Parents of the Class of 2019

DD and roommate are putting a deposit on an apartment today! They toured 3 or 4 buildings yesterday and the one they thought would be neat wasn't. But there was a super cute one in a big old house they loved so they are going for it. She's excited. I can't wait to see it in person. Until May, all I have is the floorplan and Google Street View :)

It is in a residential area southeast of campus. It seems further away but most of her classes are on the south end so it's actually the exact same distance from her major building as her dorm is. Definitely glad to have her in walking distance. And I'm glad the girls get along so well. Rooming with other theatre girls might have been fun but she'll see them in class and rehearsal. This will be a break from that.

So DD sent me the lease to read and the total rent was $50 higher than advertised on the website when they toured on Tuesday and told him they wanted it. The website has now been updated to the higher amount today. They've already deposited (but not signed the lease). They are considering questioning the landlord but I don't think they're willing to walk away from it so I don't know if they'll have any bargaining power. Any advice?

In other news, she decided to drop her second major (theatre) to a minor. I'm relieved as that will clear space in her packed 4 year plan. And with fewer rehearsals allow her to get a job too (to help with that extra $25 rent LOL).

So DD sent me the lease to read and the total rent was $50 higher than advertised on the website when they toured on Tuesday and told him they wanted it. The website has now been updated to the higher amount today. They've already deposited (but not signed the lease). They are considering questioning the landlord but I don't think they're willing to walk away from it so I don't know if they'll have any bargaining power. Any advice?

In other news, she decided to drop her second major (theatre) to a minor. I'm relieved as that will clear space in her packed 4 year plan. And with fewer rehearsals allow her to get a job too (to help with that extra $25 rent LOL).
I’m pretty sure the rents at college off campus housing goes up every year, maybe that was last years’s rent?

DH and I flew up last minute for DD's 19th bday and Thanksgiving-fortunately we left Friday before the snow hit in Boston. It was wonderful to see her and I'm definitely ready for her to be home for 4 weeks.

Monday is her last day of class, then reading week and finals. She'll be home December 18th. I unexpectedly spoke with her this am for over an hour after sending her the text that her father was okay and not on base during the shooting (Pensacola had some excitement this am ☹ ). I'm actually relieved she has something to distract her or she would watch the news and get upset.

Time really seems to fly, doesn't it?

Last day of class for my DS, too -- and next semester's invoices have been sent!

DS has two finals next week (unfortunately, not scheduled till Wed and Thurs of next week -- wish he could get them out of the way.) For four of his classes (collectively known as "the business core"), there is no final exam. Instead, there was a very intensive group project for a real client (Cleveland Clinic). Each of the 4 classes graded a different aspect of the project. His big presentation was on Tuesday -- his team was the first group to go, on the first day of presentations. He's very glad that's over. He doesn't think that the two final exams should be too terrible compared to the high-stakes group project.

I have been out all day and hadn't heard about Pensacola. I'm glad her dad is OK @tink1970

Thanks-I figured he hadn't gotten to work yet and I was right. Still, I didn't want her to be worried or upset. Fortunately all of the people I know who work there have "slacker" jobs (my words lol) and weren't at work yet, whew.

Instead, there was a very intensive group project for a real client (Cleveland Clinic). Each of the 4 classes graded a different aspect of the project. His big presentation was on Tuesday -- his team was the first group to go, on the first day of presentations.

That sounds super stressful and I'm glad for him that it's over!

The girls got their rent dropped back to the advertised price :) He says he told them at the tour it was going up, which he may have but I think they thought the extra was for utilities. He caved easily after they said the price was lower online. Probably will go up at renewal but whatever. Happy to have this settled.

Confession: Over the last few days I've skimmed through this thread from the beginning! I had forgotten some things that happened and it was interesting to read over some of our dilemmas, now that I know how it came out ;)

Finals done this morning but she stays on another week for theatre. Gets kicked out of her dorm tomorrow at 1 and doesn't want to hang out at the upperclassman's apartment she's supposed to stay at. They don't start travelling for the show till Wednesday. Hopefully she and her good friend find a way to fill their time between rehearsals. We'll be going down Sunday to watch a performance so plan on spending the afternoon (somewhere) with her.

DD is home for the holidays... and she already got her permit! She has to have it for 30 days before she can take the road test to get her license, and we have *just* enough time to get it done while she's here. As in, she'll take the road trip and go get her license in the morning before our 6pm flight out to take her back to school! :rotfl: But she has to have her license for the internship at Glacier NP that she's applying for, so we're trying to fit it all in without finding another time for her to come home for it.

DD got home tonight. Semester 1 is in the books and we can play for a bit! It feels so good to finally be settled into our new normal. Christmas, New Years and Disney all before she heads back in mid-January! :cool1:

Tomorrow we kick Christmas preparations into full gear (since my helper is finally here. It hasn't been the same without her enthusiasm, ideas and help. :santa:

Yay! For all the kids coming home from their first college semester. Mine has finals today, then not the others until Tuesday. So, she will be home for break, this coming Wednesday. Woot! Will feel like early Christmas this year. Last year, the local schools don't have as long a break. Hence, we too are enjoying cruising right after the holidays. Prices are much better, and less kids. Win in my books. Though yeah, got next semester's bill already too. :crazy2:

Colleen, that schedule does sound crazy. Hope she passes her road test, and ready for the flight that evening. Yeah, my older kid thought he'd get rides as he commutes to college. Um, no, so he got his license the third week of September, his first semester of college.

Yay! For all the kids coming home from their first college semester. Mine has finals today, then not the others until Tuesday. So, she will be home for break, this coming Wednesday. Woot! Will feel like early Christmas this year. Last year, the local schools don't have as long a break. Hence, we too are enjoying cruising right after the holidays. Prices are much better, and less kids. Win in my books. Though yeah, got next semester's bill already too. :crazy2:

Colleen, that schedule does sound crazy. Hope she passes her road test, and ready for the flight that evening. Yeah, my older kid thought he'd get rides as he commutes to college. Um, no, so he got his license the third week of September, his first semester of college.

I'm pretty sure she'll do fine on the road test. I'm more worried about the wait times at the DMV! Not needing a car was one of the things she looked for in a college and she certainly found it in San Fran. They don't have any student parking on campus so students who live in the dorms can't even bring a car, but a transit pass is included in her housing fees and she says she doesn't mind taking the bus or train to get around. Once in a while, she'll text me for book recommendations to read on her way to work because it is about a 40 minute bus ride. I think if it weren't for the fact that some of the summer programs she's interested in require a license, she wouldn't have bothered getting one until she got close to graduation.

Most of her friends have a much shorter break, so she hasn't gotten to catch up with any of her HS friends yet. But she got home just in time for my 'bonus' son's birthday, so she went out with him and DS21 to a club last night to celebrate. It was the first time she's gotten to go with them because she didn't turn 18 until after she left for school, so that was pretty exciting for her. She's looking forward to her friends getting home, though; her group from HS went to colleges all over the place and none of them are closer than 4-5 hours' drive from home so they won't have many chances to get together except around Christmastime.

We just got next semester's bill too, and it is a big one because of her 20 credit course load (base tuition only covers up to 18)... but on the bright side, she only has one class out of five to buy a textbook for. Second semester bio & chem use the same books as first semester, and her honors program professors "don't believe in textbooks" so their readings come from mass-market editions of classic literature and from handouts and materials the profs have assembled. So she'll only need to buy her Japanese textbook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter