*** Official November 2018 Thread - It's Turkey Lurkey Time! ***

::yes::
We took my MIL to Disney/Florida once. ONCE. In 2007 which was our boys' 2nd trip there and we also had my 2 stepsons. We were offsite using our timeshare so we had 4 bedrooms, 2 full kitchens, she was in a lock-off. When we landed we went to a grocery store. DH and I separated from MIL and when we caught up, she had like 20 lbs of ground beef and all the stuff to make gravy and meatballs along with chicken cutlets, mussels. We were like um..............what are you doing? She planned on cooking for us most nights :confused3 So we told her we didn't really plan on being there every night, we wanted to eat out (we don't cook on vacation) and she said, "I have a kitchen, I'm not paying to eat out!"
And she didn't. She only came out with us once to eat breakfast and spent one day at the resort making gravy which the boys had periodically during the trip. Then another day we were at mini golf around lunch time so we ate there and she was pissy, asking why we didn't just go back to the room and then come back to golf since she had cold cuts and cutlets there. I know that doesn't sound all that bad but since we only bring things like granola bars, energy bars, and chips for the boys, that was our last vacation with her lol!

Boma is getting lots of love this Thanksgiving :goodvibes

I remember as a kid my grandma took us on two trips to the shore (NJ here) before my teen years. Both times my aunt and uncle came with my cousin...my dad didn't come, my parents weren't together. Once in a house and once in a motel with a kitchenette. My grandma did all out groceries and decided she was cooking everyday. My uncle told her over and over that she didn't have to cook. That we could order pizza, he would grill, we could do sandwiches, etc. NOPE....she insisted on cooking. I don't think she ever went to the beach with us the entire trip because she wanted to play the martyr/victim and tell us she had to stay behind so she could prepare lunch/dinner or whatever she had in mind. Some days we wouldn't eat what she made because we would be at the beach or us kids would want pizza so my uncle would order us pizza. It was vacation....we didn't want to eat our typical dinners we eat every other day! Oh man I remember the constant bickering those two vacations. That was over 20 years ago and she still talks about how we "took her on vacation" but made her cook the entire time. LOL

Needless to say I don't vacation with my grandma anymore. I would love to bring her to Disney, she does love Disney, but we would just constantly argue. My kids love my grandma. They spend tons of time with her. They go to her house 3 days a week on their own just to visit her and hang out with her but they have both said they do not want to do a family vacation with her.

Yeah, so DH and I showed MIL all of the places we were eating, along with prices. Then I told her what I do is buy discounted Disney gift cards so it's basically pre-paid, plus we get an AP discount (and we'll be buying TIW for this trip so we'll save even more.) So, we made her buy $500 worth of gift cards so she can pay for her food by paying towards the room bill. Most of our meals are at buffets or family-style places so she can't cheap out and try to order a side instead of a real meal.
She was really excited that I saved her money by buying the gift cards at 8% off at BJ's though.
We're already paying for her flight and ticket, and paid for the extras like dessert parties we're attending.
She won't have access to a grocery store so won't be able to buy her own groceries to cook in the room :)

We will be at Boma at 4 pm. We made the first part of the day a free day so not sure if we will just watch the Macy’s Parade or if we will go to a park or play mini golf at Winter Summerland but did book a 2 pm FP for NRJ.
I just saw this! I remember you've eaten there for Thanksgiving before; we will almost definitely be there when you arrive since our reservation is at 3 :goodvibes

she wanted to play the martyr/victim and tell us she had to stay behind so she could prepare lunch/dinner or whatever she had in mind
Um are you Italian :rotfl2: I ask because I am & MIL is, and that line fits her & the majority of mine & DH's older relatives lol. And I'm sure she's wonderful!
She won't have access to a grocery store so won't be able to buy her own groceries to cook in the room :)
Definitely a plus :laughing:

I just saw this! I remember you've eaten there for Thanksgiving before; we will almost definitely be there when you arrive since our reservation is at 3 :goodvibes

Um are you Italian :rotfl2: I ask because I am & MIL is, and that line fits her & the majority of mine & DH's older relatives lol. And I'm sure she's wonderful!

Definitely a plus :laughing:

LOL No we are Puerto Rican but I swear this is typical of older Latin women. Especially in my circles. We share these stories all of the time. :rotfl:

That was over 20 years ago and she still talks about how we "took her on vacation" but made her cook the entire time. LOL

She must be because that sounded like a classic Italian grandmother guilt trip that my grandma likes to give. lol

@areno79 smart move having her buy discounted gift cards.

I received one of the dresses I bought for the cruise today. It's cute but it doesn't look like a resort type dress. It's more fallish. I want to wear it with leggings and boots. Maybe the weather here is affecting how I feel. Hopefully the other 2 dresses that are coming work better for a cruise.

So I'm trying something new for this trip....and it arrived yesterday. A fanny pack! I'm so excited! I get so frustrated holding anything and tired of carrying a backpack or over the shoulder bag. Yay!

I always have a fanny pack no matter where we travel. It’s great! We still do have a backpack as well to hold things.

This thread makes me laugh! My family is the exact opposite, they'd rather eat out at every meal, and I'm telling them we have to eat at the house for all of the breakfasts and some of the lunches (we go the parks early afternoon and stay till closing), and that we can do dinners out. They'd like to eat all meals out, but as I'm paying, they get stuck doing what I want. :flower1:

That being said, we won't cook fancy meals. Just eggs, sandwiches, burgers. Nice easy stuff that requires little work.

For those who will be there on Thanksgiving, where is everyone eating their big meal of the day? We have ADR at 6pm at Boma. Thursday is our "resort day" so we will spend the day enjoying the resort, maybe resort hop a bit and enjoy the decorations, etc. If we have time, maybe go to Disney Springs.

Akershus. First time. "Thankful" it is one of the locations that will have traditional (turkey and dressing) just in case "Taste of Norway" isn't everyone's favorite.

For those who will be there on Thanksgiving, where is everyone eating their big meal of the day? We have ADR at 6pm at Boma. Thursday is our "resort day" so we will spend the day enjoying the resort, maybe resort hop a bit and enjoy the decorations, etc. If we have time, maybe go to Disney Springs.

We are having our Thanksgiving meal at Boma also. We will be at AK so it will be short drive over for dinner then we will see how we feel if we head back to AK or to our room.

Our Magic Bands shipped! It’s getting close.

If anyone is looking for FoP FP+, I noticed some more popping up today. Guessing people who cancelled before their package total was due. I specifically saw several times on Tues 11/27. Afternoon and evening, for up to 6 people. I’m still trying for a morning one that day (we have it at night later in the week) so I’m continuing to stalk. But I’ve seen as early as 1:20 and as late as 6:30.

We got our magic bands today! Do you not get the luggage tags anymore? They used to be under the holder, and we didn't get any.

One week till we are back at Disney!!!!

Anyone else go into super crazy cleaning mood before vacations?

I usually do but this trip the boys are staying home so I see no point. LOL

My SO is very good about cleaning up after himself but my DS18 can be hit or miss. We actually did a deep cleaning last weekend so everything is pretty much good to go. I'm sure my SO will clean the house the weekend I come home and will make sure DS pitches in.

My luggage tags came separate. Are you referring to the yellow stickers?
No, the identification tags that corresponds with the magic bands. They have images of the characters on them. They must not give those out anymore. My youngest DD finally has her own suitcase and was excited to put it on her suitcase.

We got our magic bands today! Do you not get the luggage tags anymore? They used to be under the holder, and we didn't get any.

If you are talking the hard plastic ones with pictures of characters, I think you only get those if you book a package.

Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner on Thanksgiving night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter