Pics Of the Contemporary Vacation Club!!!!

DVC did originally plan for a Member's lounge for viewing Illumninations at BWV. I don't think the specifics ever made it into the POS as it was just one of those early suggestions of what would make the resort special for members (they also originally planned for a private recreation island at HH- which was in the POS and never came to be).

BWV does have The Attic, which is located on the 2nd floor at the far end on the Boardwalk near Jellyrolls. It is used for private parties, but never for DVC member functions, to my knowledge. Since it was never included in the POS, there was no problem with it's demise.

The HH recreation island was a different story, since it was included in the early sales presentation in 1995. Since the resort was not yet open when they scrapped the plan- no closings had yet happened. In our case, they lowered our purchase cost in exchange for signing new documents. We purchased in March, 1995 - but the resort did not open until March, 1996 and the changes were made sometime in the summer of 1995 - well before any purchases had been completed.

Whatever the time frame was, we were definetley told that this room was going to be for the exclusive use of DVC members to watch the fireworks at Epcot. Don't really recall the exact date or if it was in the DVC magazine or what, but they {DVC Corp.} made it known that they were going to use that room for DVC folks to view Illuminations. I have a LOT of stuff to search through, but I will come up with a mailer they sent out describing this wonderfull "observation room" at the BWV.

The points made about "plans change" are great reminders. I plan to lose weight; if that was something my wife wanted to rely on for our marriage, she would have had to get it in a pre-nup! :lmao:

We walked through the models at SSR on Friday (8/25). The regular model person was busy with a scheduled appt. so one of the desk CMs walked us over. I mention that only because he made it sound like he normally doesn't do tours. So maybe he's "not in the know."

He mentioned that they were in the last phase of SSR but that there were "rumors of new resorts. But the location has not been announced." I made a comment about having a pretty good idea where they would be (meaning Contemporary.) He looked at me funny and said(and I swear it was almost whispered), "Animal Kingdom?" I told him about the models being built at AKL, but that it looked very possible that Cont. was next. I went on to mention the North Wing not being renovated, etc. Either the kid deserves an Academy Award or that was the first he had heard any of that info. He seemed clueless and completely surprised by all of my comments.

So...1) the CMs at the preview center don't all know much more than the rest of us. and 2) if you hear these rumors from the sales people at SSR they may just be repeating the rumors that we are discussing here. Did that last line make any sense? :confused3

pixiechick said:
We walked through the models at SSR on Friday (8/25). The regular model person was busy with a scheduled appt. so one of the desk CMs walked us over. I mention that only because he made it sound like he normally doesn't do tours. So maybe he's "not in the know."

He mentioned that they were in the last phase of SSR but that there were "rumors of new resorts. But the location has not been announced." I made a comment about having a pretty good idea where they would be (meaning Contemporary.) He looked at me funny and said(and I swear it was almost whispered), "Animal Kingdom?" I told him about the models being built at AKL, but that it looked very possible that Cont. was next. I went on to mention the North Wing not being renovated, etc. Either the kid deserves an Academy Award or that was the first he had heard any of that info. He seemed clueless and completely surprised by all of my comments.

So...1) the CMs at the preview center don't all know much more than the rest of us. and 2) if you hear these rumors from the sales people at SSR they may just be repeating the rumors that we are discussing here. Did that last line make any sense? :confused3

My guess would be that CRV will come after VAKL. They'll start with VAKL followed by CRV very shortly there after -- or perhaps even at the same time? Of course, it would be quite funny if it was neither and this was just some sort of viral marketing on Disney's part to fuel addon-itis. ;)

As far as the rumors, it seems that the second note you made is the consensus -- they read and repeat the same rumors seen here. It is interesting that he didn't know much about CRV though and was speculating on VAKL.

I do think VAKL will be easier and quicker to 'get started' ... but that's JMO. ;)

yes but if these rumors are true.... then nothing will be done to the North wing (and it needs a rehab badly) for at least another year if not two - while DVC builds VAKL.

even if they don't do anything else - I can't see leaving the North wing just sitting there.

either rehab it for Cont use - or tear it down and built a DVC.

Or just close it down until they make a decision one way or another.

spiceycat said:
yes but if these rumors are true.... then nothing will be done to the North wing (and it needs a rehab badly) for at least another year if not two - while DVC builds VAKL.

even if they don't do anything else - I can't see leaving the North wing just sitting there.

either rehab it for Cont use - or tear it down and built a DVC.

That's just my point ... they could be doing demo on the CRV site while they are building and pre-selling VAKL. Once demo is complete, they can begin prep and building CRV ... I'm not suggesting that this will be years apart ... I'm actually thinking they'll be pretty close together ... they may even be annouced at the same time, but I think that VAKL will be sold first.

It goes back to a rumor I heard that CRV was approved and confirmed; however, it was said that it wouldn't be the next DVC annouced. So ... annouce VAKL, followed by CRV shortly after. That fits. ;)

Just to keep the rumor mill spinning, this little tidbit was posted today on RADP by the group's resident WDI poster:

"PS. The DVC currently has 9 pending resort filings, 3 of which are at
WDW."

popcorn::

vonpluto said:
Just to keep the rumor mill spinning, this little tidbit was posted today on RADP by the group's resident WDI poster:

"PS. The DVC currently has 9 pending resort filings, 3 of which are at
WDW."

popcorn::

9 N I N E!!!

there aren't nine resort right now...

Three at WDW - okay AKL & Cont - who is the 3rd one....

Pop Century. :love: okay I would buy if DVC does what the marriott did with Horizons offered it at less than half the mortgage of their regular club.... popcorn::

I would love Polyn - but I don't think that is going to happen. GF?????

6 outside - Hawaii and where else?

9 N I N E!!!

there aren't nine resort right now...

Correct, there's seven

Three at WDW - okay AKL & Cont - who is the 3rd one....

Pop Century. okay I would buy if DVC does what the marriott did with Horizons offered it at less than half the mortgage of their regular club....

I would love Polyn - but I don't think that is going to happen. GF?????

Pop seems to be a popular rumor, considering the Legendary half could be finished to suit DVC. But, IMHO, I think Dis is watching how the suites play out at All Stars. I think Pop2 will final out as a suite resort to some degree.

How about CSR? Big resort, a section could be renovated to accommodate DVC. But DVC has not built anything but new to date.

Here's an off-the-wall idea. What about that lone CBR section (Trinidad South). Renovate that, and add new units around the rest of the lake and boingo! a new DVC! Keep ing with the theme of CBR, it could be a POC themed DVC! pirate:
(side note; plans(read as blueprints, not intentions) do exist for that section of CBR, including more units and a second town center.)

6 outside - Hawaii and where else?

Ok, let's lead with Hawaii, the add 2 at DLR, 1 at DLP, 1 at TDL, 1 at HKDL.
That's six.
But, following the offsite DVC threads, a lot of folks would love to stay at offsite DC's, but how many would purchase points offsite? Would make an interesting poll. :confused3

okay, speculation ears off. popcorn::

I am counting the days until October. :hourglass
Anyone else?

This is what we heard while we were down there ...
1. The Contemporary expansion is not the next DVC
2. However, a bird told us VAKL would be next (is construction actually starting?) - this is where I would wager a guess. They do want to develop that area.

I just can't imagine construction starting to happen at the CR. Did they renovate the north garden rooms, or just the south?

magsmom said:
This is what we heard while we were down there ...
1. The Contemporary expansion is not the next DVC
2. However, a bird told us VAKL would be next (is construction actually starting?) - this is where I would wager a guess. They do want to develop that area.

I just can't imagine construction starting to happen at the CR. Did they renovate the north garden rooms, or just the south?

Just the south wings were renovated.

The north garden wings are untouched.

I'm betting that the building is a no-go as shown.
For one simple reason, the design stinks. One of the laws of commercial construction design is to optimize revenue and this one wastes it. The arched design might be interesting but it terribly revenue inefficient in the fact that the rooms on the inside ends and near the ends look into a bunch of other rooms, the only rooms on the inside with a view are near the center. The rooms with a lousy view are worth less and they wasted a lot of future revenue with that design.
By making the building a simple V shape, they could give all of the rooms a view.
Then there's construction. It's a heck of a lot easier to build a rectangle than to bild a circle. The added complications of the curved or short-segment structural steel, curved architectural coverings and even the curved interior wall construction is going to add a heck of a lot to the construction costs.
If I was Disney, I'd smile, nod and reject that design.

rinkwide said:
contdvc1.jpg

I don't like the way that they re-designed the monorail. It just doesn't look safe.
;)

Entropy said:
The arched design might be interesting but it terribly revenue inefficient in the fact that the rooms on the inside ends and near the ends look into a bunch of other rooms, the only rooms on the inside with a view are near the center.
On the contrary, the rooms on the outside ends have excellent views, the southern rooms view the southern half of Bay Lake towards WL, the northern rooms view the northern end of Bay Lake towards Orlando. The third big block of outside rooms aim directly at the Magic Kingdom. There are fewer rooms inside the courtyarde, due to the curvature. However, the courtyard inside rooms all view the pool, which (for some reason I don't see) is typically considered a money view at resorts. It's a brilliant, and from a real estate perspective, perfect design.

Entropy said:
I'm betting that the building is a no-go as shown.
For one simple reason, the design stinks. One of the laws of commercial construction design is to optimize revenue and this one wastes it. The arched design might be interesting but it terribly revenue inefficient in the fact that the rooms on the inside ends and near the ends look into a bunch of other rooms, the only rooms on the inside with a view are near the center. The rooms with a lousy view are worth less and they wasted a lot of future revenue with that design.
By making the building a simple V shape, they could give all of the rooms a view.
Then there's construction. It's a heck of a lot easier to build a rectangle than to bild a circle. The added complications of the curved or short-segment structural steel, curved architectural coverings and even the curved interior wall construction is going to add a heck of a lot to the construction costs.
If I was Disney, I'd smile, nod and reject that design.

I'm not a strong advocate of this possible resort. I've never stayed at the CR, but I think if Disney was most interested in optimizing revenue through construction cost savings then OKW and all the sprawling resorts would have been built as compact square hi-rise hotels. This possible resort looks beautiful to some and ugly to others, but this is still just a birds eye view. If CRV comes to be, I am sure once standing in and around the structure, most everyone will be in awe of what Disney has created. Even though this resort would be considered by many to be part of the CR resort the curved design gives it an obvious distinction from the CR (I think DVC members would demand that... if they could). I don't know what is going to happen, but I don't think construction costs can eliminate this design by any stretch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter