Parents of the Class of 2019

Shoot. Any other place she can get recertified?

DD would like to make some money and turned in a resume back here, offering to start over Christmas break but she must not have heard back. Oh well, this way she'll be available to do all the fun stuff. Next week DD21 will be home hanging with her, and both holiday weeks I'll be off a lot. She plans to help coach some of the HS speech teams, go to gatherings with our family and boyfriend's, and go to some athletic events.

I asked the same thing. She talked to her manager here and it looks like they may be able to work something out. The recert is usually during the 2nd day of regular new lifeguard training, but they may squeeze her in on Sunday if she can make it.

Nearly home :thumbsup2 My dad went and got him and his roommate last night and now they're back on the road to meet his roommate's dad about halfway between the two houses for the rest of the trip home. :) Should be home later this morning.

First grade just posted today as well - they're starting to trickle in. A in one of his core classes (Sociology), so a good start. :bounce:

What would she be doing at the internship? A NP internship might be in our future, DD's major is Parks & Rec.

She's applying to their interpretive internship program, which is doing educational programming and leading hikes. She loves the idea of living there for a summer, and while the internship stipend is a pittance, they do provide housing. Her major is biology, so leading interpretive programs and hikes is right in her wheelhouse, and she was really excited that Glacier accepts applications from freshmen. Yellowstone and Grand Teton, among others, require students be older and in a science or park management/public administration major just to apply, but there are other upperclassmen-only programs she wants to do so those don't fit in her plans as easily (though she loved Grand Teton almost as much as Glacier and would love to work there if she has the chance).

Colleen27, if you haven't been to Glacier NP, it's absolutely beautiful! We did a vacation there 2 summers ago and loved it. That's what made my DS decide he wants to go to Montana State in Bozeman.

We went last summer on our way to drop her off in California and she (and I) absolutely fell in love with the place. She's always been the most outdoorsy of my kids and we ended up extending our time at Glacier at the expense of some other parts of the itinerary because she just loved the hiking and stargazing and swimming at Glacier, and the campground we stayed at near Lake MacDonald was just beautiful and so, so peaceful (especially compared to the parks that came later - Yellowstone was like Disney World with wild animals!).

Some of my mom-friends have asked me if I'll be disappointed that she's not coming home if she gets it, but I think I'll be more disappointed if she doesn't... because if she's working there, I have the perfect excuse to take another nice, long trip out there this summer. But her plan B is a similar program in the Michigan state parks system, so one way or another she's probably going to be spending her summer in the wilds.

She's applying to their interpretive internship program, which is doing educational programming and leading hikes.

Oooh, DD would love that! She has to do a field experience (probably after junior year), and an internship (has to be after senior year), so I'm hoping to have her home these first two summers before she goes off for those. Good luck to your DD!

Good luck, Tink! I hope the rest of her travel is uneventful.

DS's final grades were posted today. I am very proud of him. We think* he made the Dean's List.

*We're a little unsure about how it's calculated. On the page explaining, it says that the Dean's list is for the top 20% of students and gives a benchmark number based on what it took to be in the top 20% based on the last 3 years students' performance. I'm a little confused about whether the benchmark number is "the number" for this year (if so, he's got it). Or maybe the benchmark is just a guideline of what it's taken in the past, and we'll have to wait to see how he ranks against others for this semester (if it's a true top 20%, I *think* he'll get it, but I suppose it's possible he won't.)

Last edited:
Did definitely made the deans list, actually got a 3.8 instead of a 3.7. I think it’s 3.5 and up. I’m already trying to find a chemistry tutor for next semester at her request, she’s dreading having this professor again. Because she’s needs to get her doctorate, GPA is huge. Ds21 already signed a great job offer for after graduation with a 3.3.

@design_mom --thanks, after both flights were delayed she got home and then her friends came over and all took over my bed (not just my bedroom) catching up until after midnight. Needless to say, dogs and I are exhausted and DD is still asleep!

Congrats to your son on his grades! You must be very proud :)

DD says her professors don't have to post grades until January so I don't know if it's true or she's stalling, lol. I guess I'll find out eventually...

DD's grades were out quickly, which was good because I had to send a transcript to a scholarship and the check is already in the mail now.

DD got back Friday after spending the week on the children's show. She says she's definitely doing it again next year. Next year she wants to host the "dormless" freshmen in her apartment.

I think next week a college friend will be coming up to spend a few days and they might pick up another and help coach the HS speech groups over break. She is just so happy with her college friends, it is a relief to have such a supportive and low-drama group. She and roommate might add two of the friends to their apartment. DD is all for having more friends with her and super low shared rent, I just hope it doesn't feel too crowded sharing 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.

Hope your kids are all enjoying their winter breaks. DS got his wisdom teeth out yesterday and he's not feeling great today. He didn't sleep much last night and was really nauseous when he got up this morning. He's supposed to take his meds with food, but couldn't keep food down. Luckily, he was able to take a couple of naps this morning and that helped the nausea. He's now happily eating mashed potatoes and was able to take his meds.

DD is off to a great start with a 4.0. I'm sure things will get much harder, but it's nice to have a good start.

We're leaving for Disney a week from tomorrow, then hit the road the morning after we get back so she can be on campus for her second semester job training. I feel like I'm going to blink and it will all be over. It's been such a nice break.

Hope your kids are all enjoying their winter breaks. DS got his wisdom teeth out yesterday and he's not feeling great today. He didn't sleep much last night and was really nauseous when he got up this morning. He's supposed to take his meds with food, but couldn't keep food down. Luckily, he was able to take a couple of naps this morning and that helped the nausea. He's now happily eating mashed potatoes and was able to take his meds.

Oh no! I hope he feels better soon!

DD is enjoying her break so far. She hasn't gone to get her lifeguard recertification yet, I think she may just decide to skip it for the last 3 weeks of her break and just enjoy the time off. She's been hanging out with friends and skiing with us, now she needs to call and make a couple of doctor's appointments to get them out of the way before she heads back to school!

Ds’s roommate, boyfriend, and another friend are on their way here for a few days, going into the city tonight and tomorrow night (uptown, away from the madness). She has 2 full beds up in her attic room. She left almost 2 hours ago to pick her roommate up at the train station, she didn’t get off of the train in time (not familiar with public transportation), ended up in Manhattan, got on another train to a different train station, Dd has been waiting there for a while because there are delays. A 30 minute round trip is turning into hours.

[m
I hope your son is feeling better. My daughter had all 4 out over Thanksgiving break(she had a week off) she had pain the first couple days so was taking Tylenol with codeine mostly at night and 3 Advil during the day. She still has loose stitches coming out now and can’t open her mouth very wide. The nurse I just talked to said both are normal. The mouth opening problem is because during surgery they put in a bite block which stretched the muscles so it takes time for that to heal.

Ds’s roommate, boyfriend, and another friend are on their way here for a few days, going into the city tonight and tomorrow night (uptown, away from the madness). She has 2 full beds up in her attic room. She left almost 2 hours ago to pick her roommate up at the train station, she didn’t get off of the train in time (not familiar with public transportation), ended up in Manhattan, got on another train to a different train station, Dd has been waiting there for a while because there are delays. A 30 minute round trip is turning into hours.

Poor kids. But I guess sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way. - I bet she'll watch her stops very closely from now on!

DS is off with college friends for New Year's celebrations as well. He left yesterday for the house of one not too far away. - They're hanging out today playing video games, then driving the longer leg (to another friend's place) together tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter