Pop Century Room Renovations

Hello! I am staying Dec 6-12. We always stay at Pop and do preferred in the 50s section. This time I wasn't able to book preferred so we are staying standard for the first time ever. I always request 50s and ground floor and always get the desired room. I wanted to see what you guys suggested I do for my 2 requests. I definitely want a new room but I also want to be close to Classic Hall and I am willing to forgo ground floor request. Ideally I'd like to be in the 70s section but I don't think the building will be completed. Does any one know if the building that is completed in the 70s section is mostly preferred or standard?

TIA

:earsboy:

Hello! I am staying Dec 6-12. We always stay at Pop and do preferred in the 50s section. This time I wasn't able to book preferred so we are staying standard for the first time ever. I always request 50s and ground floor and always get the desired room. I wanted to see what you guys suggested I do for my 2 requests. I definitely want a new room but I also want to be close to Classic Hall and I am willing to forgo ground floor request. Ideally I'd like to be in the 70s section but I don't think the building will be completed. Does any one know if the building that is completed in the 70s section is mostly preferred or standard?

TIA

There will be one 70’s building renovated and open during your stay. That building is 50% preferred and 50% standard rooms. There is snap in post #2 on page 1 that night help you out.

1 building of the 70's section will be open but a good portion of those rooms are preferred rooms. There is no chance of the second 70's building being open by your dates as they only began refurbishments of the second building on Nov 1st.
Thanks again! I was just looking at the map (this is my first time staying at Pop!) It looks like there are more standard rooms in the 90s section than the 80s? They also look a little further out/less convenient? Do you think I'm more likely to get my request if I ask for 90's instead of 80s?

Thanks again! I was just looking at the map (this is my first time staying at Pop!) It looks like there are more standard rooms in the 90s section than the 80s? They also look a little further out/less convenient? Do you think I'm more likely to get my request if I ask for 90's instead of 80s?
. It’s hard to say. Word is out how great the refurbished rooms are so they are in high demand! Since less than 50% of the room is refurbished we’re hearing more and more of people being placed in non-refurbished rooms.

I️ added my own request for a refurbished room today and requested 80’s and 90’s hoping for a refurbished room but I️ also know I’ll be happy with whatever I️ get. (time to update the iPad code to fix the keyboard spellings! )

Oh I agree with you ... and I have no issue staying offsite when Disney rates bounce into unreasonable ranges but .... where is this going?

Gift cards to not get housekeeping helps ... address shortage of Mousekeepers and reducing late/missed cleanings but it’s likely profit loss for Disney on those rooms. Unless a large number take the offer it probably doesn't help or hurt in those ways. It seems to be a half-baked offering.

If Disney doesn't find a way to hire more housekeepers to maintain the open blocks of rooms then what is the next step? I was just suggesting that the idea BJ7644 had was viable but I don't see Disney introducing a third layer of housekeeping, rather they might replace one option. Now offering this with no incentive seems pointless since those who in the past refused service didn't want housekeeping in the room at all ... and those who expect full housekeeping still won't bite on reduced without incentive. An option could be make this the standard and charge for cleanings. Much like with my Mom's Marriott timeshare (and I assume others) - they get zero housekeeping except for the days they schedule and pay for.

Disney has determined the profit level they want from their rooms and unless they are prepared to reduce that margin, they will need to change the current service offerings. Or keep the gift card offer and raise room rates to cover it.
I hope that never happens. I understand no housekeeping for timeshares, it’s expected. But for standard hotel room, I don’t expect to pay for cleaning. I’m one of those people who enjoy coming back to a fresh room on vacation. Especially since we have longer stays. I don’t want to make beds, haul out trash, or have damp towels when we return to room. Just doesn’t say I’m on vacation to me. Doesn’t matter to me that we’re neat and my DDs are adults.
I don’t have a problem staying off site either if WDW hotels get too ridiculous. Those Disney Springs Hotels are pretty nice and walking distance to Disney Springs.

. It’s hard to say. Word is out how great the refurbished rooms are so they are in high demand! Since less than 50% of the room is refurbished we’re hearing more and more of people being placed in non-refurbished rooms.

I️ added my own request for a refurbished room today and requested 80’s and 90’s hoping for a refurbished room but I️ also know I’ll be happy with whatever I️ get. (time to update the iPad code to fix the keyboard spellings! )

How did you add a request for the refurbished room? By calling?

So if I have a standard room booked and ask for the 70s section, technically I would be put in building 10 as building 6 is the preferred rooms?

Edit to add: I guess the preferred rooms would be the ones closest to Classic Hall, regardless if in building 10 or 6.

Last edited:
If you request 70's and if you are given a room in the 70's you would be in the rooms furthest away from Classic Hall.

Just a heads up that many are requesting refurbished rooms so more and more often we're hearing of these requests not being granted due to lack of inventory of refurbished rooms.

Post #2 has a map that shows room types and locations.

I'll be getting there February 27 and would like a refurbished room, but I really want the top floor. So when I do my room requests, should I put highest floor and then call for refurbished room or should I put highest floor and one of the decades that's been refurbished.

I'll be getting there February 27 and would like a refurbished room, but I really want the top floor. So when I do my room requests, should I put highest floor and then call for refurbished room or should I put highest floor and one of the decades that's been refurbished.

I have the same question LOL

I have the same question LOL

Ditto for me. Although the refurbished is the number one priority. I just would prefer higher floor on top of that request, as I heard the new rooms are fairly noisy, and I would rather not have a herd of stampers and heavy walkers above me if possible. :crazy:

Ditto for me. Although the refurbished is the number one priority. I just would prefer higher floor on top of that request, as I heard the new rooms are fairly noisy, and I would rather not have a herd of stampers and heavy walkers above me if possible. :crazy:
I would prefer the highest floor, refurbished room or not. We always want the top floor. I am such a light sleeper that I can't stand noise. I usually turn the fan on from the thermostat to add some kind of noise. Hopefully, someone can give us a good answer.

I would request high floor first if that is more important than a refurbished room, and then make either 80’s or 90’s your second request. I think it might be to the benefit of those wanting both to skip online check in and go to the front desk instead. I did end up with a top floor refurbished room in September, but my only request was for a refurbished room. I was willing to take one in any building and on any floor.

I would request high floor first if that is more important than a refurbished room, and then make either 80’s or 90’s your second request. I think it might be to the benefit of those wanting both to skip online check in and go to the front desk instead. I did end up with a top floor refurbished room in September, but my only request was for a refurbished room. I was willing to take one in any building and on any floor.
I think I would much rather have a top floor than anything so I will put that in my request and maybe put 70,80,90 as it gets closer. I could see 70's being done by the time we get there February 27, but I will wait to make sure. I usually always go to the front desk for check-in anyway just to get a map and possibly switch rooms. We stayed at POR in March and they switched my room right then so it was much quicker than finding my room first and having to walk all the way back to the front desk.

I called for towels and misc room supplies. I just left our used towels on the floor in a pile by the front door and when we came back to the room they were gone and the clean towels and supplies were waiting for us on our bed closest to the door.

So apparently they won’t go into the bathroom to remove the old ones, but will take them if you leave them by the door.

I have to say I don’t miss the housekeeping. I don’t know if it’s just because we are neat, and I straighten out the beds every morning before we leave. We were slippers so I’m not noticing the floors getting very dirty. The tile on the bathroom floor is beige not white, and the grout is darker beige. I don’t think it looks dirty.

Halfway through our stay now and the only thing I don't like us the toilet! It's high so if you are 5'3", like me, or shorter your feet dangle. Apart from forgetting to refill the coffee drawer a couple of days, housekeeping had been consistent. Yes, I've heard a bit of guest noise but honestly I've never stayed in a hotel that you don't and it definitely hasn't been anywhere near the level of annoing.

I should mention that I think the height if the toilet is to make it ADA compliant as we also have the drop down support bar for the toilet and shower. I'll handle my feet dangling if it means someonelse has an easier time using it! Lol

We checked in Monday and got a refurbished first floor room looking at the small pool. We have never stayed at Pop Century before. I had no idea just how SMALL those rooms are and the mini refrigerator is not really a refrigerator it was tiny and barely even cool on the coldest setting. I use a scooter and have so many allergies I have not eaten in a restaurant in over 20 years so have my own food. This room would have been almost impossible for us to enjoy a day, let alone 5. We left immediately, went to the front desk and asked to be moved to another resort. They were so nice and after several phone calls we were given an accessible room in Alligator Bayou at POR (without any additional charge!). I've stayed in the mansion section of POR before, never the bayou (not my style furnishings I thought) but it's very cute and we have been very happy here. I know a lot of people love Pop and we were trying it out thinking maybe two connecting rooms would be good in a couple years when we come with our son, DIL and their four kids, but not a chance. Although the resort is cute, it just isn't for us. Last time we vacationed with them, we were in two Nemo suites and that was fine, but the kids were younger then. Looks like we'll be trying to save a lot of money and get a 2 bedroom villa at Old Key West for them for the 2019 trip we're planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter