Photopass coming to RunDisney events!

I'm confused on what you're point is?
Someone asked if you could view your photos without creating a mydisneyexperience account and I was informing them that, given in the 6 or 7 years that PhotoPass has existed as a service online guests have been required to create an account to view photos that it was unlikely that that was going to change any time soon. I then gave the alternate suggestion that, if you want to view your photos without creating an account one could visit a PhotoPass sales location located inside the parks to view their photos without having to create an account online.

Another question came up and, in paraphrasing here, that "Disney probably bought the recognition software from MarathonFoto." In fact, they honestly and truly tag the photos by hand afterwards. There is no software that does it but people who are literally paid to do that. Someone accused me of being sarcastic, but that is how marathonfoto added their fotos and why there were often mistagged photos. Disney seems to be using the same technique, so ultimately the only change is that the PhotoPass photographers who were already taking the photos would instead have their photos uploaded to Disney's servers and you could then purchase them through mydisneyphotopass.com.

Has that clarified my point for you? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Someone asked if you could view your photos without creating a mydisneyexperience account and I was informing them that, given in the 6 or 7 years that PhotoPass has existed as a service online guests have been required to create an account to view photos that it was unlikely that that was going to change any time soon. I then gave the alternate suggestion that, if you want to view your photos without creating an account one could visit a PhotoPass sales location located inside the parks to view their photos without having to create an account online.

Another question came up and, in paraphrasing here, that "Disney probably bought the recognition software from MarathonFoto." In fact, they honestly and truly tag the photos by hand afterwards. There is no software that does it but people who are literally paid to do that. Someone accused me of being sarcastic, but that is how marathonfoto added their fotos and why there were often mistagged photos. Disney seems to be using the same technique, so ultimately the only change is that the PhotoPass photographers who were already taking the photos would instead have their photos uploaded to Disney's servers and you could then purchase them through mydisneyphotopass.com.

Has that clarified my point for you? Please let me know if you have any further questions.
I think people including myself thought you were saying that you couldn't view your marathonfoto photos without an account not photopass. Also if you have a mydisneyexperience or Disney.com (even an ESPN) account wouldn't that get you into photopass? Those accounts use the same logins as far as I know.

How do we know if Disney is using the same technique if there hasn't even been a race where photopass has been used yet?

I think people including myself thought you were saying that you couldn't view your marathonfoto photos without an account not photopass. Also if you have a mydisneyexperience or Disney.com (even an ESPN) account wouldn't that get you into photopass? Those accounts use the same logins as far as I know.

How do we know if Disney is using the same technique if there hasn't even been a race where photopass has been used yet?
Oh they've used PhotoPass for tons of races. Marathonfoto doesn't hire their own photographers for Disney racers, they would slap a vest on PhotoPass photographers and send them out on the course. Also, have you ever called PhotoPass? They're happy to answer questions.

Oh they've used PhotoPass for tons of races. Marathonfoto doesn't hire their own photographers for Disney racers, they would slap a vest on PhotoPass photographers and send them out on the course. Also, have you ever called PhotoPass? They're happy to answer questions.
No I have never called. What I am saying is they have never used the photopass software for the races it's always gone through marathonfoto. The dark side will be the first time. I am also not denying they use photopass photographers but that doesn't mean both sites operate the same.

No it wasn't sarcasm, that's really and truly how it's done and I was talking about PhotoPass, not marathonfoto.
Thanks - I thought that you meant MarathonFoto. I meant that Disney should buy MF's software for picture sorting.

No I have never called. What I am saying is they have never used the photopass software for the races it's always gone through marathonfoto. The dark side will be the first time. I am also not denying they use photopass photographers but that doesn't mean both sites operate the same.
Agreed - it has always been through MF, and the pictures were on their site, sorted and managed by their software. I am not sure how Disney is going to be able to manage this without similar software. The software "recognizes" bib numbers in digital pictures and ties them to registered runners. It automates the entire process. All you have to do it take the pictures and load them into the database. Sometimes a picture doesn't have a clearly "visible" bib number. Those go into a library of "unidentified" pictures in which users can browse for ones that didn't show up under their bib number or name. They can then tag those photos as theirs and add them to their account manually.

@Cais - Sorry if you took offense to my question. I really thought that you were trying to be funny through the use of sarcasm.

Hopefully we'll get lots of reports back from people on whether this is an improvement over the Marathon Foto status quo. I personally had a fantastic experience with Disney Memory Maker customer service last year (when I called asking about a few missing photos, they were able to locate them - the incredibly friendly cast member took my phone # and called me once the photos were found), so there's that. Can't wait to hear reports!

Agreed - it has always been through MF, and the pictures were on their site, sorted and managed by their software. I am not sure how Disney is going to be able to manage this without similar software. The software "recognizes" bib numbers in digital pictures and ties them to registered runners. It automates the entire process. All you have to do it take the pictures and load them into the database. Sometimes a picture doesn't have a clearly "visible" bib number. Those go into a library of "unidentified" pictures in which users can browse for ones that didn't show up under their bib number or name. They can then tag those photos as theirs and add them to their account manually.

@Cais - Sorry if you took offense to my question. I really thought that you were trying to be funny through the use of sarcasm.
Disney already has the technology, the question is whether or not they use it. The Peter Pan wait line shadow work shows that they have edge detection algorithms, and the capability to filter shapes. This means they already have the capability for character recognition and sorting. I do hope they are using it, and not actually employing manual sorting.

So, put in the claim codes for DarkSide 5k on photopass (as my mom's account and she is AP) and my parents 5k pics popped up under a runDisney tab. Worked pretty easy for the most part, it took a little bit to claim the number with a spinning loading thing. Looks good so far.

I bought MemoryMaker for my family's Spring Break trip last month, and I was still in the 30-day window for the Dark Side Challenge races which was awesome. In any case, the PhotoPass photographers were out in full force, and I now have a total of 71 images from the races (split fairly evenly between the 10k and half marathon). I never thought I would get that many pictures. Granted, many of them are not useable (eyes closed, awkward expression, I'm slightly blocked by someone else, etc), but with 71 of them, there are several that I really like. Also, pretty good quality across the board.

In the finisher area, I did have them take my "I did it" photo at both the 10k and half, but so far, only the 10k one has appeared on the PhotoPass website. Not a big deal, but of all photos, I would expect the finishers photos to find their way to the correct place (i.e. you are not moving and the bib number is clearly visible).

Overall, I was very happy with the service (especially since it didn't cost me anything more than I had already paid).

I'm still waiting for my Half Marathon photos to load :( . But from what I have from 5 & 10k, I'm loving the quality!! They captured a really good shot of me and my daughter high five-ing while corssing the finish line. That one photo is worth whatever the cost is..lol

Wow, 71! I think I have a handful, but I was in G and there seemed to be a lot of congestion at PP points so clumps of runners in front of me. Same thing happened at TOT 2014 and I ended up with a whopping 3 images, including finisher photo.

But PP is included in my AP, so can't really complain. I think it would be a lot better on another course like WDW or Princess Half, where the field spreads out before entering a park/choke point.

Wow, 71! I think I have a handful, but I was in G and there seemed to be a lot of congestion at PP points so clumps of runners in front of me. Same thing happened at TOT 2014 and I ended up with a whopping 3 images, including finisher photo.

But PP is included in my AP, so can't really complain. I think it would be a lot better on another course like WDW or Princess Half, where the field spreads out before entering a park/choke point.

Yes, I was in corral A, so it never got too crowded, and the photographers were not yet overloaded like I imagine they were later on.

Are you getting photos crossing the finish line that are also showing the finish line banner?
Marathon photo offered both.
So far it seems I have just seen a few close up photos that could be from anywhere.

I have finish line photo showing finish line banner for both 5k & 10k. I also have a great shot of Epcot's Spaceship Earth!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter