Pay for priority for room locations?

I don’t think a person willing to take the time to put in a request, either by calling or going on chat, who might have spent hours (as I have!) researching views, noise levels, and particular conveniences of room locations, is cheating the system. Anyone willing to do the work can do it.
And we all know it’s no guarantee, that it’s not an entitlement.
I'm not passing any judgment. You're just operating in the system provided. Like people who walk reservations.

But it sure would be nicer if neither of those things were even an option.

The bigger problem though is that someone who does get it and had a different request, goes to the desk, complains, and then they swap them anyway.

If they didn’t take requests or didn’t make room switches unless there Is a maintenance issue, it would cause less issues.

Like I said, I’d rather it be room ready be the priority and that they find a way to get to a point where getting rooms between 1 and 2 pm becomes easier on a regular basis.
Once, when I complained about a room, I was told there was nothing else available and that was that. They did say that we could switch in something like two days, which just didn't make any sense. I just don't think there's anything wrong with the current system where they take a request, and if they can accommodate it, great! If not, no big deal.

I don't think this gives anyone an unfair advantage. In my opinion, trying to get a moonlight magic reservation with 15 computers open is worse.

Once, when I complained about a room, I was told there was nothing else available and that was that. They did say that we could switch in something like two days, which just didn't make any sense. I just don't think there's anything wrong with the current system where they take a request, and if they can accommodate it, great! If not, no big deal.

I don't think this gives anyone an unfair advantage. In my opinion, trying to get a moonlight magic reservation with 15 computers open is worse.
The other problem with first-come-first-serve rooms is that it doesn't set an even playing field.

If someone from, say, Tampa, knows to arrive at exactly 12 noon so that they can get a choice of 4 different available rooms - then by default someone like me, from the west coast and doesn't get off the plane until 5-6pm, gets left with whatever is left over from that day's check-outs and everyone else who checked in earlier and picked a better room.

With the current system, I may not get a room reservation, which is fine. But if room requests were eliminated, I would probably never get a room that I wanted.

I would much rather pay for priority room requests than eliminate room requests altogether.

Well, I have seen plenty of groups upset and things changed over the years.

I get it’s important to some but I just wish they didn’t take them so that they could potentially use arrival time and match it to room ready.

And, I don’t think those that get there early should get to ask if they have a room ready in XYZ either so those getting early have an an advantage. Just that they find you a room, assign it, and go from there.

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
For me what I’m interested is how this would be handled if there was maintenance issues and they had to bump someone. It’s not the most common but definitely pops up occasionally on board that someone gets bumped from room they booked. This used to not be an issue since most time it seemed people got upgraded but recall several stories here recently where the offered room was definitely a down grade.

In this scenario if I had paid for the premier access and got forced to move id be furious but if they prioritized bumping those who didn’t pay I’d argue that’s illegal/breach of terms. Any thoughts on this scenario?

For me what I’m interested is how this would be handled if there was maintenance issues and they had to bump someone. It’s not the most common but definitely pops up occasionally on board that someone gets bumped from room they booked. This used to not be an issue since most time it seemed people got upgraded but recall several stories here recently where the offered room was definitely a down grade.

In this scenario if I had paid for the premier access and got forced to move id be furious but if they prioritized bumping those who didn’t pay I’d argue that’s illegal/breach of terms. Any thoughts on this scenario?

I think that is why any type of priority would have to be more generic than actual room requests. For example, maybe you pay for priority check in...meaning, once you have been assigned your room, it get priority to be cleaned sooner rather than later.

So, people who are paying for getting specific rooms, floors, etc. and need to be bumped, could become problematic which is why I don't see it being something that detailed.

I remember one time I stayed at POFQ and got there super early. I paid for a standard view and when I got there I told them anything available at all?

Well they gave me an upgrade for free to the river view room and I was so happy. Got right in. But the location sucked. But that was my fault entirely.

I think that is why any type of priority would have to be more generic than actual room requests. For example, maybe you pay for priority check in...meaning, once you have been assigned your room, it get priority to be cleaned sooner rather than later.

So, people who are paying for getting specific rooms, floors, etc. and need to be bumped, could become problematic which is why I don't see it being something that detailed.
I would pay up for priority check in for sure. Sign me up if I can buy a couple extra hours of room time.

It's "doing your research" in the same way that walking a reservation is, from my vantage point. What's the distinction?
Uh, "doing my research" means doing research, not walking a reservation. I think the latter is kind of a sneaky tactic, maybe even a bit selfish, which blocks DVC members from booking rooms in the process. Just my opinion. Look at it this way. Say you're going to Disneyland and want a good view of the fireworks. Is it somehow unfair to research little known vantage points for the best view and an optimum experience?

I don't think reading these boards, and getting everyone's opinions on resorts, rooms, etc. is at all underhanded. Thats the whole reason these boards exist!

Sounds like yet another issue I have to email about 4 times, call 3 times, and have 2 different calls with higher up DVC leadership so they can then roll it all back when they realize legally they don't have a right to do it.

But I am sure plenty of people will love to claim how Disney can do anything they want and can charge for it.

Sounds like yet another issue I have to email about 4 times, call 3 times, and have 2 different calls with higher up DVC leadership so they can then roll it all back when they realize legally they don't have a right to do it.

But I am sure plenty of people will love to claim how Disney can do anything they want and can charge for it.

Absolutely DVD can have a paid perks program. Not sure why you think they can not? Obviously, certain things can not be allowed..ie: they can't charge for a priority booking period.

But there are definitely things that can be done that would qualify. The only requirement is that any type of paid program must be voluntary and that owners can not be forced to take part.

Obviously, certain things can not be allowed..ie: they can't charge for a priority booking period.
Sure they can. They do exactly that with guaranteed weeks.

In terms of that priority booking period, the only thing we are guaranteed is that 1-month home period. Anything above that is up to Disney. Management, hand in hand with the developer, could apply a 1-month priority to resale owners and a 4-month window to direct owners. Such a move would be grandfathered in, so as to limit this impact to all future resales and pacify the masses.

If history suggests anything, some would then light up these boards with how they’ll never buy resale again, again, because it’s a lesser product, and then celebrate why buying direct is worth it for their families for that amazing booking priority window, and how they just don’t take issue with the affect that has on resale value.

All the meanwhile, Disney continues its pursuit of anti-owner policies in the name of profit. And gradually the temperature of the water gets hotter and hotter.

Sure they can. They do exactly that with guaranteed weeks.

In terms of that priority booking period, the only thing we are guaranteed is that 1-month home period. Anything above that is up to Disney. Management, hand in hand with the developer, could apply a 1-month priority to resale owners and a 4-month window to direct owners. Such a move would be grandfathered in, so as to limit this impact to all future resales and pacify the masses.

If history suggests anything, some would then light up these boards with how they’ll never buy resale again, again, because it’s a lesser product, and then celebrate why buying direct is worth it for their families for that amazing booking priority window, and how they just don’t take issue with the affect that has on resale value.

All the meanwhile, Disney continues its pursuit of anti-owner policies in the name of profit. And gradually the temperature of the water gets hotter and hotter.

They can change it but I meant as a paid perk. I think that would be tough one to get through because then the whole first come, first serve notion of our contract would no longer apply.

So, I don’t think they can give certain owners of say RIV a longer window to book home resort because they paid over other home resorts owners who did not.

Guaranteed weeks are part of those resorts POS…so those seem different.

Not saying they couldn’t try, but increasing one’s home resort advantage by paying would seem to require a change to the POS..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter