• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One Year Old, First Class Seat Question, ID, etc.

js

Been around since before the disboards 90s crash
Hi.

We (my mom, daughter and I) will be taking my 14 month old grandson to Disney in October.
I do not think we will be using his car seat since we will rent one for our drive to/from MCO/Resort (hiring a service).

I'm guessing we can just go ahead and purchase a first class seat for a 14 month old but what, other than a lap belt, could we use to secure him? I prefer not to have him as a lap baby but also prefer not to bring car seat since my dd/grandson will
be flying home on their own before the rest of us leave so less things she has on her own the better.

Also, will my dd need anything for my grandson to get through security with the baby? She is married, it's just that her husband
won't be coming for this trip.

Thank you.

If he's big enough for a CARES harness, I would use that.

I've only needed documentation when traveling with a lap rider.

If he's big enough for a CARES harness, I would use that.

I've only needed documentation when traveling with a lap rider.

Thank you.
I have no idea what a CARES harness is but will look now.

Wasn't sure if my dd needed something to go through security with my grandson. Thanks.

Thank you.
I have no idea what a CARES harness is but will look now.

Wasn't sure if my dd needed something to go through security with my grandson. Thanks.

The TSA website has the following information:

Remove infants and children from their carriers and carry them in arms through the walk-through metal detector.

Infants may be carried in a sling through the walk-through metal detector but may be subject to additional screening.

I would recommend that your daughter check with the airline to see what specific requirements are needed if the child is not held on a lap.

The TSA website has the following information:

Remove infants and children from their carriers and carry them in arms through the walk-through metal detector.

Infants may be carried in a sling through the walk-through metal detector but may be subject to additional screening.

I would recommend that your daughter check with the airline to see what specific requirements are needed if the child is not held on a lap.

Thank you.
I was really asking if she needed to prove her son was her son with a birth certificate, etc and wasn't aware of this CARES harness, but looks like it will work. We plan on buying a seat for the 14 month old.

Thank you.
I was really asking if she needed to prove her son was her son with a birth certificate, etc
Again, from the TSA website:

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States.

The airline may have different policies though. Always check with them too.

Reactions: js
Hi.

We (my mom, daughter and I) will be taking my 14 month old grandson to Disney in October.
I do not think we will be using his car seat since we will rent one for our drive to/from MCO/Resort (hiring a service).

I'm guessing we can just go ahead and purchase a first class seat for a 14 month old but what, other than a lap belt, could we use to secure him? I prefer not to have him as a lap baby but also prefer not to bring car seat since my dd/grandson will
be flying home on their own before the rest of us leave so less things she has on her own the better.

Also, will my dd need anything for my grandson to get through security with the baby? She is married, it's just that her husband
won't be coming for this trip.

Thank you.

I second the CARES harness. We used ours on many flights with DS when he was little. The flight attendant will “inspect” it first, just to verify that it’s allowed. That’s happened on every flight, and every flight they come back and let us know it’s approved to use.

I second the CARES harness. We used ours on many flights with DS when he was little. The flight attendant will “inspect” it first, just to verify that it’s allowed. That’s happened on every flight, and every flight they come back and let us know it’s approved to use.
Thank you very much! I appreciate the help!

Again, from the TSA website:

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States.

The airline may have different policies though. Always check with them too.

Again, thank you.

I travelled with my 13 year old nephew to Disney this summer. No one ever asked him for any ID nor did anyone check to see if I had permission to travel with him. Of course, we have the same last name so they probably thought he was my son. I did carry a signed (and notarized) letter from my brother and sis-in-law stating that I had permission to travel with him and get him any necessary medical treatment. Since your daughter is the baby's mom, I don't think ANYTHING is needed.

I’ve flown with my 13 granddaughter many many times, starting when she was 4. Not once have we needed any proof of travel approval for her. Her name doesn’t match mine. Doesn’t match her moms either and she’s never needed documentation either. TSA nor any of the major airlines seem to care about names matching or not. In this day and age I guess it’s just not abnormal

You'll need proof of age if you're booking an age based fare. A child or infant fare, if offered, us generally more expensive then the sale fares we normally book.

Most of us don't have experience booking first class for infants. I have no idea if your airline offers one.

We traveled with my then 15 month old daughter in first class. We brought her car seat because it was the safest and most comfortable way for her to travel. She was also under 22 pounds at the time so the cares harness would not work for her. When she was older we used it. We brought a piece of foam rubber like you line cabinets with for her to sit on so she wouldn’t slip down the leather seats of the plane (JetBlue).
as for what to bring for security- you don’t need anything if flying domestically. I traveled with child who were obviously not my own (different races) and never had a second look. Now I am a white woman and there is a certain about of built in privilege with that. The most we have ever gotten is a question to my daughter who is black - what’s your name and who are you going on the plane with and that was when she was older.

Class of service makes no difference here -

For clearing the security check, you can consult the TSA website but as posted previously no id is required for passengers under 18.

Seating - I would check the specific airline but if you are purchasing a seat there would be no id requirement here either. Some airlines do require a car seat for an under 2 and others just require that the "infant/toddler" be able to sit up unassisted. Here is the quote from AA for example:

"Reserved seat
If your child under 2 will travel in their own seat, you must buy a ticket. The child must either travel in a safety seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or be able to sit upright in their seat without assistance and have their seatbelt securely fastened during taxi, takeoff, landing and whenever the 'fasten seatbelt' sign is on."

If you decide not to purchase a seat for the child, then a birth certificate would be required to prove eligibility for the child as a lap rider.

My daughter used a carseat with wheels and a handle. DGD was strapped in and rolled through the airport after TSA. SLC new airport has a lot of walking to the gates. :)

We brought our grandson when he was 12 months and again at 2 1/2. Having him in his car seat kept him confined; he knows what to expect when strapped in. He was able to sleep easily too. We were able to strap it onto a carry on piece of luggage. Something to consider if he is an active child.

You don’t need ID for any children under 16. If they are old enough, they may ask their name and age but that’s it. My daughter has always looked older so they would ask her age when she went through security but no ID needed.

You don’t need ID for any children under 16. If they are old enough, they may ask their name and age but that’s it. My daughter has always looked older so they would ask her age when she went through security but no ID needed.
most if not all airlines require birth certif for under 2 as a lap child even very young infants

Thank you all very much.
We booked the first class seat for my grandson who will be 14 months, it will be easier than a lap child.
We booked the first row in case he wants to stand up, there will just be the wall in front of him not another seat to bother someone.
It will be just my mom, my dd, my grandson and me, men are staying home.
We will have the stroller and gate check it.
We won't have a use for the car seat only for the plane but if he isn't heavy enough for the Cares harness, then we will need the car seat. My dd is flying down with us, but going back on her own so I'm trying to figure out the least stressful way.
I will keep the luggage with me when she goes back, we will just pay the extra bag fees. I will take the ride with her back to airport until she gets through security and then head back. I was going to just get a car that had a car seat to bring us back to the airport.
I guess we will figure it out a month or so before the flight. My dd will have a better grasp on what she wants to do and we will have an idea of how much my grandson weighs, he is not a chunky baby and in a low weight percentile so I guess it is just a wait and see.

Thank you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter