• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

Jim, I would enjoy the chance to meet you. We are spending Saturday night at Lake Louisa SP only 30 minutes away and I expect to cruise into the Fort 630-700am fully expecting to have to wait for my site until sometime that morning. Trails End brunch is also later that day but in between we can make time. Assuming you aren't exhausted after your week of family fun - WOW. So we can make that happen.

Your approach to the family gathering is a good one. You said other than a group photo and a group meal or two, everyone is free to vacation at their own pace. That's a good way for everyone to keep their sanity.

October is shaping up to be a really fun month.

Bama Ed

Sounds good, I'm sure we will figure something out. Not sure what time I will be dropping the golf cart off with Kenny yet (last time I want to say I met them around 7a) but should know more of my time frame in the next couple weeks. Hopefully @TheRustyScupper could make it as well and it would also be great to meet him and say thanks for all he does here.

With us having been there 3 times with our DD we know how magical a place Disney is and can be, especially for first timers and even more so when those first timers are kids. I want to make sure that everyone gets their own "magic" and has memories of not just the entire group, but also memories with just their own family. Besides I didn't want to be responsible for every moment for every person :) With most everybody going only until Thur the 3 of us plus my mom and cousin if she joins us those days will have a nice few days alone at the end. Though I do wish everybody else was going the entire time. I have a feeling they will kick themselves after and wish they had stayed longer. Hopefully next trip they will :) Now just anxiously awaiting the October Rec Calendar, hopefully will be out in a few days so we can plan our nights at The Fort.

3 weeks 2 days, or whatever it says when you are reading this in my counter below, left and 15 working days left until we are Home again.

Todays countdown scavenger hunt clue. I'm getting so excited! 6 more days!!! Got my green disboard mickey head printed yesterday. Going to the grocery store this weekend to get food for the trip, getting laundry caught up and going to start packing clothes Sunday.

20170928_075334-1512x2016 (2).jpg

Safe trips @serenitygr. We plan to stay on the Walmart parking lots too. You're so sweet to find humor in the construction workers, me? Nope! Rage ;)

@ruthies12 girl, where do you find the time for this? Oh, and a mirror. Am I correct?

Safe trips @serenitygr. We plan to stay on the Walmart parking lots too. You're so sweet to find humor in the construction workers, me? Nope! Rage ;)

@ruthies12 girl, where do you find the time for this? Oh, and a mirror. Am I correct?

I'm impressed that she found humor in that situation too, cause I would have been beside myself with anger. I do not do well with no sleep!

You are correct!! It is a mirror. You win the all expense paid trip to Grand Floridian that Teamubr wanted so bad :rotfl2:

I'm self employed and work from home at a very boring job that doesn't require a lot of thought lol so I sit and think up this kind of crap. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job, I really do, but it is very boring with lots of time for my mind to wander and dream about Disney......

Last night about 9:30 pm we went thru Nashville, and decided to look online for a campground to stay at. ( my husband is a truck driver and knows the Walmarts down here can be iffy on if you can stay or not) we were so lucky! The second campground we called answered the phone- it was the Texas T in Tennessee- it happened to be just off the freeway ten minutes ahead of where we were at the time!
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG
Awesome little campground with super nice people- so glad we found them. So we got a load of laundry done this morning- had a nice visit with some campers who had a Mickey lamppost ( they used to be on the DIS board but aren't now), and now we're on the road again! Going through Alabama in just 3 more miles and hoping to make it to the wolf preserve by tonight!

Nice serenitygr, although I have never camped with the Wolves in Florida, I have tent camped with them in Colorado. Not on purpose, it's just that we were in their territory for a couple of nights.

I've stayed at Texas T before, it is a very nice campground! We were just there in July on our way down to Destin.

If you decide you need to stop again while still in Alabama there is a nice campground called Montgomery South that is also just off the highway and an easy in and out.

Last night about 9:30 pm we went thru Nashville, and decided to look online for a campground to stay at. ( my husband is a truck driver and knows the Walmarts down here can be iffy on if you can stay or not) we were so lucky! The second campground we called answered the phone- it was the Texas T in Tennessee- it happened to be just off the freeway ten minutes ahead of where we were at the time!
Just curious. How are you going to the Fort. The campground looks really nice, but when I looked it up, I saw it is off of I-65. And then I saw your comment about on the way to Destin.

I've heard other people avoid I-24/I-75 because of Mont Eagle and Atlanta, but if your husband is an OTR driver, neither of those should bother him.

j

Just curious. How are you going to the Fort. The campground looks really nice, but when I looked it up, I saw it is off of I-65. And then I saw your comment about on the way to Destin.

I've heard other people avoid I-24/I-75 because of Mont Eagle and Atlanta, but if your husband is an OTR driver, neither of those should bother him.

j
We're coming in on 65 now and heading to chipley Florida- that's where the wolf preserve is. We'll leave there Saturday evening and stay at a KOA about an hour from the Fort. Then get to the Fort close to 6am Sunday :rainbow:

We're coming in on 65 now and heading to chipley Florida- that's where the wolf preserve is. We'll leave there Saturday evening and stay at a KOA about an hour from the Fort. Then get to the Fort close to 6am Sunday :rainbow:
I saw you were going to the wolf preserve, but thought it was more towards central Florida.

Have a great trip. The Fort is ready and waiting for you.

j

IMG_4657.JPG
We made it!! Checked into a campground tonight just 5-10 minutes into Florida . It's called the Hitchin Post Corral and campground in Cottondale. It's too dark to see much, but it definitely feels like northern Minnesota camping- sitting outside by the campfire tonight- surrounded by trees and just the quiet of the night- I noticed tonight that the moon has stayed next to us every night while we've been driving :love::love:

We're hoping to head to the wolf center campground tomorrow fairly early and leave the camper there - then go to Panama City for the day. We'll see how the morning goes....

We are looking forward to our trip to the Fort. We usually stay at Shades of Green since it is such a good deal for us, but now that we have an RV I wanted to experience camping at Disney World, and the family is getting super excited. We just upsized from a 24' class C to a 32', and it will be nice to have the extra living space.

We will depart early on Friday the 13th (scary!) from MD. Planning to get to GA the first day and then check in at the Fort early afternoon on the 14th. Any recommendations on places to spend the night between Savannah and Jacksonville?

IMG_4673.JPG Friday morning and on our way to drop off the camper at the wolf preserve- then heading to Panama City to play tourist for the day! Absolutely loved our little campground last night and really hope they become a success! I'll post a few campground pictures, even tho it's not the Fort- in case anyone is ever looking for a place to stay for the night in this area!
IMG_4672.JPG
IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG

Nice looking campground. I'll definitely add that one to my list.

That tape electric fence brings back memories. We had a girl that cut my hair for a long time. She worked out of a shop in town until the owner sold out. She moved her business to her home where she also raised horses. While DW or DS were getting their hair cut, I would go out and pet the horses. She always have the "fence" turned off so leaning in against it was no problem... until the one time she didn't have it turned off. Let's just say my chest and calves hurt for a few weeks.

j

Well the die has been cast we may try for Sunday and Mon Oct 8 and 9 as we will be leaving Tampa with our new to Us coach and being so close where better to test her out Only right now all they have are premium sites hopefully a full hook up will open up

Nice looking campground. I'll definitely add that one to my list.

That tape electric fence brings back memories. We had a girl that cut my hair for a long time. She worked out of a shop in town until the owner sold out. She moved her business to her home where she also raised horses. While DW or DS were getting their hair cut, I would go out and pet the horses. She always have the "fence" turned off so leaning in against it was no problem... until the one time she didn't have it turned off. Let's just say my chest and calves hurt for a few weeks.

j

usmbk.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter