OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

Saturday morning update! Yesterday was a beautiful day! We set up camp at the wolf preserve and then headed to Panama City. Joe happens to have a relative who lives there so we stopped at their house first and visited for an hour. They gave us the inside scoop on a big lobster festival that was happening at a place called Schooners on the beach, and we also got the address for a nearby Golden Corral. ( because our family loves buffets, and we're not really picky about food) :rolleyes::)

I've got to mention our journey to the wolf center- the GPS did get us here but it had its own way of doing it. We started on a freeway- went to a small rural paved road- that turned into a narrow dirt road- and then it had us turn onto an even narrower dirt road that said " no outlet" :scared1::scared1: joe- being the brave truck driver he is- kept on going in hopes of a good outcome.... then the GPS told him to turn right but there was no road to turn on :eek: just a dead end! So here we are- the end of a tiny dirt road- with our new 42 foot fifth wheel- and soft sand surrounding us... I figured we'd just have to live there forever, but joe kicked that tough Minnesota truck into 4 wheel drive and backed us out of there! ( thank God for truck drivers ) :worship:
The GPS then rerouted us, and we got there not even ten minutes later!

The Golden Corral was awesome, and then we spent about an hour at the beach at sunset- it was breathtaking! Here's some pictures from yesterday!
IMG_4675.JPG IMG_4702.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4710.JPG
IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4718.JPG

So I just realized that I am unsure if we should do online check in or not. We are tent camping, and it looks like the 2000 loop is better - it has 2 comfort stations plus one really close by. Does anyone have any experience in either of the tent site loops? And should we check in online or just wait until we get there? Thanks!

serenitygr- great pics!

Frozenone16- no advice from me, sorry!

Here is today's countdown scavenger hunt clue. I just got back from the last grocery store run, camper fridge is all packed! tomorrow is laundry and packing clothes. 4 more sleeps till we leave!!!

20170928_123936-1512x2016 (2).jpg

So I just realized that I am unsure if we should do online check in or not. We are tent camping, and it looks like the 2000 loop is better - it has 2 comfort stations plus one really close by. Does anyone have any experience in either of the tent site loops? And should we check in online or just wait until we get there? Thanks!

From one tent camper to the next, we do the online check-in, does it save time, maybe. I think the only benefit of doing it online is that if you are paid in full, and you are arriving more toward the afternoon - in the afternoon they will text you your site number and you can go right to your site. I do the online check-in but always go to the front desk when I arrive.

Now here is the reason for that: I see that you are coming in on the 9th, a Monday. Get to the Fort as early as possible, 6:05 a.m. comes to mind. You would have a better chance at getting a site in the 1500 loop, smaller sites, yes, but with in a few minutes walk to the Meadows Trading Post, Pool, and the Campfire/singalong. You will have a 50/50 chance of getting into the 1500 loop, if that is where you would want to be. ( Me, yes please :) ).

Now, why do I say 1500 loop, you ask. The 2000 loop is nice and away from a lot of traffic noise, but the last time we where there we had a bad experience, not Disney's fault, bad parenting on our neighbors. We woke up to the sound of banging close by, upon unzipping our tent there was a kid on a plastic tricycle banging into our new car. :scared1: From that point on we have stayed either in full hookup or the one time I was not able to get full 1500.

1500 does share a CS with the 1600 loop, but when we where in either loop, it did not seem all that busy. So, do online check-in and then, like today or tomorrow call the reservation line and put in your request, for 1500 if that is what you would prefer. If it where me, yes 1500 please, right @tiggerdad .

I'll second that on the 1500 loop. We have tent camped multiple times and each time in the 1500 loop. YOU WANT THE 1500 LOOP! I would request the 1500 and also arrive early to double your chances.

I want to work in a Golden Corral meal, but I think my kids' brains would explode at the sight of that chocolate fountain! We had one or two here maybe 15 or 20 years ago when I was a kid, but they've been closed for a long time.

From one tent camper to the next, we do the online check-in, does it save time, maybe. I think the only benefit of doing it online is that if you are paid in full, and you are arriving more toward the afternoon - in the afternoon they will text you your site number and you can go right to your site. I do the online check-in but always go to the front desk when I arrive.

Now here is the reason for that: I see that you are coming in on the 9th, a Monday. Get to the Fort as early as possible, 6:05 a.m. comes to mind. You would have a better chance at getting a site in the 1500 loop, smaller sites, yes, but with in a few minutes walk to the Meadows Trading Post, Pool, and the Campfire/singalong. You will have a 50/50 chance of getting into the 1500 loop, if that is where you would want to be. ( Me, yes please :) ).

Now, why do I say 1500 loop, you ask. The 2000 loop is nice and away from a lot of traffic noise, but the last time we where there we had a bad experience, not Disney's fault, bad parenting on our neighbors. We woke up to the sound of banging close by, upon unzipping our tent there was a kid on a plastic tricycle banging into our new car. :scared1: From that point on we have stayed either in full hookup or the one time I was not able to get full 1500.

1500 does share a CS with the 1600 loop, but when we where in either loop, it did not seem all that busy. So, do online check-in and then, like today or tomorrow call the reservation line and put in your request, for 1500 if that is what you would prefer. If it where me, yes 1500 please, right @tiggerdad .

I'll second that on the 1500 loop. We have tent camped multiple times and each time in the 1500 loop. YOU WANT THE 1500 LOOP! I would request the 1500 and also arrive early to double your chances.

Thanks for your input! My DH and I are typically easy to please, so I would think either would be okay with us, but snowmedic, you just helped to remind me that I need to go to the front desk anyway because we need to pay off our reservation! I think I will check in online and then just go to the front desk and see what happens. We (me) are learning to be more laid back with our vacations and just go with the flow. I think when we check in I will definitely ask for the 1500 loop and just cross my fingers!

Very nice, educational day at the wolf preserve today. Lots of people, which is good for the preserve financially, but really limits the interaction each person gets with the wolves. We were fortunate that the kids all did get a chance to pet one or two of them , and we did enjoy hearing the stories about them, but I think we were all hoping for a little more actual interaction with them. But the kids had fun, got some souvenirs, learned about patience in the Florida heat, and got to howl with a bunch of wolves: all in all a pretty good day!
IMG_4727.JPG IMG_4728.JPG

Now we're on the road again heading to the wildwood KOA, which is our resting spot until early tomorrow morning- we're hoping to leave there about 5:00am, and arrive at the Fort about 6:00!

The laid back vacation is the way to go. The only thing we plan is our dinner reservations, other than that, while we are having breakfast that is when we decide what we want to do that day.

Have a great vacation.

@snowmedic, I will never get that memory of the 2000 loop out of my head. 6AM and screaming, running kids in pajamas everywhere.

Reminded me of the scene from Gremlins 2 when they were all in the hotel lobby waiting to go crazy in New York.

@serenitygr, great looking pics.

Finally on the last leg of our journey- one hour and we will be there!

Great!

How was the KOA (I'm assuming based on you comments that you were at the Wildwood one)? I need a pre check-in overnight for later this month and I'm looking for options.

Enjoy your trip!

All right- today I went thru every post on this thread, and I believe we have 36 names so far arriving in October! I will update the first post- on page one of this thread- with each family and their arrival dates and departure dates- also the type of site or loop they've requested if we have that. It will be later tomorrow before I post it, because I'm going to try to list them all in the correct order. (those arriving on the 1st will be listed first, and so on) I can't believe how many of us there are- it's just awesome! Now I REALLY hope we can make contact with each other down there! I will have our big green DIS sign up with serenitygr on it- hopefully others will also have a sign! 3 more days to get ready here in Minnesota, and we will be on our way!!!!
:cheer2::banana::cool1::cheer2::banana::cool1::cheer2::banana::cool1::dancer::dancer::dancer::cool1::cheer2::banana::cool1::cheer2::banana::cool1::cheer2::banana::cool1::cheer2::banana::dancer::dancer:

We had a pretty good list going, then there was a hurricane and well.......

Well and as far as loop requests, sometimes it works, sometimes not. We have made requests for all 3 of our trips and gotten 1, so at 33 percent. But we were at Disney, so we made it work and had fun.

I used to have pretty good luck on getting the loop I wanted, but I stacked the deck. Preferred non-pet loop. That means I'll get 100 or 200. I've requested 100 and only been assigned 200 once. Funny though, I've only ever booked a Premium site twice. The first time at the Fort and this trip last week. With all the Premium loops, I've been in 1400 both times.

j

May have to cancel but we are reserved again this year. Oct 30 to Nov 6. Premium site. Will beg for 700 again. Will be bringing even more decorations this year.

we are reserved again this year. Oct 30 to Nov 6. Premium site. Will beg for 700 again. Will be bringing even more decorations this year.
Great news Joe. More people to keep things going into November. (I edited out the "may have to cancel" part.) Here's hoping everything falls into place.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter