OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Opinions on how comfortable the new mattresses are would be much appreciated also!! Staying at OKW for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend and sleep is a priority :D

We will be there that week too. Leaving just before the Princess.
What dates will you be at OKW ?

We will be there that week too. Leaving just before the Princess.
What dates will you be at OKW ?

Checking in 2/21, checking out 2/25. I had to book a 1 bedroom for my first night but was able to snag a studio for the other 3 nights right at the 7 month mark (home resort is CCV).

Weird FYI -
I mentioned this on another thread
I called MS to remove a guest from my upcoming reservation. While on the phone, I asked to check my building requests. Oddly, they had 4 different buildings listed. I always ask for 'top floor' and then a list of 4 buildings. Every time except once in the last 10 years. Two trips ago, we checked in - bottom floor; Turtle Pond. I called the front desk - they said, 'sorry we only have top floor in buildings X & Y. Well, top floor buildings X & Y are my preferred and definitively what I had requested. How weird is that? They let me move so no big deal but I can't help wondering how the phantom requests appear.

Have never had trouble getting a ground floor room. Just tell them that you have someone in your party that can't do stairs. I don't have mobility issues but I do have a REAL phobia of heights and cannot do an open staircase.

So glad to hear that. Last time I asked for a first floor room because I can't do stairs (also had an ECV) and yet MS told me that was a request, not a guarantee. I even Emailed them to verify that it wasn't guaranteed. I was panicking until we got there and got a first floor room.

Really glad to hear that. We were in building 51 recently, and it was the first time we requested a room change it was in such sad shape. I told the front desk manager that it was in desperate need of a rehab.

I've been embarrassed once or twice by the condition. We bought at the beginning when it was spectacularly magical so in my mind, I expect it to be the same always.
Cringed at the scuff marks, broken tiles, faded upholstery and mildew when we've had guests.

Thoughts on the refurbs being completed by March 2019? We are considering staying at OKW instead of our home resort SSR (since it's in need of a refurb).

Also, we have not stayed at OKW since they widened Buena Vista Dr, are there villas to avoid because of proximity to the road/noise? I know during construction it looked like they were taking down a lot of buffer trees and vegetation between the road and resort.

I've been embarrassed once or twice by the condition. We bought at the beginning when it was spectacularly magical so in my mind, I expect it to be the same always.
Cringed at the scuff marks, broken tiles, faded upholstery and mildew when we've had guests.
I think we have stayed at OKW over 15 times and have never gotten a bad villa. I guess we have just been lucky.

We arrived about an hour ago. Our room in building 34 is renovated and everything is fresh and new. I will post my impressions when I’ve had more of a chance to absorb the changes and seen them in daylight (we arrived after dark). We were very disappointed with our (un-renovated) room last year, so I’m trying to keep an open mind with regard to the changes. It is steamy here - dew point is high, but as DH reminds me “it’s July, honey!”. :goodvibes We have cousins flying in to join us tomorrow....looking forward to a great time!
Hi I was just wondering if you’d asked about 42? Hope you’re having a fab time.

Any list of what Bldg's at OKW have been refurbished. I believe most of Turtle pond area is complete and maybe some in the 50's. If you can point me in the directions to what is done it would be nice.
We have been staying at OKW since 93. Many years two times. I'd say we have had a few issue with conditons or issues but usually nothing big. I believe many issues could have been taken care of if guest would be call housekeeping or maintenance when the problem occurs.

I can honestly say in over 25 years of OKW ownership I have never had anything more than a rare minor issue. Sorry to hear your bad luck. :oops:

I think we have stayed at OKW over 15 times and have never gotten a bad villa. I guess we have just been lucky.

I must be lucky too..... :-)

I can honestly say in over 25 years of OKW ownership I have never had anything more than a rare minor issue. Sorry to hear your bad luck. :oops:

I must be lucky too..... :-)

Like I said before - 90% in 2 bed; 90% in buildings 45, 46, 55 & 56. Stands to reason if there is a shabby room in those four buildings that is a 2 bed, we are likely to get it as we have also been members for over 20 years with multiple stays some years.

If people strongly feel the rooms are in great condition, perhaps there is a group to lobby against refurbishment (not decor changes but overall refurbishment). I know my dues have far outpaced inflation (not the falsely inflated fees of a Disney resort stay which is indeed a 'savings'). We could keep the same tiles, couches, cabinets, beds, linens and save the $$ dedicated to refurbishment.

Like I said before - 90% in 2 bed; 90% in buildings 45, 46, 55 & 56. Stands to reason if there is a shabby room in those four buildings that is a 2 bed, we are likely to get it as we have also been members for over 20 years with multiple stays some years.

If people strongly feel the rooms are in great condition, perhaps there is a group to lobby against refurbishment (not decor changes but overall refurbishment). I know my dues have far outpaced inflation (not the falsely inflated fees of a Disney resort stay which is indeed a 'savings'). We could keep the same tiles, couches, cabinets, beds, linens and save the $$ dedicated to refurbishment.

I always ask to be as far from HH as possible, usually requesting Turtle Pond, but we have often had South Point area. Like you, we don't stay in the smaller villas hardly ever. I don't care for a lot of the refurb design choices.

I didn't mean to refute what your experience was, I was simply stating my experience since '93. :cutie: I don't know a single soul that is AGAINST refurbishment. DVC's dues ARE very high. They are higher than my other TS, which I would put against ANY DVC resort. I would vote for the same tiles IF they were in good condition as they both reflect the "Old Key West" theme, and they were very thick, handmade tiles. I find it hard to believe that talented designer/decorators could not update and refurb and still keep the theming. I loathe the trend to make everything grey and contemporary. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter