• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Ohana at the Polynesian reopening on July 9th

Ok so there are 14 pages, to many to go through. I think I may be ok with change however I will definitely miss the shrimp and noodles by can we talk about the bread, why for the love of god did they have to change the bread, the biscuits just sound like a fancied up version of red lobsters. Oh and what about the chimichurri sauce with the chicken, I hope they allow you to not get it or at least have it on the side.

Ok so there are 14 pages, to many to go through. I think I may be ok with change however I will definitely miss the shrimp and noodles by can we talk about the bread, why for the love of god did they have to change the bread, the biscuits just sound like a fancied up version of red lobsters. Oh and what about the chimichurri sauce with the chicken, I hope they allow you to not get it or at least have it on the side.

Agree there -Grand Floridian lounge already overdoes the chimichurri chicken/beef to me.

Maybe it’s all one big rouse 🤔 . Tank the expensive items on the menu (steak, chicken, shrimp skewers) but also remove the Noodles to drive people crazy. Then bring back the noodles and people are happy - and ignore the other significant changes.

Too clever for them?

For all of you people missing the noodles: (you're welcome) :)

Ingredients
Pineapple Glaze
  • 2 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 ¾ Cups Soy Sauce
  • ¾ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
  • 1 ¼ Tablespoons Fresh Garlic, minced
  • 1 ¼ Tablespoons Fresh Ginger, minced
  • 2 ¼ Tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 4 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice, frozen concentrate
  • Yakisoba Noodles
  • Shredded Red and Green Cabbage
  • Shredded Bok Choy
Instructions
Pineapple Glaze
  1. Dissolve all ingredients, except cornstarch and pineapple juice, in sauce pot.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and pineapple juice, and slowly add to boiling mixture to thicken.
  4. Simmer for 30 minutes.
  5. Strain through fine mesh strainer.
Yakisoba Noodles
  1. Saute' shredded red and green cabbage and bok choy in wok.
  2. Add Yakisoba noodles and Pineapple glaze and toss.
  3. Serve up the noodles

It’s not even just about the noodles. They have replaced the meats with much cheaper options, but are charging the same, if not more.
The meats cooked over the fire is what made this special. Now it’s kielbasa from Biergarten, oven roasted chicken from whispering canyon, fried rice from lotus blossom, shrimp casserole from lord knows where, cheddar biscuits from Red lobster, and garden salad from anywhere else in the park.
They’re re-theming the rooms to Moana and they’re putting kielbasa on the menu?
Cheap cheap.
If they wanted to go cheaper on the chicken, they could have given us a nice Huli huli chicken using that big fire pit.
I’m just at a loss. This restaurant was ready to go, all they had to do was stick some of the skewers on a platter, cutting down on the amount per serving, of course. Everything else was already family style.
This has nothing to do with Covid, and everything to do with cheap Chapek and another instance of “lets give them less - they will still love it and shell out the bucks”

Spot on!

In my opinion if people want to complain about this, great. And if people want to complain about complaining, that's great too... and if complainers want to complain about the people complaining about their complaining, go for it.

But skipping all that, I got what I came here for -- some pics of the new dishes to see if this looked good or not. I was hoping for more of a shrimp dejonghe type casserole (very light breading) but this looks pretty heavy. I think people are right here that you didn't go here for the side dishes, rather you avoid them to enjoy the steak and shrimp. It's like going to Red Lobster for unlimited shrimp, or your Brazilian steakhouse. And this menu has nothing to do with Polynesia. Polish sausage - huh?

Maybe it's temporary -- but maybe not. Either way, Ohana always sold out and was one of the hardest to get reservations. If it's so overdemanded I fully support them raising the price thru the roof till they reach equilibrium. But nerfing the menu is not the right path. Given it already sold out and certainly still will, what can people really do about it? Speak with your wallet doesn't sit well in a forum where most people who posted here are super excited to be going back even with the current menu. It'll still sell out. So if you do a $60 price tag and cheaper food, or $100 tag and original food, if you do the latter D would be flamed for making it too expensive for the same thing you used to get.

They do need to monetize the demand for this restaurant better. But what would be the right way? And how can we hope to get the original menu back if it's still going to sell out anyways?

I don't know at this point if I would go. The draw was those shrimp skewers. We probably still would honestly, especially if staying at the Poly... not that we have plans to any time soon, so I don't really have to decide.

We booked this and I am hopeful that the new menu will still be good. Last few trips we were disappointed with the service here. Although the price went up- I just dont see the price point that awful. Considering you get AYCE, apps and dessert.....

In my opinion if people want to complain about this, great. And if people want to complain about complaining, that's great too... and if complainers want to complain about the people complaining about their complaining, go for it.

But skipping all that, I got what I came here for -- some pics of the new dishes to see if this looked good or not. I was hoping for more of a shrimp dejonghe type casserole (very light breading) but this looks pretty heavy. I think people are right here that you didn't go here for the side dishes, rather you avoid them to enjoy the steak and shrimp. It's like going to Red Lobster for unlimited shrimp, or your Brazilian steakhouse. And this menu has nothing to do with Polynesia. Polish sausage - huh?

Maybe it's temporary -- but maybe not. Either way, Ohana always sold out and was one of the hardest to get reservations. If it's so overdemanded I fully support them raising the price thru the roof till they reach equilibrium. But nerfing the menu is not the right path. Given it already sold out and certainly still will, what can people really do about it? Speak with your wallet doesn't sit well in a forum where most people who posted here are super excited to be going back even with the current menu. It'll still sell out. So if you do a $60 price tag and cheaper food, or $100 tag and original food, if you do the latter D would be flamed for making it too expensive for the same thing you used to get.

They do need to monetize the demand for this restaurant better. But what would be the right way? And how can we hope to get the original menu back if it's still going to sell out anyways?

I don't know at this point if I would go. The draw was those shrimp skewers. We probably still would honestly, especially if staying at the Poly... not that we have plans to any time soon, so I don't really have to decide.

Honestly, during this "family style time", I would have focused on skewers - I'd love to go for grilled pineapple (super cheap right now), grilled mixed veg, grilled tofu (or a more traditional vegan option) with the grilled shrimp/steak/chicken. And then I'd have nerfed some of the "sides/apps" and served the rest with the skewers, and still finished with the bread pudding dessert (with sorbet with fruit for allergies). Grilled singular items are great for allergies and dietary needs. And then charged the family style going rate. And with no "apps" course, you turn the tables faster...

As for what side(s) to keep - since Hawaiians are known for the carbs on their lunch plates, I'd have done the old noodles and potstickers everyone liked and white rice (b/c that can again be the allergy/dietary preference item if needed, and it's pennies), dumping the wings, b/c wings are expensive right now, and Disney seems focused on saving money, so it's easy not to do 2 chickens, and the salad and other veg b/c now it's on skewers (and this will let them serve less veg that's getting wasted) - making it more traditional, and yet cheaper overall...and still keeping an overall balanced meal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter