Pasta sauce HELP

Tink13

<font color=navy>ºoº <font color=red>EARS TO YOU <
Hi all,,,,I have to admit that I am a RAGU user !!! I NOW need to make a pasta sauce the OLD FASHION way, with puree, paste etc,,,I know what goes in it, just need help in figuring out how much of what I will need..I am making sauce for a friend whos wife passed away and was talking about his supply of pasta sauce being gone (poor thing) so to make this and put it in single serving tupperware so he can have it in his freezer for when needed.....I KNOW she never used RAGU--LOL anyway if anyone has a recipe for this and how much it makes I can add or sub. as needed,,,,Thanks so much

Tink-13

two cans of tomato sauce....or two cans of tomatoes and use a blender on them.........then add one large sixteen ounce can of tomato paste and equal amounts of water in it......
first saute a pound of extra lean hamburg .....and then add the tomato mixture......add italian seasoning and some garlice sauce...this is a very basic sauce.......I add boiled chicken thighs with no skin...but leave bone on....and when the chicken is almost done...i toss the chicken into the sauce too.......you could also cook sweet or hot sausage italian style.....and put that in too....he can have a few meals in this type of sauce.......you are a good neighbor to do this for him.....

It depends on weather you want a meat sauce or not. I usually put sausage, spareribs and meatballs in mine. I saute about half an onion and three cloves of garlic(chopped) in olive oil. Add tomato sauce and paste. About 1/4 cup sugar, italian spices(oregano,basil.parsley) a little pepper, a dash of red wine. I also like to add a little grated italian cheese for flavor. Let simmer for several hours( the longer it cooks the better it tastes). Hope I did'nt forget anything. This is my Grandmothers recipe(from Italy) Hope it works.

It's been a long time since I've made it from scratch but this is what I have written down. I never liked "Hunt's" brand - but I don't know if it's changed. I used something with an Italian name, I think. I don't use onion as I'm allergic to it, but most people use some. I think it originally included sugar, but I skip it because I'm diabetic & don't think it needs it anyway.

Spaghetti Sauce
1 clove garlic
2 Tbl oil
3 cups tomato sauce (plain, no spices)
3/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup Parmesan
dash pepper
1 tsp basil
1 bay leaf
1/4 c fresh parsley
1 Tbl worcestershire sauce
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp oregano

I was happy with it this way for years, until I worked with a girl whose Italian mother invited me to dinner & served "Tomato Gravy." She told me the only basic difference between her recipe & what I used (not that she ever would specify amounts - or even exact ingredients) was that she included either Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet. I added 1 Tbl to the above recipe & believe it or not, it really made a difference.

And I agree with Pumba . . . what a nice neighbor you are to do this for him!

God bless!

d

Thanks sooooooo much,,,,, I think what I am going to do is try them all (one at a time of course LOL DONT want him to be eating pasta everyday LOL).....I will let him know that when he is on his next to the last serving to give me a yell,,and the next batch will be ready.....its the least I can do ,,they are very nice people and he never missed a chance to help DH with anything he needed,,,I am a true believer in what goes a round comes around,,so it never hurts to help when you can...... I am also making some for ME !!!!!YOU guys/gals on the boards are the BEST!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter