OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

Ok - this is a new one to me. What is 'GAG' at Trail's End?
Giddyap And Go- Take out Fried chicken dinner with all the fixins from Trails End. Very good AND CHEAP!

Ruthies- 2 MORE DAYS!

The schedule looks great and I love the shirts. I bought some before we went and I accidentally left mine at home.

Serenity,

Great pics. It makes me homesick even though I've only been away for 10 days. Glad you got into a great site. 1435 is on the inner loop, right? That may have been our site on our first ever trip to the Fort.

Keep it coming everybody.

j

Ok - this is a new one to me. What is 'GAG' at Trail's End?

Teambr beat me to it! it's a bucket of fried chicken as take out with some sides. Very convenient cause that way DH can take the kids straight back to the camper and start getting them into their pj's while I pick up dinner and then we can all eat together and relax a bit before bed.

28 hours til we pull out.......

Oh @ruthies12 & @serenitygr where is the love button girls!!!!

Love it!

I'm so excited for you Ruthie! Seriously! Oh that wonderful feeling of not being able to sleep due to Disney Fever!!! The shirts are wonderful. Those girls of yours will be struttin to school alright ;) We are in Central IL and I think it takes approx 8 hours ish to get to Atlanta for us, so I'll be watching closely on your overnight.

And serenity! I'm right there with ya on the love for Fort and coffee sipping taking it all in. Glad you got a good site and love the pic from the boat. Have a magical day!

Teambr beat me to it! it's a bucket of fried chicken as take out with some sides. Very convenient cause that way DH can take the kids straight back to the camper and start getting them into their pj's while I pick up dinner and then we can all eat together and relax a bit before bed.

28 hours til we pull out.......

A third post to further expound on the GAG:

8 pieces of fried chicken and choice of two sides (going from memory): mashed potatoes, fries, mac/ch, might be one other, plus cornbread. It's around $25 at the P&J Takeout at TE Takeout counter. For $2 or $3 you can upgrade to all breast pieces of chicken so it's a deal to feed my family (two adults and 3 teens/college age kids). If you ask they also can provide plastic knife/fork/spoon, paper plates, there's a mug refill station there, salt/pepper/napkins and picnic tables around the corner on the porch. It's a pretty good deal.

Plus they sell the sides and cornbread separately and we've done that too. Grilled steak and chicken breasts, got french fries from TE, sliced a tomato, it has a great dinner with very little cleanup.

Bama Ed

A third post to further expound on the GAG:

8 pieces of fried chicken and choice of two sides (going from memory): mashed potatoes, fries, mac/ch, might be one other, plus cornbread. It's around $25 at the P&J Takeout at TE Takeout counter. For $2 or $3 you can upgrade to all breast pieces of chicken so it's a deal to feed my family (two adults and 3 teens/college age kids). If you ask they also can provide plastic knife/fork/spoon, paper plates, there's a mug refill station there, salt/pepper/napkins and picnic tables around the corner on the porch. It's a pretty good deal.

Plus they sell the sides and cornbread separately and we've done that too. Grilled steak and chicken breasts, got french fries from TE, sliced a tomato, it has a great dinner with very little cleanup.

Bama Ed

I had no idea! I will SO be doing this in a few weeks!

Thanks.

Here is a photo of the P&J Takeout menu at TE (sorry for the blur). This was from March 2016.

20160319_204630.jpg

And in case you are wondering, the letters P and J stand for (IIRC) Paulette and Josephine, two long-time (as in decades) servers/greeters/workers at Trails End. I believe Josephine is retired but Paulette was working this past January 2017 at the check-in podium for TE at breakfast one morning and I met her (I know one is retired and one is working). But it was a nice gesture for TE to name the TE Takeout part after them.

Bama Ed

Would you all stop talking about the GAC. My mouth and watering and I still have just over 2 weeks to go!!!!!

I have told my whole family about it and they can't wait to get it. We are getting it for dinner the night we check in. I think it's the best deal on DIS property.

It IS THE BEST DEAL on Disney property!

Their chicken...oh the fried crispy juicy mouth watering chicken! How do they do it? I dont know....but its grand ;) to me, I think they fry it in butter and honey cause the juice tastes like butter.....sweet butter that is ;) Don't forget to get the honey butter with the cornbread. You have to ask for honey butter (but only when you pick it up cause the person in the phone verses who actually packages your meal are likely two different people) so ask for the honey butter at pick-up! That honey butter is the bomb (did I just say that?) Yes, the bomb of all butters! Don't even get me started on that mac and cheese, the bag full of fries that will easily feed two, or that strawberry short cake....oh yes!

Okay I have a question for you Fort Halloween veterans.

This thread started this past Sunday on the DIS Theme Park Strategies boards says the MK gets its Christmas decorations put up on the same night the Halloween decorations come down. Those come down the night of the last Halloween party separate ticket event which this year is Wednesday night November 1. I was already planning to do my MK park day on Thursday November 2. Will I bet that lucky that there will really be Christmas decorations up in the MK on Thursday? That would be like getting a bonus in your paycheck.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/when-do-christmas-decorations-go-up.3637881/

I mean there's a slow-mo YouTube video about it in the thread above so dare I believe it's true?

Bama Ed

Another half a day at Epcot. Went clockwise around World showcase this time. Another great day with overcast skies and on/off light rain ... not enough to dampen your spirits though. I had to have some more of those Green Lip Mussels and beer... found some OUTSTANDING scallops also paired with a good white wine. Oh and as always our tradition of a hot dog at the American Showcase :-) Doing AK tomorrow with FP's at both the new Avatar rides, the Safari ride, and ROL. How did I get two premium FP's for one park you ask, well ... Our across the street camping neighbor woke up yesterday morning with an almost flat tire on his TV. I have one of those portable jump boxes with a built in air compressor, so he was aired up for the day and didn't loose any Park time by having to change tires. He and his family were grateful and gave me a fast pass to the Avatar Fight ride. I already had one for the Navi River :-)

disney4.JPG disney3.JPG

Okay I have a question for you Fort Halloween veterans.

This thread started this past Sunday on the DIS Theme Park Strategies boards says the MK gets its Christmas decorations put up on the same night the Halloween decorations come down. Those come down the night of the last Halloween party separate ticket event which this year is Wednesday night November 1. I was already planning to do my MK park day on Thursday November 2. Will I bet that lucky that there will really be Christmas decorations up in the MK on Thursday? That would be like getting a bonus in your paycheck.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/when-do-christmas-decorations-go-up.3637881/

I mean there's a slow-mo YouTube video about it in the thread above so dare I believe it's true?

Bama Ed

This has been the historic practice. In fact, we have built our schedule with the distinct anticipation of (hopefully) seeing this first hand. We will be at the MNSSHP on 11/1 and will have a meal and/or event on 2 following days. We hope to see Christmas come to life right on the heals of Halloween!

View attachment 274365

Hi everyone! Sorry I vanished a couple days , but I haven't had any spare time all of a sudden (go figure) :o

We are here!!! :cool1::cheer2::banana:

I am beyond happy and have so many things to share! I'm having coffee this morning sitting outside- most of my family is still sleeping...we're heading to Universal for day 2 today at 9, so I'll post what I can now and finish later....

First- the Fort is beautiful and perfect. I haven't had time to explore yet but my heart is full when I look around me and see everything. I think often of how it must have felt to be the first ones in after Irma- to see the devastation everywhere... I'm sure most of the workers here love this place as much as we all do, so it must have been heartbreaking to them. And I have so much thankfulness to every person who helped restore her the way she deserves to be. :lovestruc

We do badly wanted 1433 but the people there aren't leaving for two more weeks. ( they've already been here two weeks) but they worked with us and we were put in the site right next to it- 1435. I am now completely in love with this site, and would live here forever if I could. For anyone coming to find us- we're right next to the comfort station in the 1400 loop. We're almost all decorated- can't miss us!

For now that's all I have time to post but I'll update more this afternoon!
View attachment 274366 View attachment 274367

Glad to hear you and your family made it to the Fort, serenitygr.

I will be living vicariously through you for the next several days.

Bama Ed

TripleB,

Thanks for the pics. It looks like a great day. We did EPCOT in the reverse of you. Started by Canada (came from Soarin'. It was closer). On our move to the Fort day, we started by Mexico and did the other side.

j

IMG_4779.JPG

There's a look at our campsite so if anyone wants to find us it will be easier! 1435 is on the outside of the loop directly across from the campfire :sunny:

Our days have been busy! We've done 2 days now at universal - my older two have loved the rides- especially the one who's a Harry Potter fan. Me- well.... I can now say I've been there and I'm really glad my kids got to go but it's not the park for me. I have to go back Thursday just so my older two can have one more day there to finish up- I'll probably find a nice spot to sit with a book and relax while they do there thing....

Last night we did the dessert party at magic kingdom and I loved it. It was worth every penny! The desserts were ok- some were really good, and the cheese and fruit were awesome! The view for the fireworks was perfect and after the fireworks we went over and did jungle cruise in the dark- that was fun! pirate::)
IMG_4752.JPG

This afternoon I've been bike riding, went to the movie , made tacos for everyone, and walked to the beach to see the last of the Halloween fireworks! It's almost 1am now and I'm heading to bed but wanted to update everyone!
IMG_4789.JPG IMG_4781.JPG

And guess who my son saw last night???

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4788.JPG
Tomorrow is our parasailing day and the hoop de doo at 4:00! Wish me luck!

Good to hear Serenitygr.

Way back in 2009 we took our very first trip to DW. On that arrival day, after driving the 11 hours we went straight on to MK after throwing our luggage in the room. I was beat. It just so happened, that at the time, the Dessert Party was on a "trial basis" and very few people knew about it. When we checked in at POR the CM at the desk mentioned it since we had said we were going to watch the fireworks that night and she checked for us and sure enough there was an opening.

We took it.

It was really good then and glad to know it still is as we are potentially planning on hitting it on our next trip again.

Be safe. Sorry we are not there to cook you up another batch of taco soup like last time. Good memories. Tell the kids we said hello.

serenitygr, great Halloween set up ! We didn't do much for Halloween decorations since its a Pagan ritual that we don't believe in ... J/K ;-)

Its our 1st time at the Fort and really didn't know what to expect and we are new to the camping scene and are still trying to figure out what's what and what's not. Hope to meet you here, we are at 1901.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter