October 19th Cruisers again and again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly,

CONGRATULATIONS JULIE AND GARRY!!!!, Great news about your baby girl!!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

------

Lori - Thankyou for your concern about my current work situation.

On that front I would like to say...

Although I may make out McDonalds it a bit of a nightmare I do actually enjoy working there a lot. I have a lot of great friends there and apart from this last run of shifts I've had, usually my work hours aren't too bad. Also I'm due for promotion soon meaning that I would become a Shift Running manager (able to run the store alone without any other manager being present, corr they must trust me!), I have been told that hopefully during the second quarter of this year I will be sent on my training course for this. So hopefully it should all happen before the summer!

Now, on the subject of Disney. As you all know I absolutly love Disney. I had an absolutly amazing time when I worked at WDW. I spent just under a year there and never wanted to leave, but unfortunatly due to Visa's you can only stay there for one year. So my next option was to go and work for Disney Cruise Line. All I can say about DCL is that it was an experience. DCL is no WDW. While working for DCL it didn't feel like I was working for Disney at all. As far as I'm concerned they treet the crew very badly.

Long hours, Low pay, No respect, No Life. It is no wonder that there is virtually no one from the USA or UK working on-board.

I've probably told you some of this before but to give you an idea of life in the dining room on-board DCL....

1) You work an 85 hour week although you sign a contract in which you agree to work up to 94 hours

2) You get paid $14.50 a week (yes thats forteen dollars and 50 cents), That equates to around 17 cents an hour.

3) Even during your first 2 weeks training where you make no tips at all, they still have the cheek to pay you that!

4) You have to live in the tinyest space ever, and the crew cabins are in serious need of a refit. When I arrived at my cabin it was very dirty. To cupboard in the bathroom was rotting away. The plug in the bathroom didn't work there was just peices of metal hanging out. The carpet in the room was nasty. and the my cabin was so small two people could not pass inside it!

5) You never seem to get much respect from the managers, and they are always wanting you to do more and more. From cleaning that goes from the sublime to the rediculess, to staying later and later after closing time to do extra jobs. Also no matter how hard we worked it often seemed like it wasn't enough.

6) Having to work with crew from certain areas of the world (namely the Phillipines and India [no racism intended]) who will be as nice as anything to there guest but then stab all the other crew in the back. All they care about is the money and nothing else. They will steel your equiptment from you sidestand making your job very difficult. They will push everyone around in the galley. They will try to leave earlier than everyone else after dinner.

7) Even though you are working 85 hours a week, still being expected to find time to - clean your cabin for cabin inspection once a week, attend drills and safety classes (unpaid) virtually every other day, change your costume about 3 times a day at wardrobe, and do all your washing.

8) Having to put up with guests who believe:

A - They've paid so much for there cruise anyway they believe they shouldn't have to tip.
B - We only work dinner and therefore don't deserve the full tip amount.
C - Try to work out the amount were all making in tips and come to a figure that is wrong, and then believe were all rich and therefore we're being tipped to much.

Believe me - many people undertip. But if you think what it would cost you in tips to eat 7 Four course dinner, 7 Three course lunches and 7 breakfasts in a restuarant on land, then $18.75 for you assistant and $25.75 for your server for all the service they provide is really nothing. (I'm sorry I know I really don't need to say this to you all as I know you already understand the importance of tipping and I know you all probably over tip). As long as people left the standard amount we were always more than happy.

*** CONTINUED IN NEXT POST ***

9) Working weeks like this: (Example week APL rotation)

Saturday
-----------
Debarkation breakfast: Start 6:00am Finish: 9:45am
Embarkation Lunch: Start 11:30am Finish: 3:45pm
Guest Drill: Start 3:45pm Finish: 4:30pm
Dinner Start 5:00pm Finish: 11:30pm (ish)

Sunday (Parrot Cay)
---------
Character breakfast: Start 7:45am Finish: 11:00am (ish)
Parrot Cay Lunch: Start 11:30am Finish: 2:45pm (ish)
Dinner: Start 5:15pm Finish: 11:30 (ish)

Monday (Lumieres)
----------
Lumiere's breakfast: Start 7:30am Finish: 10:15/10:30am (ish)
Lumiere's Lunch: Start 11:00am Finish: 2:30/2:45pm (ish)
Dinner: Start 5:15pm Finish: 11:30pm (ish)
[Midnight Snacks Start 10:40pm Finish: 12:20am]*
(* Some people were selected for this)

Tuesday (Topsiders/Animators)
----------
Topsider's breakfast: Start 6:00am Finish: 11:15am
Topsider's Lunch: Start 11:45am Finish: 2:30/2:45pm (ish)
Dinner: Start 5:15pm Finish: 12:00/12:15am (ish)
[US Port next day so later dinner finish]

Wednesday (Parrot Cay)
---------------
Parrot Cay breakfast: Start 7:00/7:30am Finish: 10:00am
Crew Drill: Start 10:00am Finish: 11:30am (ish)
Lunch: *** OFF *** Yeah!

Thursday (Lumiere's)
-----------
Lumiere's breakfast: Start 7:30am Finish: 10:15/10:30am (ish)
Lumiere's Lunch: Start 11:00am Finish: 2:30/2:45pm (ish)
[Midnight Snacks Start 10:40pm Finish: 12:20am]*
(* Some people were selected for this)

Friday (Castaway Cay/Animators)
--------
Breakfast: *** OFF *** Yeah!
Cookie's BBQ Lunch: Start 10:30am* Finish: 3:00/3:15pm (ish)
Dinner: Start 5:15pm Finish: 12:00/12:15am (ish)
* Actually have to be on island at Cookies by this time, means leaving ship at about 10:10am

And then it repeats. This is just an average week (APL rotation, Eastern Itinery). In this schedule I would get 2 meals off. Some weeks we would only get 1 meal off while on certain weeks we might get 3 meals off (one being a breakfast/lunch together). Also a lot of the finish times are approximate, sometimes we wouldn't finish from dinner until after midnight. Also most people would arrive at dinner aound 15/20 minutes early to make sure they had enough time to set everything up.

Summery:
-----------
Firstly sorry for my vent!!! I have now come to the conclusion that even though life may be slightly better in Guest Services on-board, they still work over 70 hours a week for fairly low pay. Also I have had so many nightmares about the ship since I've been home that I've decided I really don't think it's a good idea for me to go back.

I am still in e-mail contact with some of my friends on board. A lot of them are telling me things have even got worse on board since I left and some are leaving very soon.

Also I really don't think I want to work for a company that treats it's employees like this.

At McDonalds I'm treated with great respect, I get on with my store manager excellently and all the management team. It is hard work and we often do work long hours but in the end we do all try to have a good time. Of course we have to deal with a lot of akward and comlaining customers that you wouldn't get in the vacation atmosphere of a cruise line but that's always a nice challenge!!!

Finally:
-------

Please don't let what I've put here stop you from booking and enjoying DCL vacations.

Sorry for any spelling and grammer mistakes! :wave:

Woops....

I just read the posts back and realised that it sounds as if what I have put is directed back at Lori for her post!!!

Sorry Lori!!! That was not what it was intended for! I really appriciated your comments and concern and it is so nice to know people care about me so much.

I have just been meaning to post this on this board to get it off my chest! and have a good vent!!!

----------------------
P.S. If you haven't received a DCDMP CD from me, please tell me and I'll send another one out to you.

Oh, and I have nearly finished DCDMP version 2!!! More details to come...:earsboy:

We on this thread know how hard the servers work...hence we probably all overtip. I am appalled to think that others undertip! I didn't think it was that prevalent on DCL...in my naïveté I thought all overtipped.

You are better off working on dry land. Hey! With your computer talents did you ever consider going to school in that area??? I got your CD and downloaded the program...great job!! One suggestion...next time give the progam box the ability to minimize. I knew there was a reason I made myself your American mom...you are a techy at heart!!

Darren, I'd like the CD. And don't worry about venting. That's what we are all here for to hear each others thoughts and supports each other however we need to. I knew working on DCL or any cruise line would not be a piece of cake. It is obviously very hard work and very long hours. But, at least you have that on your resume now and that sure does look good.

Hi, Bonnie. Do you have to go back to work tomorrow? I hope you have gotten most of your strength back. I'll be watching the game today (Eagles or Packers, it doesn't matter. We're ready!!!) Sorry, I was supposed to bite my tongue:p LOL

Think I'll go to the gym today. Went yesterday and got a little workout in. I have gained about 5 pounds in the past 6 weeks and need to get it off.

Later!

Thankyou Bonnie & Susan for your support!

Bonnie - You know it's funny you should mention that minimizing issue! As soon as I had sent the CD's out I went back to the program and realised that I'd overlooked the minimize button and then I started to realize how annoying it was not to have it.

So I can only appologise about that! I have solved the problem in version 2, but maybe I will e-mail out a fix for version 1 that has the minimize button.

All the input you can give me is gratefully appriciated Bonnie.

Susan - Woops I hope I didn't overlook you when I sent the CD's out (how could I do a thing like that!), I will send you a copy right away.

Hello all!

Julie: Glad to hear everything went fine after that epsiode and that little Brooke has taken to home without difficulty. Try to catch up on your sleep so we can come visit the new Princess!
I need to brag to everyone that I got to see her, you know!

Darren: I knew working a cruise ship was a lot of hard work and mostly unappreciated. I can understand you not wanting to go back at this time. Maybe you will get another chance to work at WDW in the future.

Patty: Let us know about your daughter. Glad to see you checking in. How about doing it more often?

I am soooo tired. You would think I have the newborn at home. I really hope the blood tests come back with hypothyroidism so I have an answer and an "easy" fix. I really want to feel human again.

We finally got around to watching part of our WDW Christmas video. It was too bad that Kaleigh didn't enjoy the parade or any other part. If anyone needs to blackmail Bonnie or Joyce, I have them dancing together at the parade. Hoping to watch the rest tonight, starting with Wishes.

GO Eagles!! Look Out Carolina Panthers!!! Yea!!!!

THis is going to be fun Sue!!!!

Denine- I will never learn to just be still when cameras are about!

Congrats Eagles!! Looking forward to next Sunday night. I'll be watching the game from Charleston.
Go Panthers!!!
CAR.gif

Wow, I about fell off my chair. Patty aka Patti posted. Sorry about your SIL's death. Let's hear from you more often. We don't need anymore lurkers. We seem to have plenty of those.....and you know who you are! ;)

Darren, I am so pleased that you felt that you could vent. You can do that anytime about anything with us. That is what we are all about here on the thread. We are here for each other through thick or thin!!!! I knew that it was not going to be a piece of cake on the ship. Talking to a few cast members we kind of caught the drift of what was happening. Maybe it was "in the cards" as to why they didn't offer you the guest services or retail jobs. It did work out for YOU in the end. As I type Ted is beginning to do more with the old vs new computer so hopefully I can get your CD up and going. I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER to hear your CD. Heidi is pretty ansy also. After reading on the boards, I am not surprised that people stiff the CM's on the tips. I am soooo appalled at peoples opinions of tips onboard the ship! The CM's so deserve them. I also feel that the stateroom host/hostesses deserve extra also. I will get off my soapbox. I guess I can get as worked up as you do!

Julie and Brooke. Welcome home. Wow, Julie. What a delivery. At least everyone is doing great! Tired will be in your vocabulary for quite some time now.

Denine, funny you should mention the parade. I was wondering if you guys could dub your copy of it for me. We, like dummies, didn't bring the camera with us. I taped the parade on Christmas morning but really would rather have a homemade version of it. That way it would be without commentaries and commercials. I could pay you for it if you would like. Ted also did a fantastic job on Wishes. I could swap with you if you would be interested in Wishes. I know Jerry taped it but I remember him saying something about the battery or tape. We also taped the show on the travel channel that Garry told us about. Something like Holidays at WDW. It was wonderful. I really enjoyed that show and have watched it several times now. I think you are wrong unless you were being funny. Kaleigh enjoyed every minute of the parade just like every character IN the parade loved HER. She certainly is a DISNEY baby. Sounds like it was passed onto Brooke in the womb, too. Sorry that you are still so tired. I hope they get it all straightened out for you.

Susan, I can't talk football. Broncos took a nosedive last Sunday. I tell you. They are a strange bunch of players!

I hear that it is cold out most of your way. It is so pleasant here. We were playing around on a RV lot yesterday and I found myself searching out the SHADE. How strange for a day in January.

Bonnie, I saw the trailer on Calendar Girls. It did look funny. I would like to see Cold Mountain, also. We saw Cheaper by the Dozen with Steve Martin. What was the other movie, Heidi?

Having lunch with mom tomorrow and getting my eyes checked on Wednesday. Nothing else going on. Hopefully we can begin to "find" our house again.

I better get off the computer and perhaps Ted can work on them. Poor guy has so many projects going. I really feel for him here at home AND at work. Love you, mean it.

Welcome home Julie and Brooke. Keep up the homefront Garry. Maybe you will be a champ and actually get up in the middle of the night. (haha, from this homefront).

Darren: So informative, love the cd!!! David and I can't believe why anyone would endure so much for so little. I was a waitress for about 6 years, but got good tips. I can't imagine if every second or third table didn't tip at all.Geeeez. Go back to WDW, they need people like you. So does Mickey Dees though also...
Thanks so much for thinking of all of us and the cd.

Denine, hope they do find something, so you can feel better soon.

Sandy, hope Ted does wonders on your computer, David fixed my cd burner this weekend. We saw Cheaper by the Dozen with Clare on Saturday and thought it was a really cute, wholesome movie. Good rental for the rest of you out there.

Glad to see all of you "lurkers" out there posting

We will be staying (so far) at Homewood Suites on International Drive, for our May trip. My father is an orthodontist and has a convention at the convention center. We have tix to Cirque one night and to Universal Studios for another. I think we will do MK and AK with Clare. Any suggestions??? Haven't ever been to AK, what do you all think??? I think staying off property will be o.k. with just going to 2 parks. And we have transportation to the "events". We also are getting a good deal on tix past 2p.m. Anyone have any experience with these???

Sorry to post so much, just missed you all.

Krista

Mom the other movie we saw was "Something's Gotta Give." That was a good movie. I liked that one better than Cheaper by the dozen.

Congratulations Julie and Gary. Babies are so much fun, I found that out working at a daycare for what seemed to be most of my life!!!

Good Morning!!

I am back at work and caught up on the board. I spent a good deal of time yesterday working on the plans for the next trip in October....Ahhhhh Disney.....

Happy Belated Birthday Mom!! I forgot to mention it when I posted last. As soon as I logged off I remembered but Patty's home computer takes about 10 minutes to come up and I needed to run.

I LOVE the idea of Sandy and Heidi coming down and going to Fargos. Lets do it!! I really want to meet Heidi. I have heard so much about her.

Julie and Garry CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love the name Brooke cute cute cute!!!

Glad you are better Bonnie!!

Darren thanks for filling us in on the undertipping. I will make sure we over tip next time. I know too many people that feel exactly what you said about tipping.

Patty-Glad you posted. I miss reading your posts. Even though I talk to you every day I still look forward to reading them.

Susan Sounds like you are keeping busy with Hockey. Keep us posted on his games.

Joyce-Dancing on Main Street eh?? How cute is that! Would love to see the video.

Sandy if you do complete the CD on our Disney family can I get a copy??

Krista-Can I go to Disney with you??

Love you guys!!

Barb:smooth:

Sandy: Yes. I was kidding about Kaleigh. We took some video of her enjoying the parade and we just laughed. She was beside herself when Pooh and friends were coming! I will see about dubbing the tape. We didn't finish watching it yet. We watched American Dreams and Law & Order CI instead.

Movies? What are those?

Krista: If Clare likes animals, she will like AK. There is quite a bit for kids her age to do.

Barb: So glad to have you back. Planning the trips is so much fun. Although, we are still trying to decide whether to drive or fly next month! Flying is sooo expensive, especially when you add in parking at the airport, tickets, rental car. Yikes! :earseek: So, do we spend the money to get there faster or drive again and hope that Kaleigh does better this trip? It is so hard to justify the cost on transportation!

Not much else going on here. I slept a lot this weekend and still need more sleep. I told Jerry he is lucky I am showered and dressed and that he shouldn't complain if I am wearing sweats all the time. In reality, he knows how tired I have been,

The chimney sweep is coming this afternoon to clean the fireplace.

I still need to take down the rest of the Christmas decorations. I was going to do it this weekend, but it didn't happen.

Man, I'm off for a week or so and SO much to read.
Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS Julie and Garry!!!! Frightening story about the drug effects. I'm SO (or in Barb's words... so so so) glad that you are all home and OK now!

Darren ... WOW. What a rotten way to treat such hard working employee's. Having nightmares from a job is definitely a clue. Sorry for the pushiness, I was still thinking you really wanted to get back on, but now I can see why you don't. Oh, and I didn't take your venting personally AT ALL. As said, we are here as a team.

I filled in for a full time tech last week. The house, bills, etc., went downhill fast. I'm running behind on everything. Gotta play videographer at the school for the next 3 days. For literacy week they have authors coming in each day to talk to the kids and do book signings. Then Wed. night is a big shin-dig that Katie's choir will be singing at (same time as Cody's Scout meeting of course) and on and on it goes.

Hope you feel better soon Denine.
Good to read up on you all. Catch'ya later.

THe other boards just do not seem as friendly and helpful as they used to be...

Maybe I am just spoiled with you all.

One question: When you all ate together at WL over Christmas, did any of you drive in. I guess my question is about parking at the various hotels. Is this o.k.? Can you stay for awhile? Could we take the launch to MK from WL?

K

Hi Krista

You can't park at the Hotels unless you are staying there. They give you a parking pass that gets you in and out of the parking lot. I think they will make an exception if you have reservations for a Charater Breakfast. Then your name appears on a list at the gate they will give you a 2 hour pass.

You might consider parking at the transportation center and taking the buses or other forms of transportation to the hotels.
You will have to pay for parking unless you are staying on Disney.

Hope that helps.

Barb:smooth:

Sue, Paul and Turner parked at WL when we had lunch together. They could answer your question as to how they did it or what kind of questions they had to answer etc... Prior to 911 it was never a problem...all you had to do was tell them you were going to a restaurant or as in my case the Boardwalk and it wasn't a problem. I have only stayed onsite since then.

Still fighting with the disability people...my manager and myself can't believe what I am going through with them...of course the plot thickens...not only was the appendix gangrenous but I also had an abcess on my colon!!! Amazing what you find out!!! Anyway...here I sit!!!

How is the Lauter family doing????

When are we opening the Christmas exchange???Has anyone peeked yet...Sandy? Jeanne??

Real funny, Bonnie. No, I didn't peek, YET. If I wait any longer I WILL !! If it isn't one thing for you, it is another. So now what does that mean for the abcess? Does something need to be done? So, by your post I gather you did not go back to work yet this week either. Hang in there. You can beat the disability people.

Lori, I was wondering where you were. Thought that perhaps you were busy with cookies instead of popcorn. :D Wow, those kids sure keep hopping!

Barb, I thought that a weekend trip to Co Spgs would be great. I will give you time to rest up and then let's set a date. Ted will definitely come, too. Maybe Bob could make it too. Barb, if and when I get the CD done, I would be more than happy to burn one for you too.

Sorry Krista, no advice here. Never drove to WDW. Rented a car once and left it at the hotel. I do know one thing, no matter what you do, you will have a TERRIFIC time. Your itinerary sounds great. Now you know how we feel when you don't post for awhile. You are missed too. Your post was not to long.

Denine, so sorry about talking about movies. I am sure you haven't seen a movie in about a year and a couple of months. But.....isn't it worth it? How about chronic fatigue syndrome? I was watching Golden Girls this morning and it was about Chronic fatigue syndrome and I thought of you.

Heidi, that was it. Something's Gotta Give. I agree with you. It was better than Cheaper by the Dozen. Did you read Barb's post? She wants to go to FARGOS too.

Garry and Julie must be exhausted. No posts today. Remember those first few days. What a zoo! Everyone wanting to come by and see the babies (oops, baby. I always think plural) and trying to get into a new routine.

Ted wants the computer so I better get off. See you all on the flip side.
:wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter