Pop Century Room Renovations

What kind of renovations are they doing to the rooms?
Everything. New bathrooms with all new fixtures etc. New furniture, new mattresses, new flooring (wood laminate instead of carpeting), new large wall-mounted TVs, new refrigerators, adding coffee makers, new bedding, window panels and lighting, painting, etc.

Edited to add: They also put a sliding door between the sleeping, living area and bathroom (used to be a curtain). There’s also an exposed pocket style sliding door between sink and toilet area.

They also installed double shower heads, including a handheld. They also installed glass shower/tub doors as opposed to a shower curtain.

I would imagine Building 6 would be ready by end of February, or at least some of it open for use, based on Buidling 10. Building 10 took 3 months for some rooms to open. End of February for Buidling 6 would be almost 4 months.

I will try to check out the progress a little later today.
This is why I’m going to just wait until it gets closer. No one honestly knows right now what will be done and when.

Hi, fellow POP followers. I posted this in the February Happy Dance thread and am posting here, too, since I've been in this thread so much. I just cancelled my WDW trip for February 2018; just not in the budget this time. Looking on the bright side, the POP room renos should be complete by the time I go back, and who knows, maybe the Skyliner will even be running!

I'm still eagerly following the construction updates!

I looked through the thread and didn't see anything, but has anyone stayed in a handicap room (either the roll-in shower or "ADA compliant") that has been refurbed?

I'm wondering something similar, which is what do people do with their used towels? A heap of wet towels will get moldy and gross if they're left in a corner of the room for days. Does housekeeping at least come to collect used towels?

In August, we DID have a pile of wet towels on the bathroom floor! (We didn’t opt-out, we experienced lousy service that was not consistent.)

I believe they keep multiple garbage bags in the trash can. You could use one of the bags for the wet towels then give them to housekeeping or drop them in the pool towel bin. I’m making a mental note to do just that! :)

In August, we DID have a pile of wet towels on the bathroom floor! (We didn’t opt-out, we experienced lousy service that was not consistent.)

I believe they keep multiple garbage bags in the trash can. You could use one of the bags for the wet towels then give them to housekeeping or drop them in the pool towel bin. I’m making a mental note to do just that! :)
I don't think I'm going to opt out of housekeeping if that's still an option in February. I don't want to come back and have a dirty room, but I also hope they get it figured out by then. It seems like there have been too many problems with it lately at POP.

I don't think I'm going to opt out of housekeeping if that's still an option in February. I don't want to come back and have a dirty room, but I also hope they get it figured out by then. It seems like there have been too many problems with it lately at POP.

We were asked and specifically said no to opting out. We were there for 12 days. Our first thought was not our room being cleaned, but of the housekeepers who would be losing tips. We always speak to the housekeepers and get to know them. It really bothered me (at the time).

HOWEVER, our housekeeping was very inconsistent. We had days pass with no service. We never saw towel carts in our corridor. It was obvious the staff was drastically cut and they were pushing the guests to opt out.

I had to fend for towels (usually from the pool). Take out our trash and pile up the dirty wet towels. After a few days, I’d call housekeeping and request a room cleaning.

We have never had an experience like this at Pop before and we have stayed here more times than I can count. I think we fell off the housekeeping list. I’m not holding this against them. I’m booked to return in February. I WILL opt out of housekeeping this time. Might as well get the $ if I’m going to be taking out my own trash!

I think until this opting out test is over, housekeeping is going to be hit or miss unfortunately.

I like your ideas for the wet towels, @goofygal531. Dropping them by the pool especially would prevent the mold issue. I struggle with the concept of these "allergy-friendly" (carpetless) rooms when at the same time Disney has the gift-card-in-place-of-housekeeping offer, which I'm sure creates mold from guests who aren't as resourceful as you leaving their wet towels in a heap for days and days. Although at least without the carpet, mold won't start growing there!

Sorry to hear you had inconsistent housekeeping. It seems several posters here have experienced this as well. I hope Disney finds a way to solve it. I don't think offering a gift-card as an enticement to skip housekeeping is the answer (yes, I know there are those who would choose no housekeeping even without the offer). I'm not in favor of it. They only time my family will skip housekeeping is if we're there for only two nights (a choice we've made in the past without the gift card offer).

Where do I find out about opting out of housekeeping, I had not heard about this before? With all the renovations, maybe Disney has cut down the housekeeping staff.

Last summer, we had 2 rooms booked at All Star Music. We arrived around noon, one room was ready. We all used that room, the luggage came for that room. Every hour, we kept checking to see if the other room was ready, finally after 5, we asked if we could get the luggage for the other room, we were told no as the luggage is assigned to the room. We kept asking about the other room. It turns out the housekeeper did not tick off that the room was ready. It turned out that the room was the connecting room.

Wow, sounds very disorganized! Do they ask us about opting out of housekeeping at check-in or before? Since housekeeping is so inconsistent, I think we might as well opt out.

Wow, sounds very disorganized! Do they ask us about opting out of housekeeping at check-in or before? Since housekeeping is so inconsistent, I think we might as well opt out.
They ask at check-in, but I'm pretty sure you have to physically check in at the desk (not online). I might just opt out as well, but that is such a hassle to have to run around getting new towels and taking dirty ones somewhere. Plus the trash gets full and I just don't want to have to deal with that on vacation.

guests who aren't as resourceful as you leaving their wet towels in a heap for days and days.

This has me baffled every time I read about the different opinions regarding opting out of mousekeeping or not. The garbage (especially families who eat in the room), I understand being an issue. I understand wanting to come back to a clean room, etc. I understanding wanting more towels if it's super hot and you shower more than once a day. But who leaves their wet towels in a heap on the floor? Why not hang the towels to dry, as you would at home (unless you're a cleaning-maniac, and you change/wash towels to get a clean one every single day)?

This has me baffled every time I read about the different opinions regarding opting out of mousekeeping or not. The garbage (especially families who eat in the room), I understand being an issue. I understand wanting to come back to a clean room, etc. I understanding wanting more towels if it's super hot and you shower more than once a day. But who leaves their wet towels in a heap on the floor? Why not hang the towels to dry, as you would at home (unless you're a cleaning-maniac, and you change/wash towels to get a clean one every single day)?

We tried as often as possible to hang towels to dry. The tubs are so low and the shower curtain flimsy that with a family of four showering one after another, the floor would get very wet. We’d use the old towels as a bath mat.

It was never my intention to have a pile of towels build up on the floor, it just happened.

@Deanie1- we received a text that our room was ready. We were already walking past the front desk, I stopped to ask a CM if we could go directly to our room and bypass the desk she said yes but do you know about housekeeping? She wanted me to go to the desk to inquire. I told her I was aware of it and would not be opting out.

HOWEVER, our housekeeping was very inconsistent. We had days pass with no service. We never saw towel carts in our corridor. It was obvious the staff was drastically cut and they were pushing the guests to opt out.

They have not cut any staff. They cannot get enough people willing to do the job. They've recently upped the sign on bonus for housekeeping from $500-$1,000 to hopefully reduce the shortage. They have been forced to offer the opt out option because of this.

They have not cut any staff. They cannot get enough people willing to do the job. They've recently upped the sign on bonus for housekeeping from $500-$1,000 to hopefully reduce the shortage. They have been forced to offer the opt out option because of this.

I had no idea! Thanks for the insider info. Now everything makes sense.

I am not a cleaning maniac at all (although I keep a very clean hotel room and pick up before we check out), but every family has their own lifestyle. Just like we only eat butter, not margarine ...... we never reuse a towel. We wash our towels after every use. They go in a laundry basket at home.

Most hotels have a sign out as to handle your towels and if you hang them up that means you plan to reuse them. Since we want fresh towels we follow hotel standard instructions, put them on floor. They are fairly organized, all together next to the tub.

We are environmental in other ways.

3037679-inline-i-2-towelsign-1.jpg

BfpCgejCcAAp7TY.jpg

I am not a cleaning maniac at all (although I keep a very clean hotel room and pick up before we check out), but every family has their own lifestyle. Just like we only eat butter, not margarine ...... we never reuse a towel. We wash our towels after every use. They go in a laundry basket at home.

Most hotels have a sign out as to handle your towels and if you hang them up that means you plan to reuse them. Since we want fresh towels we follow hotel standard instructions, put them on floor. They are fairly organized, all together next to the tub.

We are environmental in other ways.
I've seen this done at a lot of hotels as well. It seems to be common now to hang them if you want to keep them and put them in a pile if you want them to get washed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter