Pop Century Room Renovations

This has me baffled every time I read about the different opinions regarding opting out of mousekeeping or not. The garbage (especially families who eat in the room), I understand being an issue. I understand wanting to come back to a clean room, etc. I understanding wanting more towels if it's super hot and you shower more than once a day. But who leaves their wet towels in a heap on the floor? Why not hang the towels to dry, as you would at home (unless you're a cleaning-maniac, and you change/wash towels to get a clean one every single day)?
I don't know what makes me think people are leaving their towels on the floor. I think it is that I've read many times that if a guest opts of housekeeping, they can still request that housekeeping bring fresh towels. Which just makes me wonder...what's happening to the old towels? Nowhere have I read any mention of housekeeping collecting old towels or trading used for fresh. We don't tend to reuse our towels, but we usually choose to have housekeeping.

I don't know what makes me think people are leaving their towels on the floor. I think it is that I've read many times that if a guest opts of housekeeping, they can still request that housekeeping bring fresh towels. Which just makes me wonder...what's happening to the old towels? Nowhere have I read any mention of housekeeping collecting old towels or trading used for fresh. We don't tend to reuse our towels, but we usually choose to have housekeeping.

This is where Pop falters. There needs to be detailed instructions provided to the guests when you opt out. It would be a much easier process for everyone if they would provide a print out.

I'm not sure we have gotten a solid answer on this or I missed it. I think I read some put them outside their door, some hauled them all the way to the pool towel return bucket and someone suggested putting them in a bag and I guess some just stack up in the bathroom until they leave ... I guess if the new towels come in a bag you can put them in it but not sure when they would get picked up.

I guess I don't get the whole thing .... you get paid to not get housekeeping but they still let you call housekeeping to bring you towels etc and they still come around gathering up all the towels and trash out in the hallway.... so Disney is still paying CMs to handle all this and paying the guests to not get cleaning .... I don't see the Disney math at all and wonder where this will actually end up.

I'm not sure we have gotten a solid answer on this or I missed it. I think I read some put them outside their door, some hauled them all the way to the pool towel return bucket and someone suggested putting them in a bag and I guess some just stack up in the bathroom until they leave ... I guess if the new towels come in a bag you can put them in it but not sure when they would get picked up.

I guess I don't get the whole thing .... you get paid to not get housekeeping but they still let you call housekeeping to bring you towels etc and they still come around gathering up all the towels and trash out in the hallway.... so Disney is still paying CMs to handle all this and paying the guests to not get cleaning .... I don't see the Disney math at all and wonder where this will actually end up.

I don't know how much time is allotted for a daily room cleaning, but hauling away garbage or towels is easy and quick. The maids don't have to vacuum, make beds, clean floors/tubs vanitys, etc.... When someone gives up housekeeping. I would imagine those are the things that take time.

I don't know how much time is allotted for a daily room cleaning, but hauling away garbage or towels is easy and quick. The maids don't have to vacuum, make beds, clean floors/tubs vanitys, etc.... When someone gives up housekeeping. I would imagine those are the things that take time.

I realize that but the numbers still seem off based on how much they are paying the guests (vs paying housekeepers to clean), and still maintaining staff to run around and handle all this stuff.

So i did online, phone and fax and didn't get my requests at all. Requested 80/90 I'm in 50s, I AM MISERABLE. This is our first visit to Disney. I am so unhappy right now. I am going to cry. Ever since 8:00pm I can hear every single nearby flush, peep and noise in this room, every toilet, sink, sound in surrounding rooms and it's sounded like someone's taking a hammer above our room and banging for a friggin hour. I can't do this for more nights. I am So disappointed.

I realize that but the numbers still seem off based on how much they are paying the guests (vs paying housekeepers to clean), and still maintaining staff to run around and handle all this stuff.
I don't know. The original offer was $20 per day, then it went down to $15, now it's $10 per day. Even if they're just breaking even, it's a bonus since there is a shortage of housekeeping staff. Guests perceive they're getting a good deal so their satisfaction is high. I see it as a win win.

I get what @HopperFan is saying. Guests still need housekeeping to a degree.

Yes, with all the towel delivery, towel pickups, trash pickups ... there will still be housekeeping involved. So Disney is paying ... $10 at POP more at other hotels per day to guests but their housekeeper only made something like $11-12 an hour divided by 4 (average time to clean room during stay, didn't factor checkout since you don't get money back for that) ... so $4 a day saved (plus tax/benefit). Disney paid $10 plus but only saved $4+ .... and add back what they pay CMs to handle stuff. I just see it as a loss to Disney.

So i did online, phone and fax and didn't get my requests at all. Requested 80/90 I'm in 50s, I AM MISERABLE. This is our first visit to Disney. I am so unhappy right now. I am going to cry. Ever since 8:00pm I can hear every single nearby flush, peep and noise in this room, every toilet, sink, sound in surrounding rooms and it's sounded like someone's taking a hammer above our room and banging for a friggin hour. I can't do this for more nights. I am So disappointed.

I'm sorry, the risk we take when we book at a hotel during renovation. Right now the odds are you will not get a renovated room since less than half the rooms are done.

Now it won't matter if you are in a new room or old one you will still hear all flushes, noise from neighbors etc. as nothing changed about the walls between rooms. AND now the new showers are louder since they aren't tile but fiberglass and we experienced and others reported the noise carrying probably due to the floors and hard furniture surfaces. All that noise will be the same.

BUT someone banging for an hour. You need to go to the front desk - tell them the noise you are experiencing with your neighbors banging ongoing and ask to be moved. Do not call, it goes to a call center and will do no good (I know). If the person at front desk is unhelpful ask for a manager.

Yes, with all the towel delivery, towel pickups, trash pickups ... there will still be housekeeping involved. So Disney is paying ... $10 at POP more at other hotels per day to guests but their housekeeper only made something like $11-12 an hour divided by 4 (average time to clean room during stay, didn't factor checkout since you don't get money back for that) ... so $4 a day (plus tax/benefit). Disney paid $10 plus but only saved $4+ .... bad add back what they pay CMs to handle stuff. I just see it as a loss to Disney.

I'm sorry, the risk we take when we book at a hotel during renovation. Right now the odds are you will not get a renovated room since less than half the rooms are done.

Now it won't matter if you are in a new room or old one you will still hear all flushes, noise from neighbors etc. as nothing changed about the walls between rooms. AND now the new showers are louder since they aren't tile but fiberglass and we experienced and others reported the noise carrying probably due to the floors and hard furniture surfaces. All that noise will be the same.

BUT someone banging for an hour. You need to go to the front desk - tell them the noise you are experiencing with your neighbors banging ongoing and ask to be moved. Do not call, it goes to a call center and will do no good (I know). If the person at front desk is unhelpful ask for a manager.
Thank you, I will be going and speaking with them. It's awful.

Be firm. Tell the it's your first visit ever to Disney and you are so disappointed. Address the neighbor noise, been going on for so long, you can't sleep etc ... as like I said toilets etc are the same everywhere in the resort.

Be firm. Tell the it's your first visit ever to Disney and you are so disappointed. Address the neighbor noise, been going on for so long, you can't sleep etc ... as like I said toilets etc are the same everywhere in the resort.
I've missed a lot of the conversations going on lately, but I think you gave good advice.

I would be very upset if I heard some banging noise coming from anywhere near me for that long. I think they should be willing to help in some way if you go to the front desk. We simply asked to be moved after one night and they were more than willing to move us (that was at AKL). We had one rough night by the stairwell which was horrible, but they did let us move to a better room after that one night.

Sorry to hear that, but at least you get to be on here all day.
exactly!! I can disney plan in my sweats between sneezes and coughs
Have we heard about building 10 yet? rumor was rest of rooms should be opened this week - more they open better everyone's odds are!

exactly!! I can disney plan in my sweats between sneezes and coughs
Have we heard about building 10 yet? rumor was rest of rooms should be opened this week - more they open better everyone's odds are!
We know parts are already open, so hopefully the whole thing will be open soon.

Leaving in 10 days and really hoping for a room in building 10...what is the best way to ask for adjoining rooms? I have it noted in my reservation but should I have it noted in my moms as well?

Just got home last night from a great whirlwind 3.5-day trip. We had a room in building 9 (room 9329) and it was fantastic! We were three women there for three nights.

Positives: It was so shiny and new!
There was plenty of storage space for the three of us to completely unpack our bags.
The huge tv was great.
The beds were really comfortable.
We left the murphy down the entire time and still had enough space to move around and not get in each other's way.
So many outlets! That was great...everyone was able to charge all their electronics at once.

Negatives:
The floor gets dirty so fast-I stayed in a test room for this refurb last January and the floor was my one major complaint (Granted, we did decline housekeeping on this trip, so maybe if we hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed. But three women with long hair meant there was hair literally everywhere by the time we left.)
We had a connecting room and could hear the family in the next room talking and moving around in the evenings...not loud enough to make out what they were saying, but we could definitely tell when the room was occupied.
The toilets are so loud, and we could hear every flush from the rooms around us.
There was something weird going on with the air conditioner. We set it to 67 to sleep, but it definitely never got down that low in the room despite what the thermostat said. It was never uncomfortable enough that we couldn't sleep, though, so we didn't bother to complain about it.

By the time we left yesterday afternoon, it looked like Building 10 was completely open and Building 6 was completely blocked off, but that's just an observation from walking by...I didn't walk around to look for sure.

We never heard any construction noise at night, but when we were walking to the car yesterday afternoon, there was a TON of echoing noise that I assume was from the gondola construction...at least that's where it sounded like it was coming from. It was loud and echoing, so maybe be aware of that if you take mid-day breaks.

Just got home last night from a great whirlwind 3.5-day trip. We had a room in building 9 (room 9329) and it was fantastic! We were three women there for three nights.

Positives: It was so shiny and new!
There was plenty of storage space for the three of us to completely unpack our bags.
The huge tv was great.
The beds were really comfortable.
We left the murphy down the entire time and still had enough space to move around and not get in each other's way.
So many outlets! That was great...everyone was able to charge all their electronics at once.

Negatives:
The floor gets dirty so fast-I stayed in a test room for this refurb last January and the floor was my one major complaint (Granted, we did decline housekeeping on this trip, so maybe if we hadn't, I wouldn't have noticed. But three women with long hair meant there was hair literally everywhere by the time we left.)
We had a connecting room and could hear the family in the next room talking and moving around in the evenings...not loud enough to make out what they were saying, but we could definitely tell when the room was occupied.
The toilets are so loud, and we could hear every flush from the rooms around us.
There was something weird going on with the air conditioner. We set it to 67 to sleep, but it definitely never got down that low in the room despite what the thermostat said. It was never uncomfortable enough that we couldn't sleep, though, so we didn't bother to complain about it.

By the time we left yesterday afternoon, it looked like Building 10 was completely open and Building 6 was completely blocked off, but that's just an observation from walking by...I didn't walk around to look for sure.

We never heard any construction noise at night, but when we were walking to the car yesterday afternoon, there was a TON of echoing noise that I assume was from the gondola construction...at least that's where it sounded like it was coming from. It was loud and echoing, so maybe be aware of that if you take mid-day breaks.
We had an issue with our airconditioning too. We actually had it stop working, We were told that you can't set it below a certain temp or it will just stop working. So we had them set it and just left it alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter