"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

To the adult-only groups on this thread, why do YOU go to MNSSHP? Let me preface this by saying I'm a MNSSHP veteran and have been too many times to count. However, dh is trying VERY hard to convince me not to go this year. We used to love the trick or treating, shows and ambiance. We don't wait in lines to meet the characters, but we do walk by the popular ones and try to take some pictures. We've gotten some pretty good ones over the years. Our pics of J & S last year were terrific. Anyway, this brings us to this year. Due to health reasons, we won't be trick or treating if we do decide to go. We wouldn't get the allergy friendly stuff either, so no treats. Dh is tired of the shows/parade/fireworks. He enjoys them all immensely, but feels like we've 'been there, done that' after several consecutive years. I've read about the upcoming changes to some of the rides (i.e. Space & Pirates), but I don't think that's enough to convince him to go again. I'm waiting for reviews from the first couple parties to decide. Since this party is my favorite special event in Disney, I wanted to ask fellow adults on this thread why do YOU go? Looking for a little inspiration. ;)

This year is easy to answer that question, They have new offerings and effects to two rides. That alone makes me want to go see something that I can't see if I wasn't going.

2 quick questions:

1) During the party, can you see wait times on MDE? Just thinking I might want to look at trends if wait times for SM, PotC, etc. from home before I go to the party. I’m going to the second to last party so I’m expecting longer waits.

2) Is there usually a MNSSHP special Christmas ornament? It’s tradition to get an ornament each time we go so I am hoping for something special.

Yes, wait times will show up on the app during parties, although they’re often at their base/default time for much of the night. Eg, IASW will show 5 or 10 mins, but that really means it’s a walk-on.

Sometimes there aren’t enough people in line and the app will show some odd results. Like every ride will be 5 or 10 mins and Astro Orbitor will be 45 - that’s a sure sign something is amiss.

But they’re still a reasonable go-by to see trends in my opinion.

This year is easy to answer that question, They have new offerings and effects to two rides. That alone makes me want to go see something that I can't see if I wasn't going.
Sorry if I missed this...what two rides will have different effects?

I have the dessert party booked but started to wonder if it would be better to add a second Halloween party and skip the dessert party. Its not that much more to be able to go to another party from the dessert party.

I have the dessert party booked but started to wonder if it would be better to add a second Halloween party and skip the dessert party. Its not that much more to be able to go to another party from the dessert party.

Me personally I would do a second Halloween party. But I am sure you will get some who would keep the dessert party.

Me personally I would do a second Halloween party. But I am sure you will get some who would keep the dessert party.

I don't know why it never donned on me that I am basically paying for one party and 2/3 of the price of another party for the value of booking it. It is starting to make me really think.

Two parties all the way for me. I’ve done it twice now and honestly, until coming around the DIS I was pretty sure I was the only one crazy enough to do two.

But having done it, we find it really enhances our enjoyment of the parties. We can take our time and focus on certain things, be flexible, etc.

Not sure I can pull it off this year given our potential fall travel schedules, but I’m kind of itching to do it again.

I am adding Pirates to our plan. Have to make sure we get on for Gunpowder Pete, whatever that ends up being.

I am going to figure it out and then post it on the itinerary thread; I think must dos, in no order, are sorcerer’s card, Pirates, a couple trick or treating spots (including tiki room), haunted mansion, thunder mountain if open, boo to you parade and hallowishes (have terrace dessert party, pre-change), and the oogie boogie popcorn bucket (if they have it). Then, if enough time the cadaver dans, some photos, and/or rides with low lines.

We will be part of the first souls crew and will report back!

Two parties all the way for me. I’ve done it twice now and honestly, until coming around the DIS I was pretty sure I was the only one crazy enough to do two.

But having done it, we find it really enhances our enjoyment of the parties. We can take our time and focus on certain things, be flexible, etc.

Not sure I can pull it off this year given our potential fall travel schedules, but I’m kind of itching to do it again.

So I will be there over a two week span. Would you do one each week or two on the same week?

So I will be there over a two week span. Would you do one each week or two on the same week?

Two weeks? Then heck yeah I'd be doing two parties! :-)

Not sure what party day options you have, but if it were me I'd be picking certain days of the week as a first priority and trying to space it out as a second priority. It probably does make some sense to space it out if it works in your schedule.

I would do the second party. Fireworks can be seen in more places than just the hub and you’ll have 2 chances to see them

Two weeks? Then heck yeah I'd be doing two parties! :-)

Not sure what party day options you have, but if it were me I'd be picking certain days of the week as a first priority and trying to space it out as a second priority. It probably does make some sense to space it out if it works in your schedule.

I am going to be there Oct 8th to Oct 11th then leave for a cruise Oct 11th to Oct 14th. Then back at Disney Oct 14th to Oct 20th. I have tickets to the party on Oct 16th right now.

I am going to be there Oct 8th to Oct 11th then leave for a cruise Oct 11th to Oct 14th. Then back at Disney Oct 14th to Oct 20th. I have tickets to the party on Oct 16th right now.

If this were me, I'd plan to attend a party during this time Oct 8th to Oct 11th. I wouldn't purchase tickets for the second party but definitely pencil it in. If you end up with inclement weather on the first party you would have the ability to switch days during the second half of your trip without additional money from your pocket. These tickets won't sell out either and you can monitor what's going on during the cruise.

Again I'm not sure why some people got refunds or other compensation while others didn't. In my experience and from reading all the posts these past few years, Disney has always been very generous so I don't know what went wrong last year.

I'm waiting until a couple days before my intended date to buy our tickets so I can be fairly sure we'll get decent weather. If it's rainy, I have a backup date in mind. I'm not even telling the kids we're going until then. But I'm fairly local so this is easy for me to do.

Last year was going to be a very busy one for my family so we decided to skip buying APs that year. I really missed Disney and was sad that I would not get to take my traditional birthday trip in December. I decided to take the kids to a MNSSHP in September to get a little taste of Disney.

The weather was horrible. Rain, rain, rain. Of course I didn't blame Disney for the rain, but what was bad was the lack of organization. NOTHING happened on schedule but none of the CMs had any idea what was going on. We waited for a parade that never happened (well, it happened, long after we gave up and left), as well as the Hocus Pocus show and the fireworks. At least for the fireworks they made announcements regarding the postponement so we didn't stand there waiting for long, and then gave another announcement later with a ten-minute warning that fireworks would be beginning soon, so everyone could rush to get back into fireworks-viewing position.

Even worse than CMs having no information was when they gave wrong information. At midnight, when the final Hocus Pocus show was supposed to start, I asked a CM if it was still going to occur and was told that it had been cancelled, so we left, only to hear later that it did go on around 12:30. We would have stayed had we known. Anyway, we missed Hocus Pocus, the parade, plus a lot of characters who were not out due to the rain. We never could find the Cadaver Dans where they were supposed to be. We did get to see the fireworks, and we saw Madame Carlotta, and we got some candy, and we rode some rides, and we enjoyed seeing people's costumes. We actually did have a really good time, it just wasn't what I was expecting, as we missed so many of the party events.

I had never before felt the need to write a letter to Disney--I'd never had much of anything to complain about--but I wrote in about this. I was not trying to get compensation, I just wanted to offer some constructive criticism. I think they could have handled the rain much better if they'd made announcements like they did about the fireworks, so guests could know when things were being postponed, and when they were about the occur. So I pretty much said what I've stated in this post. I received an apologetic email along with 1-day passes for my entire family, even for my husband who did not attend the party with us. I thought that was very nice of them, and I got to spend my birthday at Disney after all!

But this year I want the chance to experience the full party, haha! I want to see those Cadaver Dans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter