OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Any resort can experience bus issues either because of a lot of traffic on the roads or occasional bad scheduling. Occasionally I have seen two busses for the same park, especially MK, right behind each other, and then a lengthy delay until they return. This could have been cause by the first bus having several wheelchairs of scooters to load/unload or traffic issues. On my last trip in December, I had no bus issues, and noticed that they added a TV screen with real time anticipated bus arrivals which I assume is GPS based. That helped a LOT. OKW is a large resort, there are 5 bus stops scattered though out the resort, and it can take time for a bus to make the rounds. But the busses for OKW are dedicated, they don't share buses with other resorts, unlike Boardwalk/Swan Dolphin or Contemporary/Poly/ Grand Floridian...so I would say overall that the bus service is no better and no worse than any other Disney resort.

That is my feeling, and in any case, it is what it is. Because we choose to forego driving ( and we do ) there is a tradeoff. I am glad to hear the buses are dedicated, though. That tour of all the Epcot resorts every trip can be a long ride! LOL!

We have had many problems coming back from the parks and DS. Too many people - not enough buses. Scooters with sometimes large families arriving right before boarding and seated first so while you think you will be getting on that bus, you will not. Wait for next bus, repeat. We found this was a problem whenever we left DS. If possible, we would walk back.
Yes, but that can happen for busses at any resort at park closing. While the wheelchairs and scooters are fine during non-peak hours, I do wish they could have a better system during high demand times, like park closing. My Mom was in a wheelchair for years, and we would often have to wait for a couple busses at park closing. If they could have a dedicated modified bus that holds about 8 wheelchairs/scooters and two to three members of their traveling party at park closing added to the routes, that would be awesome for every resort, but it would likely be cost prohibitive.

Last edited:
Yes, but that can happen for busses at any resort at park closing. While the wheelchairs and scooters are fine during non-peak hours, I do with they could have a better system during high demand times, like park closing. My Mom was in a wheelchair for years, and we would often have to wait for a couple busses at park closing. If they could have a dedicated modified bus that holds about 8 wheelchairs/scooters and two to three members of their traveling party at park closing added to the routes, that would be awesome for every resort, but it would likely be cost prohibitive.

Wouldn't that be nice! I traveled with a friend who needed to use a scooter. We experienced the long waits as well.

I have let the family know about the bus concerns, but also let them know the price differences we woudl pay for the "convenience" at the monorail or Epcot resorts. They all agreed that for the savings are worth it.

Yes, but that can happen for busses at any resort at park closing. While the wheelchairs and scooters are fine during non-peak hours, I do wish they could have a better system during high demand times, like park closing. My Mom was in a wheelchair for years, and we would often have to wait for a couple busses at park closing. If they could have a dedicated modified bus that holds about 8 wheelchairs/scooters and two to three members of their traveling party at park closing added to the routes, that would be awesome for every resort, but it would likely be cost prohibitive.

That would be fantastic. Also, a drill sergeant enforcing the collapse stroller rule BEFORE the bus (or tram) arrives. Most children do not *need* a BOB at the parks.

Is there a boat that goes between Disney Springs and Old Key West? If there is how long is it? My dh would really like to eat at Olivia's and we are planning to eat there on our Disney Spring day. Thank you

Is there a boat that goes between Disney Springs and Old Key West? If there is how long is it? My dh would really like to eat at Olivia's and we are planning to eat there on our Disney Spring day. Thank you
Yes, there is a boat. It takes about 20 minutes to go from DS to OKW. It doesn't start running until about 10AM and stop about 10PM

Our trip starts in two weeks and we will use Uber and Lyft a lot. Is the HH the only pick up area?

Thinking about a stay here next year, December 12-19th in a studio that is close to the HH. My 11 month out booking date would be next year January 12th. I shouldn't have a problem securing a studio then on my 11 months out date?

I don't think you'll have a problem getting a studio. Near HH should be OK, but you never know that for sure, it can be iffy...if you book right at 11 months you should be fine for HH.

Does anyone who frequents here use Uber/Lyft primarily for transportation to the parks and back to avoid the busses? I could see us possibly wanting to use Uber at OKW more so than at other resorts. Don't know if I will be a fan of Disney's transportation here other than the boats to Disney Springs. Anyone have any experience with this?

Does anyone who frequents here use Uber/Lyft primarily for transportation to the parks and back to avoid the busses? I could see us possibly wanting to use Uber at OKW more so than at other resorts. Don't know if I will be a fan of Disney's transportation here other than the boats to Disney Springs. Anyone have any experience with this?

We have used Uber and the Minnie Vans in Disney. Much better than the buses. The advantage the Minnie Vans have is that they can go places Uber/Lyft can’t. For example, they drop you right at MK (at the closest bus stop...mere steps from the turnstiles to enter). Uber/Lyft would have to drop you either at the TTC or Contemporary/Bay Lake Towers parking lot.

We've never had any problems with buses at OKW and we've ridden plenty of them there.

I’m considering a stay here next year in a studio, but I’m concerned about the bathroom setup. From pictures I’ve seen, the vanity is in the bathroom. Is there one outside of the bathroom? One thing I love in most hotels is the vanity outside the tub/shower area. It makes it easier for us when we are getting ready in the morning. It’s not a dealbreaker, but it definitely wouldn’t be ideal.

OKW studios have a kitchenette just outside the bathroom with a sink that can also double as a vanity for getting ready in the morning. Sadly, it looks like the mirror that was on the wall has been removed and replaced with a cupboard for the glasses and coffee mugs in the latest refurbishment. Here is a photo from AllEars.net

old-key-west-studio-renovated-2018-01.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter