is my favorite. We even named a dog after her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter