Not too impressed with DLRP

Absolutely spot on with my views. I was being lazy I suppose in how I wrote it (and also didn't want to put my foot in it even more)

Foot in it??? Youre entitled to an opinion:confused3

Bit of a boring place if everyone thought the same:goodvibes

I'm a relative newbie too ~ my first time to WDW was 2004 and DLRP was 2005 but I understand what you and Dave are getting at. You'll be delighted to hear that there was a barbershop quartet singing on Main Street when we went this August. DH thought I was mad because I stood there for ages listening to them but that's one of my favourite things about WDW and I was so excited to finally find the same at DLRP. :yay:

That is awesome news. I did not see them on our August trip, but I am glad to hear they were there (they used to be at DLP the opening year and are Disneyland tradition).

I'm a relative newbie too ~ my first time to WDW was 2004 and DLRP was 2005 but I understand what you and Dave are getting at. You'll be delighted to hear that there was a barbershop quartet singing on Main Street when we went this August.

That's awesome. I really would love to see those little touches again. I remember the babershop so vividly as my Grandad used to sit for hours on a bench and listen to them...infact his Disneyland was sat on Main Street watching people go by while listening to the band and babershop quartet while having a coffee.

I've just found a list of events happening in 1996 and it makes for amazing reading:

Fairytale Festival - Fantasyland, Jan 8-Apr 4

This special season lets you relive and experience the most
magical and magnificent moments of this mysterious world.

Things to see and do:

* A giant gingerbread house with all its enticing candy
* Each day, the marriage of Sleeping Beauty and her handsome
prince Philippe [sic] on his white horse
* A pumpkin magically becomes Cinderella's carriage
* A new classic parade featuring 'modern' fairytales (Little
Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King and
Pocahontas)
* "Kids Free" promotion from Jan 1 to April 4. [Presumably as
per previous years - i.e. one child package free per adult
booking]

Far West Festival - Frontierland, Apr 12-Jun 23

In Frontierland there will be three main areas of activity
for the Far West Festival: the Chaparral Stage, Cowboy
Cookout and at the entrance to Frontierland.

* Lumberjacks from Canada will stage a log cabin building
contest
* Country music groups will be performing
* Line dancers
* A stagecoach arriving into town with the girls from the
Lucky Nugget Saloon on board
* Indians [ahem, Native Americans?] doing authentic
hairbraiding, face painting and making headdresses from
eagle feathers

Western Stunt Show - Apr 12-Jun 23

The show centres around 'Lucky Luke' and the 'Dalton
Brothers'. The show is new and very lively and features the
US Cavalry and cowboys and Indians. So that everyone can
enjoy the show, it is all action and few words!!

I agree with most the OP has said i'm afraid. I did enjoy DLP and will go back for 2-3 days whilst my daughter is young. But I also can't hide my disappointment, not so much with the park itself which was beautiful but with the staff and general Disney attitude - which seemed on sabbatical most of the time.

I do feel it is a bit unfair to say the OP went in with the wrong attitude. I was bursting with excitement at our trip and I let the first dozen or so things that went wrong or where we encountered rudeness go but regardless of how great your spirit and intention is eventually you will be worn down by it and it will bite away at the magic.

We got through our trip by choosing to ignore most of it and our daughter had a lovely time which is what matters most. However I do feel that it is a shame to have to ignore anything at a disney park and there were times when I felt Walt would have gone ballistic if he could see what was going on staff wise.

I do think its unfair to compare the park to WDW as its a whole different experience, if anything it should be compared to the original Disneyland.

And I believe the OP was just wanting to encourage people to try WDW because he like many of us have felt so much magic there. :yay:

I hope my next trip will be better and i'm not ready to give up on DLP just yet (even though DH isn't keen on going back) but if we didn't have our baby girl I don't think i'd go back either. :sad1:

Sadly, because of these niggles, my Mom (who made me the addict I am today taking me to DL in California all the time), refuses to ever go back to DLP. We have a much better time than my folks and brothers (my brothers hate DLP), but while well designed, it is not the same sort of experience as DL, mainly because of the people, but I do respect catering to 5 core languages and multiple cultures is very difficult.

Personally we had such a bad time last time on site at WDW, I feel a similar way. So even though I adore DLP, I can understand how those who are less enamoured for it.

Though if people want the ultimate DIsney quality, may I please recommend you ll do not waste your time and money on Paris or Florida. Go to California or Tokyo instead.

We went to DLP for the first time in November, having been for the first time to Florida in January.

Our experience was very similar to the OP.

We were very excited and looking forward to it, and even more thrilled when we were in the parks only 5 hours after leaving home. Surely this would be much much better and enjoyable that the states!

We thought a trip to DLP would be great for our 3 year old and she enjoyed it, but the whole trip was marred by the rudeness of the staff and other people in the park.

We stayed in the Newport Bay and to be honest the room was extremely 'tired', nothing major, but shabby and could have been cleaner. The Yacht Club, was far far superior.

Yes the parks are a bit tattier than Florida, the general feeling of Disney is there, but what is missing is the customer service, the smile and the 'hello princess' for our daughter, the queueing was horrendous over two days we were there and the people were so rude, pushing in front of us, once knocking our daughter over.

Meeting the characters was horrid, the CM with the character didn't bother to get everyone organised, so children were being shoved out the way so adults could get in. We avoided Character meets after this and if we saw them would turn away before DD knew they were happening, this is what she loves about Disney, but she would be waiting patiently, having been taught to be polite and take her turn, but then would end up with the character leaving and be upset. I am sorry, I was not going to resort to fisticuffs for a photo!

We also found the service in the restaurants incredibly slow. Fast food doesn't seem to happen in France. Getting a coffee took half an hour, with so few staff on at most of the outlets in the parks - King Ludwigs was an epic in getting something to eat. Great when it came, but four hours to eat two courses!!, we gave up waiting for the desert and left!

The parks are OK, nothing much for littlies in the Studios, but the feeling of Disney is there, but the service, the 'specialness' that surrounds it, is missing.

Perfect example. We had some vouchers for free coffees, we wouldn't be able to redeem them within the time, but we went up to three different couples - waiting in queues for food, just to 'pass them on', but no one wanted to accept them, they looked like we were trying to give them something dodgy!

Something just isn't there.

Having said that our daughter enjoyed herself, us, we won't be going there again!

Kate

Hello

I find it very interesting reading this thread and seeing people's different perspectives. I'm also sorry the OP didn't have a good time.

We went to WDW this August for the second time. We had an amazing time and came away with some very cherished memories.

We are now booked to go to DLRP next October, for the second time as a family. The last time was 6 years ago.

And we cannot wait. We love the place so much.

We won't be wandering around comparing it with WDW or wishing we were there instead. It's all good because it's all DISNEY.

At WDW, despite having an amazing time there were one or two things that could have gone smoother. Didn't matter. At DLP there may be things that don't run like clockwork. Doesn't matter. Just as long as we're together and having fun is alright by us.

Hopefully we'll go back to WDW at some point in the future - hubby really wants to go to Tokyo too! I have never been to Disneyland.

I could write all day about the pro's and cons of each place - but as someone else on here said - the magic's where you find it.

:thumbsup2 Like your attitude Mama.

It's a few years since my children were 3, but I remember well enough to know that at 3 they would have loved the Studios as they are now...Stitch Live, Animagique, Flying Carpets and Cars would all have been favourites and best of all - organised meet and greets! The chance to queue properly for Sully, Mickey, Minnie, Daisy etc. There are 2 types of meet n greets at DLRP - the free for all, which seems unique to DLRP and the more organised ones with proper queues - ideal for people who prefer not to do the scrums, I would have thought. :confused3

My daughter gets called princess at DLRP, but crucially, not all the time. She likes that - it seems more genuine and not a programmed response from an automaton who is told he must call all little girls 'Princess'. The staff we meet are always courteous and do their job as a minimum. Some are more garrulous, but it is true that none of them are sycophantic and subservient.You know what - that suits me just fine. I don't want to be waited upon by doormats, it would make me uncomfortable. These are just working people who happen to be paid to help me at that time. I treat them as I would any other working person and don't expect them to bow and scrape to me.:sad2:

agree totally with mama & hildasmuriel :thumbsup2

i must say, after havin been to america years ago - the bit i hate most is the 'have a nice day' bit that they all say - so very false & drives me round the bend lol but havin had a canadian lecturer, we discussed things like this, and all nations do things that annoy the others, that they feel is automated, but is natural where they are!!

my boys loved the studios, and i know that as they get older they will get more n more out of it (if we can afford it lol) but def found enuf to do for my under 3 yr, and we still missed out bits we could have done!!!

i like it, as, u get the good service, without the robotic 'automated' greetings, ur served like u r anywhere, but then, if u need an extra bit of help - even the grumpiest cm is suddenly helpful - and thats what i like. the help & service is there for those that need it :lovestruc

Something I forgot to say - the thing I love about Disney - anywhere - is how it seems to adapt to whatever age your children are.

I first went to DLRP when my two were very young - I struggle to remember what we did as they were too little for most rides and were scared of meeting characters!

Last time we went they were more outgoing and went on more of the softer rides (hubby went on the 'scarier' stuff by himself!)

But now, having been to WDW and my youngest going on any ride there is - she wants to go to DLRP and do all the rides with my husband! My eldest and I are looking forward to going on all our usual rides and having lots of coffees and pastries together!

The different experiences at different parks feed off each other - it's been so long since we went to Paris - we can't wait to discover it all over again!

(And this time they won't be scared of the dragon's lair - WDW doesn't have that!)

My daughter gets called princess at DLRP, but crucially, not all the time. She likes that - it seems more genuine and not a programmed response from an automaton who is told he must call all little girls 'Princess'. The staff we meet are always courteous and do their job as a minimum. Some are more garrulous, but it is true that none of them are sycophantic and subservient.You know what - that suits me just fine. I don't want to be waited upon by doormats, it would make me uncomfortable. These are just working people who happen to be paid to help me at that time. I treat them as I would any other working person and don't expect them to bow and scrape to me.:sad2:

You have just summed up my thoughts exactly. :thumbsup2

Sorry to here you didnt enjoy your trip , but I really do prefer DLRP to WDW . Lets face it no 2 ppl are the same , it would be a very boring place if we were . I find in general that DLRP is far more managable in size & you don't have to get transport from one place to another ( had bad experiences in WDW ) . I find the CM in DLRP far more approachable & to quote Scampbunny "i must say, after havin been to america years ago - the bit i hate most is the 'have a nice day' bit that they all say - so very false & drives me round the bend "

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildasmuriel

My daughter gets called princess at DLRP, but crucially, not all the time. She likes that - it seems more genuine and not a programmed response from an automaton who is told he must call all little girls 'Princess'. The staff we meet are always courteous and do their job as a minimum. Some are more garrulous, but it is true that none of them are sycophantic and subservient.You know what - that suits me just fine. I don't want to be waited upon by doormats, it would make me uncomfortable. These are just working people who happen to be paid to help me at that time. I treat them as I would any other working person and don't expect them to bow and scrape to me.

Must say I totally agree with you on that :thumbsup2:

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy DLRP.
DLRP looks 100% better than MK. I find MK really artificial looking. I love going to both DLP & WDW however not so keen on MK, I think Epcot is brilliant. The hotels aren't that much better at WDW, I don't think any WDW or DLP are true luxury even the GF or DLH are pretty basic compared to what you can get for the same money else where.

I agree on all these points. I love Epcot and DHS but MK, not so much. I've stayed onsite at WDW and DLP and wasn't overly impressed with any of the hotels.. They weren't bad by any means but you definitely pay for location over facilities IMO.
Just to add, my favourite park is Disneyland in California.. There's just something about being in the original Disney park that can't be replicated elsewhere :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter