Oh no! Where did the wine go? A food and wine dining report. FINAL SwoClassic and Parisian Breakfast

Ok yea I think that whole fish would have been for me too much of a sight.. I mean I love fish but head and all? lol

have you ever made plans that you thought were going to be fantastic, then they all went won g and what happened was even better? That was what happened this night. The original plan was togo to the Tambu lounge for my favorite Mai tai, ready some wings and O'Hana bread pudding, then another Mai tai in a to go cup to watch fireworks on the beach. Doesn't that sound Good?

That didn't happen. Turns out that one of Mike's childhood friends he hadn't seen in over 40 years was in Disney for the fest. Mike's cousin gave him the friend's phone number, and the constant texting began. We had agreed to meet his friend and wife at the Tambu. We decided to get there early to score a seat. Nevermind that it was Monday night Football and the place was jammed. We stood around like vultures trying to get a table. Finally Sally and I scammed a couple bar seats. I immediately ordered my first of several Mai tai. Isn't this a thing of beauty?
tambumaitai.jpg
Sally and Mike each had a Meomi Pinot Noir. This is our go to wine at the local movie theater, so we know we like it. Joaquin felt like a beer and asked me to make a recommendation. Sticking with the Polynesian theme i chose a Kona Island Longboard Lager. This is one of my favorites. It is light to medium bodied, malty and refreshing beer. He enjoyed it a lot and said he will order it again.

After awhile I realized that we wouldn't get enough room in the Tambu for 6 people, so we decided to try Trader Sam's Grotto. There was a short wait, but we got in after about 10 minutes. I ordered another Mai tai and we settled in a table with a sofa in the corner. It was really loud in there, so talking would have been difficult. We then got a text that Mike's cousin and her family were also meeting us. Now we are up to 9 people. We got another text that his friend was bringing his wife's brother, so now we are up to 10. We wouldn't all fit in Trader Sam's, so onto My Disney Experience to find a place to meet. Thank goodness all these people run on Filipino time (ie. always very late) or we would have been in trouble. Luckily, Kona Cafe could fit us in about 10 minutes. Everyone arrived right at the reservation time, over an hour after we had originally set to meet. Filipino time took a bit of getting used to when we first got married, but I have adjusted. Mike knows that Filipino time doesn't work at Disney, so he is very prompt. The others, not so much.

It was so nice to meet someone close to Mike when he was a kid. His friend and family were very sweet and warm people, just like Mike. I was able to order my sticky wings - mustard sauce, pickled vegetables, and chives, that I love so much.
konawings8.jpg
Sally had Lemon Grass-Scented Airline Chicken Breast - Jade Herb Puree, creamy jasmine rice, and seasonal vegetable. She liked it.
konachix8.jpg
Mike had Hamachi Tuna-Cilantro Roll - hamachi tuna, avocado, jalapeno, Tobiko, and cilantro served with our Ponzu sauce. I am borrowing a photo because everyone who had this was at the other end of our long table.
sushi-hamachi-tuna-cilantro.jpg
Everyone of our party got one of these three dishes. No complaints from anyone. In fact everyone was happy they ordered food, even though that wasn't the original plan. Needless to say, no fireworks were viewed. If I was missing fireworks, I wan not missing my bread pudding. Luckily, the waiter told me I can order the O'Hana Bread pudding at Kona Cafe. YAY!!! Ohana Bread Pudding - served a la mode with Bananas, vanilla ice cream and Caramel Sauce. This is soooo goooodddd!! Yummy!! I can't find my pic, but here is an internet one.
OHANA_BreadPudding.jpg

Mike's younger cousin wanted another dessert, so we also got a mango cheesecake. This thing was so good too. It is a no sugar added dessert, but you couldn't tell. I don't see it on the menu any longer, which would be a shame. This was a great dessert for my diabetic hubby. This looks like it.
Citrus-Yuzu-Tart-Kona-Cafe-Lunch-16_-010.jpg

We closed up the place, drinking, laughing and having fun. This turned out to be a wonderful evening. We are already making plans to meet again next year to spend miss Food & Wine Festival time together. Here is our group pic. I live a group of family and friends.
FB_IMG_1511837751091.jpg

My sister-in-law is Filipino so I so TOTALLY get “Filipino time”. The whole bridal party was late to their wedding! Now that we are used to it, we roll with it (they are getting ready to celebrate their 11th anniversary). They are supposed to meet us in Orlando next week (they live 2 1/2 hrs south of Disney), so I will have to bring my extra patience since I like to run on a precision schedule when we are at Disney!!!! I do love the Filipino focus on family and friends. Their house is always full of people, anyone is welcome to visit for however long. When we were visiting last month, she made a new friend when a previously unknown neighbor recognized the Tagalog song she was listening to on her jog and next thing we knew we had an extra person for coffee!

Enjoying your report! Wish I had a big plate of that bread pudding right now! I’d even settle for a Mai Tai!

So glad to hear you all loved Skippers. It's become one of our favorites and a must do on just about every trip.

Love how your family night unfolded. When you started I thought for sure it was all going south quickly, but glad to hear you got what you wanted and got to make some new friends in the process!!!! Unexpected nights like this can be the best.

Ok yea I think that whole fish would have been for me too much of a sight.. I mean I love fish but head and all? lol
My husband eats whole fish all the time so I am used to it. My thing is scales, but I guess your dinner staring at you while you eat him could be unnerving, LOL.

Where does yourname come from? I have a blue Doberman named Jasmine.

sounds like a great night! the sticky wings look very good!
The sticky wings are very good. They are slightly sweet. Taste a bit of sesame. The wings themselves are meaty and tender. The appetizer is easily enough for a meal.

My sister-in-law is Filipino so I so TOTALLY get “Filipino time”. The whole bridal party was late to their wedding! Now that we are used to it, we roll with it (they are getting ready to celebrate their 11th anniversary). They are supposed to meet us in Orlando next week (they live 2 1/2 hrs south of Disney), so I will have to bring my extra patience since I like to run on a precision schedule when we are at Disney!!!! I do love the Filipino focus on family and friends. Their house is always full of people, anyone is welcome to visit for however long. When we were visiting last month, she made a new friend when a previously unknown neighbor recognized the Tagalog song she was listening to on her jog and next thing we knew we had an extra person for coffee!

Enjoying your report! Wish I had a big plate of that bread pudding right now! I’d even settle for a Mai Tai!

O'Hana is the only bread pudding I eat other than my own. Love it.

Being part of a Filipino family is wonderful! Everyone is so open and loving. Plus, love is expressed with food. What could be better?

So glad to hear you all loved Skippers. It's become one of our favorites and a must do on just about every trip.

Love how your family night unfolded. When you started I thought for sure it was all going south quickly, but glad to hear you got what you wanted and got to make some new friends in the process!!!! Unexpected nights like this can be the best.

It was a really nice night. I thought it was going to tank a couple times, but I just kept ordering another Mai tai and everything was alright. I kept a real Hawaiian Hang Loose philosophy that night.

I thought you were going to say the night was a disaster, too! Glad it turned out awesome and I love the group pic :goodvibes

The wings look great.Never been to Kona, I will have to check the menu at lunch to see if DH would like it on our next trip ( which has not yet been decided). Glad your night turned out to be great.

I thought you were going to say the night was a disaster, too! Glad it turned out awesome and I love the group pic :goodvibes

that is a really nice photo. So happy we pullednit off.

The wings look great.Never been to Kona, I will have to check the menu at lunch to see if DH would like it on our next trip ( which has not yet been decided). Glad your night turned out to be great.

The wings really are the bomb. Kona Cafe seems to have something for everyone. You should make it on your next trip.

Awesome reviews and I have to say I am SO excited to hear you can get O'hana bread pudding at Kona Cafe! I love your group photo too and how well everything unfolded!

Awesome reviews and I have to say I am SO excited to hear you can get O'hana bread pudding at Kona Cafe! I love your group photo too and how well everything unfolded!

I knew I could get it at Tambu Lounge. Happy I could at Kina since that was part of my reason for being there.

Finally we come to the park Joaquin was waiting for Hollywood Studios. He is a huge Star Wars fan, so this was super exciting for him. That morning we quickly did Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster and, of course Star Tours. Here are some great pics, although not food.
FB_IMG_1511837736396.jpg FB_IMG_1511837185803.jpg
wdw2017300847572475_8116828686_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg wdw2017297845231721_8115460941_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg
After finishing our rides we were hungry. Mike and I had a culinary demo in a couple of hours, but couldn't wait. We went to a place we had never eaten at, ABC Commissary. I really hate the lack of good options at this park. Mike, Sally and I each had a bacon cheeseburger with fries. This was a really plain burger. Fries were good though. Typical theme park fare. Joaquin had the chicken and ribs combo. Filling, it was good. I don't see myself coming back.
abcburger4.jpg

ancribs.jpg
On the way out we stopped by Sweet Spells to get this baby. Caramel apple dipped in white chocolate. We shared this throughout the rest of the vacay.
jackapple.jpg

We then left Joaquin to spend the day photographing Star Wars stuff and took a boat over to Epcot. Sally got some wine from the wine machines at the Festival Center while Mike and I did our wineless culinary demo. I wish we had had time to get a glass for our seminar.

The dish was seafood sriracha mac n' cheese made by Victor Munoz of Yak n' Yeti. This was really good, although not very spicy. He said it is on the regular menu at Yak n'Yeti, so I plan to get a bigger portion this. We actually got about 3 bites each of this. I downed mine so fast, it smelled so good, I didn't get a picture. Here is the full plate that the chef made. I can't wait to make this at home.
seafoodmac6.jpg

Next up, Il Mulino

Love all your DHS photos! Too bad about ABC Commissary. Haven't eaten there in at least 20 years...

The dish was seafood sriracha mac n' cheese made by Victor Munoz of Yak n' Yeti. This was really good, although not very spicy. He said it is on the regular menu at Yak n'Yeti, so I plan to get a bigger portion this. We actually got about 3 bites each of this. I downed mine so fast, it smelled so good, I didn't get a picture. Here is the full plate that the chef made. I can't wait to make this at home.

This would make me very mad to go to a culinary demo where the chef made something available on a regular menu. We've had this at Yak & Yeti and it was definitely tasty but if I recall the full size (HUGE) dish at Y&Y is only about $20 so I would be disappointed with three bites for $17. Not to mention at the culinary demos I expect something unique. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Disney really seems to be losing their grip on Food and Wine though. I still can't believe they eliminated the few sips of wine you used to get with the demos.

Love all your DHS photos! Too bad about ABC Commissary. Haven't eaten there in at least 20 years...

This would make me very mad to go to a culinary demo where the chef made something available on a regular menu. We've had this at Yak & Yeti and it was definitely tasty but if I recall the full size (HUGE) dish at Y&Y is only about $20 so I would be disappointed with three bites for $17. Not to mention at the culinary demos I expect something unique. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Disney really seems to be losing their grip on Food and Wine though. I still can't believe they eliminated the few sips of wine you used to get with the demos.

I was very disappointed with the lack of wine at the demos because the tasting and pairing was an integral part of what you get. I was fine with the dish that was cooked, even though it is on the menu.

A couple years ago I went to a demo from the chef at the former table service at Carribbean Beach Resort. The mussels he made were heavenly. We changed our reservations around so we could go there, hoping to find a hidden gem. Not so much. The food at the restaurant was really bad. I felt like a bait and switch scam had been played on me.

Now that you said it, I am ticked I got three bites for $17. Disney just keeps raising prices and giving you less.

After watching the new Star Wars nighttime show at DHS, we needed some good food. Luckily my favorite Il Mulino is open late. I had been looking forward to it, but we kept cancelling. This was the night. I NEEDED wine, since my culinary demo had none. We ordered a bottle of my favorite red Antinori Toscana. The hints of BlackBerry and spice are fantastic. We even ordered a second before dinner was done. I also had a bottle tucked away back at the room. I really love this wine.

As always, the food began with an amuse buche of eggplant caponata and sausage. I could easily fill up on the eggplant alone. It was served with a nice basket of bread.20141028_180029.jpg 20141028_180116_1.jpg
We shared an order of Calamari Fritti - Lightly Fried Calamari with a Spicy Marinara Sauce. This is my favorite fried calimari anywhere. So tender. The sauce has a nice spicy kick to it. My photo was half eaten so here is a DisneyDini pic.
Il-Mulino-Calamari.jpg
I ordered my usual Rigatoni Con Funghi - Rigatoni with Wild Mushrooms, spicy cherry peppers, garlic and truffle oil. I want to go back to my Cernia, or try something new but I don't seem to actually do it. This is so good with perfectly al dente pasta, mushrooms, peppers, wine and cream.
a broom rigatoni.jpg
As usual I also had plate envy for Mike's Costolette Di Maiale - Pork Chop with Spicy Cherry Vinegar Peppers and Mushroom sauce. This is soooo goood! The piggy chop is juicy and tender. I just wish it had pasta not potatoes.
mulinoporkchop.jpg Sally had Penne Rigate - Penne served with our Original Il Mulino Marinara Sauce, Parmigian and Ricotta Cheese. Pretty basic tomato sauce with plenty of yummy cheese. She enjoyed it a lot.
mulinopenne.jpg
Joaquin had Gnocchi Bolognese - Potato Dumplings with Meat Sauce. I'm not a gnocchi fan, so I didn't try them. He thought they were really good.mulinognocchi.jpg
Now Il Mulino is one place I can't leave without having dessert. The Tartufo here is one of my all time favorite desserts anywhere. Think brandy soaked dark cherry surrounded by hazelnut gelato encased in rich chocolate. A little ball of heaven IMHO. I have ordered Tartufo at every Italian restaurant that serves it. None can compare to Il Mulino. This is da bomb!! I stole tgis photo from an older trip report because we devoured that one in a heartbeat. It pairs perfectly with the Antinori Toscana. Of course it also goes with the complimentary lemoncello you are given at the end. Trust me, by the end of this meal, tipsy was an understatement.
20170601_204725.jpg

Il Mulino is another hit. Nonetheless, we decided not to go next trip. Then we discovered that the Bubbles Brunch at the Swan & Dolphin Food & Wine Festival. I am sooo in!! What better place to get champagne and brunch. I have high expectations for that in October.

Next up Morimoto Asia

Every time I read one of your reviews of Il Mulino, I am more excited about eating there one day. It is definitely on the list for our 20th anniversary trip! :)

Your review takes me right back to the divine experience that is il mulino. That rigatoni! The eggplant! The vino! The ambiance! If I was a downer about the previous post it's only because there are delightful experiences like this to compare it to. I can't tell you how much I'd love a visit to Il Mulino right now... those meatballs, the bread, the dessert :cloud9: take me away!!!

I can't wait to hear how you enjoy the bubbles brunch. The bubble lounge was the best part of the food and wine classic imo.

Every time I read one of your reviews of Il Mulino, I am more excited about eating there one day. It is definitely on the list for our 20th anniversary trip! :)
Make sure to tell them it is your anniversary. We got a special dessert on our anniversary trip. This is a great place to celebrate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter