• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other good tour companies?

northernlights

Earning My Ears
Has anyone had good experiences or heard good things about other high quality tour companies that are comparable to ABD?? We recently returned from the ABD Vivia Italia tour and loved it. However, there are a a few places that we would like to go to, such as Greece, that are not offered by ABD. Would greatly appreciate you help.

There is a list on travel+leisure magazine -I will look for it.
I know that Austin-Lehman is rated number one -but it has a lot of cycling and hiking-so if you are not into that it may not be a good choice.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2009/

Many of these are "active" trips.
There are some people on these boards who have done Tauck -it gets good reviews. I have not done any of them -but we are thinking of trying an Austin lehman (we are bike people:))

Some on the list (I looked up many of them) are Safaris and don't have much choice. Maybe some of them will help you though.

Good Luck!!

I have taken Backroads trips in the past, although it's been over 10 years ago. They did a great job, and I never had a complaint. They offer biking and multisport and family tours for all of their trips, and believe they offer the option of upscale hotels, or comfortable inns, or camping on some of their trips, to help you select a price point and mode of travel most comfortable for you. They also offer "Insider" trips which are more in-line with ABD's style of trips (less active, more touring and special activities). Their trips are more expensive than ABD, so I don't know if it's worth it, but they may offer locations that ABD doesn't. Check out their website.
I have heard on this board that Tauck (and Tauck Bridges) for family tours are good and offer comparably priced tours to ABD. I'd love to hear more from someone who has done both and can compare, as some of their trips look very interesting.

ugh
I just realized my link doesnt get you there. I can't get it to link to that particular page. Just click on the blue tab that says "Airlines,Cruises and More"
Then in small print -Tour operators and Safari Outfitters.

On the survey you fill out after returning from an ABD trip, they ask you if there are any locations you are interested in. I've filled it out twice now, and in addition to a few other locations, I always check the "Other" button and write in Greece. Maybe someday...

Tauck was recommended to us by my husband's boss and he is pretty picky. We looked at the Tauck Bridges Family Tour to Italy and it was pretty comparable to ABD, but a day shorter and less meals for about the same price. Their accomodations looked very nice.

I just got an email from "Classic Journeys" saying they have opened booking for their 2010 tours.They have family tours that appear to be slightly less expensive than ABD, and go to interesting places like Croatia, Morocco, in addition to many of the same places as ABD. I have no knowledge of them, and haven't spent much time looking at the trips/hotels/activities to see how comparable they are to ABD.
Might be worth looking into (No GREECE, though!)
http://www.classicjourneys.com/family/

(They also have adults only trips if you're not interested in family trips.

Isram World is a fantastic tour operator with a great reputation. I am booking clients on a tour to Isreal and Egypt for New Years.

They offer unique tour packages to destinations all over the world: Isreal, Egypt, Greece, Turkey, Africa, Jordan, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Morocco, Eastern & Central Europe, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Orient, China, Indochina, India & Napal, Central & South America & Dubai.
:thumbsup2

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2009/

Many of these are "active" trips.
There are some people on these boards who have done Tauck -it gets good reviews. I have not done any of them -but we are thinking of trying an Austin lehman (we are bike people:))

Some on the list (I looked up many of them) are Safaris and don't have much choice. Maybe some of them will help you though.

Good Luck!!

I went to this link and then looked up some of the tour companies and one thing I noticed with many of them is they don't pick you up at the aiport and one company whose Ireland trip I looked up not only doesn't pick you up at the airport but they leave you at a rail station when you depart. One of them was in the top 5. The one thing I don't want to be doing in a foreign country is trying to find the airport. I think I will stick with ABD.

Abercrombie & Kent is one of the best tour -guide types out there - with lots of different options. They are EXTREMELY expensive though - it's one of those "once in a lifetime" trips :D !

We have traveled with Abercrombie & Kent and Tauck and been very happy. We did our first ABD trip in June and I have to say that with 2 tour guides, Disney tops them all. If Disney doesn't add Japan in 2010, however, we will be going with Tauck.

I went to the Canadian Rockies last year using Austin-Lehman. The activities were not overly difficult (it was up to you how much you wanted to do). We had 2 guides for 12 people and every night there was a surprise for us on our pillow. We were treated like royalty. They are really first class and their prices are on par with Disney. Just got back from SWS and I made a lot of comparisons to AL -- AL had just a little more of that "surprise and delight" factor although SWS was great.

Sue T, we also just got back from SWS...we left on July 25th, when was your tour? Who were your guides? We had Geraldine and Korey.

I went to the Canadian Rockies last year using Austin-Lehman. The activities were not overly difficult (it was up to you how much you wanted to do). We had 2 guides for 12 people and every night there was a surprise for us on our pillow. We were treated like royalty. They are really first class and their prices are on par with Disney. Just got back from SWS and I made a lot of comparisons to AL -- AL had just a little more of that "surprise and delight" factor although SWS was great.

Sue -do you mind answering a few questions?
We were thinking of Austin Lehman for Whistler.
My husband bikes a lot -I bike a little and my kids do a little. What happens if they don't want to ride or get tired? What do they do while people are riding?
Thanks!

I would love to hear some feedback on other tour companies, especially from those of you who have taken trips with ABD as well. I'm particularly interested in family vacations - how the families interacted and if the kids bonded. Did you feel that the tour company was committed to the safety of your family? For instance when we were at the beach in Costa Rica with ABD, there were hotel employees stationed along the beach watching our kids in the water. And the other families were just fantastic about keeping an eye on all the kids too. It made me feel much better about my child's safety. Secondary to safety, were the activities and accommodations comparable? As you know from other posts, we are planning a Galapogos trip for 2010, so if any of you have been there, I would love to hear about it, but any info on general experience with other tour companies would be greatly appreciated as well.

I have never taken an Abercrombie & Kent vacation, but I do know they enjoy an excellent reputation. I also have heard they are quite expensive. However, I was impressed by this email I received from them this morning and thought I'd share it with all of you. It is copied below:

Reserve a 2010 Abercrombie & Kent program and our A&K Price Assurance guarantees that, should the price on your booking go down, we will refund the difference. With A&K Price Assurance, you will receive the best price on the departure you select, regardless of offers that may be available at a later date. Book and travel with confidence, knowing that you received the best value on hundreds of inspiring journeys to destinations worldwide.

Just think that is such good customer service. The price is the price and if it lowers for one, it lowers for all.

I have never taken an Abercrombie & Kent vacation, but I do know they enjoy an excellent reputation. I also have heard they are quite expensive. However, I was impressed by this email I received from them this morning and thought I'd share it with all of you. It is copied below:

Reserve a 2010 Abercrombie & Kent program and our A&K Price Assurance guarantees that, should the price on your booking go down, we will refund the difference. With A&K Price Assurance, you will receive the best price on the departure you select, regardless of offers that may be available at a later date. Book and travel with confidence, knowing that you received the best value on hundreds of inspiring journeys to destinations worldwide.

Just think that is such good customer service. The price is the price and if it lowers for one, it lowers for all.
Wow! That *is* good customer service. I'd feel a lot better making a reservation, especially an expensive one, knowing I had that kind of price guarantee.

Sayhello

Check out Rick Steves. He also has family tours. He has a 2 week family tour of Europe this year that is comparable in price to some 1 week ABD. Plus his tours are 100% refundable until Dec, he includes cancellation/interruption insurance in the price and you are forbidden to tip the guides as they are very well paid.

I just came back from my first ABD and absolutely loved it. It was unbeatable for families with young children. However, if your kids are over 8 and you want to get some in-depth real culture, the Rick Steves tours look great. I haven't done one myself yet, but I'm impressed with all I have read and am definitely planning on taking one in the future.

I would love to take one more ABD before my youngest is 10, but the prices are too high for us now. I am hoping that the Gateway tours will be more reasonably priced and that we will be able to book one of those when they come out:)

As for transfers from airports to hotels, those are so easy it is not worth paying a premium if that is all that you are worried about. Taxis are everywhere in Europe, just have a piece of paper with the name of the hotel you want to give to the driver (most likely he will speak some english...they are used to tourists everywhere). You can also often prebook transfers from home, just look it up on-line or call the hotel directly and ask for their advice.

If you can afford ABD and you have young children, they are the best. But there are many other wonderful companies out there as well if you are adults only or if your kids are older.

Check out Rick Steves. He also has family tours. He has a 2 week family tour of Europe this year that is comparable in price to some 1 week ABD. Plus his tours are 100% refundable until Dec, he includes cancellation/interruption insurance in the price and you are forbidden to tip the guides as they are very well paid.

I just came back from my first ABD and absolutely loved it. It was unbeatable for families with young children. However, if your kids are over 8 and you want to get some in-depth real culture, the Rick Steves tours look great. I haven't done one myself yet, but I'm impressed with all I have read and am definitely planning on taking one in the future.

I would love to take one more ABD before my youngest is 10, but the prices are too high for us now. I am hoping that the Gateway tours will be more reasonably priced and that we will be able to book one of those when they come out:)

As for transfers from airports to hotels, those are so easy it is not worth paying a premium if that is all that you are worried about. Taxis are everywhere in Europe, just have a piece of paper with the name of the hotel you want to give to the driver (most likely he will speak some english...they are used to tourists everywhere). You can also often prebook transfers from home, just look it up on-line or call the hotel directly and ask for their advice.

If you can afford ABD and you have young children, they are the best. But there are many other wonderful companies out there as well if you are adults only or if your kids are older.

isn't Rick Steves the guy who did PBS specials of Europe? This is an interesting option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter