NYE: park reservation system and crowd level comparison?

mckennarose

DIS Veteran
Looking ahead to next NYE and hoping for Epcot, I'm wondering if the park reservation system had any major change in crowd levels for NYE? If anyone has been this past NYE and in other past.

If I remember correctly, in pre covid years the parks could or have hit capacity and were enormously packed. It was one of those things where you had to be in the park by a certain time or risk not getting in later. With the new park reservation system, and with this year seeming closer to "normal", I would really like to know how this looked in the parks, since I know Epcot park reservations for NYE were gone early.

If you were there in Epcot on NYE, did the park reservation system seem to lower crowds? In comparison to prior year's NYE crowd levels? I know ANY holiday is going to be very crowded, I'm just wondering since Disney gets to control crowd levels ahead of time, if they are actually making it less crowded (less than capacity where they used to phase close) or if they are stuffing people in like always. And how did the park hoppers at 2 pm affect the crowd levels? I know we'll never know exactly how many people is in each prior capacity phase, but Disney does and it's interesting to see how crowded they are willing to let it go.

Going forward to next NYE and if we go, I'm trying to figure out how early we would need to be in Epcot (provided we get a park reservation) and if the park hoppers coming in at 2 affected that. Meaning, even if you had a park reservation for Epcot on NYE, could the park hoppers possibly create a capacity issue where if we decided to go into the park later in the day or leave Epcot and go back, we would be turned away?

TIA!

I’ve been to NYE at Epcot several times pre-Covid. I was not there this year, but spent the day/evening watching various live vlogs from Epcot. It was definitely way more crowded pre-Covid IMO. Park reservations do make a difference.

A park reservation guarantees you entrance to a park from open to close. If you have a park reservation you will get in.

Also, there was never a time hopping was stopped to any park except for a couple of hours the afternoon of MK’s 50th anniversary when it was stopped for a few hours but then re-opened.

All parks have been full for park reservations much of the past 2 weeks yet never was someone with a reservation denied entry nor hopping stopped.

This one thing can give guests peace of mind who have park reservations or hopper passes even though they may not like the current system.

Considering that Disney manages their own self-imposed park reservations system and sets their own park capacity limits, this doesn't really seem to have had a huge impact on crowd levels, recent trip reports show that the parks remain extremely busy during holiday periods (just like pre-pandemic levels).. Also keep in mind that there are no reservations required for park hopping which also affects crowd levels..

IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if the park reservation system is removed by the time the next NYE rolls around, especially given recent changes in Disney leadership and the many people repeatedly expressing their disappointment with the reservations system for the past two years.. Also, no other theme park in the Orlando area outside of WDW has a park reservations system so I imagine at some point it will go away..

Considering that Disney manages their own self-imposed park reservations system and sets their own park capacity limits, this doesn't really seem to have had a huge impact on crowd levels, recent trip reports show that the parks remain extremely busy during holiday periods (just like pre-pandemic levels).. Also keep in mind that there are no reservations required for park hopping which also affects crowd levels..

IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if the park reservation system is removed by the time the next NYE rolls around, especially given recent changes in Disney leadership and the many people repeatedly expressing their disappointment with the reservations system for the past two years.. Also, no other theme park in the Orlando area outside of WDW has a park reservations system so I imagine at some point it will go away..
I disagree with this. I think basically at all times except for Christmas/New Years, Disney sets the reservation system allotment high enough so that there's not much difference between the pre-covid attendance levels and a sold out day on any given day. However, I've been there during the holidays before covid and after, and it is definitely less crowded on Christmas Week, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, than it was pre-covid. Don't get me wrong, it's still a 10/10 crowd level, but it's not an "end of the world, can't move around freely, 30 minute wait for the bathrooms" crowd level like it used to be. I suspect that people who are claiming otherwise were not at Magic Kingdom or Epcot on NYE 2017-2019.

We arrived Dec 28th and leave tomorrow (Jan 4th). Compared to our last trip (Dec 29th, 2018-Jan 3rd, 2019) I would say that standby lines feel longer (we never waited as long as we did yesterday at DHS — even with G+) but I find the parks as a whole more manageable this year then 4 years ago. No problem getting a table at QS, no walkway completely blocked by people and lines at carts or cashiers not bad at all.

Looking ahead to next NYE and hoping for Epcot, I'm wondering if the park reservation system had any major change in crowd levels for NYE? If anyone has been this past NYE and in other past.

If I remember correctly, in pre covid years the parks could or have hit capacity and were enormously packed. It was one of those things where you had to be in the park by a certain time or risk not getting in later. With the new park reservation system, and with this year seeming closer to "normal", I would really like to know how this looked in the parks, since I know Epcot park reservations for NYE were gone early.

If you were there in Epcot on NYE, did the park reservation system seem to lower crowds? In comparison to prior year's NYE crowd levels? I know ANY holiday is going to be very crowded, I'm just wondering since Disney gets to control crowd levels ahead of time, if they are actually making it less crowded (less than capacity where they used to phase close) or if they are stuffing people in like always. And how did the park hoppers at 2 pm affect the crowd levels? I know we'll never know exactly how many people is in each prior capacity phase, but Disney does and it's interesting to see how crowded they are willing to let it go.

Going forward to next NYE and if we go, I'm trying to figure out how early we would need to be in Epcot (provided we get a park reservation) and if the park hoppers coming in at 2 affected that. Meaning, even if you had a park reservation for Epcot on NYE, could the park hoppers possibly create a capacity issue where if we decided to go into the park later in the day or leave Epcot and go back, we would be turned away?

TIA!
My kids were park hopping on NYE this year and Epcot was not even that crowded during the day, and they also went to DHS. Neither at capacity. I also didn’t hear about MK being at capacity while I was there, but I am not totally sure. For one of the busiest weeks of the year, I felt like the crowds were very manageable. I’ve seen it way worse on Easter and NYE in past years, and also Thanksgiving 2021 was more crowded feeling than this.

I have nothing to compare it to as this year was my first time at the parks for the week between Christmas and New Years but the parks were crowded but not as horrible as I imagined them to be. There were still some quiet spaces to duck in to and take a breath.

No one can really answer this. We don't know numbers and you'll find different people saying crowds were way better or way worse than in the past. Too many variables to make any sort of prediction whatsoever. The one thing you can say is that there has been no noticeable reduction in line standby times. If anything - based on looking at them this week - they seem slightly higher than in the past. But again - way too many variables to attribute that to any one factor.

I will also say that staffing numbers are almost certainly not at pre-covid levels so I'd expect there may be a fewer number of actual people in the park if all you're talking about is physical bodies - but that does not necessarily translate into lower wait times for rides, food, etc. And at the levels you're looking at during a holiday week - you're just talking gradations of exceptionally crowded.

I was in MK, not EP, and I wasn't ever there before on NYE, but I was pleasantly surprised by the crowds. Of course it was crowded, but I would swear I've seen it more crowded on a random summer day. The party feeling was fun, people seemed to be in a good mood!

No one can really answer this. We don't know numbers and you'll find different people saying crowds were way better or way worse than in the past. Too many variables to make any sort of prediction whatsoever. The one thing you can say is that there has been no noticeable reduction in line standby times. If anything - based on looking at them this week - they seem slightly higher than in the past. But again - way too many variables to attribute that to any one factor.

I will also say that staffing numbers are almost certainly not at pre-covid levels so I'd expect there may be a fewer number of actual people in the park if all you're talking about is physical bodies - but that does not necessarily translate into lower wait times for rides, food, etc. And at the levels you're looking at during a holiday week - you're just talking gradations of exceptionally crowded.
I appreciate you input, however I'm not looking at general crowd levels regarding wait times, food etc. I'm looking at personal opinions of crowd level differences in pre-covid NYE at Epcot and post covid with the park reservation system and how that translates for me into planning on even getting into Epcot on NYE. I'm not asking for crowd predictions, which I know are subjective.

We go to WDW several times a year, pre and post covid, so I know all about, and have experienced, the staffing issues, ride wait times, etc. I'm specifically looking at how the reservation system either improves or hurts our chances of getting into Epcot, including what time we would need to be there, and if park hopping had any effect on the crowd level in Epcot; ie: does it create a capacity situation where people were turned away. Again, specifically in regard to how early/late we would need to arrive or if we had the option of leaving the park for a break and getting back in. It really has to do with capacity, which prior to covid and the park reservation system affected how early to get there. I can navigate WDW pretty well, zig when others zag, and because we go a few times a year I don't feel the need to worry about ride wait times on NYE. I am looking for personal experiences from people who have been there this year and what their experience was with getting into the park with their park reservation and if there were any capacity issues.

A park reservation guarantees you entrance to a park from open to close. If you have a park reservation you will get in.

Also, there was never a time hopping was stopped to any park except for a couple of hours the afternoon of MK’s 50th anniversary when it was stopped for a few hours but then re-opened.

All parks have been full for park reservations much of the past 2 weeks yet never was someone with a reservation denied entry nor hopping stopped.

This one thing can give guests peace of mind who have park reservations
or hopper passes even though they may not like the current system.
I'm VERY glad to read this! Thank you. I don't want to have to get into Epcot at park open just to stay until midnight. And I'm glad the hopping didn't seem to create a capacity issue at Epcot, where people were turned away. I'm hoping that if they continue with the park reservation system (which I personally think Disney will keep for various reasons) that it stays the same where you are basically guaranteed to get in with the reservation you have.

However, I've been there during the holidays before covid and after, and it is definitely less crowded on Christmas Week, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, than it was pre-covid. Don't get me wrong, it's still a 10/10 crowd level, but it's not an "end of the world, can't move around freely, 30 minute wait for the bathrooms" crowd level like it used to be. I suspect that people who are claiming otherwise were not at Magic Kingdom or Epcot on NYE 2017-2019.
Thank you!

We go to WDW several times a year, pre and post covid, so I know all about, and have experienced, the staffing issues, ride wait times, etc. I'm specifically looking at how the reservation system either improves or hurts our chances of getting into Epcot, including what time we would need to be there, and if park hopping had any effect on the crowd level in Epcot; ie: does it create a capacity situation where people were turned away. Again, specifically in regard to how early/late we would need to arrive or if we had the option of leaving the park for a break and getting back in. It really has to do with capacity, which prior to covid and the park reservation system affected how early to get there. I can navigate WDW pretty well, zig when others zag, and because we go a few times a year I don't feel the need to worry about ride wait times on NYE. I am looking for personal experiences from people who have been there this year and what their experience was with getting into the park with their park reservation and if there were any capacity issues.

As I would suspect others have noted - you cannot be turned away with a reservation - if you have a reservation you are already counted in the capacity numbers. That was one of the whole points of a reservation system . . . You made it seem like a far more complex question.

Been doing NYE since 2016 or 2017. I thought last year was maybe just a continuing Covid / capped attendance thing and this year would look more like pre-Covid. Not at all. Gone are the days of massive traffic all around property and barely have room to breathe parks. Nothing about the experience looks like 2019, IMO. The reservation system really changes the approach to the day as people aren’t trying to be there first thing to run the real or perceived risk of a capacity closure. I personally think NYE was a prime example of what Disney wants at certain times - a more manageable crowd level (read, fewer gusts and probably can reduce staffing on the margins) paying the max amount of money (be it room rates, ticket prices, non-blacked out APs, etc).

I mean don’t get me wrong, it was still a plenty stout day in the parks, just feels different than prior years, in my humble opinion.

Thinking about Christmas/New Years week standby times from roughly 2016-2019 when we went pre-Covid, I remember many of the most popular rides regularly posting 3-5 hour waits. :scared:

I thought wait times looked fairly decent this year in comparison.

Been doing NYE since 2016 or 2017. I thought last year was maybe just a continuing Covid / capped attendance thing and this year would look more like pre-Covid. Not at all. Gone are the days of massive traffic all around property and barely have room to breathe parks. Nothing about the experience looks like 2019, IMO. The reservation system really changes the approach to the day as people aren’t trying to be there first thing to run the real or perceived risk of a capacity closure. I personally think NYE was a prime example of what Disney wants at certain times - a more manageable crowd level (read, fewer gusts and probably can reduce staffing on the margins) paying the max amount of money (be it room rates, ticket prices, non-blacked out APs, etc).

I mean don’t get me wrong, it was still a plenty stout day in the parks, just feels different than prior years, in my humble opinion.
You know, I always give the advice to avoid driving during Christmas/New Years week, and just take Disney transportation. But based on this year, I’m not sure that advice is valid anymore. Well, as long as the reservation system is in place anyways.

You made it seem like a far more complex question.
I can't help that you felt that way or that you misunderstood my questions. I thought my questions were pretty clear:
If you were there in Epcot on NYE, did the park reservation system seem to lower crowds? In comparison to prior year's NYE crowd levels? I know ANY holiday is going to be very crowded, I'm just wondering since Disney gets to control crowd levels ahead of time, if they are actually making it less crowded (less than capacity where they used to phase close) or if they are stuffing people in like always. And how did the park hoppers at 2 pm affect the crowd levels?
and
Meaning, even if you had a park reservation for Epcot on NYE, could the park hoppers possibly create a capacity issue where if we decided to go into the park later in the day or leave Epcot and go back, we would be turned away?
You don't feel that way and that's fine. You always have the option to not respond to what may "seem like a far more complex question" and leave it for someone else to respond.
Been doing NYE since 2016 or 2017. I thought last year was maybe just a continuing Covid / capped attendance thing and this year would look more like pre-Covid. Not at all. Gone are the days of massive traffic all around property and barely have room to breathe parks. Nothing about the experience looks like 2019, IMO. The reservation system really changes the approach to the day as people aren’t trying to be there first thing to run the real or perceived risk of a capacity closure
That's what I was wondering, how the reservation system this year, as things are closer to pre-covid "normal", compares to past NYE.

I personally think NYE was a prime example of what Disney wants at certain times - a more manageable crowd level (read, fewer gusts and probably can reduce staffing on the margins) paying the max amount of money (be it room rates, ticket prices, non-blacked out APs, etc).

I agree with this as an example of what Disney wants to do, as far as controlling crowds. Normally I don't like being boxed into a reservation, and I don't like that about the system now. However, with big holidays I can see how it will be helpful, especially compared to capacity and phased closure issues of years past. And even then, the phases played a part in you getting or not, like if you had an ADR or were staying on property, you would have a better chance of getting into a park if there was a phased closure. That factored into how to plan for NYE if you were staying off property, or didn't have an ADR.

You know, I always give the advice to avoid driving during Christmas/New Years week, and just take Disney transportation. But based on this year, I’m not sure that advice is valid anymore. Well, as long as the reservation system is in place anyways.

Yeah, I drove around property around 9am or so. Pretty darn dead, relative to the miles long backups you used to see at that hour heading into MK and Epcot. Later that day I was on the Epcot monorail 2ish and same conditions. I’ve always given your same advice but at least as is it’s become stale, which just seems crazy.

Actually sort of lost some of its appeal for me… one of the things I loved about old NYE was the challenge of it all! 8-)

Actually sort of lost some of its appeal for me… one of the things I loved about old NYE was the challenge of it all! 8-)
Haha! Me too! :teeth:

As crazy as it seems, that last week of the year is by far, my favourite time to go.
I honestly hope the reservation system is gone next year, so we can get back to our regularly scheduled mosh pit of a park. I miss the sea of humanity. Lol.

So, we were at Epcot on NYE. We didn’t get there until 11 am, so cannot speak to first thing crowds. I can say while it was definately very crowded, it was manageable… so maybe better than before. There were lines for all bathrooms I tried after dark..l maybe 5-10 min wait (women). Lines to buy drinks in the countries… again, maybe 5-10 min waits… line for UK silent dance party (since you needed their headphones to join). Dance party in Japan was crowded, but you could join… overall, it was very crowded, but you could get around and have fun… very festive. We would go again (kids are 12 and 15, so not worried about them in big crowds, getting lost, separated).

so, less crowded than pre-COVID.

we used the monorail to ticket and transportatio, and then transfer to the MK resort monorail. Was very manageable… maybe an hour to get back to Contemporary (BLT).

We can compare all 3 levels of NYE Epcot crowds
PreCovid
Covid year (the first year they did it after closure)
and this year Post Covid
All 3 were VERY, VERY different experiences
None come remotely close to crowds PreCovid. Like not even in the same hemisphere.
Last year was so empty it was barely even the same level of excitement. It was so reduced it wasn't fun. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind not waiting on food or bathrooms anywhere but part of the fun of NYE a Epcot if the energy and excitement from the other guests and the party atmosphere in the countries dance parties.
This is was significantly increased. There were some lines for bathrooms. Not massive and long but lines. Lines for food. More energy in the dance parties. More dance parties. Hit pretty big congestion of crowds through the UK when it hit midnight in the UK itself.
Otherwise, it was easy to walk around.

I can also say though, at no point even during preCovid times did you get locked out of entering Epcot. It never hit capacity to the point that guests couldn't get in. I think there's just too much acreage in that park at this point, too much places to put people in their minds at least, so they never hit that point. It was shoulder to shoulder, everywhere. In the past they opened up the grass area where they usually plant flowers for Flower and Garden for seating. They opened up back walk ways. Did a lot of things to move people through. So closing to capacity wasn't needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter