Parents of the Class of 2019

But she has to have her license for the internship at Glacier NP that she's applying for, so we're trying to fit it all in without finding another time for her to come home for it.

What would she be doing at the internship? A NP internship might be in our future, DD's major is Parks & Rec.

DD doesn't have finals until next week, but she'll be done on Tuesday morning (2 of her classes are labs so no finals) so she's flying home on the same flight she came home on for Thanksgiving. She's pretty excited to get home for a longer break, although it is going to be strange with her here, I think DS has gotten used to the "new normal" without her.

No big vacations over Christmas break, DD wants to work a lot of hours to build her spending money bucket back up, she took an unexpected trip to Montreal this semester for the underwater hockey tournament that ate into her budget.

Colleen27, if you haven't been to Glacier NP, it's absolutely beautiful! We did a vacation there 2 summers ago and loved it. That's what made my DS decide he wants to go to Montana State in Bozeman.

Last final is today, dreaded chemistry with the worst professor on earth, hoping for a B- in the class. She was so worried about getting kicked out of honors, and thought she had a 89.9 in biology, but she ended up with an A-, A’s in her other classes, so even if she bombs chemistry, sh3 will be ok (her professor said she needs at least a 9 on the final for a C+). She’s coming home tomorrow night. I told her she is going to hate us, not a single decoration, no lights outside, no tree - she’s always been the coordinator.

I think our son has one (or two) finals left. Talked to him the other day and at that point, he had two left. I know his last one isn't until Tuesday night, so I guess his finals were spread out over this week and next. Sounds like overall, finals have been going well for him. No clue what first semester grades will be, however. He actually said that it's hard for him to even figure out his own grades, the system they use isn't very clear, I guess. Ironic, seeing how it's one of the better Computer Science schools in the country. :p

My DD finished finals Wednesday night at 9:00pm, but chose to not fly back until tomorrow. She and her roommate who lives nearby in the Bay Area both wanted to hang out until they kick them out of the dorms on Saturday morning. I think that is nuts...I could not wait to get home after finals and during breaks...but she loves her school, her dormmates, and the Palo Alto area. I am not sure if I will ever get her back to Texas for more than a visit ☹ I can't wait to see her though. I have missed her so much, and her little dog has missed her too and taken up residence on my lap--I am ready for her to have him back!
DD school starts back so early--on Jan 6th--so she will only be home 3 weeks.

I haven't seen this mentioned here, but my DD school's parents Facebook page is all aflame due to outrageous surge pricing to the airports on Uber and Lyft. What is normally a $31 ride from Stanford to San Jose airport has been being charged upwards of $75, and the normally $ 45ish trip to San Francisco airport has been well over $100.00. One kid paid $180!!!!! Stanford does provide shuttles to each airport at Thanksgiving and winter break for $5, but times and days are limited. My DD was lucky and it worked out for her at Thanksgiving, but the school only ran shuttles to San Jose airport yesterday morning for winter break, leaving a lot of kids to make other arrangements. Since Freshmen cannot have cars on campus ( and many upper classmen do not have them either), she does not have any friends to catch a ride with.

I also have not put out a single decoration for the holidays. I am having to have my second back surgery of 2019 on Thursday, and I am short one of 4 attorneys I supervise right now, so between not feeling well and putting in tons of extra hours at work as I get ready to be off for a month, I just have not felt up to decorating the house. I did grab one of those Christmas Tree shaped Rosemary bushes with a bow on it at Traders Joes on the way home, and I am going to tell her to decorate that as our tree this year!

I also need to pay second quarter tuition bill--it is due Sunday!! What a present for us parents, eh?

DS has a final yet Monday. I am at ??? with him. He signed up calc 2 and physic 2 as a freshman-he tested into those classes. And his high school teacher told him, he could do it- even though I had sent an email-basically: tell him no. (Dual class in high school calc1 A).

DD could of done the same, the college said freshman should start at calc 1, DD started at 1. She too had A in same dual class in HS.

You need to drop any class in his program in 8 days- so no homework, no tests yet. He hadn’t needed to study in HS.
Well he trashed those 2 classes grades. He went to tutors and care program-but I felt too late. You have 4 tests a semester.

He got full scholarship and felt smart going in-not so much now.
Arrrghh.
This time: I was allowed, IF HE ALLOWED, to meet with him and chair head when it was time to pick next classes (no one is allowed but students to sign up as aFreshman!) the chair head said “He will repeat the class.” I said no he will take calc 1. And we will take calc 2 hopefully at community college this summer. And I did state I had not wanted him as a freshman to take calc 2 physic 2 but no one is allowed in to supervise class schedule and he got to pick classes. She seemed surprised. I was trying to keep my mouth shut.

I believe I surprised them.

To DD: I had shared with DD as a freshman if she got an F it was fine, I just wanted her to survive. So I know I need to treat them the same. She too needed to learn how to study. But he is killin me.

His other grades are fine-and for those he did not study-per him.

I told him any failing grades next semester, means community college, the next year.

Last edited:
@yeahdisney Is he in danger of losing his scholarship? DD has to keep a 3.5. On the other hand if he is not going to lose his scholarship, you might not want to pull him out for cc because he might not get a full scholarship to transfer back afterward.

DS has a final yet Monday. I am at ??? with him. He signed up calc 2 and physic 2 as a freshman-he tested into those classes. And his high school teacher told him, he could do it- even though I had sent an email-basically: tell him no. (Dual class in high school calc1 A).

DD could of done the same, the college said freshman should start at calc 1, DD started at 1. She too had A in same dual class in HS.

You need to drop any class in his program in 8 days- so no homework, no tests yet. He hadn’t needed to study in HS.
Well he trashed those 2 classes grades. He went to tutors and care program-but I felt too late. You have 4 tests a semester.

Arrrghh.
This time: I was allowed, IF HE ALLOWED, to meet with him and chair head when it was time to pick next classes (no one is allowed but students to sign up as aFreshman!) the chair head said “He will repeat the class.” I said no he will take calc 1. And we will take calc 2 hopefully at community college this summer. And I did state I had not wanted him as a freshman to take calc 2 physic 2 but no one is allowed in to supervise class schedule and he got to pick classes. She seemed surprised. I was trying to keep my mouth shut.

To DD: I had shared with DD as a freshman if she got an F it was fine, I just wanted her to survive. So I know I need to treat them the same. She too needed to learn how to study. But he is killin me.

I told him any failing grades next semester, means community college, the next year.
Ugh, I feel for you. I get what they are doing when they insist on no parents in that first class selection meeting. But dang. Your instincts were right. I have felt very strongly about not starting off too high in college courses. I've always felt that Calc (either 1 or 2 or both) in a dual credit high school classroom is not the same as Calc in a college classroom.

I tested into Calc 3 in college and spent the entire class in over my head. I barely got out with an acceptable grade. And it scared me off of taking more math classes.

Hopefully this was a good wake up call for him and he'll kick it into gear and ask for help sooner next semester. :grouphug:

Welcome home to all of our freshmen -- and those who will be coming next week.

Mine got home Thursday night. He said his two finals were "easy" compared to the big project that counted as the final exam grade for 4 of his classes. His grades are still being finalized, but he feels like he did well. He got a ride home with his roommate's mom (his roommate is also from our suburb). Unfortunately, he came home to an empty house. The roommate's mom arrived on campus later than DS expected... and his roommate had apparently not packed. They got on the road a couple hours later than we anticipated. DD's high school band concert was Thursday night too -- and he got home about 10 minutes before we had to leave for that.

His friends are starting to trickle home, too... but his best friend won't be home till next weekend. He called the grocery store where he's worked for the last several years and they put him back on the schedule starting next week... so he'll be happy to earn some money.

Welcome home to all of our freshmen -- and those who will be coming next week.

Mine got home Thursday night. He said his two finals were "easy" compared to the big project that counted as the final exam grade for 4 of his classes. His grades are still being finalized, but he feels like he did well. He got a ride home with his roommate's mom (his roommate is also from our suburb). Unfortunately, he came home to an empty house. The roommate's mom arrived on campus later than DS expected... and his roommate had apparently not packed. They got on the road a couple hours later than we anticipated. DD's high school band concert was Thursday night too -- and he got home about 10 minutes before we had to leave for that.

His friends are starting to trickle home, too... but his best friend won't be home till next weekend. He called the grocery store where he's worked for the last several years and they put him back on the schedule starting next week... so he'll be happy to earn some money.
Dd’s friend is driving her home, we are in between Delaware and Connecticut. His final is at 3:15, but they aren’t leaving until after 7 because he has to pack. Based on when they got on the road for thanksgiving I’m guessing they head out at 9. Can’t wait to see her again, although she’s home until February!

Arrrghh.

I know dd’s Scholarship gets renewed at the end of the year, not the semester, she only needs a 3.0. I don’t think parents were allowed at any of my kids schedule meetings.

Dd’s friend is driving her home, we are in between Delaware and Connecticut. His final is at 3:15, but they aren’t leaving until after 7 because he has to pack. Based on when they got on the road for thanksgiving I’m guessing they head out at 9. Can’t wait to see her again, although she’s home until February!
My son's winter break is extra-long, too. Classes resume January 27. I'm looking forward to having him home for the next 6 weeks!

Yay for the approaching winter break. It's so nice that some of you have your kids home already! DS finishes finals on Thursday afternoon, so he'll fly home Friday morning. Unfortunately, he'll have to uber home from the airport since I will be with DD20 getting her wisdom teeth out. Then DS gets his out the following Friday. Then our puppy gets fixed the Friday after that. Fun Fridays at our house!

From everything I have read, grades are reviewed after each semester. So yes, I think the scholarships are in jeopardy.

To pull him to a community college this next semester, we would lose thousands to break his housing contact. And the investment we used to pay for university college; does not cover community college, no matter what year he attends. Our community college does not carry the all the classes he needs; the price for the out of district cc is the price of university classes.

I’m hoping he will go on some type scholarship suspension. And be a canidate for the next review.

Dang.

Best of luck @yeahdisney!

DS got home Thursday night, and it's been great to have him back! He's seen some of his friends already, and we met his new girlfriend. (She seems sweet and is a Disney fan. - You know, gotta ask the important questions! :rotfl:)

We got our tree and will decorate it today. I had given DS the choice of putting up the artificial one before he left after Thanksgiving or getting a real one when he got back, and he wanted real, so we went to our traditional place. All the choices seemed a bit small this year (I've heard thanks to less planting during the recession in 2008) but it's nicely shaped and I think it will be pretty.

Best of luck @yeahdisney!

DS got home Thursday night, and it's been great to have him back! He's seen some of his friends already, and we met his new girlfriend. (She seems sweet and is a Disney fan. - You know, gotta ask the important questions! :rotfl:)

We got our tree and will decorate it today. I had given DS the choice of putting up the artificial one before he left after Thanksgiving or getting a real one when he got back, and he wanted real, so we went to our traditional place. All the choices seemed a bit small this year (I've heard thanks to less planting during the recession in 2008) but it's nicely shaped and I think it will be pretty.
Interesting, we’ve always had a real tree, and I’ve had a kid working at the local garden center for almost 10 years. DH picked up a tree yesterday dropping dd16 off at work, said it was slim pickings. After today they are closing for the winter, and I know we’ve gotten our tree later than now some years.

So we went down today to spend the afternoon with DD, pick up some of her things being stored in her Jeep, and see her children's show. We'd had lunch and were browsing Walmart when she found out the performance was cancelled due to the snow. We did drive past the place where she'll be living next year, and spent some time playing board games at the cafe she wants to work at. Disappointing to miss the show but since it was snowy it was nice to come back early, with daylight for some of the drive.

Update: Got to watch the play on Facebook tonight- from the side and with less than ideal audio but still caught most of it!

Last edited:
Well, the best laid plans and all. Talked to DD last night, and Lowell closed the campus for today because of snow, so her last final was cancelled and rescheduled for Saturday. Thankfully we got her rebooked to come home for free (thanks Southwest!) but it means that she can't recertify for her lifeguard job as that class was on Saturday and her certification expired this month. They only do the classes once a month, so she is probably out of luck for working over Christmas break.

Well, the best laid plans and all. Talked to DD last night, and Lowell closed the campus for today because of snow, so her last final was cancelled and rescheduled for Saturday. Thankfully we got her rebooked to come home for free (thanks Southwest!) but it means that she can't recertify for her lifeguard job as that class was on Saturday and her certification expired this month. They only do the classes once a month, so she is probably out of luck for working over Christmas break.
Oh no! My ds16 is taking the swim test at the Y today in order to take the certification class. We just have some ice here, dad gave her friend tickets for broadway roulette for her birthday, they are busing in today, she asked last night if it could be canceled. Um, no, weather has to be horrendous for that.

She just found out she ended up with a B+ in her horrible chemistry class, so a GPA of 3.7, she is so relieved.

Shoot. Any other place she can get recertified?

DD would like to make some money and turned in a resume back here, offering to start over Christmas break but she must not have heard back. Oh well, this way she'll be available to do all the fun stuff. Next week DD21 will be home hanging with her, and both holiday weeks I'll be off a lot. She plans to help coach some of the HS speech teams, go to gatherings with our family and boyfriend's, and go to some athletic events.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter